Spend 2025 credits and 30 minutes on slicing lockbox mission

MrPlastic

Sounds pretty much working as intended to me. RNG can bite you sometimes, can bite you a lot of times. You'll need a bigger sample set for a true measurement. Not every slicing mission will be a net positive gain. Do it long enough and you should net a positive overall.

Sounds pretty much working as intended to me. RNG can bite you sometimes, can bite you a lot of times. You'll need a bigger sample set for a true measurement. Not every slicing mission will be a net positive gain. Do it long enough and you should net a positive overall.

The higher "rank" ones (rich, abundant, etc.) I'm pretty sure aren't even designed to be a net profit on pure credits- just to not make you go broke while using them to get the schematics and other such things.

But as far as I can tell, the primary purpose of lockbox missions is a less-costly way to level it up than tech parts, so you can get to the Rank 6 tech parts sooner.

The higher "rank" ones (rich, abundant, etc.) I'm pretty sure aren't even designed to be a net profit on pure credits- just to not make you go broke while using them to get the schematics and other such things.

But as far as I can tell, the primary purpose of lockbox missions is a less-costly way to level it up than tech parts, so you can get to the Rank 6 tech parts sooner.

^this is right... op probably remembers the days before they nerfed slicing.. when it was horrifically skewed the other way.... im glad we dont have those times anymore

Receive 1391 credits.

Working as intended.

You mean I can't let my level 10 alt stay on the homeworld/station and slice from 1-400 while turning a profit? Shucks...

In all seriousness, if you rely on missions to farm credits at high skill levels you're doing it wrong.

What? You miss the days of people asking in chat for whatever they wanted, "paying 1.5 Million credits!" two weeks after launch? Whatever could have been imbalanced in that kind of income?

About 40 or so years ago someone I knew sent off for a book called something like "How to be Wealthy," by mail. He got it a week later, a little paper-bound thing that had printed on every page, "Go to work. Go to work. Go to work."

Receive 1391 credits.

Working as intended.

No it is not working as intended, there have been 2 posts recently by developers stating that it was wrong and they were going to fix it. Recent update said they fixed it.. yet I am still getting less returns than it costs to send them out, by far. The multiple silent nerfs to slicing have finally caught up and made this horse crap of a gathering skill.

On a side note, 1.8k spent on retrieving power crystals, 28k profit made from result.

Yes, gathering skills are very balanced.:rak_02:

No it is not working as intended, there have been 2 posts recently by developers stating that it was wrong and they were going to fix it. Recent update said they fixed it.. yet I am still getting less returns than it costs to send them out, by far. The multiple silent nerfs to slicing have finally caught up and made this horse crap of a gathering skill.

On a side note, 1.8k spent on retrieving power crystals, 28k profit made from result.

Yes, gathering skills are very balanced.:rak_02:

They can't exactly fine-tune profit results based on selling materials to other players, you know.

Crit on that same mission: Receive credits and goods worth 7-10k.

Yes, working as intended.

I'm not speaking about slicing here, but in general, crit on mission and get everything, and by that I mean schematics for everything but the crafting profession you have chosen. I can't begin to count the number of useless items I've amassed through missions which have nothing to do with my craft. This is on all my alts not just one by the way.

Working as intended? Either I'm the most unlucky SOB on any planet or the RNG is biased against my craft.

Has anyone else had this experience? I have a theory, when you select your character the game drop percentage of usable equipment is biased against your class, the percentage is then set against you again when you select your crafting trade.

Has anyone else had this experience? I have a theory, when you select your character the game drop percentage of usable equipment is biased against your class, the percentage is then set against you again when you select your crafting trade.

this seems especially true doing diplomacy. you're lv4 light, need some medical supplies but your list is populated with dark abundant/bountiful, the only light is a moderate or companion gifts. the check system also screws up your mission list.

or lets say you are armormech, and your grade six list is entirely companion gifts or luxury fabrics. you zone back and forth 4 times between the fleet and your ship, finally send Tanno Vic out on a rich metal mission, and 1:35 later, he fails. forget the fact that he could have come back with 2 mandolorian iron. you sent him out for 4 ciridium so you can craft some pathetic belt for an alt.

yeah... your slicing mission is working as intended.

So they just want crew skill missions (the one shot random drops) to be phased out?

Edited by NermalDetonator

On average, you will make a profit while building up your skill rank. But, by far, you will make most of your profits by selling high level crafting missions returned with your lock boxes. This has really paid off for me. I raise the slicing skill on all of my alts. I have 4 characters at level 400 running missions to retrieve the 'crafting missions'.

eh that happens sometimes, i also break even or make 300-400 about as often. The crits will make it a profit over time. The level 6 abundant and moderate missions bring a steady profit from lockboxes alone. 300-500 usually and no more than 200 for a loss.

The bug was fixed.

The rich missions just have a chance for a bigger loss from a single mission but when crits are factored in you should be gaining overall.

Receive 1391 credits.

Working as intended.

As Gault sometimes says, you win some, you lose some--you just lost some. Yes it's annoying but it happens across all gathering missions, not just slicing and it's almost literally a roll of the dice courtesy of the RNG. Sure you take a bath on that particular mission--or your companion fails netting you nothing--yet the next one you run may get you a lockbox and another goodie, like a mission or a schematic...as others have said, in the long run you do come out ahead especially with all the boxes to slice on the worlds you visit...that's just an absolute goldmine--I LOVE slicing and eventually all my toons will have that skill