The Case for an Alderaan Stronghold

Capella

Frankly, I don't care what planet a stronghold is on. I just want them to STOP...

* Putting starship hooks where you can't get to them without doing something insane.

* Making wide floorboards/wainscotting that prevents items from being placed against walls.

* Making low ceilings or dangling overhead cables that cut through tall objects.

* Placing hooks in a sloppy way, IE: slightly rotated, unevenly spaced, sticking out from the wall, etc.

* Putting few floor covering (rug) and ceiling hooks.

* Placing floor covering hooks in such a way that you can't put them under furniture arrangements.

* Grouping hooks so that the "room" reset feature works in unexpected and unhelpful ways.

* Putting Centerpiece hooks in tiny rooms where massive decorations don't fit or make any sense.

I would be overjoyed to have a high quality stronghold anywhere. Alderaan would be fantastic!

This.

I would be overjoyed to have a high quality stronghold anywhere. Alderaan would be fantastic!

Looking at the way the insides of Alderaan areas (House Thul, House Organa, et al) I think Alderaan would really match up well against your list of pet peeves.

I'm thinking very square construction. One big, central room (big enough to house a Starship Hook, should you desire) with an overlooking balcony. The balcony would be held up with a series of round pillars... but there would be room around the outside of the pillars for Large hooks. For the most part, walls would be very squared off. Flat wall coming down to a 90 degree angle with a flat floor. Grand double stairs up to the second floor... nice SQUARE rooms off the ring around the balcony. Perhaps a nice garden outside the fancy main doors.

...another idea. If you do the Bounty Hunter story, you can pick up the title Baron(ess). I was thinking it would be neat-o, if other classes could pick up noble titles as well. Perhaps unlocking 9/9 your Alderaan stronghold, and getting your Completion over 90% could unlock the title Count(ess).

I mean... I don't know why my Jedi Master can't take the title Empress, but maybe SWTOR thought too many people running around with that title might break the immersion some how.

#sign for a Alderaan stronghold.

I really love Alderaan, It's one of my favorite planets next Naboo and Manaan. I also like the Manaan SH,, but with all the white it's a bit too much sterile for my taste.

and btw: Naboo would be a perfect addition to the SWTOR galaxy because of it's Settlement history around 3900 BBY

I'm thinking very square construction. One big, central room (big enough to house a Starship Hook, should you desire) with an overlooking balcony. The balcony would be held up with a series of round pillars... but there would be room around the outside of the pillars for Large hooks. For the most part, walls would be very squared off. Flat wall coming down to a 90 degree angle with a flat floor. Grand double stairs up to the second floor... nice SQUARE rooms off the ring around the balcony. Perhaps a nice garden outside the fancy main doors.

...another idea. If you do the Bounty Hunter story, you can pick up the title Baron(ess). I was thinking it would be neat-o, if other classes could pick up noble titles as well. Perhaps unlocking 9/9 your Alderaan stronghold, and getting your Completion over 90% could unlock the title Count(ess).

This sounds great to me for an interior layout! The central room would be great for a ballroom, the square rooms on the side to serve as offices, bedrooms, etc. I'd love there to be a nice outdoor garden part where I can put topiaries and statuary, ideally with a small balcony looking out over it. Think the fantastic view from the Shining Star Cantina, pubside Alderaan.

I'm also pleased by how many people like this thread, I was afraid my original post was too long and detailed and would turn some people off. Also, since I started this, we've had the Umbara stronghold become unlocked via in-game activity. Therefore the idea of an Alderaan rep and quest to unlock it doesn't seem as farfetched as it did at the start.

Edited by Capella

• 1 year later...

DO IT RIGHT, Bioware!

Build it on TOP of a mountain. The whipping of the wind should ever be in our ears when we are up that high, too. All around us, we hear the whipping wind... with occasional snow flurries.

Make it a CASTLE with at least 4+ towering spires (super sky high) where we can have at least a living room size floor space in each one, AND PLENTY OF WINDOWS ON ALL SIDES of it, to gaze out upon, AND a walkway OUTSIDE of at least some of those windows ... AND AN OBSERVATION DECK above at least 1 of those spires. The towers should resemble shimmering crystalline glass-like reflectivity -- or, like the other castles in the planet. I WANT TO SEE "BIG RED" from my stronghold! lol

Include also a LARGE LAKE (up in the same mountains, right in or beside the stronghold with ALL of it accessible and hook-able like on Rishi -- maybe on the side of it)

A kind of "MOAT" with a switchable LASER LIGHT BRIDGE, and some turrets,

Maybe even an underground "safe house" with ominous portents against future laser planet destroying weapons ;)

Must also have THRANTA NESTS here and there, hither and yon, etc...

And plenty of SNOW and PINES / FIR trees ... and NONE of those gross bugs anywhere about... Our own hunting ground of vorn tigers would be nice though! :)

AND OUR OWN HERALDRY design, if we want it.

It should also have a spiral road leading up to it, from the base of the mountain, which might have a secret cave-side entrance to the 'basement' sanctuary, or some such, as well ;)

Add in an iced-over Wampa cavern, a SKI LIFT for the SWTOR version of downhill snow skiing ALA "STEEP" (another video game), AND a 4-car GARAGE for expandable 4- or 6-wheel ATV vehicles which we can ride around and chase down (or run over) the vorn tigers with lolllll)

Include a mountainside giant globular ion cannon of our own, with which to shoot at "strange looking moons" with, as an inside joke, as well ;)

DO IT RIGHT, Bioware!

Build it on TOP of a mountain. The whipping of the wind should ever be in our ears when we are up that high, too. All around us, we hear the whipping wind... with occasional snow flurries.

Make it a CASTLE with at least 4+ towering spires (super sky high) where we can have at least a living room size floor space in each one, AND PLENTY OF WINDOWS ON ALL SIDES of it, to gaze out upon, AND a walkway OUTSIDE of at least some of those windows ... AND AN OBSERVATION DECK above at least 1 of those spires. The towers should resemble shimmering crystalline glass-like reflectivity -- or, like the other castles in the planet. I WANT TO SEE "BIG RED" from my stronghold! lol

Include also a LARGE LAKE (up in the same mountains, right in or beside the stronghold with ALL of it accessible and hook-able like on Rishi -- maybe on the side of it)

A kind of "MOAT" with a switchable LASER LIGHT BRIDGE, and some turrets,

Maybe even an underground "safe house" with ominous portents against future laser planet destroying weapons ;)

Must also have THRANTA NESTS here and there, hither and yon, etc...

And plenty of SNOW and PINES / FIR trees ... and NONE of those gross bugs anywhere about... Our own hunting ground of vorn tigers would be nice though! :)

AND OUR OWN HERALDRY design, if we want it.

It should also have a spiral road leading up to it, from the base of the mountain, which might have a secret cave-side entrance to the 'basement' sanctuary, or some such, as well ;)

Add in an iced-over Wampa cavern, a SKI LIFT for the SWTOR version of downhill snow skiing ALA "STEEP" (another video game), AND a 4-car GARAGE for expandable 4- or 6-wheel ATV vehicles which we can ride around and chase down (or run over) the vorn tigers with lolllll)

Include a mountainside giant globular ion cannon of our own, with which to shoot at "strange looking moons" with, as an inside joke, as well ;)

I love the 4 car garage … room enough for a bass boat !! :D

Man … this would be nice !! I'm not sure about the castle design part … but the rest sound intriguing !! (Especially if it's a very modern setting !!

WE both agree on one thing for certain... Here's to hoping this one is a good one !!!

(do we get to see reviews before purchasing ? )

EDIT: hard to believe that this was originally posted 3 years ago!

Edited by OlBuzzard

Alrighty, let's dig in!

DEVS, For the sake of my sanity, please don't half *** this stronghold for I will punch you through my screen if you ruin it like Rishi.

No fake doors. No fake buildings. No fake paths that lead to nowhere. No fake islands that we can't get to due to exhaustion zones!

No stupid pvp zones that dismiss companions or dismount you from vehicles!

No incessant buzzing or chirping!

No piles of sporadic trash!

No unreachable starship hooks.

Put effort in to hook placement. Don't just slap whatever hook where ever you want! Always start with the largest and give us the ability to break each hook into smaller. Fill up all the available real estate with hooks. Let us decide where we want what! If you need help or reference, there are thousands of posts and threads with brilliant ideas and suggestions in the Stronghold section of the forums. Go to your community for feedback!

Increase x, y, z axis by -10 and +10.

Increase personnel capacity.

Remove holographic appearance of companions.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

so i watched the Livestream today (12-16-2019) and ... well ??

i already just said this on a Subreddit thread and i am gonna say it again:

It was very nice to finally see the full display of the new Alderaan Stronghold (i have wanted that for YEARS!!!!) but i am sad that they did not give anything else away. i would really have loved to know what they are thinking of doing during the next TWO years....

but A NEW GRAPHICS ENGINE (VULKAN or at least DX12???) with a new 64-bit LOW CPU LATENCY NON-FORKED client would be *********** NICE!!!!!!

and all that delay at the end when Keith finally came on stream was for NOTHING.... sigh

So i have finally seen (and toured around, being ACTUALLY THERE) the new Alderaan SH ON PTS yesterday... some thoughts:

A video producer said there is a "hidden ninth room" somewhere in the SH, that the community managers did not mention during the Livestream this past December 16th. I did not see any? WHAT "hidden, ninth room"????

Did anyone else see the hidden area / room in the cave, BEHIND the back stalagmites and egg hives??? Jump past them and you run into an INVISIBLE WALL there, but you can definitely see that that part of the cave keeps going back a ways. Not finished? We just cannot get past the invisible wall right now :(

I definitely never caught the blue-clickable stalagmite before. the one that allows you to change lighting or the native Killik population / worker drones, etc... I need to check that out again.

What i hate about this stronghold, is very few things.... what i love about it, is most everything else! :)

Number ONE (1), WHAT I REALLY and MAINLY wanted, is a few, VERY TALL TOWERS ...that we could walk or elevator up into, where we could have an OBSERVATION or GOOD VIEW of the surrounding countryside.... meh we never got that yet. (and i am talking SKY HIGH here!!! WE DO NOT HAVE THAT in the current PTS version!!! SAD!!! :( ) PLEASE BUILD AT LEAST FOUR HIGH TOWERS in this castle (they can be expansions but please leave AT LEAST ONE as a NON-expansion and part of the default main hall of the main part of the Stronghold). MAKE THEM AS TALL AS POSSIBLE so we can get a great view! And make the FLOOR SPACE in at least 1 of the towers, enough to fill a decent living room .... the rest can be "bedroom" sized, if you like, but we need AT LEAST ONE WIDE tower, and the rest can be "average" floor space sized. THE KEY and BEST PART of Alderaan (for those who like that planet) is THE VIEW!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT TO INDULGE IN THE VIEW!!!!! PLEASE give us a TALLER OVERLOOK in these towers that you might build anew.

Two, I really wanted a BALCONY version of a hallway on the SECOND FLOOR to place things on, a balcony version of the ground floor but just above it -- inside the main hall. Where we could look out over the ground floor, similar to the Capital palace on Coruscant, or the Capital building in ACTUAL ALDERAAN (Panteer castle i think it is called?)

Also, the main hall's STAINED GLASS is BUGGED. When you place rugs or floor decos over top of the shined-down image from the stained glass? THE RUGS COVER THE LIGHT IMAGES INSTEAD of the LIGHT IMAGES COVERING the RUGS and floor decos as IT SHOULD be, in "reality".... VERY FLAWED with the image the stained glass casts down on the floor if you can cover that image with a silly rug and it no longer shows! :(

Also, SOME PEOPLE DID COMPLAIN about the lack of viewing window-space BEHIND THE THRONE ROOM / throne area... that they want that "hump" to be GONE and for the window there to maybe be bigger. I WAS ONE OF THOSE who complained about that and i do not like that either. But not everyone i talked to on PTS had issues with it. It should be a TOGGLE at best.

I love the "greensward" of all the land and surrounding countryside. The cave is ok too.... But there needs to be more "Set default spawn" device locations littered all over the place. I presume there will be more once it is finished by devs. And there are NO hook points in any of the water areas, outside. That is sad. Rishi at least had those, IN the water.

Also, there is a giant VALLEY right down below the RUINS area, that has 2 ship hook points, that i can barely see the bottom-most one, but we have NO WALK-ABLE access down to.... so really, what is the freaking point of that, anyway????

All in all, the rest of it is beautiful .... it was my TOP DREAM for this game to have a SH on Alderaan and i still cannot believe it is almost here. BUT PLEASE, Bioware, PLEASE!!! Put in some high towers in the main castle, and a balcony area for the 2nd floor that overlooks the main hall. PLEASE?

I am saying this only from a personal and private perspective and not as a Guildmaster, where other people have also had very legit (other) concerns in that respect as well.

Edited by lightningseven

After looking at all the videos of the Alderaan stronghold, I honesty feel that it is a major letdown. The reason I say this is there was so much focus on the outside that there seems to have been almost nothing done with the inside of the building.

You have the man entry way and that a couple (I think it's 4) connecting rooms and a balcony for the main building. Honestly I think it would have been better if there would have been more rooms, bigger rooms, add a second floor to the place. Make it into an actual estate building.

On the outside we have a massive area to place stuff, a massive amount of hooks and everything else for outside. Honestly there is so much out there I have no idea how I could even fill it up. I just feel that if they had spent more time on the inside of the building this stronghold would be way better.