Who's coming back in 2.4?

Bonsaikitten

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that plenty of new players will play Arena, biggest reason is that you only need 4 people. We will see, but I don't think Arenas will be farming place for old pvpers.
I don't share that opinion.

For starters, I've never seen much enthusiasm regarding arenas in this game. Some might think it's ok in normals once in a while, I personally don't, but I doubt that many will give ranked a serious go.

But let's assume I'm completely wrong. Unless A LOT of teams actually queue it's going to result in a lot of games VS Drama and a lot of losses. It's an extremely discouraging and boring gametype if you don't win from time to time, not like 8 vs 8 where you actually got to fight for a while regardless of outcome. There will be a maximum of perhaps 3 teams capable of making a dent in Gerikke et al. A dent, not winning but being able to put up somewhat of a fight (well, they might win once in a while through some fluke...who knows) . Reason, there arent that many good players around and some are eliminated by default on behalf the classes they play. Like, who's going to take a solo sage or solo sorc? If you're going down that road it's better to bring two. Now you need two extremely talented sorcs/sages for your team. Not an easy task since people are connected to guilds and whatnot....not to mention that there are only like 4 good ones to begin with on the server The same thing applies to a few other AC'es, with just one you're going to get owned but with two you might have a reasonable chance, on behalf of being able to somewhat control how the game is played.

So in conclusion, requires only half the amount of players as 8 vs 8 but is ten times more demanding in terms of team setup...and 8 vs 8 was already pretty rough for some AC'es.

I don't see any sane person queue'ing for solo ranked. I tried that **** on PTS just to end up with sorc healers that only survived for three secs. And unless they've changed things it wasnt even a criteria that the teams had tanks in solo ranked. The only criteria was that both teams had the same roles. That means that the slightly more coordinated team will burn down the other healer in 2 GCD's, often by pure "target luck" since there's rarely any communication in pugs. Horrible gametype. They should have implemented 4 vs 4 objective games such as CTF instead or basic team deathmatch with spawns.

Edited by MidichIorian

Video footage says otherwise.

Roudy hardly even says a word when doing arenas.

Calls a target once in a blue moon and once every so often asks what available cooldowns are there. /clap

lolololololol

Can you see any more from in there? You seem to have gotten your head stuck up your arrse.

I don't share that opinion.

For starters, I've never seen much enthusiasm regarding arenas in this game. Some might think it's ok in normals once in a while, I personally don't, but I doubt that many will give ranked a serious go.

But let's assume I'm completely wrong. Unless A LOT of teams actually queue it's going to result in a lot of games VS Drama and a lot of losses. It's an extremely discouraging and boring gametype if you don't win from time to time, not like 8 vs 8 where you actually got to fight for a while regardless of outcome. There will be a maximum of perhaps 3 teams capable of making a dent in Gerikke et al. A dent, not winning but being able to put up somewhat of a fight (well, they might win once in a while through some fluke...who knows) . Reason, there arent that many good players around and some are eliminated by default on behalf the classes they play. Like, who's going to take a solo sage or solo sorc? If you're going down that road it's better to bring two. Now you need two extremely talented sorcs/sages for your team. Not an easy task since people are connected to guilds and whatnot....not to mention that there are only like 4 good ones to begin with on the server The same thing applies to a few other AC'es, with just one you're going to get owned but with two you might have a reasonable chance, on behalf of being able to somewhat control how the game is played.

So in conclusion, requires only half the amount of players as 8 vs 8 but is ten times more demanding in terms of team setup...and 8 vs 8 was already pretty rough for some AC'es.

I don't see any sane person queue'ing for solo ranked. I tried that **** on PTS just to end up with sorc healers that only survived for three secs. And unless they've changed things it wasnt even a criteria that the teams had tanks in solo ranked. The only criteria was that both teams had the same roles. That means that the slightly more coordinated team will burn down the other healer in 2 GCD's, often by pure "target luck" since there's rarely any communication in pugs. Horrible gametype. They should have implemented 4 vs 4 objective games such as CTF instead or basic team deathmatch with spawns.

While theres basically just been a few thousand matches on pts, I dont think you can call off sages just yet. People seem to come to conclusions way too early. I think most classes and specs could have a shot at arenas in the hands of the right people and with a good team. Who would have thought two sages could demolish the so-called fotm setup? What about a team of operative/shadow dps? 2 commando dps? 3 tactic vg with one in tank stance? A team actually using their CC and cooldowns like pros? This is stuff we havent seen yet but which will appear in arenas. Instead of complaining about setups and stuff, find 3 players and make stuff happen. As I've said said before, arenas sounds so much better than RWZ imo. Its faster, alot less boring, hopefully more teams, higher individual skillcap, easier to form teams.. People just dont wanna give it a chance, cause they THINK it will suck.

Edited by Bonsaikitten

The majority of people, as in the 99 % that don't have a reasonable chance at fighting at the top, are most likely going to play the gametype that results in the best rewards. Between loading times, respawns and given losses in arena it's going to be a horrible time spent: comms ratio. Unless of course BW boost the arena comms. Not sure if they've changed it but when I played on PTS we didnt even get ranked comms for ranked arena. So then we're back to the only incentive being that you must really like arenas....and I don't think many do when the other option is 8 vs 8, with longer games automatically resulting in more medals/comms.

Also, I expect that some people will try to turtle in 2 ops + 2 sin setups and hope they get lucky with the gas when they realize that they can't beat the good teams in real fight. I encountered a couple of those games on PTS and it was a horrible experience. Having to play hide n seek for a couple of minutes is not my idea of fun. This was in the solo queue though when four stealthers, and there were a lot of those, happened to be on the same team.

But we'll see, perhaps it will be a success. X-server would have really helped the top teams though.

Edited by MidichIorian

People are naysayers but the reality is that a lot of normal PvPers (those who do not open big mouth here) are excited about Arenas.

The problem that 4 person Arenas Que will have over time is the same though as RWZ and that is without X-server Q it will get stale over time, not only for the top teams, but also the other following categories. If the solo Q will not work then BW had another big failure in there hand, PvP wise. Is this the third? In Italy we see there is no two without a three.... so I think if this fails its game over to BW for the PvP side of this game. Ah wait we have Space PvP coming....

As for Drama and the worship attitude it will be interesting to see how much we will see Gerrikke and the so called AWESOME players here solo Q in Rated-Arenas. If Gerrikke and those like him are so awesome they should do it every time. Will be interesting to see there rating after a month if they do this.... But anyways I am sure none of them will ever do it.

To set it on perspective I hardly ever see any of these so called Awesome MACRO players solo que. For this Exiloxe or whatever his name is deserves kudos as he solo Que most of the time, and in most cases does a good job to help others winning games and or helping a team (those who are trying to win) turning it around. Something very unusual for most of the players who have the Coral badge as most of them seem to be DPS or HPS *****, without having nothing against said guild and anything of its players.

Its a pity he opens his mouth to much over here..... :eek:

As for Drama and the worship attitude it will be interesting to see how much we will see Gerrikke and the so called AWESOME players here solo Q in Rated-Arenas. If Gerrikke and those like him are so awesome they should do it every time. Will be interesting to see there rating after a month if they do this.... But anyways I am sure none of them will ever do it.

0 times, you are right mate.

i am just a brainless smasher without skill, so i dont have the ballz to que solo ranked

Oh, you'll have the ballz. But you'll rage quit the first game you get a "bad team".

nono, i will never que solo ranked :>

I know i am a wierd person but you know i play this game for FUN

and i'll find my fun with my mates 4 of us together, not with 3 pugs without communication and skill.

haterz are hatin' :/

No, you don't understand that brilliant idea: if you can't get into decent 4-man team or organize it yourself, you can say "oh, as for these "awesome 4-man team players", we will see if they would have a balls to que for solo rated arenas!"; if you're not successful at solo rated arenas, you can say "pff, as for those "awesome" players who are spending their time at rated arenas, it's funny if they would have a balls to que for non-rated arenas and wz's on regular basis!", and incase you're generally bad at pvp, you can apply to "having balls in pve. how about hardmode operations, m?" :D

For some sort of ppl it's always works like that.

Edited by fauver

Overall PTS W/L 143/6, 4 of them were from that team with the 2 lightning sorcs. (thou last games we beat them but they deleted that from their stream)

If I'm not wrong, Mudclot (Casual?) have all their games from PTS in his stream:

Mega Nubz (DRAMA) vs Team Canada / USA (Kingclot Cleave)

Scrizubs.. i mean DRAMA vs Under powered sorcs #4 RNG win GG BIOfail

Noobs... i mean DRAMA vs Under Powered Sorcs #2 and #3 LOLZ!

DRAMA vs Under Powered Sorcs #1

Even the one their lost if I'm not wrong. But, they said they lost because:

You mean the team that jonie and I beat with two pugs 4 times I a row? Yeah prolly.

The full drama team, won with an RNG acid round (they have it highlighted) one match, and lost the next match (which they don't have highlighted...).

The half drama/white noise team got farmed 4 times in a row by Liege, Fir'nen, Jonie and I.

What I don't know if is true or not, is this:

p.s. Our record against the Drama/White Noise team from ToFN that we heard "creampied" your team was 1-1 :) But this is just hearsay.

And here's the original post:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=679337&page=14

A lot of "trash talk" in that thread btw.

Kind regards.

If I'm not wrong, Mudclot (Casual?) have all their games from PTS in his stream:

Mega Nubz (DRAMA) vs Team Canada / USA (Kingclot Cleave)

Scrizubs.. i mean DRAMA vs Under powered sorcs #4 RNG win GG BIOfail

Noobs... i mean DRAMA vs Under Powered Sorcs #2 and #3 LOLZ!

DRAMA vs Under Powered Sorcs #1

Even the one their lost if I'm not wrong. But, they said they lost because:

What I don't know if is true or not, is this:

And here's the original post:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=679337&page=14

A lot of "trash talk" in that thread btw.

Kind regards.

Well, that lighting sorcerer setup was the hardcounter to DRAMA's setup... But you're right, the bigmouthed DRAMA aren't the best.