Sage Tank threat!

Aital

Sage Tank starting point

Has anyone ever actually tried to produce a sage tank. 8)

I'm curious if there is any way to manufacture one? I'm proposing something like the above or heals without the -15% threat reduction to try to produce enough threat/survivability to make it as a sage tank. Any ideas? How far could a sage tank go. anyone think they could make it to ops potentially. With another healer they could definitely survive I would imagine but can they produce enough threat! Any idea what type of threat they could produce?

Edit: BTW there is one error on MR. Robot's site. Sage Defense is 10% base not 5%. So the defense in this example is actually 33.33% or 1/3! 8)

You would use self healing from the balance tree but also use a lot of self heals from your normal heals to generate threat from benevolence and deliverance. I wonder how much HPS you could produce on yourself. And the alacrity and force regen would be used to use heals more for more threat along with damage from Telekinetic throw and your DOTs.

Edited by Aital

I know of certain bubblestun pvp sorcs that run with high endurance, they only exist to put bubbles on teammates which are then used offensively / defensively.

The do not cast heals or do dps, they only bubble and run.

Taking this seriously for a moment here, you'd be screwed on any bosses with a high amount of Force/Tech attacks, as your damage reduction will be half that of a shadow, already the weakest tank against those types of attacks. You'd also lack any sort of true defensive cooldowns, meaning you've got nothing for "oh ****" situations. And without a taunt, you cannot perform any sort of a tank swap and will have huge issues with bosses that drop aggro.

All that being said... I bet geared this way, you could probably tank HM EV. You'd have to force your DPS to give you a 10 second headstart to make sure you maintain aggro tho. Actually... Annhilator droid has a threat drop, I forgot, so yeah, maybe not.

You could do most of the hard mode flashpoints tho.

There is absolutely now way you would be able to hold threat. First of all Sage DPS is already pretty weak in fully geared for DPS builds and you would lose threat to any Sentinels, Vanguards, Commandos, Slingers or Shadows. With the stats you are proposing you would do so little damage that you would lose threat to Scoundrels and Guardians as well. Using heals as threat generation makes no sense they generate half the threat of an attack and over-healing generates no threat. Even if the DPS use threat drops on cd (Vanguards do not have any) and give you a head start I doubt you would be able to tank anything in Operations.

Survivability, well first of all half that Defence rating, it is so much into DR it is useless, can probably get something like 800. Get crit instead so you even generate some self healing. But you are ****ed anyway since you have rubbish Damage reduction. Other than that you have a 20s bubble which in your case will be rubbish due to your low WP and Power (have the healer bubble you instead) and a 30s Force Mend which will also be ******. All that extra HP won't do you much good.

Would possibly be able to tank HM FP if the other DPS go easy on damage and use threat drops and you have a good healer. You would also be able to tank trash (most Sage healers in rubbish groups do anyway). But trying this in OPs is pointless but hey, can try it.

Taking this seriously for a moment here, you'd be screwed on any bosses with a high amount of Force/Tech attacks, as your damage reduction will be half that of a shadow, already the weakest tank against those types of attacks. You'd also lack any sort of true defensive cooldowns, meaning you've got nothing for "oh ****" situations. And without a taunt, you cannot perform any sort of a tank swap and will have huge issues with bosses that drop aggro.

All that being said... I bet geared this way, you could probably tank HM EV. You'd have to force your DPS to give you a 10 second headstart to make sure you maintain aggro tho. Actually... Annhilator droid has a threat drop, I forgot, so yeah, maybe not.

You could do most of the hard mode flashpoints tho.

Err... this isa bit off subject.

But man what game you playing? Shadowtanks have the best mitigation of force/tech attacks of the three tanking classes. If you are kinetic damage, than yes the shadow is weaker. But over all because of the self healing abilities shadow has greater surviavability than jedi guardian.

Err... this isa bit off subject.

But man what game you playing? Shadowtanks have the best mitigation of force/tech attacks of the three tanking classes. If you are kinetic damage, than yes the shadow is weaker. But over all because of the self healing abilities shadow has greater surviavability than jedi guardian.

Shadows actually have weaker mitigation for Force/Tech attacks than Guardians and Vanguards, assuming they aren't Internal or Elemental damage. Only then do Shadows get a leg up. I should have clarified I meant Kinetic/Energy coming from Force/Tech attacks. This means the attack can't be shielded or defended (one of the Shadow tanks strengths) but is affected by all of your damage reduction including armor (Shadow tank weakness).

There's a difference between attack type (Force, Tech, Melee, Range) and damage type (Kinetic, Energy, Internal, Elemental). The first decides how defense and shield interact (only Melee and Range are affected by these, Resistance applies to Force/Tech), the second decides how your damage reduction and armor interact (Kinetic and Energy respect all forms of damage reduction, Internal and Elemental ignore DR from armor).

Internal and Elemental will only ever come from Force and Tech attacks, but that said, the majority of Force and Tech attacks are still classified as Kinetic and Energy damage.

Edited by wadecounty

Shadows actually have weaker mitigation for Force/Tech attacks than Guardians and Vanguards, assuming they aren't Internal or Elemental damage. Only then do Shadows get a leg up. I should have clarified I meant Kinetic/Energy coming from Force/Tech attacks. This means the attack can't be shielded or defended (one of the Shadow tanks strengths) but is affected by all of your damage reduction including armor (Shadow tank weakness).

If you want to get purely technical, this only applies to *consistent* K/E damage from F/T attacks. Resilience actually allows a Shadow tank to ignore all F/T attacks for 5 seconds every 60 seconds, at worst (like when you're tanking Stormcaller and don't have any attacks to dodge/parry/block to reduce your Resilience CD with). If it's bursty damage, a Shadow is going to be the best tank you can have. It's only when it's consistent (Stormcaller, Kephess the Undying, Soa, Jarg, Zorn) that Shadows suffer (and it's not as bad as most people think because self-healing applies to *all* types of damage).

• 2 weeks later...