SWTOR The Hardware Killer

RohanEagle

First off the Quasmo was quickly out dated and has cooling issues to begin with. I had 2. First one cooked the video card just running 3DS Max 4 hours a day only 3 months after buying it off newegg.

They sent a new one and the processor went poof after around 4 months.

I now use an Alienware m14x my work purchased for me embarrassed by how crappy my Quasmo was. The m14X only has 1 fan and runs SWTOR maxed out great with out a cooling pad. The quasmo sounded like a jet taking off any time it got even the slightest bit stressed. Running even photoshop stressed that stupid computer out. Trying to work on designs with my fans going nuts drove me nuts.

Also showing us pictures of random items does not prove anything. Your video card was used? lol

Maybe show pics of the inside of your case with the screen in the picture showing temps. Other wise for all we know you could be running an old refurbished HP with a used video card in it.

My hardware is not old.LOL

My MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozr II is new.

To all the Guru guys that not believe that the software cause this issue, just read my first post about my cooling.

And there is another test, to show how my hardware work as normal.

http://www.abload.de/img/gpu_temp5aaulr.png

Edited by RohanEagle

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, you are in denial if you have convinced yourself that software caused your hardware to fail.

That is like a car engine getting hot. If you have a crap radiator (the thing that keeps the engine cool) and your engine overheats. What is really to blame? The radiator or the fact that you had the engine running.

Blaming the fact that the engine was running is just idiotic. Use a little logic. The engine running does cause the engine to heat, but the crap radiator is the source of your true trouble. The engine simply revealed that you had a cooling problem in the first place.

Notice I never said my hardware failed. Notice I said "can" not "will" Notice I said it is possible for software designed to do so, to disable some or all of the protections.

I'm not blaming anything. Only things I have picked up over the years. And still, getting my GPUs to the point of safety shutdown, when even Furmark running all day cannot, says there is an issue. Nothing else even pushes them as far as Furmark does. ie even swtor doesn't USE them as much as furmark does, or many of my other games for that matter, but they get hotter with swtor than others.

The simple fact is that software CANNOT, by definition, harm hardware in any form what so ever. Every piece of hardware has a safety switch - it can never run at a capacity that would harm it. Your CPU can never become too hot and burn, same with graphics card. They will swich off. If they do switch off, it's your fault because you don't have proper cooling. Everyone claiming anything else is talking out of his a*s. Period.

That's actually not true, once i had a Nvidia 9600 that literally cooked itself (you could smell chips melting) because the fan got clogged up with hair.

It is true, hair is not software.

But I think I know what you were saying. That safety switch has it's limitations. They don't expect hairballs the size of house cats sitting on the chip set. :)

To all the Guru guys that not believe that the software cause this issue, just read my first post about my cooling.

We have all read your first post. And the verdict is the same. If your computer is overheating it is your computer, not the software. :jawa_smile:

I do love some of the responses here.

Yes, it is possible for software to cause a GPU to go beyond it's limits and kill itself. However most software isn't designed or intends to bypass the protections on the hardware and do so.

The point is that it's impossible for user-mode software (like a game) to burn out a GPU, which is completely true.

Sure, you can write software that interfaces directly to the hardware, or somehow overrides driver functions, but this game doesn't do any of that, so it's irrelevant.

Again, you really should read up on this stuff

If something is overheating when you're playing TOR the fault lies in your hardware

The point is that it's impossible for user-mode software (like a game) to burn out a GPU, which is completely true.

Sure, you can write software that interfaces directly to the hardware, or somehow overrides driver functions, but this game doesn't do any of that, so it's irrelevant.

But my point later still stands. Even if it's not overriding protections, it can still cause GPUs to ramp up more than they should given the graphics. Happened in SC2, EVE, FFXIV. Proper cooling/protections will prevent the card from dying of course, but not from shutting down to prevent that. Ie in my case where it DOES shut down to prevent damage. But NOTHING else causes it to do so, not even Furmark. And furmark pushes it much harder than swtor does, and still runs cooler.

Ok, so Aion doesn't stress your hardware as much, look at your CPU utilization. Which translates into less heat being exhausted into your case, which in turn means the ambient temp in your case is lower so the GPU can be cooled better since your video card's cooling system relies on your case air instead of drawing it in on its own from outside of your case.

I'm just saying, logic works, try it sometime.

Again, you really should read up on this stuff

If something is overheating when you're playing TOR the fault lies in your hardware

I agree you might want to take it up with MSI and ask why there big fancy twin heat sink heat pipe setup sucks. Looks like its a factory oc as well maybe they screwed up there as well.

Not being a smart @#$ but you could just as easily blame MSI if you want to blame the game

Edited by dvsxxx

You said in your original post "Used Video Card"

Yes we see the nifty stock picture of a fancy cooler in your first post... And?

Aion. Nice I played that game as well. There is no one around you. Your not moving and its night

I agree you might want to take it up with MSI and ask why there big fancy twin hetasink heat pipe setup sucks.

Interesting, but with Aion and Lotro or other games, my hardware doesn't runs hot. :D

@TheRainstater

And who is around me in SWTOR Login screen?

Edited by RohanEagle

I'm running on a Asus DirectCUII GTX 580 and although the game does put up an unusual load it's usually not higher than 70°C. Currently at 68°C. That is on Imperial screens.

On my Republic screens it's getting hotter, the GPU usage goes up from 44% to 72% and temperature rises to 76°C (using my Smuggler and my Trooper as reference).

So if you don't want to toast your hardware, roll Empire. (<- Joke, no need to turn Sith irl)

Just a question - ( don't want to send the cat amongst the pigeons...)

You have a Q9550 CPU ?

Which has a stock Frequency of 2.83MHz with a VID of around 1.20v - 1.25v 'ish ?

... and yours is overclocked to 3.61MGhz with your VID ramped up to 1.300v ?

Just gonna assume you are one of the lucky owners who's non-overclocked E0 chip has a VID of 1.20v - Good for you =D

Have you tried running the game witout overclocking at all .. and watched the temps ?

Just putting it out there....

SWTOR does appear to stress hardware considerably, far more than is necessary for the quality of graphics in the game IMO.

On a quad-core system all 4 cores are constantly being pushed pretty hard, and with just the game open I hit 4 GB memory usage frequently.

Games can't directly break hardware, but this one certainly pushes the hardware.

Edited by Furrybeans

I can agree with this, i have to jack up my GPU's fan to 75% while playing this game or the card heats up very quickly. Mind you, i have a GTX 590, and the game runs pretty bad when shadows are enabled .. very disappointing.

Just displays your severe lack of knowledge. Try again. LOL

Well, it's not new, and you've got a CPU known for kicking out quite a bit of heat.

I have the exact same card. However, at the character selection screen, my card only reaches 65C. There is nothing abnormal about my system. In fact, my selection process for components puts a high value on the most common combinations of hardware.

So... since you have already concluded that the sole cause is the software, explain to me how it is that your copy of the game runs hotter than my copy of the game.

Or is it possible that there is some other variable that you're ignoring.

Huh.

Seems that your CPU seems to be working quite a bit harder on SWTOR than in that screenshot. Yeah, the CPU temperature is only slightly higher, but you have to remember that CPU coolers don't make heat disappear. They take heat from your CPU and transfer it to the air around the CPU. This is why really good CPU coolers (and you have a really good one) can actually make heat problems worse (for other components). If you have crap ventilation of your case, then all your CPU cooler is doing is acting as a really efficient case heater.

Your video card doesn't have a direct air intake. It sucks air from the case, so unless you give it an intake nearby, it may struggle to get "fresh" air for cooling. This gets even worse if you don't have good exhausts, too. Given your CPU cooler and the standard ATX layout, an upper-back or blowhole exhaust isn't going to be sufficient to pull air from the front of the case.

And with my experience with a Q9450 and an 8800GTS/G92, I can say that a single intake isn't sufficient to provide adequate cooling for both components when they are being stressed simultaneously. When that CPU cooler spools up to moderate levels, its going to be pulling enough air that you'll need more than a 120mm radius intake to supply air to your video card. I had a P182 with two intakes (one active, one passive) and a lower-flow CPU cooler and experienced temperatures similar to what you're seeing.

...with games that weren't SWTOR.

So... Since you're already uploading photos, why not give us a photo of the layout of your case, so we can try to figure out why your temperatures are rising so high?

You have a Q9550 CPU ?

Which has a stock Frequency of 2.83MHz with a VID of around 1.20v - 1.25v 'ish ?

... and yours is overclocked to 3.61MGhz with your VID ramped up to 1.300v ?

Nice catch.

The Yorkfields were already a hot chip, but they got pretty toasty when you bumped up their voltages. And again, the OP has a high quality cooler that is pulling all of that heat from the chip and putting it into the air.

If it's getting fully removed from the case, then he's probably starving the air flow to the video card. If its not, then he's dumping hot air across the back (and possibly the front) of the card.

Well, it's not new, and you've got a CPU known for kicking out quite a bit of heat.

I have the exact same card. However, at the character selection screen, my card only reaches 65C. There is nothing abnormal about my system. In fact, my selection process for components puts a high value on the most common combinations of hardware.

So... since you have already concluded that the sole cause is the software, explain to me how it is that your copy of the game runs hotter than my copy of the game.

Or is it possible that there is some other variable that you're ignoring.

Huh.

Seems that your CPU seems to be working quite a bit harder on SWTOR than in that screenshot. Yeah, the CPU temperature is only slightly higher, but you have to remember that CPU coolers don't make heat disappear. They take heat from your CPU and transfer it to the air around the CPU. This is why really good CPU coolers (and you have a really good one) can actually make heat problems worse (for other components). If you have crap ventilation of your case, then all your CPU cooler is doing is acting as a really efficient case heater.

Your video card doesn't have a direct air intake. It sucks air from the case, so unless you give it an intake nearby, it may struggle to get "fresh" air for cooling. This gets even worse if you don't have good exhausts, too. Given your CPU cooler and the standard ATX layout, an upper-back or blowhole exhaust isn't going to be sufficient to pull air from the front of the case.

And with my experience with a Q9450 and an 8800GTS/G92, I can say that a single intake isn't sufficient to provide adequate cooling for both components when they are being stressed simultaneously. When that CPU cooler spools up to moderate levels, its going to be pulling enough air that you'll need more than a 120mm radius intake to supply air to your video card. I had a P182 with two intakes (one active, one passive) and a lower-flow CPU cooler and experienced temperatures similar to what you're seeing.

...with games that weren't SWTOR.

So... Since you're already uploading photos, why not give us a photo of the layout of your case, so we can try to figure out why your temperatures are rising so high?

Good post =) i have 4 intakes >.> 2 exhausts at top of case and hydro cooler for cpu my desktops says nice and cool running TOR lol.

OP turn V-sync on and run your test again, it is quite clear you need to improve your case cooling you have a Twin Frozr II which is one of the best designed GPU coolers available and the fact the fan is needing to spin up to such a high speed show's there is something wrong. Edited by Iliena