Is Noxxic really that bad ?

sdjonsson

There seem to be a generel idea in the community that noxxic is bad.

I would like to ask, is it really that bad, and if so, what would you recommend instead.

Is it ALL noxxic that is bad ? Both talent builds, stat priority and rotations.

Please help a helpless soul :)

My guild doesn't like Noxxic, it's a good place to get a starting feel for Stat priorities, builds, and rotations, but experience trumps Noxxic. When I got my Gunslinger to 55, I asked my guilds top 2 slingers for help, both of which just learned the class by experience, not Noxxic. I would ask people in your guild if you can.

In response to this thread, I link you, THE PYRO POWERTECH GUIDE BY NOXXIC!

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/bounty-hunter/powertech/pyrotech/stat-priority

Things they got right:

A Pyrotech PT wants 25% crit rate in Full Dread Forged (though less than dread forged you want less)

Um...

Things they got wrong:

LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE

Their spec is 5/5/36, ignoring the important +3% crit talent for +3% RS damage, and ignoring automated defenses for Sweltering Heat (***), and then telling you that Thermal Detonator is a MUST HAVE skill, then telling you to avoid using it like the plague, and saying both flamethrower and DFA are better uses of your time (which they definately aren't).

There are other examples of poorly written guides, but thats the main one that truly made me facepalm at their sight.

SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER ALTERNATIVES:

Dulfy's class guides (WiP, some are outdated for 2.6 but its still much better than noxxic)

Anything found on the forums with people liking the posts

ect...

Edited by TACeMossie

Noxxic is gawdawful.

First off, they don't seem to update their builds. The Combat Medic Commando PvE build claims to be updated for 2.6 but still puts 2 points in Frontline Medic instead of Kolto Wave. (I'd also recommend taking 1 point out of First Responder and putting it into Efficient Conversions.) The Balance Shadow PvE build is messed up worse than the spec itself, leaving points out of key talents including the all-important Sever Force, as if it was hastily built a year ago and not touched since. (If you look at the Balance Shadow rotation guide, they recommend using Shadow Strike whenever Infiltration Tactics procs. Infiltration Tactics hasn't been available to the Balance spec since before 2.0 rolled in April 2013.)

Their rotation advice is overly simplistic, presenting everything as a simple priority system. The Combat Sentinel guide says you should use Zen and Precision Slash on cooldown but neglects to mention that they should be used together to fit an extra GCD into the PS window. Oddly, it also says to "[m]aintain the buff from Zen" which isn't actually possible, since you can't build Centering while Zen is active. Stealth-DPS guides mention Disappearing Act/Cloaking Screen and Force Cloak as defensive cooldowns only without mentioning the key role they play in delivering burst damage for Scrapper/Concealment and Infiltration/Deception. The Commando Combat Medic guide says to use Supercharge Cells as often as possible, neglecting the tremendous usefulness of saving it for times of burst healing. They don't understand burst in general, really.

Dulfy's guides are good overall. Use them instead.

I went to noxxic to get a basic idea on how to do a skills build. Otherwise I have just played the game my own way and learned my class build and rotations and everything my own way. 2 months ago when I was in full 69/72 gear that I had been in since the expansion and got kicked from hm czerka core meltdown for "having my stats wrong and being under geared" and was then told to go to noxxic. that pissed me off. yes my skills build was kind of on the bad side. I was still running hm fps since 2.0 and rarely having wipes. But being told to go noxxic after having played for a year is something I don't want to be told especially when Im geared right and have never had a problem.

Noxxic makes me cry, the number of PVE talent trees that take PVP skills and vice versa. Their stat reccomendations have remained the same 25% crit and 70% surge since 2.0 came out. They are only reasonable now because at dread forged level gear, those numbers are actually attainable without loosing out on your power, accuracy, and alacrity(if you play a class that benefits from this). Though on a quick glance it looks like they fixed some of the specs that I remember being egregiously in error. Still, read the guides on the forums; they are the best as they have been tested and theorycrafted, you can see why someone chose one option over another rather than just being given a cookie cutter with no backup information. Edited by g_land

Noxxic makes me cry, the number of PVE talent trees that take PVP skills and vice versa.

No Newbie is able to tell what of the trees is for PvE and what for PvP - and there is - as far as I know - no guide telling Newbies that information, either.

Did you know it when you were fresh into the game ? As an level 1 or level 2, maybe ?

No Newbie is able to tell what of the trees is for PvE and what for PvP - and there is - as far as I know - no guide telling Newbies that information, either.

Did you know it when you were fresh into the game ? As an level 1 or level 2, maybe ?

Noxxic portrays itself as an endgame beginners guide provider, not as a leveling guide. The best leveling specs emphasize more aoe damage to deal with groups of mobs quickly which none of their guides do. I would hope that after having leveled their characters to 55, players would learn what helps in both aspects of the game. By the way, noxxic doesn't actually differentiate between these; just has a set talent tree for "PVE" and one for "PVP." At best it holds onto skills that you might pick up while leveling and leaves them in the talent builds rather than doing anything else, but everything else on the site holds to endgame advice. So... long story short, your objection to my statement reads more into the site than it actually provides.