Is TOR done growing?

JediMasterShake

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your denial is showing. WoW is an outlier as far as MMOs go and Call of Duty isn't even an MMO.

Quote me if you like: TOR is just a more expensive Warhammer. The Titanic has set sail again but under a different name.

You clearly missed my point.

Those games have nothing to do with each other, but somehow they determine the success of another game.

You used the failure of other games to predict this games. I used the success of my games to show the success of tor.

My point is that the LOGIC IS FLAWED.

It was called sarcasm.

The game will have a BIG decline on the 20th, will it grow afterwards? Doubtful.

half right

The game will have a big declice on the 20th

Long as its not over 50%, thats pretty much acceptable!

However, the game will then RISE (not decline) for the next 6-12 months.

The fall off will happen after the first expansion. If its lack luster and some key stuff havent been addressed in game, thats when TOR will start to see a steady decline!

This is NOT SWG

There is not going to be a 70% drop after the first month, rising to 80% by month 3.

The game is far better then that and will not suffer that same fate.

Im not saying in 2-3 years TOR doesnt go F2P because of low subscriptions.

Bioware and EA made allot of dumb choices that will effect them in the long run, thats on them and them alone.

But this game is more then strong enough and addictive enough to remain strong for the first year.

Does anyone know how many subs those others MMOs had right after launch? Did any of them reach 2 mil like TOR did?

I'm trying to find a precedent, since I do believe that TOR will be on decline from now on.

WAR sold about 800k boxes in the first month - totally failed. Conan about 700k, same thing. They both basically totally failed within 3 months. Same order of magnitude, but TOR is definitely bigger, for sure. And this big difference is that there are a lot more devoted fans of the IP (star wars fans/bioware fans) that will keep this game well afloat.

I'd say 700k to 1 mil subs are not going ANYWHERE in the first 6 months. They will stick through it no matter what, even if the game was cursing at them and calling their mother names. But as for the other 1 mil, those people just want a great game, and I think they'll find it elsewhere.

You clearly missed my point.

Those games have nothing to do with each other, but somehow they determine the success of another game.

You used the failure of other games to predict this games. I used the success of my games to show the success of tor.

My point is that the LOGIC IS FLAWED.

It was called sarcasm.

He used those others games as examples of rushed games with bad launches not working out very well in the long run.

SWG was was a lot more broke than this (Anyone for running around for half a year with no mounts?) Endless bugs and such but, players stuck by it.

The way some folk have been going on you'd think swtor has been out for a year.

stick wth it, or move on. It really is as easy as that.

Can't tell if sarcastic or not. Let's not get carried away .

Kotor II is probably the most brilliant deconstruction of the Star Wars universe and has arguably the greatest antagonist in all of video games in the form of Kreia. Kotor was a good game, one of my favorites, but Kotor II just blew it out of the water. Better characterization, better writing...god I love that game.

He used those others games as examples of rushed games with bad launches not working out very well in the long run.

Swtor had a GREAT launch.

So that doesn't make ANY SENSE.

This game blew those out of the water in every aspect.

How are they the same???

By that logic..

Wow sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great right?

Call of duty sold a lot of units opening week. It's doing great right?

Swtor sold a lot of units opening week.

Tor will follow.

By the logic..

Well Call of duty is not MMORPG but you are right about one thing. So far WoW is only MMORPG that sold lots of units at opening and is doing great.

Even if it doesn't continue growing after the 20th, I won't complain. Hopefully a lot of the whiners on the forums will go with them if that's the case.

Funny thing is the Age of Conan, Warhammer online, Star Trek online and Champions online fanboi's said the exact same thing :)

It's a hard question to answer. I think that there are many people that stayed away from this game to see how it goes. I have friends joining at the end of the month, I have others who are waiting to see how the 3 month period goes before making a decision.

I think after three months we will have a pretty good picture of where we are and where the game will go. It is FAR to early to tell right now.

Edited by Mandrax

Kotor II is probably the most brilliant deconstruction of the Star Wars universe and has arguably the greatest antagonist in all of video games in the form of Kreia. Kotor was a good game, one of my favorites, but Kotor II just blew it out of the water. Better characterization, better writing...god I love that game.

You are welcome to your opinion but just no. I got to disagree with every point you just made.

Edited by Skaara

you can't really judge the future of an MMO by release... as with all MMOs you will see rises when new things are released then declines afterward.. even WoW follows this.. they release an Xpack their subs go up only to fall a little while afterward... the telling will be in how many the game retains from each of those rises... we simply do not have enough data to make anything other than random speculations biased by opinion at this point

Oh wow.

Just because you didn't like it, I know for a fact that it is listed as one of the smoothest launches in MMO history. I'd gather a lot of people agree with that notion.

Outside the .01% complainers that are these forums until the 20th.