A Question about Miraluka Vision

JadeBranch

Miraluka are blind but they can also see through the Force, that much I know. However, I don't know to what extent they CAN see and am interested to know, especially since I am interested in possibly roleplaying one.

However, the deciding factor with whether or not I will play one is dependent on the answer of a question:

How does Miraluka vision work?

Can they see everything that a normal human being does or is their vision more like Toph where the Force guides them but has limitations?

Miraluka don't physically possess eyes, so can't perceive the galaxy as humans do.

If you'd like to RP as a Miraluka, and if you have access to it, I would suggest playing Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords.

The Miraluka are explored in depth in that game through the character Visas Marr, and you can actually gain the ability of Force Sight and see how it works in game.

Or, you can simply watch the Youtube video of it

:

I've been toying with the same idea, and had the same question and found the following on the force sight article on wookiepedia

The Miraluka relied on this power constantly to compensate for their physical blindness. They could not perceive colors but could distinguish organics (even dead) and their alignment from the surrounding environment by their characteristic aura. Most objects, including doors and walls, appeared translucent, allowing to see through them. The Miralukas were the most skilled experts of the technique. Thanks to it, their reflexes were strengthened enormously.

I'm not really sure I understand. :/

A lot of the times in fantasy, someone will be blind but through magic or whatever they are able to see pretty much exactly like a normal person would except they are blind and have a gimmick that makes them see like others.

Top from Avatar is the only character I've seen who has been able to sense things, but still pretty clearly blind and suffering all the limitations like someone who is.

Bluntly put, are they like Toph?

No. They see through the force, so, think of this way. Some things are really in focus-living things, Jedi and Sith especially (In Kotor 2 you could see alignment), other things, like droids, would be out focus, or rather a better word may be dull. Assumingly, the Vong or whatever those forceless creatures are called would be invisble to them.

But they don't see the physical, they see the spiritual essentially.

I'm not really sure I understand. :/

A lot of the times in fantasy, someone will be blind but through magic or whatever they are able to see pretty much exactly like a normal person would except they are blind and have a gimmick that makes them see like others.

Top from Avatar is the only character I've seen who has been able to sense things, but still pretty clearly blind and suffering all the limitations like someone who is.

Bluntly put, are they like Toph?

In KOTOR 2 they saw like: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071128192439/swgames/images/0/04/513px-Force_sight.jpg

Now granted I doubt it would actually look exactly like that, as it was no doubt done this way for gameplay reasons. But I imagine it is something similar to that.

Think of it as a type of active sonar using the force that doesn't shut off, kind of like how bats "see" in the dark.

Miraluka don't have eyes at all (which is why they wear the blindfolds) so they have adapted their other senses to compensate.

Just because a species is blind doesn't necessarily mean that they are at a disadvantage...in many cases sight is purely optional...for a real world example, there are hundreds of species of deep sea fish that can't see at all, but they are fully capable of surviving and thriving in an environment that would kill any normal fish placed into it.

The Miraluka are much the same. They are not limited by their blindness, as they never possessed conventional sight in the first place.

They simply developed different senses.

If you want to truly experience what it is like, try this experiment.

Find a quiet room in your house and turn off all the lights, then go sit in the middle of the room and close your eyes...if you want a real challenge, then add a blindfold.

After you've done that, try really listening to the environment around you, and see just how many things you can identify by the sounds they make, without your sight to aid you.

While it may become disconcerting at first, after a while your body will adjust, and you will find yourself with a greater awareness of your surroundings, despite being blind.

That should give you an idea what it is like to be a Miraluka.

Edited by Loclif

The whole race is force sensitive. They see through the force. Not having eyes isn't a lack for them. Technically they're not really blind anymore than a worm is blind, though they're described as such in some of the materials. Edited by cioran

like everyone said....they see through the force...the best example i can give is in the move dare devil. The hero could see sound waves. I`m guessing its the same idea but more advanced. There are lighside users and darkside users and those who do not believe in the force - but the force is everywhere....Look up a clip on youtube.

Also because they don't have eyes they aren't limited to whats in front of them. For example a person with eyes can perceive the thing in their field of vision but if you are standing behind them they can't see you, yet if your a Miraluka they can be behind you, to the side, or in any direction and you will have an awareness of their presence. Making sneaking and stealth field generator pretty much absolute. At least that's what I think.