SWTOR Holiday Update

CourtneyWoods

Based on the Update we both read, your friend either needs to re-sub (and stay subbed through Nov 12) or at least level the characters they want past 10.

Otherwise, no more hoarding names. About time!

I read it several times and I don't see any clear indication that one HAS to sub. I highly doubt they're looking to clear all names that are under 10 that aren't subscribers -. Inactive is the key. So I would assume that just logging in would do the trick. Why would they wipe free players that are actively logging in?

Incidentally I've been a big proponent of name wipes for a long time. I'm certain there are thousands upon thousands of names that were created in the first couple of months from people that tried the game out and never returned and have no plans on returning. However, they need to be smart about this and not piss any players off if it can be avoided.

I'm not asking to complain about their decision - I'm asking so that people can know exactly what to expect without any shadow of a doubt.

Edited by chuixupu

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the next few months are mostly about PvP mini-games with the start of Season 1 4v4 arenas and then the launch of a new Makeb Arena 4v4 and then the launch of the Super Secret Space Project which leaves PvE space as boring rail shooter but does bring in 12v12 PvP mini game. Are we going to see any Open World PvP. With Warhammer Age of Reckoning finally being killed off will any of the RvR style content make it to ToR? Or is all TOR going to offer in the way of PvP fight clubbing?

Why are you rehashing the Gree Event? I'd be surprised if there are many people that haven't max rep for this event and wonder what it brings to the game that we see it rehashed every few months. If you have to rehash content can't we have the rakghoul plague back or even a rebranded acquisitions race?

And what is happening to the 4th pillar of story or PvE for that matter. As a Theme Park game with little meaningful PvP and few mini-games, no real chat options, very limited crafting (much of which is fairly bad quality as the best looking stuff is sold in the CC and the best gear is from operations) and no housing etc what is the plan to keep the PvE players logging in over the holiday period (those that don't need double xp). It seems that End game is now PvP or Operations which is a far cry from the level 1 to 50 (55 with Makeb but even this didn't live up to the class story driven original cap). Is the 4th Pillar no longer part of the BW design and what are players that were drawn in by it and the VO and the feel of the 1 to 50 game to do when they hit end game. Is BW philosophy PvP or Ops or Go home. Even the dailies that have been added been turned into mission boxes to make it clear VO and choice is not an option.

So the next few months are mostly about PvP mini-games with the start of Season 1 4v4 arenas and then the launch of a new Makeb Arena 4v4 and then the launch of the Super Secret Space Project which leaves PvE space as boring rail shooter

Is the 4th Pillar no longer part of the BW design and what are players that were drawn in by it and the VO and the feel of the 1 to 50 game to do when they hit end game. Is BW philosophy PvP or Ops or Go home. Even the dailies that have been added been turned into mission boxes to make it clear VO and choice is not an option.

Unfortunately, it would seem that BioWare's coveted "4th Pillar" has all but crumbled many months ago, kicked-in by the heavy-hand/foot (and light wallet) of EA.

SWG had The Greatest Story Ever Told: 'Yours' .

TOR has The BioWare'est Story Never Continued: 'ALTs'

Such a shame too, cuz imo TOR's *combat system* is far superior & more enjoyable than anything else out there (except maybe ESO's...maybe) .

Oh well, at least it's still Star Wars i suppose.

So the next few months are mostly about PvP mini-games with the start of Season 1 4v4 arenas and then the launch of a new Makeb Arena 4v4 and then the launch of the Super Secret Space Project which leaves PvE space as boring rail shooter but does bring in 12v12 PvP mini game. Are we going to see any Open World PvP. With Warhammer Age of Reckoning finally being killed off will any of the RvR style content make it to ToR? Or is all TOR going to offer in the way of PvP fight clubbing?

Why are you rehashing the Gree Event? I'd be surprised if there are many people that haven't max rep for this event and wonder what it brings to the game that we see it rehashed every few months. If you have to rehash content can't we have the rakghoul plague back or even a rebranded acquisitions race?

And what is happening to the 4th pillar of story or PvE for that matter. As a Theme Park game with little meaningful PvP and few mini-games, no real chat options, very limited crafting (much of which is fairly bad quality as the best looking stuff is sold in the CC and the best gear is from operations) and no housing etc what is the plan to keep the PvE players logging in over the holiday period (those that don't need double xp). It seems that End game is now PvP or Operations which is a far cry from the level 1 to 50 (55 with Makeb but even this didn't live up to the class story driven original cap). Is the 4th Pillar no longer part of the BW design and what are players that were drawn in by it and the VO and the feel of the 1 to 50 game to do when they hit end game. Is BW philosophy PvP or Ops or Go home. Even the dailies that have been added been turned into mission boxes to make it clear VO and choice is not an option.

This depends on your definition of Story. If you are referring to class stories, then yes that has come to an end, Bioware has made it very clear they do not plan on going back there. However story is not just class, its about the world that is created and how does your character effect the world. Makeb is a good example of this as we see how imperial players help bring about the Return of Imperial domination or we see how Republic players are involved in the securing of newly found resources like CZ198. I think too many people got caught up with class stories (myslef included) but based off of bioware's statements it's clear that class stories are not sustainable in an MMO. Now its about the group work and people getting together to fight for their faction. The 4th pillar is still here its just been modified from how it was originally planned.

Edit: also I would like to add that I think us PvErs need to take a few steps back and just relax. It isn't the end of that PvPers are finally getting some love. Lets be real, PvErs have been enjoying the candy shop that is content forever while PvPers have simply had to lick their lips outside the store. Outside of 2.4 its been almost an entire year before pvpers saw any real updates. Now that they are getting some attention lets not bash Bioware for given a good portion of the community some love FINALLY. So chill out for a bit

Edited by MisterBlackJack

Did I overlook the "holiday" part of that article?

I see no mention of holiday events. :confused:

I think it was more of an update of stuff happening during "the holidays," like the summer of SWTOR was during the summer.

some shorter term surprises we aren’t ready to cough up just yet.

Hmmmm, anyone else read Rakghoul plague there? :D

Plenty of people want the Gree event back. Although I've maxed the rep, I know I'll be doing it for the achievements. Also, a lot of people were asking about it in the general forum just a couple of days ago. Don't forget that a lot of people weren't around when it started, whether they were taking a break from the game at that time, or they just started playing recently. Also, new rewards will be nice. :D

As for the Daily terminal mission boxes replacing VO mission givers... After the first couple of times through original Belsavis dailies, I know I was space barring through. I liked how the Oricon ones are set up, with a voiced story to kick it off, then the repeatable dailies through the box. I don't see a point in having voiced daily mission givers.

Is that the last gree event or has that changed from a year long run then no more, to all ways every few month's ?.

I looked forward to it every time i see it coming and can hardly wait .

and ty for the next DXP week end . i see a few more of mine at 50 + ..

Edited by tanktest

Can I ask you why? What enhances the game by calling it "season 1"? Bragging rights? Honest question...

They are adding leader boards. It's not just a name change to calling it "season 1" rather than "pre-season". There is an addition of in game and web based stats logging with leader boards for a set amount of time. Usually a season lasts about a year or until an expansion comes out that changes up class balance and so there is a reset.

It's not much different than with Call of Duty or something like that. For most, it won't be a big deal. But many are very competitive and looking to get in the top ten. Some people like that challenge.

They are adding leader boards. It's not just a name change to calling it "season 1" rather than "pre-season". There is an addition of in game and web based stats logging with leader boards for a set amount of time. Usually a season lasts about a year or until an expansion comes out that changes up class balance and so there is a reset.

It's not much different than with Call of Duty or something like that. For most, it won't be a big deal. But many are very competitive and looking to get in the top ten. Some people like that challenge.

There could be other things involved! We have to wait for a more detailed blog.

Check your email, it's in closed invite testing right now.

wish i could say id even join the beta if I got one, i hope they don't waste a invite on me , i''m not to thrilled about it in the first place . and won't do it much, once its live ,,

Glad the PVPers got some thing just for them, I'm not knocking it, just not to excited about it ...

Edited by tanktest

wish i could say id even join the beta if I got one, i hope they don't waste a invite on me , i''m not to thrilled about it in the first place . and won't do it much, once its live ,,

Glad the PVPers got some thing just for them, I'm not knocking it, just not to excited about it ...

Huh? PvPers? How many threads can you find on the PvP forums asking for space PvP? Please, go count the threads...I'll wait...but I could save you the time and tell you the answer - ZERO!

It may be great, but it's nothing PvPers asked for...it's something other players asked for.

Huh? PvPers? How many threads can you find on the PvP forums asking for space PvP? Please, go count the threads...I'll wait...but I could save you the time and tell you the answer - ZERO!

It may be great, but it's nothing PvPers asked for...it's something other players asked for.

Technically, people were asking for enhanced space experience, and having a PVP section of that was part of it.

Thank you bruce.

I cant tell you how important that blog post was. We were literally in the dark in regards to the future of the game and at least now we know things are still moving forward.

I dont know what these short and long term plans are, but i will leave my feedback here about what i wish those long term plans were: A new meaty expansion. Not a digitial expansion, but a proper expansion that continues the game's main story (and dare i ask, class stories), brings new operations, new level cap, new flashpoints (several) and new game systems (small events maybe? something in that line that doesnt stress the engine too much). I hope EA finances that for this game, because this game is truly awesome and its a shame to see it almost "hiding" in shame.

Its a great game, we all here love it. There was a poor choice of engine early in development, but im sure we can get past it or somehow dilute the issue with enhancements.

Edited by Nemmar