Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

You know, even if we somehow equate adding same-gender options to existing characters as "external forces changing their sexuality" I still want my Consular to be able to flirt with Nadia even if she does turn her down. I don't think the characters need to be altered to allow them to be open-minded to the possibility of same-sex romance.

I think the game would indeed a lot better if there were more ways to show interest in characters, even if they are not romance options. And talk about things like these with characters. However deep the concept may have been, there is little that shines through. And the dialogues often feel like walking through a mine field. You click through the dialogue options and suddenly what you thought would be a thoughtful argument becomes an aggressive snappy comment. The key I hit most often during dialgoues is probably the escape key.

It would also be nice if not every flirt option meets with success. In some cases the subject may simply not be interested, in other cases it depends on which flirt option you use when... I would really like to know more about why Zenith doesn't want to, for example. My main character is a twi'lek woman after all, and even if she's not after an eternal love, she might like to show the rough, strong man that life is not solily a burden.

I consider Kira my friend, I would really love to ask about love, boys and girls, see what she likes, not just because I might wanna get her laid, because I am curious about her. After all she joined the Jedi Order when she was eighteen, and has been "popular" before that, as she says herself. She might wanna qualify "popular".

Maybe, additional to romances, there should be "best friend" kind of relationships.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, additional to romances, there should be "best friend" kind of relationships.

Some of the character interactions do approach this, especially between female characters and female companions; Female BH with Mako and Female Warrior with Vette have a very elder-sister-younger-sister dynamic going on (At least for me, going mostly Lightside), and I did warm to Kaliyo on my FemAgent when she started to act more like she genuinely liked her rather than just tagging along because why not.

Some of the character interactions do approach this, especially between female characters and female companions; Female BH with Mako and Female Warrior with Vette have a very elder-sister-younger-sister dynamic going on (At least for me, going mostly Lightside), and I did warm to Kaliyo on my FemAgent when she started to act more like she genuinely liked her rather than just tagging along because why not.
Sadly though, they never did what I suggested long ago. A "more than friends, not sharing bedsheets" option.

I mean for example Vette says you're like a sister, yet not once does she ever offer the bonding ritual Twi'leks' have to become siblings that you learn you can do as JK on Tython (if you take the DS option cause apparently having siblings is evil :rolleyes: ). And as huge as Vette is into twi'lek traditions twi'lek pride ect, she has to know about such a significant ritual. Guess your character is just too black sheep to be part of Vette's family (and considering the things Vette has done in her past...let's just say she's no angel herself).

*Spoilers for people who haven't done JK through Tython and hints about things you learn fairly quickly about Vette.

It just seems as though companions are so thinly fleshed out in interactions with the player a true "companion" would have its laughable. A few stories about their past (sometimes not even that much), they fight just like pets in other games (though the heals are nice), they say a few canned phrases over and over (I swear Dorne if you say "Stand still!" one more time...), a few smart arsed comments here and there, and that's about it if they don't have a romance option. Because only companions with those options get even a tiny bit more flesh (itty bitty bits that they are).

I mean I get cost and time is a factor, but couldn't some of their more useless dialogs have had a few "blood brother" kind of moments rather than some of the inane diatribes they go on about?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but that's what I thought SWTOR was supposed to be all about..."The Story"?

Personally, I'd rather they created new characters who were gay and bi. Too many people think that sexuality can be changed by external forces as it is without reinforcing that notion in entertainment. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Considering most romance options don't currently display a defined sexuality, this is not even close to what would be happening.

For the existing companions, some of them would be out of the closet. Nothing more, nothing else. Same equally ignorable [Flirt] options.

People come out IRL all the time and are still the same person, just open about their relationships. Plus, creating new characters just for bi/gay content is a horrible idea(no offense.) For starters, it gives the impression that "token" characters are the only way to give people LGBT content. For another, a lot of players are already attached to their current companions. So that would be a double whammy. Finally, it would contradict BW's earlier statements that they've had current companions in mind for this all along.

Edited by natashina

Personally, I'd rather they created new characters who were gay and bi. Too many people think that sexuality can be changed by external forces as it is without reinforcing that notion in entertainment. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Um, I don't think that there is anything remotely like the notion of reparative therapies in a fictional companion whose romantic interest is in the hero of a story regardless of the hero's gender. The Corso in my Gunslinger's story hasn't demonstrated any orientation at all during the course of play. Giving me the option to pursue a romance won't change who he has been all along, in my story.

I can imagine some players becoming uncomfortable with certain companions if they are unlocked for SGRs, regardless of the fact that the romantic storylines are initiated by the player, but I don't see a need to cater to that.

We have the companions we have. The only new companion on the horizon is HK-51. Unless there is a whole slate of new companions on Makeb (which I very much doubt), SGRs will have to be with companions we already know. If I am mistaken, and SGRs are only through new companions on Makeb, that would mean no same-gender romances at all until after Lvl 50 – hardly what we have been led to expect, and hardly on par with opposite-gender options already in game.

For starters, it gives the impression that "token" characters are the only way to give people LGBT content. For another, a lot of players are already attached to their current companions. So that would be a double whammy. Finally, it would contradict BW's earlier statements that they've had current companions in mind for this all along.

I don't think so. if new companions are released, some of which are gay only, some of which are straight it will be new content for everyone and extend the number of available options for everyone; not just because of the romance options, but also for the companions themselves. If additionally a few selected existing characters would be made available, every single player character would have effectively more options. If in turn same gender romance options are released it will be new content (if on a smaller scope) for people who are interested in same gender romances only, thus, I believe the exact opposite of what you say is true.

Some people may be attached to one particular character and some of them should be made available, but that would mean that virtually all would have to be available. I don't see the point of this thread as suggesting any particular character, but giving the options at all in the first place. There is no reason why people would like new characters less than existing ones, and the logical consequence of making every single one option work both ways seems most absurd to me.

Therefore, I think you're wrong. New characters would be a lot better than bluntly adding same gender romance options to all existing characters.

They've stated that when SGRA's are added in the near future, it will be with current companions that "make sense".

There's no point to discuss new companions at this time.

By that logic it wouldn't make sense to discuss the topic at all, it would only make sense to wait and see.

When it comes to sexuality the gender matters a lot. Some people are simple not gay. Of course in some cases we'd like them to be, but the game would be shale if all companions would simply be whatever we want them to be. DA2 is not a particularly good Bioware game - I don't find it bad either, but it's certainly not par with Dragon Age: Origins are the Mass Effect series.

If there was a rating system for this forum, i'd give this a rating of winner. Let's look at the DA2 female options: Isabella the pirate could have remained bi, while Merrill could've been developed a lesbian w/appropriate story to match. Aveline could have been added as the straight only option with the realization that Hawke wants her and if male the romance begins, but if female, it never gets off the ground.

Anyways, back on topic. Having the same-gender romances for the companions that make sense is a good idea and a bad idea. The bad is that some of the companions do not make sense as SGRs to some, like me and Elara Dorne for example, makes no sense for a woman in the military known for never breaking rules and regulations should even be in a romance with her male commanding officer (Trooper). Change the boss to a female, it makes even less sense. The good is that some classes only get the one option so it would have to be that person.

1. Trooper-Elara is the only female in the squad other than trooper.
  2. Jedi Knight-I only know of Kira the padawan, that would be fun.
  3. Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor-Their repective companions, Nadia and Ashara.

Edited by stormdrakelord

By that logic it wouldn't make sense to discuss the topic at all, it would only make sense to wait and see.

We can't discuss what they've confirmed?

I don't see the point of continually pushing the idea that SGRA's should be with new companions instead of existing ones when they've confirmed that they will add them in with some existing companions.

Anyways, back on topic. Having the same-gender romances for the companions that make sense is a good idea and a bad idea. The bad is that some of the companions do not make sense as SGRs to some, like me and Elara Dorne for example, makes no sense for a woman in the military known for never breaking rules and regulations should even be in a romance with her male commanding officer (Trooper). Change the boss to a female, it makes even less sense.

whoa... what does that mean exactly ? Elara sleeping with her male boss is not so bad but Elara sleeping with her female boss is crossing the line ?

We can't discuss what they've confirmed?

I don't see the point of continually pushing the idea that SGRA's should be with new companions instead of existing ones when they've confirmed that they will add them in with some existing companions.

With no deadline or anything in sight, why wouldn't people branch into hypotheticals?

Edited by Palar

With no deadline or anything in sight, why wouldn't people branch into hypotheticals?

We could discuss the hypothetical of it not being included at all then. Posters come into this thread and push that idea from time to time.

It has been confirmed that they will include them though, so I don't see much point in that.

whoa... what does that mean exactly ? Elara sleeping with her male boss is not so bad but Elara sleeping with her female boss is crossing the line ?

I didn't say that, just that Elara is a by-the-book kind of girl, and sleeping with her commanding officer might be breaking regulations/rules, no matter the gender. that, and I personally can't see her in a romance at all.

Edited by stormdrakelord

I didn't say that, just that Elara is a by-the-book kind of girl, and sleeping with her commanding officer might be breaking regulations/rules, no matter the gender. that, and I personally can't see her in a romance at all.

I thought Elara was a romance option, though?

Well, technically, they never specifically said "current companions". It is a reasonable inference, but the statements could as easily have applied to companions already designed and/or written whom we have yet to meet. I personally do think the remarks referred to current companions, particularly given the leaks regarding Makeb.

On the other hand, it doesn't hurt to speculate. In some ways it is even helpful to, as we can then make known what we would or would not appreciate in various scenarios.

Just makes no sense for her to be a romance option, considering her character.

That has no bearing on her availability for SGRA specifically because she is a romance option.

Regardless, she's an option and you don't have to romance her if you don't think it makes sense.

Well, technically, they never specifically said "current companions". It is a reasonable inference, but the statements could as easily have applied to companions already designed and/or written whom we have yet to meet. I personally do think the remarks referred to current companions, particularly given the leaks regarding Makeb.

I'm remembering now that the very first statement on this feature did state that it would be with new companions.

At this point in time, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add it at all.

At this point in time, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add it at all.

Mr. Gonzalez did say that the statement from the Guild Summit still stands, but like you I find that hard to believe. I realise that Bioware have made all these promises about content post-F2P but I still think they're going to drop story content entirely and just churn out crap they can shove in the cash shop. It's a real pity as I enjoy the class stories and would have enjoyed possible romance options, but I have two strapping men in Guild Wars 2 I can play with.

Sudden urge to pester Ms. Berryman again. Should I perhaps CC Mr. Gonzalez?

I was looking for a recent (past week or two) post on the Dev Tracker where Allison specifically said that they are certainly still adding story in the future. This was a misunderstanding over a remark that immediate goals were for more group content, more often with story updates less frequent but much larger when they do come.

The September Announcement was ambiguous as to whether current or future companions were meant, and Reid clarified at the time that he could not promise current companions would be available. Erickson's statement in March seemed to lean toward current companions but in fact the point has never yet been clarified.

I don't know what bugging Allison can do, but by all means CC Joveth as well. He's not a bad guy. A point to make might be that we don't have any info on SGRs originating from anyone still with BioWare Austin, as Daniel Erickson has announced his departure from the studio. Mr. Reid left some time ago.

And it has been a while, so to keep this accessible for escalating to the attention of those who can answer if those who can permit them permit it, here's the summary of Things We'd Really Like To Know, Please:

• Will same-gender relationships be available with current companions?
  • If so, with which?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available for all eight classes?
  • If not, with which?
  • Will new relationship options be available to characters who have already fully progressed companion stories?
  • Is the awaited same-gender content on the schedule to be released with Makeb?
  • Are we still on track to see that content this year?
  • Will same-gender romance require an in-game credit or cartel coin (or any other similar) expense to unlock?

Some of these questions date back to beta testing. Others are more recent, arising from changes at BioWare Austin and in the direction of the game. Clarification of any would be appreciated. Thanks.