Petition to officially change the name to GunshipStarFighter

NathanielStarr

And let me quess, you were all flying in your no-brain scouts, right? Of course you were.

So what would you recommend? The above comment is hardly adding to the topic.

Out of the 4 classes, the best counter to the gunship is a gunship.

The best counter to a scout, is a gunship.

The best counter to a bomber, is a gunship,

The best counter for a strike fighter, is a gunship.

As you can see, gunships have an edge.

Umm, no. Pike/Imp mirror is the best counter to every ship. It's hardly the games fault you can't fly for ****. It ain't the fastest way to kill, but it sure as hell is the most versatile with the most staying power if played right with the right components.

Edited by Jandi

What's so difficult with using a barrel roll to counter act the barrel rolling gunship?

What's so difficult with using a barrel roll to counter act the barrel rolling gunship?

Logic? On this forum? PREPOSTEROUS!

You can use barrel roll to close the gap between you and the gs near instantly OR you can use it to go after them.

The fact that you can counteract every other class with a variety of engine components but to counteract a gunship you absolutely must have barrel roll.

The fact that you can counteract every other class with a variety of engine components but to counteract a gunship you absolutely must have barrel roll.

Or you can learn to use directional shields. A mstered slug rail is a bump in the road for mastered directional shields turned forward.

Or you can learn to use directional shields. A mstered slug rail is a bump in the road for mastered directional shields turned forward.

I am fully aware of how effective directional can be. I am also fully aware that the moment your ship gets within optimal weapon range of that gunship, that gunship is going to trollroll to the other side of the map.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Umm, no. Pike/Imp mirror is the best counter to every ship. It's hardly the games fault you can't fly for ****. It ain't the fastest way to kill, but it sure as hell is the most versatile with the most staying power if played right with the right components.

Oh my stomach hurt with laughter when I read this. Pike lol.

You were right on one thing tho, I cant fly for ****.... lol

Edited by Yndras

If you are using Slug as your first shot on any ship other that a scout id say your doing it wrong. ION rail is a hard counter to any ship. one hit with this and then one with the slug. goodnight...

Even if it's a rant, he is right.

The last 4 deathmatches all ended with my team getting slaughter by two gunships.

We lost by an extreme huge margin and they got 75% of all kills in all matches.

My whole team tried to killed them and we got insta gibed 75% of the time. The few times we could destroy one we there so badly damage that the rest of their team could kill us with a fly slap. Even our Vets said it's pointless.

Never mind there are obsticles between you and the gunship that you can use to your advantage.

If you are using Slug as your first shot on any ship other that a scout id say your doing it wrong. ION rail is a hard counter to any ship. one hit with this and then one with the slug. goodnight...

No, it isn't. That's the point all you scount failures don't seem to understand. One Ion doesn't deplete the entire directional pool. But hey, keep crying and getting owned, it's funny.

Fully upgraded Ion does less damage than one arc of directionals. Then you switch the shields around to front and you have another arc that soaks up yet another full Ion or a slug with ease. At that point if you aren't close enough for the GS to stpo using a railgun then you should just stick to the ground game.

I've mastered most of my Pike, missing blasters and 1 Tier from Protons and do you know how many times I've been killed by a lone gunship since I mastered my shields and learned to actually use them? 0.

Edited by Jandi

No, it isn't. That's the point all you scount failures don't seem to understand. One Ion doesn't deplete the entire directional pool. But hey, keep crying and getting owned, it's funny.

Fully upgraded Ion does less damage than one arc of directionals. Then you switch the shields around to front and you have another arc that soaks up yet another full Ion or a slug with ease. At that point if you aren't close enough for the GS to stpo using a railgun then you should just stick to the ground game.

I've mastered most of my Pike, missing blasters and 1 Tier from Protons and do you know how many times I've been killed by a lone gunship since I mastered my shields and learned to actually use them? 0.

Lol, you have 0 engine power, 0 laser power and slowed by 40%. If you can close that gap without thrusters..... well, you must be cheating.

Its not that your shield arcs are gone,... its that you are dead in the water, if the gunship doesn't kill you, the scout behind you will.

Lol, you have 0 engine power, 0 laser power and slowed by 40%. If you can close that gap without thrusters..... well, you must be cheating.

Its not that your shield arcs are gone,... its that you are dead in the water, if the gunship doesn't kill you, the scout behind you will.

If I'm slowed by 40%, I'll regen enough power to use my barrel roll to get to him before the next shot. The scout behind me? So now it's 2 on 1? If you complain about a ship, don't bring other ships into it, if you do, where is my gunship buddy? Or better yet, where is the scout that kills the gs while he's shooting at me?

If the ion has the engine disable ability, it doesn't have the slow, in which case I can cruise to him before he kills me, easily.

If he starts charging a shot at 15k, I'll be in proton range before he fires it, in cluster range before the next one, even without boost. At that point if he doesn't bolt, he is dead and I'm not. If he doesn't charge the shot to full, it's meaningless as it wont even make a dent. and by the time he gets my shields down, I'll be in cluster range and at which point, if he doesn't bolt, he's dead due to the hit from proton with 100% shield and hull piercing.

The poin tis that he needs 2 FULLY charged shots to even get to my hull and a third fully charged shot from a slug to kill me. Regardless of his upgrade choice, I *will* get to him before that happens and kill him if he doesn't barrel roll away from the proton and if he does, he's dead unless he barrel rolls to a capital ship as he has no real ways of actually escaping me, just evading.

Regardless of what upgrades he has, it takes roughtly 10s to kill me if he fires the instant the shot is chraged. It's an impossibility game-mechanics wise to kill a Pike with mastered directional shields in that time before the pike gets to your side and out of sight for your railgun.

So, learn to play instead of simply whining.

Edited by Jandi

Meh. I'd take barrel roll even if gunships didn't exist. I feel helplessly slow without my sprint.

Also I don't even use barrel roll on approach to gunships, boost gives me much finer control. And it is really freaking easy to avoid the gunship ion on your approach - just fly on an arc and watch your target window.

Seriously Crinn I don't know where all your complaints come from. I haven't found a single gunship pilot on our server I've had trouble dealing with in my Flashfire, and pretty much the only ones I haven't fought are Tsuki and myself.

Edited by Kuciwalker

Yeah because we are all idiots ...

Who could pulled a gunship and we could kill them a few times but there were 10 other people fighting you also ..

edit:

also i thought the insanely overpower sting is owning gunships with ease... (our exploded quite like all other ships)

my main is a mastered gunship, but i fly every ship except the cartel ones.

I have no idea why u struggling so much, and OP serious u need to learn every ship weakness and strengh.

I have a char with only unmodified ships and can take gunships out with minimum effert as a scout or fighter with no mods. ofc the serious pro's it takes more effert but its still no impossible, gunships are like a wet paper bag with a massive cannon, trust me i fly one most of the time and the really good pilots on their scouts and fighters have no problems either killing me or keeping so busy im not doing a fraction of what i can do.

I counteract gunships just fine flying with retros. Having tried all of the engine components on my Flashfire, I've determined that for me, the versatility I get from retros far outweighs the travel bonus I get with barrel roll. Some people will disagree, I know, but my point is countering gunships (or bombers or scouts or even strikes) is more about pilot skill and tactics than it is about equipment.

again with the bombers, i've flown them and they take skill, at least the 2500 ones.

So have I, and I would argue that all of the ships (gunships and bombers included) take skill to fly effectively. (The post was primarily snark.)

For example, I do great in scouts, okay in bombers and strikes, but totally suck at gunships. I also die far more often to strikes and scouts than to gunships or bombers. If I were to extrapolate out from my personal experience it would suggest that gunships are far too underpowered. I don't believe that, of course, as I know many very effective gunship pilots on both sides. But we can see how taking personal experience only, then exaggerating it to an extreme level, can lead too overstatements like the subject on this thread.

The classes are mostly balanced, and all can be flown effectively by pilots who know what they are doing. Are tweaks needed? Certainly. Is the game broken? No.

It's amazing how many people think that substituting a word in a game's name is some sort of witticism worthy of recognition.

GunshipStarFighter, Galactic Scout Fighter, Galactic Bomber. Most other games have the same thing, such as LRM Online or PPC Online for MWO. :)

Please don't... the only think that gets debased by such "witticism" is you. :)

As to your point, we've had gunships since the beginning of GSF, and by now we've learned well enough how to deal with them. The only time they're an issue is in TDM when they hang back near their spawn with a minefield in between, and that's more an issue with TDM permitting spawn camping than anything else. Otherwise, they're quite manageable.

Now I'm not saying there isn't still a need for some balance. Ion Railgun can still be an issue (if only because it is the most common form of CC, and CC generally sucks), but it's nowhere near as bad as the OP makes it out to be.

Bombers and gunships are the only roles that can ruin a match whether theyre on your side or the other side, that should tell the devs something. Running around dogfighting the enemy while 5 people who cant fly a ship kill everything youre chasing by keeping a cursor on them is just about as annoying as being the people getting farmed by those gunships.

I mean GSF is already a super dumbed down version of a flight game but gunships and bombers take that dumb to a whole new level. Why make a flight game for people who don't like and cant play flight games? did they really think that was a good strategy?