Fear of loseing a name

Britishbulldog

its looks like a number of euro servers have the same destination sever. If say my server (the paragus mining facility) is one of the last severs to have transfers and is going to the same destiation server as the previous servers. I have a strong feeling most of the names i have chosen for my characters (and thos i have in reserve) will be already taken or quite possibly get ninja'ed as soon as my server is in the transfer update. The fear that i will have to take a name like sample101 or sp00n is extremely depressing . The whole reason i pre orderd was to get a name that i really wanted (<----thats why its a big deal to me) and i chose a path in game that typified the name so its a huge part of that charicters identity.

Just wonderd if anyone has had this problem already or if anyone shared my fear. Also would like to read entertaing trolls about this subject :p

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its looks like a number of euro servers have the same destination sever. If say my server (the paragus mining facility) is one of the last severs to have transfers and is going to the same destiation server as the previous servers. I have a strong feeling most of the names i have chosen for my characters (and thos i have in reserve) will be already taken or quite possibly get ninja'ed as soon as my server is in the transfer update. The fear that i will have to take a name like sample101 or sp00n is extremely depressing . The whole reason i pre orderd was to get a name that i really wanted (<----thats why its a big deal to me) and i chose a path in game that typified the name so its a huge part of that charicters identity.

Just wonderd if anyone has had this problem already or if anyone shared my fear. Also would like to read entertaing trolls about this subject :p

Easy solution. Go to those destination servers and try making characters with those names yourself. Then you can be sure you reserve the ones you can, and are aware of the ones you can't... all before you ever transfer.

Easy solution. Go to those destination servers and try making characters with those names yourself. Then you can be sure you reserve the ones you can, and are aware of the ones you can't... all before you ever transfer.

^This is a good idea

Also, even if you can't secure the names you have now, you should be able to get something better than Spoon :)

Edited by OmySpy

Well as I stated in another name thread. BW should have done things a little different. The person keeping the name when transferring to a new server should be the one that has had the name the longest. If you created the toon just in the last minute to grab someone elses name you should not be allowed to keep it verses the account that has had the name since day one in early access.

i had bastila, mission, carth, adas and casey-hudson with the shan legacy

now i have bastilia, spryly, dont even rememebr carth's new name, addas and got to keep casey-hudson. new legacy name is skywalkêr

so yeah.... im super ticked off.

i was in beta since july, and was in 2st day of early access, got a six month recurring sub and legacy level 40...

i bet bastila, mission, carth and adas are level 1's one someones canceled account.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

i had bastila, mission, carth, adas and casey-hudson with the shan legacy

now i have bastilia, spryly, dont even rememebr carth's new name, addas and got to keep casey-hudson. new legacy name is skywalkêr

so yeah.... im super ticked off.

i was in beta since july, and was in 2st day of early access, got a six month recurring sub and legacy level 40...

i bet bastila, mission, carth and adas are level 1's one someones canceled account.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

Holy crap this post is funny :D

On a different game I lost a name I had forever and I sent a level 6 character that hadn't logged on in YEARS a bucket of money by mistake. So I understand the pain, maybe even more than most. But I'd rather pick another name than be myself on an empty server. Edited by Lady_Alyria

You can use any possible alt+number letters so Bastila can be Bàstila or Båstila or Bâstila. They can't all be taken.

Or you can put it on the 2nd a or both.

I have no idea why people continue to suggest this. "Tell B...stila", crap, how do I make that letter? Honestly.

Really, they should have had a 1 week time frame where name priority went to the first character with a name that was created, so long as the character is over level X (maybe 20) and game time was ever paid for or the account has been active within the last month. Something to prevent completely unused character names from taking priority. Oh well. Would be nice.

My server hasn't come up as either origin or destination, but seeing as there are only two east coast PvE destinations, mine probably won't be one of them.

Of course, I went to both of the destination servers we know about, and ALL my names are taken on BOTH destinations. Even though I stayed up all night and preordered the second it became available, headed to the server that BW assigned me, and took off work to be on the first second of early access to reserve my names, they're all gone. I knew I was going to have to change a couple, but all 8 gone? Everyone here is saying there are two options - A - suck it up and deal with it or B - stay on a dead server. I had no idea I would be so bummed about it, but as I can't muster up the desire to log in and have my characters' identities changed, I think I just chose option C - save 15$ a month.

You can use any possible alt+number letters so Bastila can be Bàstila or Båstila or Bâstila. They can't all be taken.

Or you can put it on the 2nd a or both.

I'm afraid, i can not type it without knowing the code... In chat, for example :(

Edited by Glower

Being on the Swiftsure which has a fairly healthy population, I thought I didn't have to worry about my character names, surely it was going to be a destination server.. I was wrong. I don't plan to transfer any time soon, but I need to get home and create some characters on my destination server to reserve my names and I'm stuck here at work for another four hours. :mad:

(Hopefully someone has my legacy name because I'd love to change that.)

Edited by RAVM

i dont see how going around making name holders on different destination servers will help,

wont it give BioWare a false reading on teh actual real number of people playing on these servers if people start making placeholders?

i dont see how going around making name holders on different destination servers will help,

wont it give BioWare a false reading on teh actual real number of people playing on these servers if people start making placeholders?

Well, Bioware made the problem to begin with so too bad for them. It's looking a lot like they set the cap artificially way too low at launch and now they're starting the process of cleaning up this giant mess.

Well, Bioware made the problem to begin with so too bad for them. It's looking a lot like they set the cap artificially way too low at launch and now they're starting the process of cleaning up this giant mess.

i hear ya,

sadly my server has still not been included so i fear all of my names will be taken :(

I was sorry to lose a bunch of names I liked having -- easily half my characters across 2 acc'ts needed changes after the xfer from VL to BC. Also lost one of my two Legacy names.

On the other hand, the alternative was to sit tight on a dying server currently undergoing a massive exodus. Even before the xfers, the PvP queues were pathetic, and finding a flashpoint or Ops group was getting really hard. Over the coming days and weeks, it'll only get worse. Gen chat will be nothing but "where is everybody?"

So, in the end, no real choice... had to move, and my guildies all agreed.

Honestly what's the big deal with having a couple repeat names anyway? My name is Matt, and I meet a lot of people named Matt, and I don't flip out when I see them. We do, after all, have different last names. And with Legacy names no two people will be alike. I'm not saying you should be allowed to make a new character with a taken name, but with server transfers it should be allowed.

I understand having to make people change legacy names, but it's really messed up to make people change character names they have become attached to.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sure excited about being "Skspftsk The Jklqqw Legacy" on my new server (probably The Fatman).

I love how Bioware bills (and sells) Swtor as a game about living your own personal epic story, with a name like that due to the naming convention used here. I'd say I feel bad for the people that preordered on the first day of Pre-orders because they promised the ability to reserve names. Sure, we could stay on our server, but lets be honest here. The best reason they have for consolidating all the pvp servers onto 1 per time zone, is so that they then don't need to worry about a Cross Server Warzone function. When you are getting instant que's, does it matter if their is 3 other games running concurrently, or 50?

Win for bioware?

^This is a good idea

Also, even if you can't secure the names you have now, you should be able to get something better than Spoon :)

they were just examples didnt want to brodcast my names :p

What's the big deal, it's a name, just find another name or use alt codes :rolleyes:.

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

Your name will be the same just with a cool symbol, no biggie.

Thanks for the Alt Codes thats really a load off my mind because the names i chose are not super common but theres a chance someone could have used them since in the past 3 months i have seen very similer names.

Im glad there are ppl who were attached to there names too. I knew some people wouldnt care. I wouldnt care if i saw 1 other person with the same name since our legacy names would be diffrent. Even if the destiation didnt like that we had the same name he could always opt to change it.