An Update on the Summer of SWTOR

BruceMaclean

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

August 6th is still our target date for Game Update 2.3. *Watch for lots more details on the features below in upcoming blogs, mailers, and community meet and greets!* Some of the bigger parts of this update are:

New Flashpoints

New Daily Area

Game-wide color vibrancy improvement

New Recurring Event: Bounty Contract Week

So english ist not my first language. What does that mean? I mean new color palettes are not graphical improvements as they are part of the art style and help making the world feel consistent and real.

So is this a phrase for something else or does it really mean that colors are adjusted in some way?

I appreciate the update on what they are working on but I dont see anything that says yay. Pvp update built around ranked. Yea thats really going to help the game. More fps and dailies yea lets follow the path of wow even more. A bounty week, umm the reason why bhs want bounties is to hunt people, not npcs. I saw nothing in that list that will help open up the star wars universe. So what I am seeing here is please watch another year go by, well we add nothing great to the game.

Devs I know you got a job to do but if you keep following wows example, eventually your going to loose your star wars fan base here, and eventually the game will die. Wow has four REAL FULL expansions plus several years on you, you can not compete with that in the mmo market. The only hope this game has is to focus on the ip, not some strange weirdness like the cathar. I find that one just funny as all get out everyone jumped on board saying how great it would be funny thing is I see maybe one or two player cathars at most. Stick to what made star wars great.

I appreciate the update on what they are working on but I dont see anything that says yay. Pvp update built around ranked. Yea thats really going to help the game. More fps and dailies yea lets follow the path of wow even more. A bounty week, umm the reason why bhs want bounties is to hunt people, not npcs. I saw nothing in that list that will help open up the star wars universe. So what I am seeing here is please watch another year go by, well we add nothing great to the game.

Devs I know you got a job to do but if you keep following wows example, eventually your going to loose your star wars fan base here, and eventually the game will die. Wow has four REAL FULL expansions plus several years on you, you can not compete with that in the mmo market. The only hope this game has is to focus on the ip, not some strange weirdness like the cathar. I find that one just funny as all get out everyone jumped on board saying how great it would be funny thing is I see maybe one or two player cathars at most. Stick to what made star wars great.

1.) Cathar are part of the IP. I'm surprised you've seen one or two. I've seen dozens on at a time, and significantly more since they were released. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it shouldn't be ingame.

2.) They are adding things the playerbase wants. If you are looking for a sandbox, quit this game and go play a sandbox. This will never be SWG.

3.) "Nothing great" ? Really? I disagree. See how wonderful it is for the Devs to try and please the majority of people? Nevermind pleasing everyone -- as that is impossible -- but if they please the majority, I say keep doing it.

They did. It was reported that it was said the there would be no more open-world PVP areas.

And, frankly, that's something we shouldn't be too sad about. Open PvP is very hard to get right (IMO DAoC is so far still the only "traditional" MMO to get it at least somewhat right), and the risk of failure is huge; so instead of focusing on something that might well turn out to be a fool's errant, I'd rather see BW work on the warzone system and the focused "incidental" PvP areas like the one on Ilum during the event.

I was tickled by the original idea of great, big graphics improvement, but the term "vibrancy improvement" makes my eyes itch. Please tell me it's not going to be a bloomy candyland with oversaturated colours. I was rather hoping for a touch-up like finally fixing the grass textures and some other ugly tiling stuff (nagnagnag!), improving AA, that kind of thing.

Would be nice to have a developer/artist blog teaser on that sometime soonish, like the one about the foliage shader improvements, with a few before/after shots :)

My thoughts exactly. This description makes it sound like there will be added bloom, which I hope isn't the case. I would really like some texture improvements, or AA improvements, like you said.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to post future plans for the game... Was a genius. The whole secrecy thing always annoyed me. People are going to whine and complain if a patch is released on time or five minutes late. The rest of us really enjoy seeing what's coming and personally it helps me keep my sub. Can't wait for 2.4!

If this are gets arenas and does it right I will be subbing for a long time. I hope there is 2v2.

Edited by Elboc

And, frankly, that's something we shouldn't be too sad about. Open PvP is very hard to get right (IMO DAoC is so far still the only "traditional" MMO to get it at least somewhat right), and the risk of failure is huge; so instead of focusing on something that might well turn out to be a fool's errant, I'd rather see BW work on the warzone system and the focused "incidental" PvP areas like the one on Ilum during the event.

I am not sad. PVPers can flag and PVP anywhere. I am tired of PVE quests running into zones like the Outlaw's Den. I am glad PVP folks are getting new warzones though.

Hello everyone!

Here is a fresh update on where we are at in terms of hitting our schedules for the Summer of SWTOR, and a recap of all the exciting things we have in the works for the months ahead. All of the below dates are the dates the teams are shooting for. As you saw with Game Update 2.2 which had to be moved back by one day, it’s entirely possible these will move!

Double XP Weekends! We’d like to help you stay cool in the heat of the summer with three sessions of double XP, beginning with this weekend:

Double XP Weekend 1:

• Start: June 21st @6pm GMT
  • End: June 24th @7am GMT

Double XP Weekend 2:

• Start: June 28th @6pm GMT
  • End: July 1st @7am GMT

Double XP Weekend 3:

• Start: July 4th @11am GMT
  • End: July 8th @7am GMT

On July 9th we will launch Nightmare Mode Scum and Villainy as a part of Game Update 2.2.2! This Nightmare Mode Operation is currently up on Public Test Server!

On July 23rd look for a return of the Relics of the Gree Event for a nice two week long run:

• Per community request the event will scale up to level 55 on this next run, including better loot rewards, commendations, and achievements
  • Possible drops include a new Sphere Transport Enclosure vehicle

August 6th is still our target date for Game Update 2.3. *Watch for lots more details on the features below in upcoming blogs, mailers, and community meet and greets!* Some of the bigger parts of this update are:

• New Flashpoints
  • New Daily Area
  • Game-wide color vibrancy improvement
  • New Recurring Event: Bounty Contract Week

Even though it’s part of Game Update 2.3 we are planning to start the Bounty Contract Week on August 13th. Bounty Contract Week is a monthly event, so if you miss it the first time, don’t worry – it will return next month! The event above was actually teased in our Community Meet & Greet last week and we’ll be sharing more details soon. Here is a snippet for now:

Bounty Contract Week provides new missions with full voice-over that will take you on a hunt for high-value bounty targets across the galaxy. Each bounty contract scales to your level, from 15 to 55, providing experience, credits, Commendations, and Reputation with the Bounty Brokers Association.

Game Update 2.4 is also in the pipe and being worked on for an October release. Even though our mantra is smaller more frequent patches this particular update is shaping up to be very big, with tons of new content and big PvP updates especially targeting Ranked play. We’ll start sharing details next month. If you absolutely *have* to glimpse the potential future, enter a Force trance and focus on these key phrases. Oricon. Warzone Arenas. Dread Masters.

This isn’t an exhaustive list, and we are also working on some longer term stuff. As we get closer we’ll have a lot more juicy details on what’s above. Keep your eyes peeled to the forums and SWTOR.com for more information!

It's wonderful that you are finally posting plans now and how communication has improved. There is still some way to go, but it's much better than what it was before. At least now we can see where we are at.

But Bruce, why aren't chat bubbles mentioned anywhere in these plans?

It truly is high time that you finally add them! We've been promised this essential feature over for launch and then "shortly after launch" and then "soon" over again, yet you can't even give us a target patch for them? Are they still coming? What's the deal with them? Can't you simply re-enable the chat bubbles option we had in beta (like you re-enabled dynamic shadows and other things from beta in the past) so people that want to use it can? Sure it wasn't ideal, but it's still much, much better than having nothing until you find the time to implement them more elaborately (if you're even willing or capable enough to make that happen...I somehow doubt it due to your history)!

It's highly frustrating and often quite infuriating to see that all Bioware cares about are PVEers and PVPers (which is alright, but all playstyles should be supported equally, not just those two groups!) and not the people that made them (Bioware) - the roleplayers and the people that are the staple, heart and soul of any MMORPG - the socializers and anything good coming for roleplayers and socializers so far has come only because you could rip them off with cartel coin payments (appearance designer kiosk that can only be used by paying cartel coins even as loyal subscriber, apparel, chairs - that one can only sit on for 15 seconds which is a travesty all by itself - and other things that require real-money gambling via cartel market boxes just to name a few).

Edited by Glzmo

Whoever thought it was a good idea to post future plans for the game... Was a genius. The whole secrecy thing always annoyed me. People are going to whine and complain if a patch is released on time or five minutes late. The rest of us really enjoy seeing what's coming and personally it helps me keep my sub. Can't wait for 2.4!

If this are gets arenas and does it right I will be subbing for a long time. I hope there is 2v2.

I absolutely agree!!! While I know it may turn off some people hoping for X when all they talk about is Y, I'd much rather have an idea of what IS coming. I completely appreciate Bruce stepping outside of their comfort zone with this info today.

• Dev Post
I was tickled by the original idea of great, big graphics improvement, but the term "vibrancy improvement" makes my eyes itch. Please tell me it's not going to be a bloomy candyland with oversaturated colours. I was rather hoping for a touch-up like finally fixing the grass textures and some other ugly tiling stuff (nagnagnag!), improving AA, that kind of thing.

Would be nice to have a developer/artist blog teaser on that sometime soonish, like the one about the foliage shader improvements, with a few before/after shots :)

Actually, we already have bloom in the game, we just keep it pretty subtle. Don't worry, the art style remains intact! I'm sure there will be some additional info coming before 2.3 about these improvements. I'm really excited about them. We're always trying to give our artists more tools for making great stuff for you.

I'm gonna take a while guess and say cause it's not in any of the patches they talked about there.

You should do stand-up.

I did stand up. I did it too fast and got a head rush thingy and got all dizzy. So, I sat back down.

I'm gonna take a while guess and say cause it's not in any of the patches they talked about there.

You should do stand-up.

Arlon, was this type of reply really warranted? Attacking a player for asking why something they would like is never good. Glzmo has every right to ask without a snarky reply by you. It may not be important to you at all, but it obviously matters to him, and because of that, I hope they are added.

Oricon

Oricon

Astrographical

Region

Outer Rim Territories[1]

Sector

A

Corva sector[1]

System

Oricon system[1]

Grid coordinates

P-3[1]

Physical

Points of interest

Darth Vitus's compound

Oricon was a moon in the Outer Rim Territories.

History

An insignificant world, it was once home to Darth Vitus, before its location was lost to the wider galaxy. Vitus experimented with Sith alchemy on the world, creating monsters strong with the dark side. During the age of the Great Sith War, a group of Sith tracked the world down from clues in a holocron, eventually leading them to Darth Vitus's compound.

This could be very very interesting...

Oh yes more darkside monsters and hopefully sith Lords to teach a lesson with my lightsabers :-D

Hello everyone!

Here is a fresh update on where we are at in terms of hitting our schedules for the Summer of SWTOR, and a recap of all the exciting things we have in the works for the months ahead. All of the below dates are the dates the teams are shooting for. As you saw with Game Update 2.2 which had to be moved back by one day, it’s entirely possible these will move!

Double XP Weekends! We’d like to help you stay cool in the heat of the summer with three sessions of double XP, beginning with this weekend:

Double XP Weekend 1:

• Start: June 21st @6pm GMT
  • End: June 24th @7am GMT

Double XP Weekend 2:

• Start: June 28th @6pm GMT
  • End: July 1st @7am GMT

Double XP Weekend 3:

• Start: July 4th @11am GMT
  • End: July 8th @7am GMT

On July 9th we will launch Nightmare Mode Scum and Villainy as a part of Game Update 2.2.2! This Nightmare Mode Operation is currently up on Public Test Server!

On July 23rd look for a return of the Relics of the Gree Event for a nice two week long run:

• Per community request the event will scale up to level 55 on this next run, including better loot rewards, commendations, and achievements
  • Possible drops include a new Sphere Transport Enclosure vehicle

• New Flashpoints
  • New Daily Area
  • Game-wide color vibrancy improvement
  • New Recurring Event: Bounty Contract Week

Even though it’s part of Game Update 2.3 we are planning to start the Bounty Contract Week on August 13th. Bounty Contract Week is a monthly event, so if you miss it the first time, don’t worry – it will return next month! The event above was actually teased in our Community Meet & Greet last week and we’ll be sharing more details soon. Here is a snippet for now:

Bounty Contract Week provides new missions with full voice-over that will take you on a hunt for high-value bounty targets across the galaxy. Each bounty contract scales to your level, from 15 to 55, providing experience, credits, Commendations, and Reputation with the Bounty Brokers Association.

Game Update 2.4 is also in the pipe and being worked on for an October release. Even though our mantra is smaller more frequent patches this particular update is shaping up to be very big, with tons of new content and big PvP updates especially targeting Ranked play. We’ll start sharing details next month. If you absolutely *have* to glimpse the potential future, enter a Force trance and focus on these key phrases. Oricon. Warzone Arenas. Dread Masters.

This isn’t an exhaustive list, and we are also working on some longer term stuff. As we get closer we’ll have a lot more juicy details on what’s above. Keep your eyes peeled to the forums and SWTOR.com for more information!

Sounds very very interesting all this :-D

Really looking forward to the bounty event.

Had been very funny if you could sign yourself up as bounty and ppl had to find you somewhere in the galaxy and kill you :-D

Arlon, was this type of reply really warranted? Attacking a player for asking why something they would like is never good. Glzmo has every right to ask without a snarky reply by you. It may not be important to you at all, but it obviously matters to him, and because of that, I hope they are added.

as long as no one's breaking the rules, everyone has the right to post anything they want.

Glzmo has the right to pay $15/mo for the seemingly sole purpose of posting about chat bubbles in every thread with yellow text, and Arlon does indeed have the right to reply in snarky fashion. you have the right to defend him.

i have the right to make this post, and we all have the right to post really anything we want on the forums as long as it's done in a non-rule-breaking fashion.

I'm not opposed to them being added nor do I have any ill will towards him.

A. Most of my posts are snarky, sarcastic, or tongue and cheek. It's my personality. I talk this way to my mother (got smacked a lot for it too).

B. The first line was just an honest answer to his question. There was no mention of it cause it's likely not there. I never said it shouldn't be or good or anything like that. I would have said the same thing to Alec if he asked about hood toggles or someone asking about Legacy/Account wide datacrons and those are both things I do care about it. If everyone asked why no mention of *insert my highest wishlist item* then the whole thread would be a large non-sequitor of people writing to santa.

C. This was at least the 2nd if not 3rd time he's replied asking about this in threads not talking about it. He should start his own thread asking the question rather than clutter non-related.

New Event Awesome! My only questions is: Will the Gree event still be recurring? Or will it be replaced by the Bounty Hunter event? (Need time to get my Blue Sphere mount!)

Hey LegoUniverseBC,

Never fear - The Relics of the Gree Event will still be recurring! You will have a chance to get your Blue Sphere Vehicle.

All sounds great! Looking forward to 2.3 and 2.4! Except for this part :/

Game-wide color vibrancy improvement
Could devs clarify? I mean, we can adjust color saturation ourselves lol. What happened to graphical update? Any chance for engine performance enhancement? :( Edited by Pietrastor