TDM Is Broken...

Umbradomina

... and I won't play another until it's fixed. A GS 1-shot by a Strike? That's right... 1-shot... twice!

I realize the patch should not have caused this... but it's never happened until this afternoon. So I have no other frame of reference.

We were an out outclassed team, with no refuge. Even all the ground PVE has a refuge point.

Domination I'll play... but count all my toons out of TDM. Sorry teams.

When you say you miss "refuge point" it looks like you were one of those blasphemous wannabe-Gunships constantly running to capital ships when in danger. Sorry, I'm playing Gunship too and I've never did such thing. Good, that they get rid of death field around capitals and finally eels like you will never ever try to do such thing.

... and I won't play another until it's fixed. A GS 1-shot by a Strike? That's right... 1-shot... twice!

I realize the patch should not have caused this... but it's never happened until this afternoon. So I have no other frame of reference.

We were an out outclassed team, with no refuge. Even all the ground PVE has a refuge point.

Domination I'll play... but count all my toons out of TDM. Sorry teams.

As a Strike pilot I'm getting lined up and shot up by TDM matches with 5+ GS where you simply can't do a thing other then GS them back in kind. So I can't empathize at all with you. Sorry.

As a Strike pilot I'm getting lined up and shot up by TDM matches with 5+ GS where you simply can't do a thing other then GS them back in kind. So I can't empathize at all with you. Sorry.

I had a 8v8 match where 7 of the 8 ships were gunships on one side, and there were 5 gunships on the other. I was a strike fighter and the rest were scouts or bombers.

Makes for a dull match.

But I guess, welcome to Galactic Gunfighter.

1. Gunships are lazy. 2. The reason why you died in one shot is the damage overcharge, it has nothing to do with the patch. You were probably just lucky enough to not get targeted prior to this experience. 3. Not considering other ships for contention, especially a flashfire, which is more than capable of dodging and taking down gunships, is ridiculous. I'm so sick of playing matches where half the players are gunships just slugging around spawns waiting for people to get close. The worst part about this is that those teams almost never win. Learn to fly, and we would all benefit from this.

The OP definitely seems to be encountering the joys of the Damage Overcharge, which I admit can be very excessive, when someone capitalizes on it a lot.

In fact, this does raise the question: should Damage Overcharge be nerfed?

The reason I raise the issue is that it is becoming apparent that the absolute BEST thing to do in TDM is to spend your time zipping around the map getting the damage overcharge, and then using the upgrade to cut a swath of destruction through your enemies, and go back to hunting the power up when it wears off. And it really IS an absolutely dramatic effect, that completely shifts the balance of the fight: the side which has a power-up hunter will have a HUGE advantage over the other side.

The end result is that it is CLEAR that the best way to play TDM is to zip around the map looking for the DO, slaughtering enemies when it is obtained, and then go back to hunting the next DO power up.

The question is: is it actually a good thing to have a power up be such a game changer, that focusing solely on hunting it down is a FAR more effective tactic than actually fighting the enemy?

Overcharge should not exist at all. If I get it on my gunship I'll bag 4-5 kills before anyone can force me off. It is ridiculously overpowered, especially for gunships and burst laser scouts.

The only saving grace is that games are typically decided quick enough that they don't devolve into people hunting for them at the expense of killing things in sensor range.