Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Which Voice Suits Which Race?

Sarashay

I think I remade my female trooper twice before settling on a body type 2 for her, it just seemed odd to hear Commander Shepherd's voice coming from a tiny litle body or even something not human at al.

The Female Sith voice is odd sounding at times, especially doesn't fit a Twi'lek at all IMO.

I don't think my Sith Inquisitor's voice suits his Pureblood looks at all. He has a softly spoken, pretty dry south east English accent. Most of the other sith npc's have a very rich, arrogant aristocratic accent or slight received pronunciation. Some even sound like Simon Cowell!

As a new-ish player, I was wondering. Do all Empire classes and nps's have English accents and Repubs have American accents? What are Bioware saying here!

that "english accent" is actually not an english accent but an imperial accent. They talk about it a bit in the Rep trooper story line and the IA storyline. The sith and IA have imperial accents but the BH and republic side have republic/hutt accents.

I find my male knight most suits human. Twi'lek seems odd but I could see iridonian or the green guys whose name I always confuse with the blind guys.

also as strange as it sounds, the male sith warrior voice sounds strange coming from a human type 3. I could see it come from a sith pure blood type 3 though.

Edited by LeeC

The male SW VA definitely fits with the Pureblood more than anything else, imo. I played through with my Pureblood SW and his voice just doesn't seem right on any other race, now. lol

Solid Snake as the male Jedi Knight is perfect as either Human or Miraluka, imo. The way he delivers the Miraluka specific dialogue is outstanding.

Male IA VA fits my Chiss Sniper perfectly as well.

Male BH VA fits probably Human or Cyborg the best. My Merc is a cyborg, so that's my take on it.

Now, for some voices they miscast, Male Trooper should have been Adam Baldwin, imo. Also, Doc should have been Bruce Campbell. Then he wouldn't be so freakin' annoying all the time! :p

As a new-ish player, I was wondering. Do all Empire classes and nps's have English accents and Repubs have American accents? What are Bioware saying here!

Yes, yes they do. I really like hearing the different regional accents Empire-side. I don't notice as much variation on the Republic side. There is a character in the Bounty Hunter story with a great Texas accent, though I suppose Bounty Hunters are pretty independent.

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but it has to do with the Original Trilogy (OT). The Republic-aligned characters (Luke, Han, et al) are played by American actors while the Imperials (Grand Moff Tarkin, most of the bit parts) are played by British actors. As I understand it, this was partly a deliberate choice by Lucas and partly practical. He cast the main roles with American actors but shot the movies in England, so he filled in with local actors. Bioware stayed with this convention.

Vader gets a free pass. James Earl Jones (Vader's voice actor) is from Mississippi, but I'd listen to him read the phone book.

On-topic though, I've liked the voice acting for all the classes I've played, regardless of species. I get so used to associating the voice with my character that it only feels weird when I watch a video and hear the voice coming from someone else's character.

also as strange as it sounds, the male sith warrior voice sounds strange coming from a human type 3. I could see it come from a sith pure blood type 3 though.

I don't know, the male voice sounds perfect to me on my human type 3 warrior. I guess it depends on the look of your character but the more I play character, the more voice fits imo. Now for the female SW, the voice is definitely tailored to Sith Purebloods.

For my female Twi'lek SI, the voice definitely seems a little too heavy on the accent for a Twi'lek but I love the voice acting a lot so it doesn't bother me much.

On-topic though, I've liked the voice acting for all the classes I've played, regardless of species. I get so used to associating the voice with my character that it only feels weird when I watch a video and hear the voice coming from someone else's character.

With most of my characters, I have the same feeling. But with my Sage, I don't. I honestly have connected my Sage's voice so closely with the character that hearing another female Consular does not sound like mine at all. I know of course that it is the same lines and voice, but it does not sound like it.

It's weird, but after all my years of playing games, this is the only character I have truly felt was mine. The voice just fits absolutely perfectly with the entire appearance.

It's kind of like watching The Last Samurai. I know that Nathan Algren is Tom Cruise, I can see it, but I do not feel like I am watching Tom Cruise, I'm actually watching a completely different person. A testament to how great an actor Tom Cruise is.

Edited by ACLucius

I don't think my Sith Inquisitor's voice suits his Pureblood looks at all. He has a softly spoken, pretty dry south east English accent. Most of the other sith npc's have a very rich, arrogant aristocratic accent or slight received pronunciation. Some even sound like Simon Cowell!

On the contrary, my SI has the looks and face that match his voice quite well for a pureblood.

Female Trooper- Human. Shepard would have it no other way.

Female Smuggler- Probably Twi'lek. Very cocky and high-pitched, like Vette.

Female Consular- Miraluka. Sounds a lot like Visas from KotOR II.

Female Knight- Probably human.

Male Trooper- Definitely human.

Male Smuggler- Human.

Male Consular- Human or Miraluka.

Male Knight- Human.

Female Agent- Human or Chiss?

Female Bounty Hunter- I'd probably say human, but works well with Zabrak too.

Female Inquisitor- Anything but Twi'lek. Just sounds... wrong.

Female Warrior- Probably human.

Male Agent- Definitely Chiss.

Male Bounty Hunter- Human.

Male Inquisitor- Not a clue.

Male Warrior- Pureblood.

Needless to say, this is all my opinion.

Male Warrior: Pureblood, maybe Cyborg

Male Agent: Definitely feels right playing as a Chiss, however none of the other Chiss seem to have Imperial accents...

Male Inquisitor: Twi'lek, maybe Human

Male Bounty Hunter: Rattataki

Male Consular: Twi'lek feels right to me

Male Trooper: Definitely Human

I've found that some race choices just don't fit the classes possible for them at all. that said, there are some race and body choices that I find just work so well, I have trouble picturing the characters as anything but.

On the Republic side:

Trooper - Type 2 Body human for the ladies, while a Type 2 or 3 Cyborg for the guys seems to fit best. I guess that I'm a bit biased when it comes to the Female Trooper, since I can't see anyone but a Shepard lookalike in that role.

Smuggler - Type 1 bodies for both men and women (I can't imagine these guys as very big or strong), with a Miralirian fitting the Male the best. The female I can't imagine as anything but a Twi'lek, the voice just matches too well.

Knight - The Male knight works with just about any race with a type 2 body in my eyes (except for maybe Twi'lek), while the female seems to match the Twi'lek rather well (a human also fits well, too).

Consular - The Male works best as a Miraluka, no doubt there in my mind (even if he has no eyes, you can almost hear him rolling them in some of his lines), while the female voice fits just about anything but Twi'leks.

Now, the Imperial Side of things:

Agent - Human definitely fits best for the male, no doubt there, preferably with a Type 2 body (I have trouble picturing these guys as especially big or fat, they'd stand out); while the females seem to be best suited to Chiss.

Sith Warrior - Purebloods all the way here. You can almost feel the self-assuredness and arrogance just by listening to them.

Sith Inquisitor - I actually find that the male voice suits a Type 2 Rattataki best. There's just something about the lack of hair and prominent eyes that just fit the snarkiness and lunacy that the Inquisitor brings, though Zabraks also fit (especially for Assassins). For the girls, Purebloods and humans work well, in addition to the Rattataki.

Bounty Hunter - I can't really find a good female type for the BH, Human seems to fit, as do Chiss, but it still doesn't seem quite right. The the males, a Type 2 or Type 3 Cyborg works the best.

Edited by BlueSouthPike

Male IA: definitely Chiss with body type 2

Female smuggler: made her a Mirialan with body type 1 and short boyish hair, I think it suits her quite well. Although I guess human would go well with it too.

Male Warrior: Pureblood, maybe Cyborg

Male Agent: Definitely feels right playing as a Chiss, however none of the other Chiss seem to have Imperial accents...

Male Inquisitor: Twi'lek, maybe Human

Male Bounty Hunter: Rattataki

Male Consular: Twi'lek feels right to me

Male Trooper: Definitely Human

The Agent is able to drop the accent at a moment's notice. As a Chiss, I like to think he reverts to his native accent for those times.

I like how the voice goes with all my species choices

Jedi Knight: Mirilian, Male

Jedi Consular: Miraluka, Female

Tropoer: Cyborg, Male

Smuggler: Zabrak, Male

Sith Warrior: Zabrak, Male

Sith Inquisitor: Twi'lek, Female

Bounty Hunter: Cyborg, Female

Imperial Agent: Rattataki, Female

I also think it's more about the look of the face, than the species itself

Edited by FalcoLombardi

From what I've played, my preferences are:

Female Agent - Chiss

Female Trooper - Human

Female Warrior - Pureblood Sith

Female Smuggler - Human

Female Consular - Miraluka

Female Bounty Hunter - Human

Female Knight - Mirialan

I've seen my husband and friend play both male Jedi Knight and Consular as humans, both voices worked. Seen male Chiss Agent, but the voice seemed off, seems like it would fit better with a Cyborg.

I haven't tried all of the classes yet, but here it goes:

I think human or Sith pureblood suits the Sith Warrior's voice very well.

I picked Rattataki for my Inquisitor and the voice seemed to work well. Also, in my opinion, being human or Sith would feel weird as an Inquisitor, considering his story.

Human suits the Jedi Knight.

Chiss undoubtedly suits the Agent.

I chose human, but I think human or Cyborg works fine for the Bounty Hunter.

Sith Warrior: Pureblood and Human fit best.

Sith Inquisitor: Human, pureblood, or Twi'lek fit the story/voice best.

Bounty Hunter: Human, Cyborg, Rattataki would work best. Chiss is just weird with that voice...

Agent: Human, Chiss and maybe a Mirilian (I know) would work best. (I only say Mirilian because I am going to make a Mirilian Agent)