Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

On Companions

Damask_Rose

I haven't read all the posts, but I fully support practically all the ideas presented in the original post and would love to see them done!

I'd also like to add one thing that I think is actually a bug that needs fixing: I put a covert armor (invisible chest piece) on Quinn, and most of the time it shows as it should. But when I have companion conversations with him, magically his original shirt is back on. (And my warrior wants to smack him and demand to know when she gave him permission to put his shirt back on.) I've also seen this happen with head gear when 'hide head gear' is checked, particularly with class quests.

Edited by MollyDresden

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state of the game #2 has two tidbits for companion lovers!

1. Under Elder Game "Overall, we’re aiming to introduce a more diverse array of activities – more stuff to do with your Companion, more challenges to tackle with groups, and more reasons for guilds to recruit." I so want details!

2. Under Same Gender Romance "I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character." At least for now SGR will be with NPCs and not companions, which will disappoint many people.

very good resumen, i just saw a couple things missing there, in my opinion:

- We shoudn't be forced to gift-spam them in order to gain enougth affection to advance on their conversations, something on this regard should be implemented, either by increasing affection gained by conversations, or reducing max affection level, or some other way, so that while u still need to use some gift now and then, it is not a MUST SPAM THEM situation....

- The Companion Gift preferences should be displayed on the in-game Codex at their bio on the Important Person entries, so that people don't have to minimise the game when they have some doubt about what companion liked what kind of gift.

-----------------------------------------------

EDIT:

u should add this too:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=522619

Edited by YeIIow

• 1 month later...

I've always wanted the companions to have more of a role in our story. As it stands now they are pretty much just sidekicks who follow us around and shoot stuff/tank/heal or whatever.

For example, I know that in the early stages of the game, you actually had opportunities to kill companions or let them die, depending on your choices. I would like for this to be brought back, but with someone to replace the newly-deceased companion. For example, companion X cannot put up with my opposite alignment and betrays me; I kill them, and a new character (not a random character, but someone I know/have worked with before) comes and takes their place. Or maybe, instead of that, we get companions depending on our alignment or story choices; similar to KotOR 2: TSL where we could get either Mira or Hanharr depending on if we were light or dark sided. It always frustrates me how I get stuck with some companions whose alignment is completely opposite to my character's for the beginning of the game, and how they never agree with anything I do. Having the ability to get more personalized companions, or even to kill certain ones and have them replaced would add a whole new level of replay value to the classes.

Finally, for the love of Kashyyk, unless a companion is a robot, I want to be able to romance them, regardless of species. If Commander Shepard can have a relationship with Tali, the 24/7 enviro-suit Quarian; or with Garrus, the completely human-incompatible Turian, then why can't it happen in Star Wars? Why can't my Trooper have a relationship with Yuun or Tanno Vik? Or a Smuggler with Languss Tuno? I just think it's pretty limiting for some classes to only get 1 or 2 romances and only with human or near-human companions. Bringing up Mass Effect 2 again, the only non-robot crew members who couldn't be romanced were Grunt and Mordin, and they had legitimate reasons. Grunt's true love was gratuitous amounts of violence, and Mordin was a Salarian who didn't really give a crap about love or romance.

TL;DR version: Let us kill companions and replace them with companions more attuned to our alignment, have different companions based on alignment and give us more variety in our companion romance plots.

/end rant

All of this

What about advanced companion class options: Choose between dps, healer or tank for each companion

Legacy Companions: Share companions amongst legacy, If a companion is at max affection allow that companion to be unlocked for all classes. Obviously you lose out on some character vo in storyline but they can say the same basic stuff when arriving on a planet an stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Sharing companions? No, that would make no sense at all cross-faction. Maybe not even cross-class, as some companions are with that exact player character for their own reasons that would not be fulfilled by anyone else, or are bound to them by orders/honor (Khem, SCORPIO, etc). Sometimes not even maxing out their affection does not change that.

Each class has basically the same companions (mDPS, rDPS, mTank, rTank, Heal), so you are not missing on any role, and they are written to fit your character storyline. Pairing Khem with Agent would not make sense for example...

• 4 weeks later...
Yep yep and yep.

Good job collecting all these!

I'm surprised that they didn't have same sex romance.. its almost disappointing what about G/L/T

im sure people would love to be able to do as they want since they are once again creating there own story.

I have read most of these and I agree with a lot of the ideas. I would like to see more with the other companions other than the first in terms of going on the missions with them. However in that respect I also think it would be fun if you could temporarily take control of that companion (ex. Kira for the Jedi Knight) to do the mission. In the two KOTOR games you had at least one mission where that was the case. So maybe the character you created does not go on the mission with them, and an other member of the crew goes instead.

This is just a thought and something that I think would be interesting.

I agree with all of this, especially giving the characters who don't have a "skin" texture one so they can make use of all the new Cartel Items. And that we need a way to "kit" a companion so we can change their ability focus, I'd love to have Kira as a healer for me Sentinel.

- Raith

I still want to see the to option of same sex romances.

Also, I love the option to pull out more than one companion like KOTOR. However, I'm sure they will create balance issues with mobs, so then for now, they could just let us pull out more in FPs or instanced locations. The instance could scale up depending on how many comps we have out (1 or 2 or 3). Can you imagine all your comps talking at once about how they just killed an enemy? Very interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
I noticed, every since the gree event that when one is able to get the gree floating cube and gree starship. You can have the Cube out along with your companion, and as well as the floating gree ship. So giving that means there is 3 spots along aside your player, one companion and 2 pets or in this case though its 2 gree toys. You cant have 2 animal pets out at same time with your companion but you can at least with the 2 gree toys u can. What im getting at is, if i can have next to me a companion and the 2 gree toys floating around me, WHY CANT I HAVE 3 COMPANIONS IN ALL WITH MY PLAYER, Or at least 2 companions? In the old KOTOR I & II, you could have 2 Companions. So give us now at least 2 companions, to fight along side of our players.....

Well, Since I only do dps characters, I tend to just romance the healer companion, if that's not possible at all, I tend to not bother romancing anyone at all, unless its a basic npc, bioware and their crap system they made, where dps need to use their healer companions, unless you can somehow get your companions uber geared.

Unfortunately chapter 4 arrived and they did not follow any of these suggestions, no active speaking of companions on quests, no end to the story of Quinn = (

Makeb is just a planet arc, not ch. 4. Not that it makes it any more likely we can look forward to more class content and companion quests :(

Apparently I'm wrong on this. All of my 50s have loadscreens that still say "interlude" but apparently other people have loadscreens that are for ch. 4. Not sure what I am missing to trigger the new loadscreens.

Edited by Damask_Rose

I couldn't agree more. After maxing out all of my companions affection I felt unfinished. I truly believe their should be more to the companions for sure and class story stuff. Once I hit 50 I feel like everything else is just a drag. Edited by SilentBeauty

• 3 weeks later...
Makeb is just a planet arc, not ch. 4. Not that it makes it any more likely we can look forward to more class content and companion quests :(

Apparently I'm wrong on this. All of my 50s have loadscreens that still say "interlude" but apparently other people have loadscreens that are for ch. 4. Not sure what I am missing to trigger the new loadscreens.

The load screen says chapter 4 while you are doing the main quests on Mekab. Before you start it and after you finish it, the loadscreen still says Interlude.