Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Question: Explain "Need vs Greed"

RenegadeRed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick need if you it's a piece you're going to wear right on the spot. Not your companion, not your guild friend; just you, yourself, and no one else. Also, it's something you're going to literally win and put on right on the spot, not 2 levels later.

Pick greed if you intend to sell the item and make some cash off of it.

Pick reverse engineer if you're planning on doing just that.

There are no consiquences for picking need when you don't need an item aside from people getting pissed off at you and just chosing not to game with you anymore or possibly just kick you out of the team. However, if it were up to the majority, death monkeys would jump through your window, stab you fifty-seven times, then proceed to find your lineage and destroy them.

From the Game Manual:

Loot Rolls

When the group picks up a unique item, by default, all members have the opportunity to roll for the item. When an item is put up for a roll, a window appears displaying the item. A green meter counts down how much time you have to roll for the item. Select NEED or GREED to roll for the item, and a random number is generated for every group member. The player with the highest number is awarded the item. If you want a good chance at securing the item, select NEED. Otherwise, choose GREED if you want to give the other members a better chance at obtaining the item.

Loot Options

The group leader can adjust how the party handles looting.

Free for All: Loot is gathered on a first come, first serve basis.

Round Robin: Group members alternate looting items.

Loot Threshold: Select the item quality type that initiates a loot roll. Choose from Premium, Prototype, Artifact, and Legendary item types.

Loot Master: Allows a group leader to have complete control over loot distribution.

Basically, if the group leader has set the loot threshold to Premium or better, every time a green item drops everyone in the group can roll for it. If you roll need, and everyone else rolls greed, need takes priority everytime, even if your need roll was a 1 and someone else's greed roll was 1343.

If people then argue because you need rolled on a Blaster, and you're a Sith Warrior, it's the group leader's fault for not informing everyone in advance that everyone has to roll greed on everything.

If you then continue to roll need on everything, you'll probably end up being called a ninja (loot stealer) and getting kicked.

Reverse Engineering is not an excuse for need rolling all the time. Just because you can reverse engineer an item doesn't mean that someone else can't use it themselves or sell it for credits.

When it comes to endgame, everyone should follow the Group Leader's instructions on what they should roll, and if unclear, always ask. The Group Leader will usually turn on Master Loot just before a bossfight, at which point you have to hope you're with a decent Group Leader who just won't keep everything for themselves rather than distribute the items fairly.

Hope that helps.

Reverse Engineer is the same loot priority as greed, but it reverse engineers the item before it ever hits your inventory.

If you roll a greed of 20, and I roll a reverse engineer of 50, I win, and get whatever the item breaks down into, not the item itself.

on topic but not related to the specific question: anyone else find it....I dunno...."annoying" (perhaps?) that the Need button is placed before the Greed button on the loot-interface?

i'm aware we have quite the influx of new players to MMO's and i feel like this won't help the "bumper" learning curve, to a large extent.

If you roll need on an item that you cannot use, you not your companion they don't get loot rolls, straight away you will be known as a Ninja Looter. The whole server will know this very quickly and most likely will be ostracized from any more groups or raids.

Meaning, deleted your character and go to a different server, there are no excuses as MMOs have been around for over a decade.

If in doubt roll greed.

If you roll need...there are no excuses as MMOs have been around for over a decade.

If in doubt roll greed.

I'd point out that whilst MMOs have been around for over a decade, new MMO players are born every day and this kind of thing will be new to them :)

"If in doubt roll greed" is a very wise policy, I highly recommend that everyone who isn't a Ninja looter commits this phrase to memory.

if it were up to the majority, death monkeys would jump through your window, stab you fifty-seven times, then proceed to find your lineage and destroy them.

this is how i feel with evry new player that dont know this system lol :p love that analogie

Edited by kraxiss

Hehe... I'm glad someone asked, I have been wondering about that. I thought that if you picked need the loot would go to whoever needed it, and greed was to keep the loot. Now I feel kinda bad...

Oh well, since I play solo except on flashpoints when I just join a random group, I never really put too much thought into it. :D

If someone is new to MMOs or just MMOs with a "Need/Greed" system I think it's pretty excusable if they roll need on items not needed, but only up to a certain point. I imagine most people will have experienced the system a bit by level 20 or so, by the time level 50 comes around (which, lets face it, is where anyone would really care about getting the best items, why go off on one about a level 10 item that will be replaced in 5 minutes) people should understand the system and it becomes a little less excusable to roll need on items that aren't needed or even usable at all.

But at the end of the day, it's a game, if you don't get the item that you've been searching for, shrug, swear, punch your wall if it's all that important to you and try again, don't start insulting and abusing people, it's not your god given right to have that item. If they are out to piss people off then people just won't group with them. Get angry and they've won.

Ages ago, I got confused about this as well. But years have passed, and I realize how very simple it is.:)

Need: You NEED the item for your class. It will improve your stats in relation to the items you currently have equipped. Need if an item will provide an upgrade for you. Otherwise...

Greed: The item is nice, but not a huge improvement.

Pass: The item is useless to you. Players should also pass on items useless to their class.

Ultimately, though, I urge people to remember that this is a game. It's frustrating when people Ninja loot, or accidentally roll Need, I agree. But I also keep in mind that these are virtual items, likely to drop again, and having (or not having them) will not affect me irl.:)

Pick NEED if your a:

Bounty Hunter and the loot's primary statistic is Aim

Imperial Agent and the loot's primary statistic is Cunning

Sith Warrior and the loot's primary statistic is Strength

Inquisitor and the loot's primary statistic is Willpower

Jedi Consular and the loot's primary statistic is Willpower

Jedi Knight and the loot's primary statistic is Strength

Smuggler and the loot's primary statistic is Cunning

Trooper and the loot's primary statistic is Aim

Pick GREED/PASS if the loot's primary stat is something else. If your new to MMOs you should know that you can be kicked out of PUGs if select NEED when it should have been GREED. Very bad if it's a BOP item.

NOTE: These rules are distilled to it's most simplest form for newer players. More advanced players will understand the gray areas and exceptions.

Credit goes to swtor-spy: http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/character-statistics-in-swtor-and-what-they-mean/120/

Edited by riny

If you roll need, and everyone else rolls greed, need takes priority everytime, even if your need roll was a 1 and someone else's greed roll was 1343.

Oh, so that's why I kept getting all the loot in beta! Wow, I bet some people were pissed at me...

Hehe... I'm glad someone asked, I have been wondering about that. I thought that if you picked need the loot would go to whoever needed it, and greed was to keep the loot. Now I feel kinda bad...

Seriously, I know I'm holding a giant newb banner right now, but that made more sense to me too. I thought I was being a nice guy!

Edited by MeditateOnThis

Everyone makes mistakes when they're new, my first MMO (Star Wars Galaxies) I stayed in Mos Eisley for months (I was an Artisan so no real need to leave) I wasn't even sure there was anything else out there! Eventually I realised there were other towns and cities and started taking shuttles to them but I never left a city for probably 6 months for fear of something big killing me.

If you roll need, and everyone else rolls greed, need takes priority everytime, even if your need roll was a 1 and someone else's greed roll was 1343.

Oh, so that's why I kept getting all the loot in beta! Wow, I bet some people were pissed at me...

Seriously, I know I'm holding a giant newb banner right now, but that made more sense to me too. I thought I was being a nice guy!

Personally, I still think Need is rollable for Companions in this game.. They are an integral part of your power output, and therefore you NEED to put them in good gear..

But I know I'm quite alone on this..

Thats ok with friends, but you'll get pushback in PUGs. It will just escalate where everyone rolls NEED all the time.

Pick need if you it's a piece you're going to wear right on the spot. Not your companion, not your guild friend; just you, yourself, and no one else. Also, it's something you're going to literally win and put on right on the spot, not 2 levels later.

Pick greed if you intend to sell the item and make some cash off of it.

There are no consiquences for picking need when you don't need an item aside from people getting pissed off at you and just chosing not to game with you anymore or possibly just kick you out of the team. However, if it were up to the majority, death monkeys would jump through your window, stab you fifty-seven times, then proceed to find your lineage and destroy them.

This.

Although, I know there are folk who sincerely believe just as deeply that, since we're all playing and we're all paying, that they could and should do as they like.

I just disagree with them. :)

So, I have to admit, I stand with the death monkey wishing folk who are happy to let those who actually NEED, get... and let the dice determine who gets lucky on greed and reverse-engineering.

Personally, I still think Need is rollable for Companions in this game.. They are an integral part of your power output, and therefore you NEED to put them in good gear..

I agree on this. But I do it only if nobody in the group need it as a class item, and if it's blue or more I ask if it's ok to roll need on it.

I guess what this thread shows most of all, is that we all should communicate in the earlier weeks or months of this game.

A Star Wars and/or Bioware MMO will bring players to MMOs that have never been in one. And they will not know all the things that are normal and logical to all of us. Heck, latecomers to WoW might think that they can click NEED whenever it is available as that game stops you from choosing NEED when you can't use it these days.

Just, at the start of a group, be clear and communicate. I know I intend to go through the loot expectations at the start of all of my runs for the first weeks at least.

That is a good reason and I can see the logic behind this. However since everyone of us will have multiple companions of different uses (tanky companions, healers, DPS...) Im afraid it would cause ppl to select NEED for everything. Simply because all our healer companions need heal gear... the person who really plays healer will have a very small chance of actually getting the gear.

It would be safer to ask the group before starting some quests or flashpoint.

Explain in DETAIL the Need/Greed system of loot distribution. What are the consequences of each choice? What about "Reverse Engineering"? What are some alternatives to Need/Greed that are available?

Simply if you do not want a item pass, if you do want it need. If your silly enough to not know 90% of the online players never come to forums.. so even coming to an agreement here will only reduce your chance of being ninja'd by 10% tops.

Just need or pass till swtor gets a class based item structured rolls in place. Prolly after losing 500,000 members to being ninjad i reckon they will act on it.. Its EA too though so dont count on it, they usualy ignore the customers. Lets hope bioware keep them in place.