Gear Tiers

There seems to be alot of discrepancy in the forums about which "tier" is what. I see some people label tiers 1, 2 and 3, while others label 1, 1.5, and 2. I read a thread yesterday wherein someone labeled something "tier 1.4". Wat?

It seems to make the most sense T1 is tionese or any equivalent which adds to a value of 126. In pvp this would be centurion. T1.5 would be 136 items, columni or named equivalent, which can be relatively easily accumulated by a toon with several slots short of t1, but it's a little nicer, like a slightly luckier drop for the same difficulty. Similarly in pvp, champion gear has no valor requirement.

T2 is rakata or battlemaster. To get the second tier gear, a toon must be mostly geared in T1 or equivalent to participate in HM or NM ops. Similarly, battlemaster has valor 60 requirement.

Doesn't this make the most sense or am I completely off-base?

We name it Tier 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 since this is most logical way to name it.

You have one raidtier in three different qualities.

Next raidtier in will be 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3.

Agreed this is the best way to name them since it shouldn't go to tier 2 unless the set bonus changes

There is no fixed convention in game for naming tiers, people like myself who have never played WoW call it Tier 1, 2, 3 and others called it Tier 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. It is really easiest to refer by names to avoid confusion: tionese/centurion || columi/champion || rakata/battlemaster.

For rakata at least, the rating is 140, whereas Tionese and columi are 126 and 136 respectively so technically rakata is half a tier (a full tier would be 146)