RP'ers Should be Accommodated

RobertFKennedyUS

Or instead of having to refer to a list of 19 slash commands just to play the game the way they want to, give them their RP instance already.

One that anyone can join? How is that any different than just being in one of the other two instances exactly? You still have the same Fleet chat or the same planet chat...so what does this accomplish exactly?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or instead of having to refer to a list of 19 slash commands just to play the game the way they want to, give them their RP instance already.

I think you might mean own RP channel as well because you can still see gen chat even if you are in the pvp instance.

In which case, all you need to do is set up your own custom chat channel and you don’t need either 😉

Edited by Totemdancer

I am not a role player. However it is my concern that those who are will drop the game all together.

All RP servers (at the very least North American ones) should be merged with Ebon Hawk. PVP instances have shown dedicated server instances are not utilized.

As someone who started out on Shadowlands and still has a main there - griefing will occur. The only reason why Shadowlands and Jedi Covenant are described as "chill" by others is due to their populations declining as Galactic Command wore on.

There is enough population to have a mega-East Coast PVE server and a mega-RP Server for both coasts (Ebon Hawk already hosts APAC role players).

Since Ebon Hawk is near Harbinger-size, many non-RP'ers make their home there due to the server's population size. East Coast players who migrated to Harbinger and Ebon Hawk will migrate to the East Coast Mega Server.

In closing there should be three servers for America:

East Coast Mega Server

West Coast Mega Server

RP Mega Server for East and West Coasts.

Edited by jimmorrisson

enhanced ignoring and squelching options on that instance.

Can you elaborate on your request here? People have requested account ignore, etc. for years and it hasn't happened. And do you think it's feasible to have different ignore rules based on instance?

I think you're better off asking for any bugs to be fixed with custom chat channels like TUXs pointed out.

Seems like there should simply be an official RP channel, like there's an official pvp and trade channel. Set it "off" as a default so people have to opt in. Yes, trolls with nothing better to do may join. Griefing is likely to occur but there are processes to dealing with that. Hopefully Bioware will wield an enormous Ban Hammer and trolls will get the idea.

Something that has been happening more and more in these forums that may not be reflected in actual game data is the pervasive idea that people are one type of player or another. PVPers vs. PVEers vs People Who Like Story or People Who Romance or RPers, casual vs elite player. While we divide and group in forum talk, I would bet the game data shows a lot more crossover.

One of the perks of the servers merge is to connect all these things, because a) most players participate in a variety of activities or b) devs want to encourage players to participate in a variety of activities.

There are people who moved from BC to Harbinger for the population in order to get better queue times. It's not that they aren't RPers - it's that they also like PVE and queues slow down as population declines, so they prioritized.

These kinds of people will likely be delighted to once again have an opportunity to mingle and dust off their RP. So immediately segregating "RPers" into a separate instance might not be the best idea for the health of the game.

At least, try for a couple weeks before anticipating problems that might not happen to the degree everyone fears.

Okay, no I don't think we should be more accommodated than anyone else. Second, general has always been frowned upon when used for roleplay due to the fact that is where people look for groups or looking for help.

Do I think something should be done to help possibly with some of the trolls, especially if you may be going to Harbinger, where roleplay might not be so well received, yes I do.

As for as Ebon Hawk and those coming into Ebon Hawk (soon to be Star Forge) I don't forsee any problems as between the other servers Ebon Hawk is most likely the larger of them all and from visiting the other two, Shadowlands and Jedi Covenant I dont see a problem. Like I said once the only one that gives me some pause is the pvp server but it is small enough that I can see most people shutting the possible trolls down.

Do I think a rp instance is necessary? That depends on the server. For Harbinger (Satela Shan) maybe it would be a good idea. For Star Forge I don't see it really necessary.

I love my roleplay but I think some of us are jumping the gun a bit and wanting more accommodations just because we are roleplayers and I can't see why we need that.

Sure there are some very vocal anti-roleplayers on some servers but this request for bw to be more accommodating to us roleplayers is just going to create more problems. It should be monitored that I agree and if a server is being a jerk to roleplayers then they should already have a plan in the works for that. Also monitor what is going on and if a person/persons is really being a jerk toward a roleplayer or roleplayers over and over then sanctions should be applied but lets not look for trouble when we don't even really know that it will happen.

Yes I been through the type of behavior before so yea it can happen but I am willing to wait and see how things play out. Call me trusting, naivee or whatever but I would rather believe most people are fairly decent.

Okay, no I don't think we should be more accommodated than anyone else. Second, general has always been frowned upon when used for roleplay due to the fact that is where people look for groups or looking for help.

Do I think something should be done to help possibly with some of the trolls, especially if you may be going to Harbinger, where roleplay might not be so well received, yes I do.

As for as Ebon Hawk and those coming into Ebon Hawk (soon to be Star Forge) I don't forsee any problems as between the other servers Ebon Hawk is most likely the larger of them all and from visiting the other two, Shadowlands and Jedi Covenant I dont see a problem. Like I said once the only one that gives me some pause is the pvp server but it is small enough that I can see most people shutting the possible trolls down.

Do I think a rp instance is necessary? That depends on the server. For Harbinger (Satela Shan) maybe it would be a good idea. For Star Forge I don't see it really necessary.

I love my roleplay but I think some of us are jumping the gun a bit and wanting more accommodations just because we are roleplayers and I can't see why we need that.

Sure there are some very vocal anti-roleplayers on some servers but this request for bw to be more accommodating to us roleplayers is just going to create more problems. It should be monitored that I agree and if a server is being a jerk to roleplayers then they should already have a plan in the works for that. Also monitor what is going on and if a person/persons is really being a jerk toward a roleplayer or roleplayers over and over then sanctions should be applied but lets not look for trouble when we don't even really know that it will happen.

Yes I been through the type of behavior before so yea it can happen but I am willing to wait and see how things play out. Call me trusting, naivee or whatever but I would rather believe most people are fairly decent.

+1

Well written Casi

Can you elaborate on your request here? People have requested account ignore, etc. for years and it hasn't happened. And do you think it's feasible to have different ignore rules based on instance?

I think you're better off asking for any bugs to be fixed with custom chat channels like TUXs pointed out.

An account ignore would be awesome, but like you said, people have been asking for years. I’m not sure they’ll get around to it for 5.6

Do people roleplay in flashpoints? During DvL I tried to once as I was levelling on the progenitor. They told me to stop talking and just do the instance! I was trying to blend in.:mad:

And no, I wasn't making fun of anyone. I just thought this was what people did there.:p

Maybe I was just bad at it.😂

Do people roleplay in flashpoints? During DvL I tried to once as I was levelling on the progenitor. They told me to stop talking and just do the instance! I was trying to blend in.:mad:

And no, I wasn't making fun of anyone. I just thought this was what people did there.:p

I have a bit of a feeling you're just being facetious here, but in the case that someone actually did have this question, I feel it's worth replying that no, nobody does that unless it's a group of roleplayers who decided to make their way through the content IC- which can be fun, but I digress.

People have a lot of misconceptions about what it's like to be in an RP community- the truth is, it's exactly like any other game community, with the exception that you might see some people engaging in mutual storytelling from time to time as you go through the open world or walk past a cantina. That's very literally the only noticable difference.

You aren't required to RP, you aren't required to have a character, you aren't required to be in-character in general chat. The only thing a non-roleplayer should do is not go out of their way to disrupt roleplay in the open world.. Which is not difficult at all- if you're just an average player with no intention of trying to make others unhappy in the game, you should have no issue with roleplayers and they should have no issue with you. People who are just playing the game how they like to play will have no problem with the merging.

Edited by SourOrange

You need to form your own group. Trying to RP with random groups is too hard.

I have a bit of a feeling you're just being facetious here, but in the case that someone actually did have this question, I feel it's worth replying that no, nobody does that unless it's a group of roleplayers who decided to make their way through the content IC- which can be fun, but I digress.

People have a lot of misconceptions about what it's like to be in an RP community- the truth is, it's exactly like any other game community, with the exception that you might see some people engaging in mutual storytelling from time to time as you go through the open world or walk past a cantina. That's very literally the only noticable difference.

This was a serious question, I wasn't exactly familiar with roleplay and I'm not today either. I just thought this is what people did amongst other things.

I'm sure there are a ton of misconceptions about roleplay. Now I'm not gonna lie and say I'm truly interested in it, but I was there and I thought I'd give it a go. It didn't work out, so I never tried again. Considering it wasn't something that really appealed to me from the start, I didn't exactly tried to inform myself about everything RP. I just thought there was an opportunity. :)

This was a serious question, I wasn't exactly familiar with roleplay and I'm not today either. I just thought this is what people did amongst other things.

I'm sure there are a ton of misconceptions about roleplay. Now I'm not gonna lie and say I'm truly interested in it, but I was there and I thought I'd give it a go. It didn't work out, so I never tried again. Considering it wasn't something that really appealed to me from the start, I didn't exactly tried to inform myself about everything RP. I just thought there was an opportunity. :)

Well then I'm glad to answer your question and I'd be glad to answer any other questions people have in order to help everyone be educated and feel as comfortable as possible with how things will work in the days ahead :)

Nobody roleplays in general chat. The only time you see any RP in general is if someone made a mistake and posted to the wrong channel.

That's actually not true. I have seen role play in general chat on Ebon Hawk and it wasn't an accident.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

Depends on the group. If it is a group of roleplayers, then yea they can but if it just a couple of roleplayers and couple non-roleplayers the roleplayers for the most part will not roleplay because of the non roleplayers in the group in case the non roleplayers are in a hurry to finish the flashpoint. Roleplayers on a whole are a bit more respective to other groups.

Hey, I used to do same thing on Progenitor some 2 or 3 years ago. In FP and in Heroics. Mostly worked.

I mean I just stayed IC and commented some things IC. Mostly people kinda joined in with their comments.

If I got a group that just silently speed ran the FP, and/or told me to shut up, I usually left the group. No fun for me with them, and no fun for them with me :)

they rp on /say on gen chat. That way you can "hear" it only if u're near.

Full gen chat message is for everyone regadless of where they're at

* Edited

You might be right, but that still doesn't change that it's susceptible to trolling.

Edited by RobertFKennedyUS

And not even an RPer at that 😡

Gives us a bad name because of a crusade that doesn’t even affect them or that they really understand. These attacks on you are getting ridiculous.

Let’s hope they stop soon.

Not only is he not even an RPer, he keeps asserting that people all RP in General chat! Ignorant nonsense! He doesn't know the first thing about how RP in TOR works, and he wants to try to lecture other people on how it should be accommodated? :rolleyes:

Edited by AscendingSky