Force/Tech Damage and Mitigation

Uchoo

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'd like to share my thoughts on mitigation vs these types of attacks.

Facts:

Internal/Elemental damage benefit from fighting through almost no mitigation in most cases.

Force/Tech attacks cannot be shielded against/Defended against. In an ideal situation, I have about a 40% defense chance versus melee attacks and 35% shield chance.

I think that for the sake of PvP...Shield chance should work against Force/Tech attacks. I have 16% mitigation against these attacks and I think it's a little out of line.

Also, I think that implants/earpieces, some of the gear that doesn't have Armor on it should have Internal/Elemental Resistance. I don't think that a 15-25% resistance before talents/buffs is far out of line in Tier 3 gear (Rakata/Battlemaster).

This is speaking from Defensive Juggernaught experience. I don't want people to think that I'm QQ'ing because specs with these damage types really blow me up, I also find it unfair for classes that use physical/kinetic damage and Melee/Ranged attack types.

Trying to avoid TL:DR here, Any thoughts?

ITT: Operatives are opening for so much damage please give me more defense against them so they are no longer able to reach that 2.5k damage medal.

Lightning/Tracer is dealing so much damage to me, give me defense against it so I no longer have to LOS.

Edited by Howbadisbad

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I'd like to share my thoughts on mitigation vs these types of attacks.

Facts:

Internal/Elemental damage benefit from fighting through almost no mitigation in most cases.

Force/Tech attacks cannot be shielded against/Defended against. In an ideal situation, I have about a 40% defense chance versus melee attacks and 35% shield chance.

I think that for the sake of PvP...Shield chance should work against Force/Tech attacks. I have 16% mitigation against these attacks and I think it's a little out of line.

Also, I think that implants/earpieces, some of the gear that doesn't have Armor on it should have Internal/Elemental Resistance. I don't think that a 15-25% resistance before talents/buffs is far out of line in Tier 3 gear (Rakata/Battlemaster).

This is speaking from Defensive Juggernaught experience. I don't want people to think that I'm QQ'ing because specs with these damage types really blow me up, I also find it unfair for classes that use physical/kinetic damage and Melee/Ranged attack types.

Trying to avoid TL:DR here, Any thoughts?

SHielding Tech/Force attacks should happen. Direct attacks anyways. Your shield would reasonably work on a missile, lightning, rocks, etc.

DoTs, not so much, AOEs landing near you, not so much, etc.

Internal/Elemental damage have low base numbers to account for the fact that most characters have no defense against it. They're meant to be relatively low but reliable damage.

I don't think it's inherently bad that Tech/Force attacks are undefendable. It's even okay for a Sorc who only has Force attacks because they numbers are balanced around their attacks never miss. It's only a problem when you've a class with a mix of attacks but the Tech attacks are almost strictly better in all ways.

Internal/Elemental damage have low base numbers to account for the fact that most characters have no defense against it. They're meant to be relatively low but reliable damage.

I don't think it's inherently bad that Tech/Force attacks are undefendable. It's even okay for a Sorc who only has Force attacks because they numbers are balanced around their attacks never miss. It's only a problem when you've a class with a mix of attacks but the Tech attacks are almost strictly better in all ways.

Yeah, but tanks should have an edge in survivability. Since only tanks use shields (they need to be in their defensive "stance" to have a shield chance) making some of these direct attacks shieldable makes tanks more useful.

I'd like to hear some experience from players who play Sorc/BH/etc.

Operatives, I don't have as much of a problem with. If you CC or Force Push after their first CC, the fight gets a lot easier. That's a different bag of bones though.

I just feel that the game would be more fluid with changes like this. Maybe my vision isn't right, I haven't had enough time behind the wheel of a Sorc/Operative/Pyro BH to justify things like this.

Yeah, but tanks should have an edge in survivability. Since only tanks use shields (they need to be in their defensive "stance" to have a shield chance) making some of these direct attacks shieldable makes tanks more useful.

I'd rather have some attacks reclassified on their attack type. Backstab, for example, should be melee, not Tech. Tracer Missile and Power Shot should've their type switched (Tracer -> range, Power -> tech).

And I don't necessarily think that Tanks should be super survivable against everything. There are always tankbuster specs/classes. I think that Classes that don't benefit from heavy armor and a shield generator should possibly have a higher base mitigation against these types of attacks.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I still believe there should be some form of rock/paper/scissors in class vs class.

Also, the physical attacks that heavier armor DO get hit with typically have a pretty good chunk of armor pen behind them.

Can't happen with guard in the game.

As long as guard is in the game tanks will be bad at actually tanking.

Guard is a stupid mechanic for that reason. It makes it so tanks can't be able to actually mitigate damage well because then it'd be overpowered.

So make it so that the damage they take FROM GUARD isn't mitigated, ever. Burning the tank's target would be the best way to deal with a strong tank that way.

Can't happen with guard in the game.

As long as guard is in the game tanks will be bad at actually tanking.

Guard is a stupid mechanic for that reason. It makes it so tanks can't be able to actually mitigate damage well because then it'd be overpowered.

I don't know if you played Warhammer or not, but Guard was pretty easy to deal with because you had a chance to "DEFEND" against guard damage. It's another one of my thoughts regarding pvp tanking in SWTOR. If I have a 30% deflect chance, why not make it so I can defend against guard damage and increase my survivability on a team?

The problem I see with this is that Vanguards/Powertech's don't get a high defense chance (Or Assassin tanks) so the answer is a little clunky when only Guardians/Juggs get a respectable defense in their tank builds.

I think the idea Bioware had here was "Okay, you should know when to take guard off and use it more retroactively." I have adjusted to this but I still don't think I believe in it.

And I don't necessarily think that Tanks should be super survivable against everything. There are always tankbuster specs/classes. I think that Classes that don't benefit from heavy armor and a shield generator should possibly have a higher base mitigation against these types of attacks.

Maybe I'm just old school, but I still believe there should be some form of rock/paper/scissors in class vs class.

Also, the physical attacks that heavier armor DO get hit with typically have a pretty good chunk of armor pen behind them.

I agree with you. Defense is UP in PvP because there are so many things that bypass the defensive stats. You can't shield critical hits, you have nearly zero mitigation against internal/elemental damage (and inqs/cons have skill points to reduce your int/ele mitigation even further) and almost everyone has armor penetration because just about every ability is a "special" with a base of 100% hit chance. Thus, any accuracy rating at all puts most attacks over 100% and gives them a passive armor pen (and high end gear has lots of accuracy rating). Then you have classes with stacking armor debuffs and high damage attacks that avoid armor completely (shad/assa). All that combined makes playing a tank for the mitigation benefits in PvP nearly worthless.

I'm to the point where I ditch the defense gear for dps gear in PvP. Honestly, I die about the same frequency and do more damage. It's a bit of a no-brainer.