Anyone else having trouble with Maul?

Docyrian

Ok, I've been looking for quite awhile, and I don't see a thread for this. So here i go.

I have noticed, moreso over the last few days, that sometimes my Maul ability gets "stuck". Either stealthed or un-stealthed, in or out of combat, sometimes I'll hit my Maul ability, my character starts "the windup" and then just stops and goes back to holding the lightsaber at his side.

I had this happen 5 times in a ROW last night, I stealthed up behind a mob, hit my hotkey, windup aaaaaand.....BALK....

Is this something exclusive to me? Or are other people having this issue?

It's lag, usually more obvious in a Warzone. You'll go through your Maul animation but the game will notify you that your target isn't really where you think he is, so the animation gets aborted repeatedly. After a second or two you'll see your target teleport 5 meters in front of you, which confirms the fact that you were indeed trying to Maul thin air. When this happens, try to move forward a few meters and Maul again, especially in PvP, because whatever you're trying to Maul sure isn't at where it looks like he may be in your screen. This even happens in PvE, but mobs are less likely to move around in PvE. Edited by Astarica

"the windup"

Made me lol irl, so true.

Which raises a question, maul is a direct attack and not force, could the failed windup be the end result of getting dodged or parried from behind?

I havent had the chance to pvp much yet, but being a rogue refugee from world of poopcraft I certainly remember that you needed +hit AND expertise hard capped to not miss *even* from behind.

The difference being, in poopcraft there werent seperate animations for misses and hits and this may be contributing to how the ability appears to be broken but might not be.

I know if I am off GCD and have the resources and trigger a maul/backstab it will most certainly still hit even if the npc has gone on to face me or run off by the time the "hit" part of the animation plays out, leaving me to believe that the ability is indeed fine and not broken and that we as a whole as consumers just arent used to animations not being ambigious and lasting the entire GCD, which is fine, just new and different.

This exact issue is why I cannot bring myself to play deception at all. I got so extremely frustrated trying to maul, watching the duplicity buff tick away while my character repeatedly did HALF the combat animation to maul with no attack ever landing.

I am very disappointed that bioware put combat animations before EVERY other aspect of the game. Playing a melee is rough enough in a place like huttball but when you add in a positional attack like maul, and make it only efficient to use when a buff procs, and have that buff on a really short duration... its a recipe for failure. Add in warzone lag, ability bars locking up, and other ability activation lag, and I can't see why anyone would willingly chose to play a character that relies on a positional proc based attack.

Never had a problem with maul though I dont use it much with my spec, I have however noticed the same thing with assassinate. It only happens in pvp as soon as it lights up I spam it (which is admittadly probably the problem) and I just sorta lift my lightsaber over my head and play helicopter with it. While it does look quite fun it doesnt help me kill much. :p

I switched to Madness Because of this :( Duplicity would just run out waiting for my character to actually attack the mob. Got noticed in stealth several times dancing behind mobs. I did notice if you jump it helps but was not worth staying Deception till this got fixed. Plus I kind like Madness now, think I'll stick with it. :cool:

Ok, obviously I'm not entirely alone lol.

I play madness spec, for the record. Being that it;s a "balanced" force/melee tree, i still use Maul quite a bit. I did notice last night, however, something I hadn't seen before. When it "glitched", I saw a message that said "action failed to execute" or something to that nature.

I was standing directly behind the target, once again, and wasn't moving. i was still stealthed but Maul can be used from stealth. I dunno.

For the record, this is ALL in PvE. I haven't noticed it in PvP, but that's probably because I'm usually too busy getting my *** handed to me lol. I suck at PvP.

This is a known issue and has to do with the delayed responsiveness / animation problems. There is a huge thread talking about this in the general forums. It's not lag it's the design of the hero engine. BW is looking into this. It's frustrating as he'll because you'll also notice that quite frequently your maul will strike but the server doesnt register the damage.

This is a huge problem and very frustrating

This happens to me all the time when I go to maul someone and it the animation starts but then it gives me the classic "you must be behind your target message" then I see them slide across the ground way over ---> that way

always lower than 100 ping as well and @ 60 fps

When are server optimizations happening?

This is a huge problem and very frustrating

This happens to me all the time when I go to maul someone and it the animation starts but then it gives me the classic "you must be behind your target message" then I see them slide across the ground way over ---> that way

always lower than 100 ping as well and @ 60 fps

When are server optimizations happening?

so you recon its server optimization or this ability delay thingy or both. With maul and assassinate messing up i recon im losing 20% of my dps

Surprised to see so many going through this.

HOnestly, the only time i notice the "windup and fail", is if i'm trying to maul right on the cusp of the "back" arc - and either the tank moves the mob so i'm in the front arc before the animation concludes, or i grab aggro and the mob turns towards me (again, so i'm in the front arc before the animation concludes).

That's the only time i've seen it fail like described.

To the OP - i'm assuming that this is happening even when you're dead center in the back arc, and no on the edges ?

That said: assassinate screws up all the time for me, which is really annoying. I will sit there and hammer away on my hotkey for it, and the mob is definitely below 30%, and my toon will just sit there (even with full force).

That's really annoying, so i feel your pain.

Edited by Shinavast