"I think the Empire needs sane leaders."

Lium

No, I'm not aware of any galaxy spanning empires. I am aware of Earth regimes that died in a generation or less under the weight of their evil. I would provide examples, but it's against the forum rules.

Sure it has been no galaxy spanning empires yet, but then again humanity hasn't really reached that stage of territorial acquisition yet in real life, not to mention Star Wars empires don't tend to last long, a few generations and they crumble, the only problem is there's always some guy with an army and the ambition to seize power

No, I'm not aware of any galaxy spanning empires. I am aware of Earth regimes that died in a generation or less under the weight of their evil. I would provide examples, but it's against the forum rules. But in any event, the Sith are a particularly idiotic form of evil regime. The Emperor allows his subjects to waste resources fighting each other that could be better spent on conquest.

The Empire is a caricature of an evil empire. There's no way it could exist in reality.

Shhh... Star Wars fans do not like it when you point these things out. They don't like it when you point out that Star Wars is a high fantasy cartoon.

The Empire ranks right up there with C.H.A.O.S., Dr. Evil, and the Evil Goatee Star Trek alternate universe in the plausibility department.

NOTE: This is not meant to criticize the sillyness of Star Wars badguys. Silly cartoon evil is great in silly high fantasy.

Overall, I think the best storylines are the Imperial ones done somewhat LIGHT sided (you don't really have to pick lightsided every time it comes up, just pick the most sensible option) and Republic done somewhat gray (going full dark feels like playing a caricature of Empire, which is already a caricature on its own). These options raise the more interresting twists and questions, often shedding new lights and giving new insights about what's going on.

Not to mention, that every time I hear "You die now" in Black Talon, I know I'm missing out on some really easy social points. It's always more rewarding to question what appears to be going on, instead of blindly going "SMASH KILL", or "forgetting" to bring up a certain topic on Esseles because there was this white star next to one of the options without apparent reason.

... stuff ...

The Empire is a caricature of an evil empire. There's no way it could exist in reality.

I just wanted to play devil's advocate here (realizing that this is a work of fiction that contains all the trappings of classic hero tales and good vs evil bla bla bla).

Let's pretend that a large group of people (in a Galactic stage with FTL travel/communications) contained "magic" powers that could control, dominate and oppress others. Imagine that many of these people could even dominate your mind to the point where you were doing things against your own will and thinking they were right (a la super-hypnotism)

Add to that superweapons capable of such destruction on a planetary level, so that even those unaffected by the magic mind powers lived in fear of the potential of global retaliation.

Now imagine this empire was opposed by a group of people with similar magic power, but were intentionally limiting themselves because they felt it made them into "bad guys." Add to that the fact that like most democracies, it is rife with corruption and self interest and so has a hard time being effective.

Why couldn't the empire exist in such a reality? Even as a caricature?

Shhh... Star Wars fans do not like it when you point these things out. They don't like it when you point out that Star Wars is a high fantasy cartoon.

:wink:

Edited by Khevar

I dont think they play tested dark side republic, I played a full dark side consular, its flat out broken.

In 3 instances I can remember, the council doesn't recognize the decisions you have made and done when it comes to saving fallen jedi, and at the end of it, they praise you for saving them, and how important is was to do so, even though I slaughtered them all?

They were giant sized What The F*** moments in this game for me.

I dont think they play tested dark side republic, I played a full dark side consular, its flat out broken.

In 3 instances I can remember, the council doesn't recognize the decisions you have made and done when it comes to saving fallen jedi, and at the end of it, they praise you for saving them, and how important is was to do so, even though I slaughtered them all?

They were giant sized What The F*** moments in this game for me.

As much as I like the Consular story overall, it is true that the DS story wasn't subject to sufficient quality assurance.

I just wanted to play devil's advocate here (realizing that this is a work of fiction that contains all the trappings of classic hero tales and good vs evil bla bla bla).

Let's pretend that a large group of people (in a Galactic stage with FTL travel/communications) contained "magic" powers that could control, dominate and oppress others. Imagine that many of these people could even dominate your mind to the point where you were doing things against your own will and thinking they were right (a la super-hypnotism)

Add to that superweapons capable of such destruction on a planetary level, so that even those unaffected by the magic mind powers lived in fear of the potential of global retaliation.

Now imagine this empire was opposed by a group of people with similar magic power, but were intentionally limiting themselves because they felt it made them into "bad guys." Add to that the fact that like most democracies, it is rife with corruption and self interest and so has a hard time being effective.

Why couldn't the empire exist in such a reality? Even as a caricature?

:wink:

Based on the actions of the Sith as portrayed in the game and in other literature, there would be no Empire. Just a number of warring fiefdoms where warlords held sway over their own little evil dominion. The Sith don't necessarily work toward the best interest of the Empire. In many cases they actively oppose the Empire's end to increase their own power.

That's just the Sith. I also assume that all of the rational beings that would be subject to this insanity would rise up early and often. Wasn't that the plot of Ep. 4-6? ;)

Edited by Master-Nala

I play companion-sexual characters, which may not make much sense (especially same sex ones, or at least hopefully until Makeb is launched), but I really do like most of the comps in the game. At first I just tried to romance Vette and Jaessa for my SW, but the game doesn't let you romance two comps at once, so I just made the head canon that he is romancing one on the sides. For Sorc, the way I see it is she is more like Palpatine; she is saying what Ashara wants to hear and playing off to her sensibilities and ideals to twist her to the dark side.

Also, I'm sure I probably mentioned this before somewhere; but I do like how Ashara just doesn't 180 over to the Sith and dark side like Jaessa, or at least DS Jaessa. (I've never tried a light side warrior yet, may have to try that- only gripe is that Jaessa can only be wooed on DS [They seriously need to fix that :( ] ) But you actually have to work, manipulate, reason, and convince her to accept the Sith or at least see the Empire/Sith in a better light. My IA was actually tempted to

take Jadus's offer at the end of Chapter 1

. The way I play him is he is a womanizer and skirt chaser. He is sauve and manipulative and is just out to have fun.

The right choice isn't always the good decision and vice versa. The main thing that alignment systems in game rules fail to take into consideration is the "motive". The consequences of your choices are rarely put into the balance and not to mention the reasons of your character. That's the additional layer that you add to the depth of your character or some might call it the "RP layer".

You might be all kind and nice to someone but your motives might be because this type of behaviour would benefit you more, because you want to use and manipulate that person and even dispose of them once they are no longer serving a purpose in your evil schemes. The game would interpret your kind actions as good and give you light side points, but are they truly good? Definitely no.

Imagine Palpatine. That kind, warm and concerned old man, politely smiling and doing what he can for the good of the people. He would have acquired the maximum light side points until the moment in Episode III where he goes "I am the senate!". And consequently, thanks to all his maneuvering and carefully laid plans, he wipes out the Jedi and becomes the sole ruler of the galaxy.

A true Sith isn't the mindless mongrel who goes around slaughtering Jawas because he is "that evil". Most of the time in game the smart choice for a Sith is precisely the Light or Neutral choice.

For example (False Emperor spoiler)

If you pick the Light side choice in the dialogue with Arkis Wode you make him turn the weapons of the station against Malgus' own fleet. If you pick the Dark option, however, he warns Malgus that you're coming and you plainly kill him, While the Imperial fleet continues to suffer heavy casualties. Where is the sense in the Dark choice? Just once again lunatic bloodthirsty imperial hurting their own empire.

Edited by Darth_Haderach

I tend to play a more gray light side character. I naturally gravitate towards the light side in most cases, however I don't always choose an option because it will net me more light side points, especially if it clashes with my character building so far. For instance, as the Smuggler I am definitely a good guy, but I will frequently choose the option that will net me more credits because I think it fits with my character more than choosing the light option, and I'll occasionally pick the dark option if I think it makes sense(killing someone despicable).

Same with my Sith Assassin. I tend to favor the light, but I will choose dark when it suits my purposes.

In all honesty I can choose dark most times, except those times that it is just thuggish, like robbing an old man, etc. When I play evil, I prefer evil on a grander scale, such as blowing up planets :csw_vader:

That I can get behind from a roleplaying standpoint, but who wants to be the mindless thug that picks on the little guy, not me anyway.

That's why the Empire always ends up losing to the Republic. If they all stopped bickering and backstabbing each other, they'd have taken over the galaxy long ago.

The Empire wins in the end.... its called "The New galactic Empire" ( 138 ABY )

The Empire wins in the end.... its called "The New galactic Empire" ( 138 ABY )

Short lived though ;) The rule of two was quite successful in eventually conquering the galaxy, but one of the core tenets of the Star Wars universe is that good eventually triumphs over evil, like in the case of Darth Vader's redemption.