Advance Class Reset

Razorfrost

Dear SWTOR Staff,

I believe that the players can benefit by establishing a service to reset your choice of advanced class. The story and character itself does not change other than the abilities for the advance class. It is such a minor difference that they should be melded together with the ability to reset and change between the two much like the ability to reset your skill points between talent trees.

This would benefit people by allowing people to play more of the characters. As it stands, if someone was going to play every character and every advanced skill tree it would take up sixteen characters slots. I would estimate that almost every player does not have the time to play that many characters and will get tired of playing the game with the minor differences.

If people are allowed to changed between the advanced classes it would improve a characters entertainment lifetime. People would be allowed to explore a specific character much more with the same story. As well as entertainment, this reduction in characters that people have to make still leaves people with more than enough things to explore. It would not reduce the amount people would play the game it would just allow them to play more characters.

Thank you for listening and may the force be with you!

Razorfrost

Dear SWTOR Staff,

I believe that the players can benefit by establishing a service to reset your choice of advanced class. The story and character itself does not change other than the abilities for the advance class. It is such a minor difference that they should be melded together with the ability to reset and change between the two much like the ability to reset your skill points between talent trees.

This would benefit people by allowing people to play more of the characters. As it stands, if someone was going to play every character and every advanced skill tree it would take up sixteen characters slots. I would estimate that almost every player does not have the time to play that many characters and will get tired of playing the game with the minor differences.

If people are allowed to changed between the advanced classes it would improve a characters entertainment lifetime. People would be allowed to explore a specific character much more with the same story. As well as entertainment, this reduction in characters that people have to make still leaves people with more than enough things to explore. It would not reduce the amount people would play the game it would just allow them to play more characters.

Thank you for listening and may the force be with you!

Razorfrost

There are only eight Advanced Classes. They just have different names and animations across factions. (Commando/Mercenary, Guardian/Juggernaut, Shadow/Assassin, Gunslinger/Sniper, Vanguard/Powertech, Sentinel/Marauder, Sage/Sorcerer, Scoundrel/Operative). You can make every single one across eight character slots, and I know this because I'm doing it right now. On both factions I have a tank, MDPS, RDPS, and a healer spread out across all eight Advanced Classes; Powertech, Juggernaut, Sorcerer, Operative, Shadow, Sentinel, Gunslinger, Commando.

This was discussed before the game even launched. Changing from a Gunslinger to a Scoundrel in SWTOR would be like changing from a mage to a rogue on World of Warcraft. They're not talent trees, there is no "minor difference", they're actual classes. They're "advanced" because when you reach that point in the game you're actually allowed to start doing stuff (Crew Skills, PvP, Flashpoints, etc) and they're just icing on the cake.

I'm telling you this so you'll understand if the devs decided to never, ever make this happen. From the get-go before you choose you're told what each Advanced Class is used for (tanking, damage, healing) and shown both sets of talent trees, and even usable weapons in some cases, like the Commando and the Sniper. The devs made sure players are all reasonably informed before picking and the only thing players have to do is read before clicking the okay button.

Edited by Malles

I completely understand the argument that they are different classes and that the design is that you pick one and go but I highly disagree with the logic behind that. In my opinion, a subset of abilities, a change in weapons, and different set of skill trees doesn't change the character's story. My argument is more story based than abilities and trees. If i wanted to experience a bounty hunter and a smuggler it would take four characters to see all of the sides to the abilities but their are only two stories one for each main class. Having half of your abilities the same as the other spec makes it feel like it should be able to switch between the two. This may be nit picking a little bit but putting in the ability to switch advanced classes doesn't vast change the game or the design it just makes it easier to see the different stories. The game puts emphasis on the two factions being the same design in abilities but having different stories makes it so people want to see both sides. In the end seeing every different point of view does lead to sixteen different things but only eight of them are actually different in progression because they are duplicates of the advanced classes.

And if you are relating it to a different game then I will point out that SWTOR limits you to two rolls and almost every other game lets some of the characters have three or more rolls (Wow exmaple: Paladin, Druid....). Just because its the opinion of a few people doesn't mean its the opinion of everyone to make it this way. People like playing in different ways this makes it easier for the people that want to explore it in this manner.