Dear TaitWatson: The Companion Romance System NEEDS to be fixed.

Swedguy

Can I just say that I'm absolutely disguisted by the lack of communication from the devs about this? :mad:

Sadly this is Bioware Standard Operating Procedure.

Theyve been ignoring Vector Hylus and Lord Scourge wearing bras for over four years now. (They are male, and dont have the moobs necessary to need bras :p)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this is Bioware Standard Operating Procedure.

Theyve been ignoring Vector Hylus and Lord Scourge wearing bras for over four years now. (They are male, snd dont have moobs to need bras :p)

I'm more concerned that their voices are still messed up. I'm reluctant to use them until it is fixed because it is so jarring. No response on that issue either. :mad:

"I am Protocol Droid M0-T0, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us about the issue you encountered. This particular case appears to have been caused by a bug within the game that will need to be corrected in a future game update and as such, cannot be corrected by Customer Service.

To allow us to identify and correct these issues, we would request that you submit a Bug Report on this issue. Bug Reports submitted though the In-Game Help Center go directly to our development QA team and not to Customer Service. To submit a bug, you can type /bug in your chat window or select Bug Report from the drop down when creating a new ticket in the In-Game Help Center.

We also recommend checking the latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes for information on any fixes or changes in our game updates or our Known Bugs list, located at the top of our Bug Forums which can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and to thank you again for the valuable feedback you have provided. Please do not hesitate to report any other issues you may encounter while playing."

You gotta be kidding me, BioWare, HOW MANY MORE BUG REPORTS DO YOU NEED????

Hey everyone,

We have seen quite a few reports about the Romance system being broken, and I wanted to clarify a few things. A number of the issues being reported are not, in fact, bugged.

The big one is Iresso. While Iresso is not alone in not acknowledging your romance, he has become the name surrounding the whole situation. In this case, there is a bug – the romance variables for some of the pre-KOTFE companions are being improperly assessed, leading to the appearance that they aren’t romanced even if they are. This fix is scheduled for 4.1 but is not finalized yet. What should have occurred is that when you completed Chapter I of Fallen Empire, you would receive a mail from your romance. We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues. It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

As for Courting gifts, we are aware that they are only able to be consumed by Nico Okarr. At first we thought he was just greedy, but we found out it’s because of the change from Affection to Influence, and the Courting Gifts not making the appropriate swap. This is also scheduled for Game Update 4.1.

Best,

Tait

Thank you, Tait. While we had hoped that this bug would have been acknowledged sooner, we are thankful that it is now on the list for 4.1.

What about the case where companion custcene conversations are being randomly dropped? It is not a romance bug per se, but definitely has an affect on the romances, especially when it comes down to a romance being activated when it shouldn't have been.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8734274&postcount=50

Hey everyone,

We have seen quite a few reports about the Romance system being broken, and I wanted to clarify a few things. A number of the issues being reported are not, in fact, bugged.

The big one is Iresso. While Iresso is not alone in not acknowledging your romance, he has become the name surrounding the whole situation. In this case, there is a bug – the romance variables for some of the pre-KOTFE companions are being improperly assessed, leading to the appearance that they aren’t romanced even if they are. This fix is scheduled for 4.1 but is not finalized yet. What should have occurred is that when you completed Chapter I of Fallen Empire, you would receive a mail from your romance. We believe that this issue is also affecting pre-KOTFE content as well; please let us know once the fix is live if you notice any issues. It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

As for Courting gifts, we are aware that they are only able to be consumed by Nico Okarr. At first we thought he was just greedy, but we found out it’s because of the change from Affection to Influence, and the Courting Gifts not making the appropriate swap. This is also scheduled for Game Update 4.1.

Best,

Tait

Thank you for the reply Tait! I'm fine without a letter, it's a pretty minor thing and it's still deleted after a month :)

It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

The letter in and of itself is no big deal (IMO), but I am wondering: if / when the romanced companion returns to the game in person, will this 'not retroactive' issue have irrevocably impacted how they react to our characters?

Edited by DarthDymond

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them.

Best,

Tait

Given the ambiguity of that choice due to (appallingly) bad script writing this really does need a fix as well.

Of 4 Toons that were Romancing Lana pre-KOTFE only one is now, because of the badly scripted encounter that triggers the Romance option.

Given how much emphasis BW has put on Companion Romances and "choices that matter" it is wholly unacceptable that such a choice be so badly presented that many (if not most) players missed it.

All The Best

The romance system lacks any kind of visibility of its persistence across the game. What it needs is some form of "romantic interest" gauge that can be tracked the same as influence. Not only that but we need some way of knowing that if we don't cross a threshold to begin a romance in one chapter or another of the storyline that we still might be able to in the future.

Romances shouldn't have a baked-in number diminishing opportunities on them where you miss out on it if you choose to follow what you feel your character is ready to say rather than saying whatever you have to in order to achieve a game mechanic. If that means you have to record or write more dialogue, then do it.

Edited by ZorClone

Best,

Tait

Not a word about the situation when you have romance with companion you never flirted with... But that's a start, definitely.

to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) ... you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know!

What is the "particular option"? And how do we know whether we have successfully chosen it?

The companion romance system is frustratingly opaque at the present time. Bioware, please consider adding some romance indicators to the user interface.

What is the "particular option"? And how do we know whether we have successfully chosen it?

The companion romance system is frustratingly opaque at the present time. Bioware, please consider adding some romance indicators to the user interface.

The option is the [FLIRT] choice during the cantina conversation. You can flirt with one of the romance companions or simply talk to one of them. Choosing the flirt option leads to a choice where you can lock in the romance (there is no confusion at this point if you have done so; there's an acknowledgement on the Companions & Contacts tab under the chosen romance afterwards). From what Tait has said, if you miss this opportunity, you don't have a second chance.

The letter in and of itself is no big deal (IMO), but I am wondering: if / when the romanced companion returns to the game in person, will this 'not retroactive' issue have irrevocably impacted how they react to our characters?

This is my question as well as this is the issue affecting (thankfully only) one of my characters. I'm not too concerned about the letter but if my romance turns up & doesn't acknowledge the romance I am going to be all kinds of annoyed as its one of my oldest characters.

Thanks for the response though, Tait. It took much too long to get even this much information but at least it's a step in the right direction. Also thanks to everyone who kept this issue alive until a response came through.

"I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know! "

The problem is that many of us screwed this up the first run through and it is NOT our fault (trying for Lana). At the critical "flirt" option the character on screen is NOT Lana. It's been a while so I forget if it was Theron or Koth on the screen (I think it was Koth). If you choose the Flirt option then, then another one comes up asking if you meant Lana or whichever male character it was.

There needs to be some way for those of us in that scenario to fix this and properly romance Lana instead.

It is worth pointing out that this change is not retroactive: if you have already started Fallen Empire, you will not receive the letter.

This sucks majorly. Very disappointed :(

Edited by UlaVii

The option is the [FLIRT] choice during the cantina conversation. You can flirt with one of the romance companions or simply talk to one of them. Choosing the flirt option leads to a choice where you can lock in the romance (there is no confusion at this point if you have done so; there's an acknowledgement on the Companions & Contacts tab under the chosen romance afterwards). From what Tait has said, if you miss this opportunity, you don't have a second chance.

Hmmm... so even though my character romanced Lana during SoR, and kissed Lana multiple times during KotFE, by choosing not to flirt with Theron (or so I thought), then my character's romance with Lana is now over?

Seems legit. Definitely one of those "choices that matter".

I have also seen mention of not being able to romance one of the new characters (Lana, Theron, Koth) being a bug. As far as we can tell, this is not bugged at this time. In order to romance these characters, you must consistently choose flirt options with them throughout KOTFE (having a relationship with Theron or Lana back in Shadow of Revan also contributes to their romances, but is not required) and you must choose a particular option in Chapter IX to pursue a full romance with one of them. If anyone finds that this is not the case for their character, definitely let us know! Tait

Here is the problem with romancing Lana.

In Chapter 9 you are talking to both Lana and Theron. A conversation option comes up with "I would like to talk to one of you (flirt)" and Theron is on the screen. Most people thought this meant you were going to flirt with Theron if you took the flirt option so many people didn't flirt. Because of this, we are now locked out of the Lana romance. Is anything being done to fix this?

Hey everyone,

Best,

Tait

I'm fine without a letter, but will romanced companions react properly when reintroduced to the players?

Here is the problem with romancing Lana.

In Chapter 9 you are talking to both Lana and Theron. A conversation option comes up with "I would like to talk to one of you (flirt)" and Theron is on the screen. Most people thought this meant you were going to flirt with Theron if you took the flirt option so many people didn't flirt. Because of this, we are now locked out of the Lana romance. Is anything being done to fix this?

^^This. I also missed out on the Lana romance on my main character because of the poor cinematography in that scene, thinking the flirt option was for Theron. (there was an earlier thread about this at 4.0 launch in the suggestions forum I think)

I dearly hope there will be some sort of fix for this.

I'm fine without a letter, but will romanced companions react properly when reintroduced to the players?

yeah this is what I was wondering as well, i can't tell if this is saying that our characters wont get the letter or their romance is also not getting fixed (i assume its the former, but you know what assuming does...)

Finally! A response! Thank you, TaitWatson. Shame the original thread went 59 pages/over 2 months and almost 600 posts with no response.

I am fine with not receiving a letter, as long as I know that when Felix Iresso is reintroduced into the story he will remember that we were a couple. That is important.

I'd also like to point out that in the thread I started, that I never said that he (Iresso) didn't acknowledge our relationship. It was that it was not an option to confirm the relationship with him (Iresso) in my conversation(s) with Valkorion. Sorry for any confusion that might have resulted from said post.

Edited by TinaLovesHan

Best,

Tait

This isn't correct, Tait. Doc loves Courting. He's the one I've been giving all of mine to.

Hey everyone,

Best,

Tait

Tait, it's not just courting gifts that are messed up. It's any gifts that are supposed to get more effective for a companion when being romanced. (luxury is supposed to be favorited by Vette and loved by Kira when romanced but instead stays as liked and favorited for example)

http://pastebin.com/mdmFhBdu - this is a list of all the gift categories and what their values should be when given to a romanced companion but is not. If a companion is not listed on there, then their gift values do not change. Tait, I implore you to read this and forward it to the devs so they know and understand that it's more than just the Courting gifts that are messed up.

Edited by GuerillaTech
More details were added.