irl speculation,what code do you adhere too?jedi or sith?

Baphomet_x

this is probably a one sided notion,as the majority of human beings whether they know it or not,are more applicable to the sith code

id think the planet earth would make a good crown jewel for the empire no?there wouldnt be much converting to do as most people to some extent already live by the sith code

Baphomet is essentially saying that people are mean and by extension "live" by the Sith code i.e. following their passions, using their emotions and not using pure logic for making decisions, perhaps even having a flexible moral code. Also, Earth would apparently be good for the Empire, as we're *****.

The problem with living by either Order's code is that each represents an extreme: adherence to emotion or being abhorrent of it (simplified, I know. I've not really done any philosophical readings on either Order), and that simply doesn't work in the real world.

If we were doing a scale, with Jedi being 1 and Sith being 6, I'd probably be around a 2. This is really only because I have a tendency to get quite stressed and yell at people unfairly, which is bad as I'm an Operations leader and healer, so I make a conscious effort to be in control of that. Doesn't always work.

Lightside Sith, probably, at least how prequal trilogy & TOR seems to treat things.

From what I understand, even "good" emotions (such as love) are "sith". (and I'm sorry, while I could see how love could lead to the darkside, love itself I would argue is STRONGLY lightside.)

Course, I would argue that the jedi are a bunch of hypocrites. There is no way I could see them doing what they do/sacrifice what they sacrifice if they didn't have a lot of love for their fellow beings. Which in itself would appear to violate the basic tenants of the jedi code.

edit: And yes, in regards to the earth. Emotions rule. Mostly good, (I would argue) but some bad. Either way it certainly isn't "pure unemotional logic". Thus... Sith.

Edited by GnatB

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

now that is pure epicness

what im saying is that basically,even if you think your good irl..almost everything you do is against the jedi code,you feel love,compassion,anger (we all feel that in some amount everyday)

everything that composes the notion of someone having a "soul" goes against the jedi code basically...everything that makes you human is therefor sith

You removed the post I was referring to, but not this one. So I edit it.

To thread, I stand by my previous post. In general, humans will fall between the two Codes, with natural inclinations toward being a bit Sith-y, because emotions are a natural thing.

Edited by Tatile

Just because someone expresses their emotions/passions doesn't necessarily make them a follower of the Sith path.

If simple expressions of anger are all it takes to be considered a Sith, then every road raging citizen of the Republic might as well defect to the Empire. That's what you seem to be implying.

im just expressing that the jedi seem to enjoy alot of rulebending of there code

the republic is also somewhat different from the jedi

the jedi are supposed to follow there code without error,yet everytime they smile,everytime they move,everytime they protect something..they are violating there code

Hello everyone,

Quick heads up that we recently removed several posts for being off-topic. If you quoted or responded to any of this content, your post may have been removed as well.

As a friendly reminder, if you see someone who you believe may be in violation of the Rules of Conduct, please report the post or the member instead of responding in kind. This allows for discussion to continued uninterrupted.

Thanks!

everytime they move

That seems like a slight exaggeration. I'm sure emotion isn't intrinsically tied to movement - also, I would take it that Jedi do not allow emotion to influence their connection to the Force, nor do they use it to fuel their abilities, therefore they could still feel emotion, but have a need to repress it, not voice it.

Depends on how you interpret the Jedi Code. I don't interpret it the way most do.

This is my interpretation of the code:

I t does not say that is how one should act. It does not say Act with No Emotion. Instead it shows us the error in heedlessly following our human nature. Emotion clouds peace, ignorance overshadows knowledge, passion distorts serenity, chaos destroys harmony, death hides the Force. Now lets bring this all together and look at each line of the Jedi Code and how it exactly guidesi in daily life.

There is no emotion; there is peace. A Jedi acts and reacts in a calm manner, not allowing the emotions they are feeling to cloud their judgment, reasoning, and objective.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. A Jedi faces each new challenge with the opportunity to gain more knowledge. They do not fear the unknown, but take the chance to learn about the unknown.

There is no passion; there is serenity. A Jedi does not allow their passions in life to affect their judgment, reason, or objectives. A Jedi acts and reacts keeping a serene mind, unaffected by their personal desire.

There is no chaos; there is harmony. A Jedi seeks moderation and balance with all things. Even though life can be very chaotic a Jedi finds harmony with that chaos. Balance in the world around them, balance within themselves, the middle-ground in each situation, and even on a larger scale harmony between technology and nature.

And lastly there is no death; there is the Force. A Jedi understands that the Force is created and associated with life. Yet death is also a natural part of life. For a Jedi there is no fear of death. For death is merely one more unknown, another chance for the Jedi to gain knowledge about the Force itself.

Even if you are angry you should be able to find harmony or a solution to the problem if you take the time to calm down and look at the problem in a rational manner. Sometimes that means taking a walk or just getting away from the situation until you are calmer.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

im just expressing that the jedi seem to enjoy alot of rulebending of there code

the jedi are supposed to follow there code without error,yet everytime they smile,everytime they move,everytime they protect something..they are violating there code

It is their code, and they acknowledge that they will not always follow it like robots, but it is their guidelines to a productive life (of a jedi)

It is their code, and they acknowledge that they will not always follow it like robots, but it is their guidelines to a productive life (of a jedi)

Peace is a Lie there is only Passion

Through Passion I gain Strength

Through Strength I gain Power

Through Power I gain Victory

Through Victory my chains are Broken

I used a red blade in SWG and carry one here for the same reason.

I'd say I sit in the grey area IRL. I'm not quite as a paragon of virtue as my Lightside Knight, but not as evil as my Darkside Warrior. Just, you know, in between.

well finally someone says this...this is good...wandering between both codes,whatever suits your fancy at the time,the path of chaos is more flexible as you`ve proven (chaos in this definition being a person in a state who is both capable of great evil,and great good...yet wont do so without good reason)

The revised Jedi Code is worded pretty restrictively, compared to the original. And since there was no justification in the original Code for the Jedi Council to ban or severely restrict marriage and relationships, George had them change it to add "There is no" instead of "yet" in each line. Therefore, it was better to justify the garbage in the Prequels with Anakin and Padme having to keep it a secret.

The Jedi Councils throughout history have interpreted the Jedi Code in the strictest possible sense. Basically, they became Nookie Nazis.

Interesting question actually when you take it to new grounds. I had a discussion with a friend last semester just before I dropped out about Star Wars being symbolic of archetypes in human spirituality. Think a type of universal consciousness, and how it was the device that brought Eastern philosophical ideas about being to the Western mainstream consciousness.

Being a philosophy major, former philosophy major, I've spent a good deal of time piddling around thinking about this question, OP.

Like some have already said, I think most people tend to fall somewhere in a spectrum between the two since both represent extremes. There is a sort of single mindedness within both camps that disturbs me on a psychological level, because I feel like healthy human beings just don't act that way. An inability to meet people halfway regarding decision making and moral choices is probably going to be a huge hindrance in any society.

That being said, societies at large in the Star Wars universe seem to be sort of afraid of both the Jedi and the Sith in the sense that they view them as "others". They understand that they are inherently different, living by different rules, and for various reason, this causes division between the Jedi, Sith, and society at large.

An example would be the citizens of the Republic seeing the Jedi as uncompromising dawdlers who are content to stand by and do nothing for the sake of "clarity", when any sane human would be compelled to act. Or, a blind adherence to morality caused by an inability to see things from all perspectives and perhaps "bend" one's morality. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

The citizens of the Empire on the other hand are terrified of the Sith. They Sith are sociopathic social darwinists who take delight in heeding the gene pool along. It's quite disturbing. Again, they are playing by a moral code that is entirely foreign to "normal" people, or the majority if you prefer that term.

So when applied to our own lives, we can see that we feel no different from society at large in the Star Wars universe. How do you view sociopathic, uncompromising social darwinists? We view them as being insane. How do we view someone who is stoic to the point of them blindly following a moral code that often binds them to total inaction? We view them as being strange, dawdling, and insane as well, just in a different fashion.

As far as what code we "appear to follow"... I would say again it is a synthesis of the two existing on a spectrum. Sometimes we are selfish, passionate, and despising of weakness, other times we are calm, absolutely moral, and attempt to be selfless.

Didn't Revan practice some kind of synthesis of both Jedi and Sith ways? If so, has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps that is why he is/was so great? Because he understood that aiming at the means is better than the extremes, and perspective is king. Just speculation from someone who is woefully uninformed about the details of his character.