Rediculous ammount of smuggler loot in OPs

So, it seems that Biowares loot tables for OPs are stupidly bugged or broken. We are doing Hard modes EVs and KPs and are seeing multiple items for smuggler drop per boss. Im not talking about each boss dropping 1 smuggler item, im talking about each boss dropping ONLY smuggler loot.

We did 16 man KP tonight, and i kid you not, we had 12+ pieces of smuggler rakata based gear drop. We have 1 smuggler in the raid. 2 of the bosses dropped the 3-4 of the same smuggler item and nothing for other classes. Karraga himself dropped 3 smuggler main hand weapons.

Our smugglers all have fulll rakata at least 3 or 4 times over.

Please bioware change the loot tables up a bit. Do all you devs play smuggler or what? What is the reason to give the least played class the highest chance of getting loot drops.

BW sort your loot tables out!!!

Completely agree we've had this same issue almost every raid now. Seems like bioware either made another mistake or simply tryed to encourage players to roll smugglers. Please bioware fix this it is far from fair that other classes get no loot because of bad loot tables. Edited by snafus

1/4 of all drops are going to be smuggler loot. That means 1/8th of the time you will see 2 smuggler loots drop.

Either bring smugglers to raids, roll a smuggler or enjoy your vendor trash.

Deal with it.

Edited by GeoLager

1/4 of all drops are going to be smuggler loot. That means 1/8th of the time you will see 2 smuggler loots drop.

Either bring smugglers to raids, roll a smuggler or enjoy your vendor trash.

Deal with it.

Your math is extremely flawed. We are seeing usually 1/2 to 3/4 of all loot in a raid being smuggler. So your assumption that only 1/4 of loot will be smuggler is wrong. Plain and simple. Next time we raid, ill screenshot the loot from all bosses and show that the loot is hugely lop sided to dropping smuggler junk.

Your math is extremely flawed. We are seeing usually 1/2 to 3/4 of all loot in a raid being smuggler. So your assumption that only 1/4 of loot will be smuggler is wrong. Plain and simple. Next time we raid, ill screenshot the loot from all bosses and show that the loot is hugely lop sided to dropping smuggler junk.

His math is wrong but his point is sound

Please next time provide screen shots. I'm not sure how many pieces of loot drop from each boss, so I can't tell you how many raids you'll need to do for a statistically valid analysis, but at a guess I'd say 20-30. I'll see you in a year.

Edited by Stealthy_Monkey

Let's keep it real, people... random is random and you bloody well know it.

Ive never played an MMO, including WoW...where the loot ISNT random. Having every boss drop smuggler loot without fail isnt random, sounds like a bug. I wouldnt mind if it dropped 1-2 bits of smuggler stuff instead of all 4 bits being the exact same smuggler piece. Fail.

On a few characters, I have had to go about 20 levels (five different flash points) buying my own mods for my gear simply because I was getting any drops. And I don't mean I was rolling need with another person of the same class. No, I mean that there just simply weren't any dropping. Now, if I did each one only once, then yeah just bad luck. However, I would do each one at least 3-4 times before my gear was simply better than anything I could get from that FP. Am I saying though it was a bug?

No, it wasn't some bug. I just really did have bad luck. It's going to happen, a lot. Hell, there are only five types of gear that are going to drop as world drops (I say five because I am making a distinction between Marauder/Sentinel gear and Juggernaut/Guardian gear). However, I rarely get any gear to drop that is for my class.

It truly is most likely random. It could be that there is a bug, but simply because we are not seeing these forums blow up with people talking about this, it should be proof enough that there is not a problem, it's just people getting very unfortunate.

• 1 month later...

My guild has also seen an extremely LARGE increase of smuggler loot....I mean every piece of loot at that from about 90% of the bosses! I was curious if other guilds have seen this. I bet there are a lot out there but there aren't many that are seeing this post. Say what you want about randomization, I've played MMOs since 1999, I know all about random loot, this isn't it!

On another note, smart loot is coming in 1.2...thank god!

Gunar

Edited by Brazenthru

Ive never played an MMO, including WoW...where the loot ISNT random. Having every boss drop smuggler loot without fail isnt random, sounds like a bug. I wouldnt mind if it dropped 1-2 bits of smuggler stuff instead of all 4 bits being the exact same smuggler piece. Fail.

Had it happen at least 1 run in every MMO I've played.

You'll need a lot more runs to prove your claim. As the other poster said, see you in a few months.

Let's keep it real, people... random is random and you bloody well know it.

random is NOT just random. there are MANY ways to implement a random function. IT IS NOT THAT HARD to have it setup to prevent pernicious statistical conspicuities like 12 all smuggler drops in a row.

What the OP (and others) are reporting is highly highly unlikely. until 1.2, I can only suggest one possible piece of voodoo that might have some effect, try doing the ops at a different time of day.

Edited by britane

As they say random is random, the problem is random sucks.

They are almost certainly just giving each class a 25% chance to drop which over a 1000 raids will balance out. Unfortunately, for a single raid or two the numbers can vary wildly. A raid that drops 20 pieces for 4 classes will have one class getting 2 or less pieces a third of the time.

Sadly, 1.2 will do nothing to fix these wild fluctuations. Plus, if it just does a class check it's next to useless for an OP as almost all will have all 4 classes present.

One way to fix this is simply get rid of class specific loot.

Another solution is to adjust the odds after each piece drops. For example lower the odds for the class that just had a piece drop by 12% (unless it takes them negative) and raise the others by 4%.

With this the odds start at 25% for each class. Then say a smuggler piece drops, so smuggler goes to 13% the others 29%. Another smuggler drops so smugglers go to 1% the others 33% each.

Using this system each class will get between 4 and 6 pieces over 80% of the time. Getting 2 or less pieces for one class goes from 1 in 3 with straight odds to 1 in 270. A class only getting 1 piece goes from 1 in 10 to 1 in 20,000.

It's still random loot, it just smooths out the wild fluctuations you see with true random.

I always hoped a system that actually altered the loot tables to reflect the participants on the operation would be created.

With the class-imbalance created by player-choices the Guild I was in had 2 fully Rakata geared Imperial Agents in less than 3 weeks, while the multiple Sorcerors were all struggling to get 2 pieces in the same timeframe, players could level up an IA alt & have it fully geared in a single run while those multiple Sorcerors could only look on in envy wearing mostly Columi (gained from many many HM FP's)

It got so bad at one point that Sorcerors would refuse to group with any other Sorceror in Flashpoints, only agreeing to do so once they had a full Columi set & were only after 1 item for the mods...

So the loot system needs to be flexible enough to take player class choice into account I think, putting arbitrary limitations on what classes are allowed on OPs is a prerogative of the more "Hardcore Raider" type guilds but the more social ones shouldn't be penalised for allowing class imbalance by rigid loot systems, & RNG loot systems are well known to be seen as unfair by many, they are streaky quite frequently. Having a run where only class x loot drops when there isn't even class x on the Operation is not unheard of.

Over the past 2 months of raiding we've had an extraordinary amount of Smuggler loot.

In fact our only Smuggler in the raid was fully decked out with Rakata gear 2 weeks into raiding hardmodes...including off-spec healing gear.

I blamed it on RNG at the time...but a month later, and we're still seeing up to half of our loot dropping for Smugglers.

nothing new with this. in these mmo's the rng is rather streaky. so you can end up with "streaks" of gear drops. for us i have seen jedi and consular "streaks". in eq2 one boss dropped 4 patterns for a bard with it being all the same one. it got to be a joke sometimes after a raid that it was a mage night or a rogue night. it was never just one class though all the time.

one occurance for one class doesnt make it all the time.

there is only one way to counter this but people wont like it. make static drops and take the rng out of it. in other words boss x drops a generic set token used by all classes for that piece. like chest then use your guild's method of determining who gets the drop to turn in to thier class merchant to get thier chest piece.

this will take the grinding out of mmo's which they dont really want to do. the faster you clear content the faster you have to add newer content. this costs money.

Reading through the thread I don't see alternatives to the RNG.

WoW used tokens for some loot, get enough tokens and buy the loot of your choice. Some of the BIS loot was BoE. AO had nearly fixed loot tables, you kill the boss with the loot you want.

I am a smuggler and can verify not all guilds are getting "Ridiculous amount of smuggler loot". Worse yet is that I need to part out two sets of Smuggler loot and the Trooper main hand to get BiS.

I suggest a token system with tokens not being class specific. Class items are seldom optimized for stats so we should be able to build our own with enough runs. But not so many runs we quit. Build up orange sets, bet the look you want with the stats you choose.

Hello there,

We saw this thread and thought we would also link you to these changes below outlined in the 1.2 Patch Notes on the PTS. Hope you find the helpful!

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

Game Update 1.2 PTS Patch Notes

Last Updated: 3/27/2012

Flashpoints and Operations

• Random loot on some bosses in Normal Mode Flashpoints has been significantly improved.

Items and Economy

• Loot drops from endgame activities, such as Operations and Flashpoints, now take group composition into account.