Star Wars Humans... and US.

Stenrik

Something that has always bothered me about the Star Wars universe is the existence of humans “a long time ago and far, far away.” And yet we have humans now on Earth... so did WE come from THEM somehow? But we have a fossil record here on earth, so maybe we just look like them in coincidence? I know parallel evolution is used a lot in Sci-fi to explain varations of humans, but to me a common ancestor just makes so much more sense.

Or maybe we were seeded by the Star Wars galaxy humans. I heard that there was a book that explains how Earth was colonated by a group of physicists that accidentally teleported themselves here, but I don't know the title. Also even if it does exist, how does it explain our fossil record?

And how long ago do you think “a long time ago” is, exactly? Millions of years? Perhaps... billions?

Finally, what are the Star Wars humans up to right now, in the present? Have they all died off due to natural civilization decay? Have all the planets we know and love dried up due to all their stars supernova-ing? Perhaps the distant decendants of Luke and friends are now living in a different Galaxy...

So what are your thoughts?

Edited by Stenrik

Something that has always bothered me about the Star Wars universe is the existence of humans “a long time ago and far, far away.” And yet we have humans now on Earth... so did WE come from THEM somehow? But we have a fossil record here on earth, so maybe we just look like them in coincidence? I know parallel evolution is used a lot in Sci-fi to explain varations of humans, but to me a common ancestor just makes so much more sense.

Or maybe we were seeded by the Star Wars galaxy humans. I heard that there was a book that explains how Earth was colonated by a group of physicists that accidentally teleported themselves here, but I don't know the title. Also even if it does exist, how does it explain our fossil record?

And how long ago do you think “a long time ago” is, exactly? Millions of years? Perhaps... billions?

Finally, what are the Star Wars humans up to right now, in the present? Have they all died off due to natural civilization decay? Have all the planets we know and love dried up due to all their stars supernova-ing? Perhaps the distant decendants of Luke and friends are now living in a different Galaxy...

See them like the Rakata, theyre an ancient high tech Race that eclipses everything with their technology, something comes and wipes them out, in the rakatas case a plague, and left only Remnants and ruins of their once Great civilisation left

See them like the Rakata, theyre an ancient high tech Race that eclipses everything with their technology, something comes and wipes them out, in the rakatas case a plague, and left only Remnants and ruins of their once Great civilisation left

That's actually exactly what happened in Halo to the Ancient Humans!

So you're saying that we're the remnants of their civilization... Which I might buy if it weren't for our fossil record proving that we evolved here on Earth.

Though I can see some kind of seeding project explaining it... (A guided process, like in 2001: A Space Odyssey).

I did stumble across this explanation though (original link: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/4073/why-are-there-humans-in-the-star-wars-universe/11999#11999)

There's one hypothesis that IMHO makes the most sense (it's one of several that have already been mentioned). On the other hand, making sense is not necessarily a prerequisite for accuracy in the Star Wars universe.

That hypothesis is that some unknown alien species, for some unknown reasons, brought humans from Earth to Coruscant in the distant past, where they built a civilization and spread out to the rest of the Star Wars galaxy.

In our reality, there is ample evidence that humans evolved independently here on Earth. There's been plenty of fiction that has humans being introduced on Earth from elsewhere, but that doesn't fit in with the known fossil record and our genetic similarity to all the other species on Earth.

In the Star Wars universe, the origin of humans is unknown. The most widely accepted theory is that they evolved on Coruscant and spread out from there, but that's difficult to verify; Coruscant is so over-built that archaeology is impractical.

According to this timeline, Coruscant was completely covered by its principal city 100,000 years before the events of Episode IV. Anatomically modern humans appeared about 200,000 years ago. That leaves 100,000 years to be split between (a) time for the human colonists on Coruscant to build their planet-covering city, and (b) time to account for the "a long time ago" in the opening credits.

Humans on Coruscant developed an interstellar civilization much more quickly than Earth humans have, but that could be explained by the influence of whoever brought them to Coruscant.

This assumes that "a long time ago" is relative to our current time. If instead it's relative to the time of the story's hidden narrator, we have a lot more flexibility. Future Earth humans could develop interstellar, and then intergalactic travel, and establish a colony on Coruscant without outside help. Some disaster could then cause them to lose their historical records; as they recover, they build a new interstellar civilization, the one that we see in the movies.

Pulling some numbers out of the air, we could have:

1977: Humans on Earth watching science fiction movies.

2200: Humans have developed interstellar and intergalactic travel.

2500: Humans colonize a planet that will later be called Coruscant.

3000: Human civilization on Coruscant goes through a crisis that results in a loss of historical knowledge.

10,000: Human civilization on Coruscant has recovered and built a single dense city covering the entire planet.

110,000: Battle of Yavin

200,000: The civilization that (re)started on Coruscant has now spread to other galaxies. Someone produces an epic historical drama about the events that happened 90,000 years previously, "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away".

200,100: The script for this drama falls first into a black hole, then into the hands of George Lucas on 20th century Earth.

201,977: Contact with Earth is re-established. Descendants of Coruscant humans see the original Star Wars. The temporal paradox causes the Universe to vanish in a puff of logic.

Note that some of this is just a little bit speculative.

So there's definitely some cool theories out there. But I'm just curious if we have any word from Lucas (or Lucas Arts/whatever) about this. Yeah yeah, I know, Star Wars is more "fantasy in space" than "science fiction" but I do think it's a large enough IP that we have the right to know something...

Edited by Stenrik

Who cares?

Maybe they just look like humans.

Maybe they look nothing like humans, and it's just a "translation convention" to call them humans and make them look human to make them relatable to a human audience.

Really, the Star Wars galaxy is so "long time ago and far far away" that it doesn't really matter. It's like trying to figure out how humans got to Ravenloft, or the Forgotten Realms, or Eberron, or Azeroth, or Norrath, or Westeros, or Ivalice, or Cocoon and Gran Pulse, or Thedas.

Or its just that we needed to see something familiar in a Universe full of alien races. I mean, its difficult to get the audience to connect to main characters when they're a different species altogether.

There's also nothing in Star Wars that ties its universe to ours. It could just be a completely different reality that just so happens to also have humans and various off-shoots of humans.

Edited by Seisaan

They were actually going to do a book about how human exist in the sw universe. Basically it involved the 25th century, a wormhole, and time travel. It was cancelled though. I forgot what it was supposed to be called

Edit: here it is http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Exodus

Glad that got cancelled. The premise. . . sounds iffy, but may have been done well enough to make it work. But the idea of really connecting the Star Wars galaxy to ours in a fundamental way undermines some of the mystery of Star Wars.

Well. It actually would make sense if there was an alien species that "dropped us off" here.

Earth is only 4.6-4.7 billions years old. And we have "runway's" in Egypt.

Wouldn't surprise me, wouldn't surprise me if Lucas was one of them either. The one dude they didn't like and dropped him off with us...

He's always talking about how he views SW different than the rest of the entire globe....

^Just Kidding.

Simple answer...

It's a work of fantasy that requires a level of suspension of disbelief and simple acceptance of what you're seeing.

Try to throw too much science and rationalisation of what you see and read within the confines of that fictional universe, and it starts to get ridiculous.

Simple answer...

It's a work of fantasy that requires a level of suspension of disbelief and simple acceptance of what you're seeing.

Try to throw too much science and rationalisation of what you see and read within the confines of that fictional universe, and it starts to get ridiculous.

Agreed, not sure why people have to try and add real Science to Sci-Fi.

Or maybe it was only a movie.

Alternate universe, seperate from everything else?

Trying to fit everything together is just a pain with these things...

I know a guy who insists that Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, Warhammer 40K, Star Wars etc. Is all the same universe, just in different galaxies and planets. So you could take your spelljammer, go pick up some lightsabers, kill some Eldars and Space Marines then party with Drizzt and Lord Soth all night long.

Edited by TScott

It's quite simple really. The monkeys from that galaxy were long ago sent into space by the Rakata just as they were starting to develop the technology for space travel. After millions years, these rockets landed on Earth and evolved into us. The reason we have these stories is because George Lucas used his very own Millenium Falcon to travel, with his sister Melissa Mathison, to Earth back in 1947 and crashed. After his ship was confiscated and he escaped the clutches of the military, he laid in wait for almost 30 years when he finally told us this amazing story of what happened in his civilization.

The story of E.T. though is also a tale from Melissa about how the galactic police of their time, the Children of the Green Planet, came to Earth to bring back Lucas and Mathison to face charges of treason. Unfortunately, their agent was found by a little boy who the agent fell deeply in love with. After the agent was unable to find evidence of them still being here, he left, leaving the love of his life behind.

However, George Lucas has continued to tell the tales of his civilization by using his strange alien technology to implant the ideas into the minds of those we now know as the authors and creators of the EU. To avoid making it obvious he is doing this though, he sticks to denying them as part of "his universe," making the movies the highest form of canon and making all others essentially nothing but fan fiction.

So, the story of Revan, the story of Marka Ragnos, Mara Jade, and all other characters are true stories of his civilization. To avoid suspicion, he just does whatever necessary to make it seem like he has no real connection with them.

Oh, by the way, George Lucas is also a Jedi, he is actually Luke Skywalker. Here is the proof too. His last name is Lucas, which can be shortened into Luke. George happens to be derived from the Greek word Georgios. Obviously, this links to Luke Skywalker as he was a farmer. Skywalker was chosen because Lucas is an alien, which we could consider to be walkers of the sky.

So, that is the tale of Star Wars and it's connection to us.

Alternate universe, seperate from everything else?

Trying to fit everything together is just a pain with these things...

I know a guy who insists that Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lance, Warhammer 40K, Star Wars etc. Is all the same universe, just in different galaxies and planets. So you could take your spelljammer, go pick up some lightsabers, kill some Eldars and Space Marines then party with Drizzt and Lord Soth all night long.

Well, Lord Soth WAS pretty much a copy of Darth Vader, created by Weiss and Hickman. Btw, only Greyhawk, Dragon Lance, Darksun, and Forgotten Realms can be reached by Spelljammer. Any real geek can tell you that. :D

And I just had a Sheldon moment. Doh! :eek:

Edited by Captain_Zone

what says we came form earth? the 90% DNA mash to monkeys that come form the mother DNA that just 10% of or there DNA? co's some fish has a fin that could be like or arms? who to say moneys did not come form space? or that fish did

how about that line in ep 1, to the gungons you and the (humans) form a simbot... what ever I can't spell lol! you think the humans on Nabo came form Nabo or space? co's the only way that works is if they evolved on Nabo.... they did not by the way

Edited by westraz

how about that line in ep 1, to the gungons you and the (humans) form a simbot... what ever I can't spell lol!

Symbiotic.

"Sim-bee-ot-ik".

Basicly, the life and wellbeing of one thing is dependant upon another that relies on the first one at the same time.

Going off on a tangent here;

According to Episode 1 all life, the Force and the midichlorians are symbiotic with eachother.

Qui-Gon says that "Without the midichlorians, life could not exist".

No midichlorians -> no life -> no Force.

Symbiosis and symbiotic relationships are pretty much the dominant running theme of the Prequel Trilogy.

Do you realize that this was made up...:eek:

Simple answer...

^^ this... I totally agree...