I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

Vrumpt

Look they had light side darkside AND neutral side choices in the kotor games so they can do it again. Currently 100% serious you can just keep hitting spacebar and pick the top choice for light or bottom choice for dark THE ENTIRE GAME, there is no point in paying attention to the dialouge.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely absurd. Your choices affect the rest of your story (that's the whole point of 'make your own story', btw, not just 'you can go light or dark') and you are complaining that they have consequences. You aren't being punished you self-entitled child, you are experiencing consequences, very mild ones at that.

I hope the devs are laughing at these kind of threads as much as I am. Being neutral isn't supposed to have any benefits, otherwise what's the point of going light or dark if you can be just as proficient no matter what choices you make?

Can You read? I doubt it, really. Tons of people were answersing to that.

There is no problem with story consequences.

There is problem with mechanics consequences. These are NOT mild.

If you have to make a hard choice, does your choice really has to be the same for entire of your life? NO. In this game - YES. The topic is not about being 100% neutral. It is about reading dialogues and storyline and choosing according to what happens. Not only on a basis of Light/Dark side because then no dialogues and story have any sense at all. There is no real choice.

100% agree and the funny thing is, revan their maschot was neither light nor dark, but still to get the most from the game its light OR dark.

The wrost thing is if the put neutral gear in I still wont be satisfied, as im a 70% light 30 % darkside kind of player therefore i will be forever stuck in the light III region.

the light/dark idea was good in kotor but for an mmo (for me) its not worked :(

Actually Revan was REALLY dark side... then REALLY light side.

The whole idea of having gear based on your attunement was a bad idea to begin with:

1. Determines your choices for you, by simply auto picking choices for you. You get the initial pick, but after that it is all down that path.

2. Kills any idea of redemption. Hell the story doesn't even make a note of most of your total deeds, at no point do your characters or companions really talk about all the bad or good **** you have done. Its like all they care about is the immediate choices. In some ways KOTOR2 did a better job about this issue than SWTOR did.

3. Punishes people for being Empire>Darkside>picking romance choices or Republic>lightside>picking romance choices. As those few choices push you back on your alignment and make you take longer getting to each tier.

4. Makes you choose between what your companion thinks of you and your Alignment.

Ok, this one I can sort see being a good thing, but really, unless it majorly pisses off my companion I will choose my alignment over my companions very easily Manipulated affection.

Hey dude, I play neutral too. It's pretty fun cause I just pick whatever I want to. In beta, I tried picking a side but I felt like I was pigeon-holed into answering certain ways even if I didn't want to. So now I just choice what I want, sure I don't get relics but the enjoyment is worth it. If you know how to play your class really well, relics aren't going to make or break ya.

I also turn off the display that tells you a choice is light or dark. Oh and I've heard they're going to add neutral stuff, so I'm not worried.

Yeah I did that with my bounty hunter and I am trying to stick to The Bounty Hunter's Creed...

Funny thing is, sticking to the Creed, Mako adores me. I've never lost even -1 with her.

Now, my other characters, I'm making all dark or all light cause I've always more enjoyed that in Star Wars. The very good Jedi, or the very evil Sith. Or, in my case the loyal to the Republic but ruthless as all get up Dark Jedi Knight. :)

Can You read? I doubt it, really. Tons of people were answersing to that.

There is no problem with story consequences.

There is problem with mechanics consequences. These are NOT mild.

If you have to make a hard choice, does your choice really has to be the same for entire of your life? NO. In this game - YES. The topic is not about being 100% neutral. It is about reading dialogues and storyline and choosing according to what happens. Not only on a basis of Light/Dark side because then no dialogues and story have any sense at all. There is no real choice.

The topic is about being 100% neutral? Well why can't you go 100% light? Why can't you go 100% dark? Most of the dark choices are kill everyone you see and lie about it for money, and the light choices are spare casualties and be honorable. It's inconceivable to think that your character would actually make enough choices going both ways to stay neutral throughout the entire game, since they are, in fact, 100% opposite of each other. You will inevitably at least reach light or dark I. To avoid the first tier you almost have to be going out of your way to do so.

The story makes sense if you go light or dark, or even a mix of the, it doesn't make sense if you are constantly bouncing around between the 2 choices because 'you are neutral'.

And dialogue does matter. Just because you can break it down into a white/black mechanic doesn't mean it is unimportant. Every single dialogue option you make can alter the entire game.

Again, what is the benefit of going light/dark if you have no benefits and can have everything you want by just making whatever choices you want throughout the entire game? this would make dialogue useless, the way it is now is working fine.

The topic is about being 100% neutral? Well why can't you go 100% light? Why can't you go 100% dark? Most of the dark choices are kill everyone you see and lie about it for money, and the light choices are spare casualties and be honorable. It's inconceivable to think that your character would actually make enough choices going both ways to stay neutral throughout the entire game, since they are, in fact, 100% opposite of each other. You will inevitably at least reach light or dark I. To avoid the first tier you almost have to be going out of your way to do so.

The story makes sense if you go light or dark, or even a mix of the, it doesn't make sense if you are constantly bouncing around between the 2 choices because 'you are neutral'.

[LV 10 SPOILERS AHEAD....]

Actually it makes total sense, that's how the real world works. Someone that's very practical will probably always end up being neutral, because they choose what is most beneficial in the situation instead of polarizing to one side or the other every time.

An example would be Black Talon where my Sith didn't kill the Captain (who will fly the ship?) or kill the General (obviously he was more useful alive than dead), which made him end up with neutral and can't buy any lightsabers in Kaas, simply because he assesses the situation before diving in.

And dialogue does matter. Just because you can break it down into a white/black mechanic doesn't mean it is unimportant. Every single dialogue option you make can alter the entire game.

I agre

Again, what is the benefit of going light/dark if you have no benefits and can have everything you want by just making whatever choices you want throughout the entire game? this would make dialogue useless, the way it is now is working fine.

If anything staying neutral is alot more involving that staying light or dark. Really all you have to do is click on red or blue each time regardless of what the dialogues is to go to a certain side. Staying neutral actually requires a degree of thought to balance it out.

Edited by youwillburn

Look they had light side darkside AND neutral side choices in the kotor games so they can do it again. Currently 100% serious you can just keep hitting spacebar and pick the top choice for light or bottom choice for dark THE ENTIRE GAME, there is no point in paying attention to the dialouge.

you couldn't play KOTOR as neutral, at least if you wanted to get any decent force powers.

This is a great topic and debate. My two favorite characters I wanted to play in the game was the smuggler and the bounty hunter. In both cases coming into it I knew the personality of my characters. My smuggler is all about the credits, light or dark be damned. Its called being true to character. A smuggler seeks to make a profit as the galaxy is embroiled in war. No credits involved than I have to choose what makes the most sense. That has generally led me to more light side points than dark. However now at level 20 I am still neutral. Probably by 30 I will be considered a light side character though when credits are involved I don't care.

The Bounty Hunter has been an interesting storyline. My approach has been, What would Bobba do? In the books he takes a contract he finishes a contract. That has been my approach with him. Now my BH is level 20 as well and guess what, he is exactly neutral. Same amount of Light points as Dark points.

I think Bioware understands this dilema and will alleviate the item problems. At the end of the day though, I simply don't care. I am being true to my characters and that to me IS the story.

Josy - 20 Smuggler

Sladee - 20 Bounty Hunter

I'm only level 15 right now, but I'm still in neutral, I have almost equal amounts dark side and light side points.

This conversation isn't really about the viability of playing as "true neutral," it's about the poor design decision (which has already been addressed by the devs) of not making neutral or mixed alignment based specialty items

then take Diplomacy and work it for light or dark points.

Why should I take a crew skill (and delete my old one) only to get some silly points? Because game system forces me to do so? It isn't an option. Neutral gears are my only hope.

At the end of the day the Dark/Light track is just a counter...you don't need to let it affect the story.

This is like fighting with symptoms not with the disease.

I don't take issue with your desire or feelings, OP and supporters. I do, however, take issue with your choice of words.

Nobody is being punished. Period.

That the game isn't smoothed out in every fashion in it's rough spots is not punishment, it simply is. That you continue to play said character in the face of such circumstances is not being punished, it's called being either perseverant or masochistic. Take your pick.

Just seems like a really bad choice of words when it's a situation of your own creation once you pass over the fact that MONTHS ago it was known that there was little/no real [/b]gear option[/b] for neutral play yet. Just sayin'.

This thread is absurd. I'm not going to say anything more than this, I'm not even going to read this thread anymore.

You knew the choices, you knew the consequences. More importantly, you knew which consequences were from each choice. It isn't a punishment, it's a result. Whether or not you are happy with it is in no way Bioware's fault or their problem, full responsibility is yours for your own actions. At this point you are just complaining to complain.

If your flavor of role-playing is to fly in the face of possibility merely to remain true to a singular character, to again and again experience the tang of displeasure when you're beaten over the head with the fact that MONTHS AGO WE KNEW THERE WAS NO REAL GEAR OPTION FOR GREY/NEUTRAL PLAY then...good on ya'.

I'm a roleplayer, don't get me wrong. Nearly 20 years of table-top and online. Just if it's not pleasing, try something else until what is displeasing changes.

Its not even enough to have to add a neutral set of items, because that still forces the player to play one of 3 correct ways; dark, neutral or light. The entire concept of gear with any alignment requirement is counterproductive to the "play your own story" philosophy that SWTOR is based on and is being advertised as.

Ummm...how else would you play it other than those 3 ways? What other options are there besides neutral, ligh, and dark?

I actually would like to see neutral gear...or just end game gear that did not have alighment on it that was *** good as teh dark/light gear.

I'm not saying it's right but the whole tack of your argument is delightfully ironic. You claim you are being punished for making the choices you want to make when that's exactly what choice actually entails: consequences. The fact that you know about the consequences and continue to play the way you do says something about the appeal of making your own choice. Until BW implements neutral gear, it seems you have placed your immersion above your meta game; a noble choice until you complained that the knowing consequences of your personal choice actually affected your game.

not every choice grants you points, and there is a fricken war going on. you don't stay neutral during a war. And all the choices are compelling, if you do not pick a side you are really just hurting yourself by restraining your natural character.

I dont think being light/dark as much to do with being Imp or Republic.

I for one would like the non alighment gear to be implented so that I could play through the story...well my way.

As in If I want to go all dark then I would go all dark

If I wanted to go all light then I would go all light

If I wanted to actually make choices as if I were the character (as in "If I were this bounty hunter...what would I do?") then I would chose according to that. However currently this option is not a wise one to make since I would progress the light/dark side bar slower and perhapse not at all (since I would make some light side and some dark side choices thus I may end up just staying neutral) and thus cant get the gear to make it at endgame.

I'm not saying it's right but the whole tack of your argument is delightfully ironic. You claim you are being punished for making the choices you want to make when that's exactly what choice actually entails: consequences. The fact that you know about the consequences and continue to play the way you do says something about the appeal of making your own choice. Until BW implements neutral gear, it seems you have placed your immersion above your meta game; a noble choice until you complained that the knowing consequences of your personal choice actually affected your game.

I think it's not so much about punishment and consequences, it's just a developmental oversight.

Your argument? Whose argument? Mine? I don't claim to be punished by Bioware for anything. It's just the title of the topic. I could have made a new one, but why?

I know that it was known long before the game launched that there wouldn't be neutral gears... but does it mean that all those playing neutral should just weep silently? I just hope that Bioware will change the fact that some players find lack of "role-playing" in their game. Thats all. Cheers.

Saying "stop whining and pick a side" is wrong, but at the same time, complaining because you have to deal with the consequence of your neutrality is just silly.

I don't see what the issue is, play the game how you want, if you want to blindly click LS or DS stuff then do it, if you want to do whatever you would do in the situation then do it. Gear is a moot point because gear is mostly irrelevant until endgame, and once you reach endgame you're either done with your story, or you can come up with some RP "reflection on the past" (and yes I mean the grinding you can already do) to switch your alignment if you REALLY feel that need.

My point, when posed with any situation, you can think about how it will affect your future, good or bad, and that thought can and probably should affect your decisions.