Slicing sucks now

Individual

I'm not seeing it. I run dozens of grade 5 rich and grade 6 missions every day, and I crit fairly often, and some days I'm getting missions faster than I can run them (admittedly, I've got more slicers than I do toons to run the missions).

• 5 weeks later...
My returns seem to have taken a nosedive, at least on the lower-tier missions (run for missions for my alts.) As bad as Lord Scourge returning 86 credits on a 95 credit-cost mission.

He must have stopped by pizza planet on his way back.

You should see how nice it is when you slice a whole week for neural augmentors and you get zilch! You spend hundreds of thousands on missions for nothing. Guess we have to inject money back into the game economy somehow. I pay for your mob lootz ;):D Edited by Leafy_Bug

BW got wrong understanding about "money printing", after tons of jelly peoples moaned on the forums.

Lets put it simple, players investing CREDITS and TIME for making profit, so at least missions should return same amount of credits if mission fails because TIME is lost already any way.

Do devs getting paid for their jobs or they pay to have a job? Turning slicing in to lottery is bad idea, peoples get fed up, you know.

Forcing peoples trading missions on GTN is yet another wrong conception. Now after servers consolidation, I personally don't want trade there any more because under cutting. And because players have pay some idiotic fee for creating trade. That is even more credits loss, if peoples want cancel trade.

You can make more credits and faster buy trashing 10 levels lower 4 man HC over and over again. And that fuels pretty well my mission needs for mission only materials.

Forget slicing, after nert it is totally pointless crew skill, mobs seem to dropping every thing, including augment schematics.

BW tried copy WoW so hard but they forgot copy WoW's most important feature, very good balance between easy and hard. Players looking for entertainment, not for second job.

May the grind be with you.

Edited by Chaffery

what I wrote is that in the past people have made the effort to record and draw spreadsheets to prove whether slicing was profitable.

If you feel it is the contrary, you are welcome to record your own spreadsheet to prove your point.

Anything else is whine whine whine.

Slicing is working well for me and I have dropped other crew skills to pick it up on more alts.

The one question I have has had is that the purple 340 investigation missions (also useless) seem to drop a disproportionate amount. Anyone else seeing that or is it just bad RNG on my part?

The one question I have has had is that the purple 340 investigation missions (also useless) seem to drop a disproportionate amount. Anyone else seeing that or is it just bad RNG on my part?

I could wallpaper whole planets with Investigation missions.

I have 4 toons that have slicing and I run missions full time when I am on. With the neural augmenters I make might/resolve augments and sell them on the AH. I usually clear 2-3 million credits a week doing this and its super simple. I also have the gather skills at 400 so I run all the 340 missions and sell the mats on the AH for a good profit as well. Slicing to me is the best gathering skill because you can make so much profit from missions/neural augmenters. Edited by Swifterz

what I wrote is that in the past people have made the effort to record and draw spreadsheets to prove whether slicing was profitable.

If you feel it is the contrary, you are welcome to record your own spreadsheet to prove your point.

Anything else is whine whine whine.

It's not "whine whine whine" to point out a PERCEIVED downward trend. I say to you. . . prove to ME that my rewards DIDN'T take a sudden nosedive a few days ago. They seem to have balanced out, I will admit, but several missions yielded rewards that were substantially subpar. Pointing that out, and trying to discover if other people were experiencing similar issues, is FAR from "whining."

They seem to have balanced out, I will admit, but several missions yielded rewards that were substantially subpar.

That's been the case since late beta. In fact, I had a slicer go broke due to a string of poor misson rewards one time, even before the beta slicing nerf, back when slicing was a licence to print money.

Part of the reaction to this is because after every patch, someone starts asking these same questions. It's usually someone that had a string of bad luck. Without showing a decent data sample, some people will tend to assume that this is more of the same. I'm not knocking the fact that someone came to the forums and asked if anyone else is seeing the same thing, that's a reasonable step. On the other hand, don't expect anyone to go out of their way to prove or disprove it if you're not bringing some actual data.

I can only remember two actual times since launch that that assumption was incorrect. One time, the nerf was added to the patch notes, and the other time, it was a bug that was fixed about a week after someone managed to document it well enough that the devs could see what's happening.

That latter occurrence has some important lessons (though admittedly they don't directly apply here). Basically, people started saying that they were losing credits on slicing missions. This went on for several days, until Dulfy collected enough data to show exactly what had happened. Green quality credit cases were returning an average of 60% of what they were before the patch, which meant that they were returning less than white cases of the same level. This detailed information got posted, the devs took a look at it, and within 24 hours said that they had found the problem. It got fixed in an unscheduled maintenance about a week later.

Basically, when you're talking about credit returns on slicing missions, you have to think about thinks from a statistical point of view. Sizes of data sets, testing methods, etc. Without that, it's all anecdotal, and everyone has their own view and recollections. For what it's worth, when 1.4 bumped up the character-per-server limit, I rolled 4 new characters and took slicing on every one of them. None of them got rich, but they all better than broke even in the long run even before selling any bonus returns on the GTN. My existing slicers have continued to have normal returns, crits, mission discoveries, etc. In fact, because of the bug on rich-or-better returns, my piles of unrun missions is getting to be annoying. I'm at somewhere around 30 of the 340-level UWT missions, 20 340-level slicing missions (or I was before I started selling them off). These are all pretty normal amounts for just over a week

Slicing is working well for me and I have dropped other crew skills to pick it up on more alts.

Currently all Purple missions are bugged. This is known to BW with no fix date yet.

Slicing is mainly a gathering skill u noobs. :p I never lose credits harvesting slicing nodes.

And I never made much until I realized, "hey - I can send out my idle companions to get more!" The big credits come from away missions, and not all that slowly if you keep it up.

That's been the case since late beta. In fact, I had a slicer go broke due to a string of poor misson rewards one time, even before the beta slicing nerf, back when slicing was a licence to print money.

And that's exactly it. RNGs in these kinds of games are notoriously streaky, so it's not unusual to try and reach out and determine if something has in fact changed, or if the RNG just hates us today.

Slicing is mainly a gathering skill u noobs. :p I never lose credits harvesting slicing nodes.

What is the difference between running from one slicing node to another and trashing mobs? Both are gathering AKA grind.

I'll bet I can make more credits buy trashing mobs because mobs have something 3+ minutes respawn timer and slicing nodes 30 minutes.

Edited by Chaffery

What is the difference between running from one slicing node to another and trashing mobs? Both are gathering AKA grind.

I'll bet I can make more credits buy trashing mobs because mobs have something 3+ minutes respawn timer and slicing nodes 30 minutes.

I do not think that is what he meant. I know (because I have two slicers) that in the course of doing whatever I'm doing (leveling, dailies, etc) I will find a number of slicer nodes. Every one you gather is free credits. That is what he's talking about.