Deep AP pvp viability.

Shadowharte

I couldn't find another thread on this, but if there is please just link and I will go there.

I currently am playing pyrotech, but I wish to find a way to somehow make the AP viable. I have read a few threads that you have half/half fighting over if its worth anything period so thats not really what I want to see. I just want to see if anyone has made a 31 or 34 point deep AP spec work well in pvp. I do realize my dmg will not be as high, but hoping to not hit it hard enough for me to have to rage quit from not being able to collect on any corpse.

Taugrim's guide has all the info you'd need for a build like that. There's a neat little video where you can see him running the spec too. He's got a couple of specs outlined that are pretty much these

- Short-Range Shutdown DPS: 8/31/2 Powertech: provides high mobility, strong elemental and internal damage mechanics, and short CC cooldowns

- Run-and-Gun: 1/22/18 Powertech: blends the cooldown reset proc for Rail Shot (High Impact Bolt) with the in-combat sprint and short CC cooldowns of the middle tree.

Hope that helps!

Also wondering would the short range takedown still be viable if I took 1 point away from the aim boost and 2 from the stabalized armor and got the 15% bleed dmg increase?

Edit: Not take 1 from aim boost. I would take the 2 from stabilized armor and 1 from the kolto vents which according to even taugrim vents are useless. I would like to take the 1 from aim still and add to charged gauntlets, but don't know if the 3% aim would increase dmg enough to make it ok to ignore the auto crit from a railshot. I would also consider taking the remaining two points from aim boost and placing it in Power Armor.

Anyone have any views on this?

Basically I am looking at 7/32/2 or 5/34/2 to be a variant of the Close Range Shutdown build 8/31/2

Edited by Shadowharte

I couldn't find another thread on this, but if there is please just link and I will go there.

I currently am playing pyrotech, but I wish to find a way to somehow make the AP viable. I have read a few threads that you have half/half fighting over if its worth anything period so thats not really what I want to see. I just want to see if anyone has made a 31 or 34 point deep AP spec work well in pvp. I do realize my dmg will not be as high, but hoping to not hit it hard enough for me to have to rage quit from not being able to collect on any corpse.

I wouldnt say you will rage quit, but you will definitely switch back to pyro or some hybrid spec. AP will not give you the punch to take down anything, and its survivability is nothing compared to a hybrid or ST pvp spec. So besides being able to run away from someone, you will be contributing much less to the WZ as opposed to the other used specs.

People can rave about certain talents of the tree, and theoretically say it is good for some role. But the fact of the matter is, it is a "broken" tree. Which is unfortunate because regardless of the put downs I and others say about the tree, the majority wished it was otherwise. I am sure a large number of PTs would play AP if it is revamped.

I am wondering if the spec is as bad as everyone else makes it out to seem, why is it that Taugrim says it is viable in pvp used correctly?

Edit: Not to make it sound like I don't value others input, but several people have told me to see his guide, kinda making him sound like one of the major players for this AC. I just didn't know if he was the only one that has seemed to make it work.

Edited by Shadowharte

I am wondering if the spec is as bad as everyone else makes it out to seem, why is it that Taugrim says it is viable in pvp used correctly?

Edit: Not to make it sound like I don't value others input, but several people have told me to see his guide, kinda making him sound like one of the major players for this AC. I just didn't know if he was the only one that has seemed to make it work.

With all due respect to Taugrim, I along with many other players have tried to squeeze every bit of viability out of the tree and couldnt. If dps PTs were split 75% pyros and 25%APs, I would say there may be some merit in the tree. But when the vast majority are running Pyros or Hybrid, it tells you the tree has some serious issues and it does.

Furthermore, Taugrim's video shows him in a hybrid "tank" spec, not a deep AP spec.

In my opinion dps>survivability in PvP. But tanks and hybrid can still work in pvp for their utilities. In that case, you're better off choosing something other than AP.

Bottom line, there isnt any role or functionality that the AP tree gives that you cant get and much more with the other specs.

My play style in pvp is dps. And because I enjoy it and know its strength and weaknesses, I never once wish I had more survivability. To me, the more dps you can do, the higher your survivability. You play Pyro long enough, you dont feel outclassed against ANY other AC. When I have a little bit of a hard time, it is often against a healer, and it is usually my fault because I didnt time my bursts and interrupts properly.

Edited by Agooz

I don't understand what everyone cries about with AP. I am now close to lvl 20 and with every level up and new skill gained that is meant for this build... I do better every time. Usually still leading with kills and medals; usually a tiny amount of deaths too.

I think everyone needs to just pick their favored play style or class and enjoy it.

Mine seems to be the AP BH.

I will mention though.... I see no reason to go to the top of this tree.

My personal play style...

I don't understand what everyone cries about with AP. I am now close to lvl 20 and with every level up and new skill gained that is meant for this build... I do better every time. Usually still leading with kills and medals; usually a tiny amount of deaths too.

I think everyone needs to just pick their favored play style or class and enjoy it.

Mine seems to be the AP BH.

I will mention though.... I see no reason to go to the top of this tree.

My personal play style...

Bookmark this thread, gain more experience with the class, get to 50, hit the 50 pvp bracket, then come back here and rewrite your statement. Wishing you all the best. :D

And BTW, not a single Pyro is crying about anything. We're all laughing actually. Not that we dont want the AP tree to be viable, just saying.

Edited by Agooz

I see no reason why having MORE SKILLS won't increase the fun.

Not to mention; I have a few I am dying to replace. Flame thrower for example.

Which is nearly pointless in pvp.

... I wish you could move with it. Not that it would help a lot...

But it would do better than it does.

AP is fun, it's just not as good as what you get w/ the other two trees.

Earlier you said you see no reason to go to the top of the tree. After you're 50 and start to gear out, you will start to realize there's also no real reason to go to the middle of the tree.

After that, you very quickly figure out that you can spec into any of the other two trees and still pick up everything you want from the bottom of the AP tree.

At that point, you will be where the rest of us are, and wish that the mid-top talents were better, because you actually did like being AP... but you also like to not perform below where you should be.

All from a PvP standpoint, btw.

Edited by Varicite

I know none of his videos have a deep ap in it, but he did state in his guide that it is viable and there was a deep ap build under his Recommended specs section. I am wanting to try something besides pyro, but then again I am not level 50 yet I am sitting at 33 currently. At lower levels I kept switching back and forth between pyro and AP because I kept getting frustrated not being able to stay in 4-10m range to any target who felt like kiting me, which in turn caused me to get rolled since I could not use most of my needed skils. I want to do a decent damage, but I do not want to be squishy. Main reason I am so focused on making ap work is this build is the entire reason I rolled PT. I am starting to realize unless certain skills are changed (some overhauled, some minor tweaks) then it will not be viable and I am going to have to learn how to survive better with the pyro. I am undergeared from lack of funds and I sometimes forget to weave rapid shots in causing me to over heat which is one reason i kept going back to ap at lower levels because it was easier to stay in target heat range.

According to the patch notes, a 0/22/18+1 (using CGC of course) build may actually be pretty potent, but I still think the AP tree needs an overall damage increase, or its reliance on Flamethrower broken somehow.

RB snare would allow you to skip the FB snare if you want, although I'm not sure where else you'd drop those 2 points. Endurance or maybe GAJ, I'm leaning GAJ.

Auto-crit Rail Shots are nice, but Pyro will still be using it 2-3 times as often.

Sucks for tank hybrids though. :c

Edited by Varicite

According to the patch notes, a 0/22/18+1 (using CGC of course) build may actually be pretty potent, but I still think the AP tree needs an overall damage increase, or its reliance on Flamethrower broken somehow.

RB snare would allow you to skip the FB snare if you want, although I'm not sure where else you'd drop those 2 points. Endurance or maybe GAJ, I'm leaning GAJ.

Auto-crit Rail Shots are nice, but Pyro will still be using it 2-3 times as often.

Sucks for tank hybrids though. :c

I really doubt the extra crits will compensate the lost damage from Rain of Fire, Firebug, burnout and TD.

I really doubt the extra crits will compensate the lost damage from Rain of Fire, Firebug, burnout and TD.

Don't smash my hopes! I really want this damn spec to work lol. I still think the fire related skills should go to the pyro tree and the prototype skill should go to the proto tree...

Edit: Just in case AP still fails to even come close to any other specs you can run...any have any suggestions for pvp focused build besides the basic deep pyro? I like good dmg, but I would like a little bit of survivability.

Edited by Shadowharte

Don't smash my hopes! I really want this damn spec to work lol. I still think the fire related skills should go to the pyro tree and the prototype skill should go to the proto tree...

Edit: Just in case AP still fails to even come close to any other specs you can run...any have any suggestions for pvp focused build besides the basic deep pyro? I like good dmg, but I would like a little bit of survivability.

I don't really know of a spec that has good damage and survivability for a PT.

You can go Iron Fist, or a ST variant for survival.

You can go Pyro, or a variant for damage.

Or you can go AP for mobility and utility, but you won't really have the survival of a ST or the damage of Pyro. You won't be terrible, but you won't excel at either; jack of all trades, master at... staying on bridges.

Those are pretty much your only choices for deep specs.