Am i wrong in picking an RP-PvE server?

OddballEasyEight

I am very new to this whole MMO scene... tried a bit of anarchy online for a few days but didnt really get into it. Tried 14 days free trial of SWG way back in the day but ended up spending most of my time dancing in cantinas for money more or less...

I also played city of heroes on a free trial, but couldnt see myself playing it long-term.

BUT, im going to play SW:TOR since i fell in love with it when trying it for the beta weekend and im a huge fan of RP games in general and KotOR specifically...

so, i decided id go on an RP server for a couple of reasons:

1: i hate it when people have dum names like xXxIhaveabig####xXx and the like.

2: i want to play with people who act like what they are playing (so no light side pure jedi consulars ninja-ing my loot and letting me do all the legwork in flashpoints)

3: i intend to make decisions and generally act like my character would in the game.

I dont intend to be in-character all the time tho and im not really sure about the rules of conduct on RP servers... i like to take it easy off-character without having to go through loops to do it...

Well...any RP-PvE will work...just take a pick. Dont let anyone sway you to this or that, pick for yourself basically. Of course im abit of a believer in you go to a RP-PvE server you should atleast RP seeing thats what it for and some very hard core RPers believe you should just go off to a pve server so you dont take up spots for RPers.

It varies, sometimes the RP community is good sometimes its drama fulled.

Edited by Bobinator

I am very new to this whole MMO scene... tried a bit of anarchy online for a few days but didnt really get into it. Tried 14 days free trial of SWG way back in the day but ended up spending most of my time dancing in cantinas for money more or less...

I also played city of heroes on a free trial, but couldnt see myself playing it long-term.

BUT, im going to play SW:TOR since i fell in love with it when trying it for the beta weekend and im a huge fan of RP games in general and KotOR specifically...

2: i want to play with people who act like what they are playing (so no light side pure jedi consulars ninja-ing my loot and letting me do all the legwork in flashpoints)

3: i intend to make decisions and generally act like my character would in the game.

I dont intend to be in-character all the time tho and im not really sure about the rules of conduct on RP servers... i like to take it easy off-character without having to go through loops to do it...

A RP Server doesnt demand players to be In Character all the time, we all need to be able to run around in a warzone kicking of some steam ;). The most important for those on a RP Server is that you support Roleplay, and when you do not RP yourself, you do not spend your time annoying other players and individuals in their game experience.

And if you want to RP occasionally, you are definitly more then welcome on a RP Server.

Hope it helps.

I'm unsure about any official rules of conduct asside from a naming policy, and if there are, they're generally not policed very effectively (This is true for previous games, not sure about TOR).

You generally find most roleplayers are similar to you, roleplaying when it suits them, and performing missions / participating in Warzones, Operations or Flashpoints.

Ultimately it's your game to play and you should play it as you wish.

One element of RP servers which generally is unique to them, are arguments about roleplay being difficult to rectify as they're down to a persons perception, often really trivial things like

"You couldn't enter to see me playing pazaak while smuggling slaves as that door was locked! So there!"

In my experience though, these occasions are rare, and you fall into a niche of roleplay which suits you and your character.

Any decent person who RPs should feel it is perfectly reasonable to help out less experienced Roleplayers if they are asked for advise.

Edited by Surberus

Well I would prefer if you went to an normal server first to learn the rope.

Wait if you got around in the beta then skip that but something anyone should do it so read an bit of lore in most case the amount provided in game is enough for the basic but to get into the higher ranks you need to read an bit.

Don't aim to hight sith lord and that as everyone would be one even if the quest addresses you as sith, same reason.

that's all to begin whit.

Im well versed in the lore (at least for anyone that hasnt read every single SW novel ever made, but i did gammaster the roleplaying game once upon a time and ive also read alot of wookiepedia stuff... that site is dangerous :p )

and ive played in the beta like i said... and ive played alot of RPG's (both computer and pen and paper) so that bits done...

you're overthinkin' it dude. RP servers usually have slightly more stringent naming policies and less stigma around roleplay. If you want to start on an RP server, by all means; each server is made by its community (or lack thereof). Edited by vahn_ails

Oh well, i went with an RP-PvE server after all... well... there was no doubt about it really, once that server selection screen came up it was the only choice for me.

see y'all out there!

Hey Oddball. I'm new-to-the-scene-too, and thinking of following the same route. Sort of curious to try out some of the RP parts, but not quite sure how it's going to play out. Let us know how it goes if you get a chance!

I generally recommend RP-PvP. Its most likly in your role to kill the guys you do not like. But hey... it would be just another missed opportunity. In the end factions might doesnt mean any ... i mean if you have fun doing what you doing ... just dont p on my slavewookie again! :D

Hi Oddball. I am also thinking of going to a RP/PvE server. I played WoW for years on Shadow Council which was supposed to be a semi-hardcore RP server. It wasn't much different from my other East Coast PVE servers. No one did the "in character" thing in guilds or raids, some of the toon names were on the kiddie side, trade chat was still AOL troll chat, etc. I tried a few other RP servers and they were the same as well. I'm not complaining at all, WoW was a great game and I had some great times on those servers, I just would've liked to have had the RP experience. I sure hope this game is alot different in that regard. Star Wars lore is so rich that I can't see myself NOT engrossing in roleplay (within moderation, not sure my brain is wired for hardcore roleplay. I think I would eventually get weirded out! lol :)..). Never the less I am going to try and hopefully both our experiences will be to our expectations.

Have fun and good luck man! :)

Edited by Connar

I absolutely love RP servers and have played on them in about half of my games. The other times when it was not an RP server was when a friend or guild picked another one. I pick them by choice and have usually been happy. I was very happy on my last RP server (Faeblight--Rift) and was so glad that I was patient sitting through the queues right at launch. It was well worth finding a great server from the start.

I'm not a huge RPer. I do try it on occasion but will happily listen to others RP. A few personal reasons why I like them:

-generally a nice group of people and it can be a bit more mature enviromnent than some others.

-player driven RP events are a great thing

-if the server is a popular one and has been designated as the unoffical RP server, the population will continue to be healthy, even when the initial hype has worn off. One reason why I liked Faeblight in Rift--seemed to have a healthy population and I never got that ghost town feeling. The same can be said of any other "popular" or designed server. Just have to put up with queues at the start.

I've never been forced to RP, I've never been talked down to in chat. In Rift, I remember running over one RPer with my turtle and he admonished me for not watching where I was riding. I got into the spirit of things and eventually joined their guild. It was all in good fun.

I highly recommend them!!

I don't RP, but I love RP servers. In AoC, the RP server (wiccana) was the only one where the player population wasn't completely toxic. In LotRO, I rolled on Landroval, and had such a good time there. From just listening to the hobbit RP in the Shire, to catching a music concert on Bree. It was always so relaxing and chill.

The gf and I probably won't get into early access until this weekend. So I've been spending this time trying to size up the player community and decide on a server. We've been discussing rolling on an RP server, just so we get to play with a more mature crowd.

As long as we don't disrupt your RP fun, would we still be welcome in this community if we aren't into RP ourselves? What are the chances that there would be a non-rp guild to join so we could make friends with like-minded players?

...would we still be welcome in this community if we aren't into RP ourselves?

People should feel free to go onto whatever server they wish, and everyone on that server should remember that they're part of the community.

Its a good attitude you have, not wanting to disrupt other peoples enjoyment; so if that's what you want to do and I for one would be thrilled to have people of many varying interests on a server.

Overall, as I've said previously, you'll never be penalised or looked down on for not spending enough (or any time) RPing (Who is going to notice for a start?), though I'd imagine you might want to give it a go once you're surrounded by it :rolleyes:.

Edited by Surberus

I started on an RP server yesterday because that what my guild chose to do. I was interested in it as well to see how it pans out. I played pretty much all day yesterday and I have to say, if I didn't know I was on an RP server, I would have thought it was a regular PvE. Not one person in General chat or my guilds chat was in character. Lol.

If nothing else, do it so you won't see xxVaderzz running around. :cool:

D.

I love RP myself and wouldn't pick any other kind of server. That said, those of us that do RP really don't mind those of you who don't but we do ask one thing. Respect people that are roleplaying and don't troll or grief them. That's really the only thing I can think of that will irritate people and end up causing trouble for yourself.

And if you do decide you want to RP, go for it! I'm willing to help out and answer questions a new RPer might have.

That said, I will offer this HUGE piece of advice to anyone who wants to try and a reminder to those that do.

IC is IC and OOC is OOC. The two should never mix. Always keep in mind that the player is NOT the character and just because a character might do or say something that might be offensive it doesn't mean the player is horrible person. One of the greatest and nicest and funniest people I know can play the best, meanest, most horrid bad guys I've ever met in RP. Player does NOT equal character!

Edited by xerintha

I love RP myself and wouldn't pick any other kind of server. That said, those of us that do RP really don't mind those of you who don't but we do ask one thing. Respect people that are roleplaying and don't troll or grief them. That's really the only thing I can think of that will irritate people and end up causing trouble for yourself.

And if you do decide you want to RP, go for it! I'm willing to help out and answer questions a new RPer might have.

That said, I will offer this HUGE piece of advice to anyone who wants to try and a reminder to those that do.

IC is IC and OOC is OOC. The two should never mix. Always keep in mind that the player is NOT the character and just because a character might do or say something that might be offensive it doesn't mean the player is horrible person. One of the greatest and nicest and funniest people I know can play the best, meanest, most horrid bad guys I've ever met in RP. Player does NOT equal character!

This.

Edited by Crumblin

I'm an RPer myself, and I actually love the thought of people curious or semi-sure about wanting to RP joining on RP servers. It's the only way that we can get new RPers, really, and even if you don't become a hardcore, fanfic writin', storyline driving mega-RPer, I know I wouldn't wanna turn down more people to quest and play with so long as you're respectful and courteous of my and others' RP. A quick tip to those that are REALLY new and ogling this thread, you know someone's Out Of Character if they put their text in some form of brackets ((like this.)) Also, Lord Adraas is the unofficial US RP-PVE 'superserver' for those interested.

I agree with Velzlin, but be aware that Lord Adraas has attracted x8 the complaints for misconduct in open chat of Vrook Lamar. I've been playing on all the RP servers looking for the one I enjoy most and as of day two Vrook Lamar is going strong. Obviously that may change as launch continues...

Heh, when i was talking about this with a friend of mine he reminded me that i did roleplay a BIT in neverwinter nights online :D

i played a horrendusly moronic fat barbarian (but good at fighting) that kept following one group around and "helping" them kill enemies (i say helping, but i was waaay lower level than them and they mostly helped me by protecting me) just because my character was in love with one of the characters in the group.

His entire repertoar of conversation was made up of "duuh, you purdy" and "i wants follow purdy gurl and protekt her" and the likes...

no sensible conversation was ever made between me and the group. At first they were kinda annoyed that they couldnt talk to me and had to help me out all the time, but then they warmed up to the idea hehe...

of course that was only for one night... couldnt be arsed to keep playing a complete moron :p

I started on an RP server yesterday because that what my guild chose to do. I was interested in it as well to see how it pans out. I played pretty much all day yesterday and I have to say, if I didn't know I was on an RP server, I would have thought it was a regular PvE. Not one person in General chat or my guilds chat was in character. Lol.

If nothing else, do it so you won't see xxVaderzz running around. :cool:

D.

General Chat & Trade are usually OOC.

Say and yell are IC

Whisper, party and Guild up the the people in those channels. Some guilds have Guild chat as IC others as OOC there's no all encompassing rule. Usually depends on how into RP that guild is and if the lore makes long distance comms sensible.

[quote=OddballEasyEight;41376

Then it sounds like RP-PvE would be great. If you're West Coat (NA), would love to run into you on Begeren Colony.