Rouge One - First Impressions

t-darko

Well think about how the Falcon caused problems for the Star Destroyers in ESB. Or how slowly the Star Destroyer left Jedah. Star Destroyers, like all large craft, are not very maneuverable. When they get close together bad things happen.

Eh the Falcon didn't push an ISD, they made two collide briefly but the crew was able to take evasive action and avoid that. The crew aboard the disabled ISD couldn't do so because well...disabled.

Also your previous post, yes the AT-ACT are weaker than AT-ATs. The latter has already shown in Canon to tank laser cannons from starfighters and torpdeos.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my thoughts about the movie( Rogue One).

. Good movie.

. The story that it was telling did not need to be told.

. I cared more about the scenes with Darth Vader, than I did any other character or scene.

. They should of focused more on IP man and his force worship.

. Vader reminds us why Kylo Ren is a bad character compared to him. The officer that had to confront Vader looked like he wanted to cry. Was there anyone in TFA that acted remotely afraid of Kylo?

Edited by cool-dude

. Vader reminds us why Kylo Ren is a bad character compared to him. The officer that had to confront Vader looked like he wanted to cry. Was there anyone in TFA that acted remotely afraid of Kylo?

This has nothing to do with Vader being better character than Ren. Ren was never supposed to be all powerfull experienced menacing Sith lord.

Ren was an insecure young boy, who wore the mask to command respect and fear, but never being quite as bad*ss as he would like. I think Adam Driver made it work brilliantly, and to be honest, Ren is far more interesting character than Vader ever was.

Vader in original trilogy looked bad*ss because of the design of his armor and his voice, but other that that, he wasn't exactly interesting as a person, as we never really knew much about him. Especially in ep. 4. In ep. 5+6 Lucas tried to give him at least some personality, but he was still underdeveloped at best. And when it comes to prequel trilogy Anakin, the whole thing was a disaster. Just a whiny annoying brat with IQ 70, falling for the most obvious manipulations and being unbearable overall.

Edited by PanVlk

This has nothing to do with Vader being better character than Ren. Ren was never supposed to be all powerfull experienced menacing Sith lord.

Ren was an insecure young boy, who wore the mask to command respect and fear, but never being quite as bad*ss as he would like. I think Adam Driver made it work brilliantly, and to be honest, Ren is far more interesting character than Vader ever was.

Vader in original trilogy looked bad*ss because of the design of his armor and his voice, but other that that, he wasn't exactly interesting as a person, as we never really knew much about him. Especially in ep. 4. In ep. 5+6 Lucas tried to give him at least some personality, but he was still underdeveloped at best. And when it comes to prequel trilogy Anakin, the whole thing was a disaster. Just a whiny annoying brat with IQ 70, falling for the most obvious manipulations and being unbearable overall.

You forgot to put "in my opinion"

I'm really hoping that the crew of Rogue One and the Hammerhead corvette that rammed into a Star Destroyer get posthumously awarded the Medal of Bravery (the one Han, Luke and Chewbacca got) at some point, even if it's just a quick mention in an Ultimate Visual Guide.

Sure, Luke made the one-in-a-million shot that destroyed the station and Han and Chewie covered him while he did it, but none of it would've been possible without Rogue One's sacrifice in transmitting the Death Star plans and its sole weakness. And the plans couldn't have been transmitted at all without the sacrifice of the crew of the Lightmaker, the Hammerhead-class corvette that destroyed the shield gate by dropping two Star Destroyers on top of it and was destroyed ensuring the ramming maneuver was successful.

The only use i found for this movie is making me wanna play my new Sith Warrior more, cus of the Vader scenes.

Other than that, it's meh.

If they are gonna explore every little insignificant nook and cranny of the events and characters connected with the original movies the Disney Star Wars future doesn't seem bright, quality wise, imo.

If they are gonna make any movies outside of the new Trilogy i wish it was about Bane and his apprentice (hopefully they will keep Zannah). Though the chance is small to none existent because the vast majority of SW fans are not into what is now Legends, even if their curiosity might slightly be picked cus Bane appeared in that Clone Wars episode.

Edited by Kaedusz

The only use i found for this movie is making me wanna play my new Sith Warrior more, cus of the Vader scenes.

Other than that, it's meh.

If they are gonna explore every little insignificant nook and cranny of the events and characters connected with the original movies the Disney Star Wars future doesn't seem bright, quality wise, imo.

If they are gonna make any movies outside of the new Trilogy i wish it was about Bane and his apprentice (hopefully they will keep Zannah). Though the chance is small to none existent because the vast majority of SW fans are not into what is now Legends, even if their curiosity might slightly be picked cus Bane appeared in that Clone Wars episode.

The difficulty with doing Bane isn't that it's mostly part of Legends, but that it would be a movie mostly about a villain, and this would probably be an issue for Disney and the good/bad light/dark dichotomy of Star Wars in general

The difficulty with doing Bane isn't that it's mostly part of Legends, but that it would be a movie mostly about a villain, and this would probably be an issue for Disney and the good/bad light/dark dichotomy of Star Wars in general

that too

Villain is what you make of it.

There's plenty of other villainous types in the SWU that could oppose an otherwise usually seen villain that is actually the hero in the story.

They did Maleficent.

And Bane made an appearance in the TCW final six episodes. So Bane himself is canon at the very least.

Edited by psandak

They did Maleficent.

And Bane made an appearance in the TCW final six episodes. So Bane himself is canon at the very least.

Yep exactly, Bane is canon, and there's also a chance that Revan could soon be too with rumors going around that he may be making an appearance in season 3 rebels.

But even though he may be canon and awesome for a standalone Disney film I still think this is something Disney would want to prevent. I say this because I mean look at Rogue One, the only connection to the canon of star wars was one sentence in the intro of ep 4. This gives them the freedom to write up whatever story they want and it doesn't run the risk of upsetting any of the fans by not fulfilling what we expect. So I'm guessing that the next two standalones are going to be a story with little to do with canon.

Yep exactly, Bane is canon, and there's also a chance that Revan could soon be too with rumors going around that he may be making an appearance in season 3 rebels.

But even though he may be canon and awesome for a standalone Disney film I still think this is something Disney would want to prevent. I say this because I mean look at Rogue One, the only connection to the canon of star wars was one sentence in the intro of ep 4. This gives them the freedom to write up whatever story they want and it doesn't run the risk of upsetting any of the fans by not fulfilling what we expect. So I'm guessing that the next two standalones are going to be a story with little to do with canon.

Well the next is supposed to be a "Han Solo: the early years" movie.

And I am not sure what you mean by "little to do with canon." Disney has stated outright that anything produced by them in the Star Wars Universe is canon. So Rogue One is now canon. The next standalone movie (whatever it is) will be canon and so will every movie, TV series episode and book going forward.

Well the next is supposed to be a "Han Solo: the early years" movie.

And I am not sure what you mean by "little to do with canon." Disney has stated outright that anything produced by them in the Star Wars Universe is canon. So Rogue One is now canon. The next standalone movie (whatever it is) will be canon and so will every movie, TV series episode and book going forward.

Yes every new content from Disney is canon that's not what I meant, I just couldn't phrase it properly, just replace canon with the expanded universe or legends.

And is the Han Solo movie just rumors or official? That would be awesome.

Yes every new content from Disney is canon that's not what I meant, I just couldn't phrase it properly, just replace canon with the expanded universe or legends.

And is the Han Solo movie just rumors or official? That would be awesome.

Yep it's happening. Even talk now of a Boba Fett stand alone and possibly a Lando Calrissian movie. Could even see the Famous Sabaac hand that won Han the Falcon.

Yet, there are rumors about Boba Fett getting a spin-off movie.

Edited by cool-dude

Hiya Dutch, Don't forget The Rule of Two, with Bane made canon in TCW so was also the Notion of what Yoda spoke of in the PTs "... always two there is, A Master and Apprentice." or somewhat rather, I believe the concept of The Rule of Two as a name was legends before TCW the lost missions.

And I believe that The Rule of Two, along with Bane is a Story that actually needs to be told as Disney Canon unfolds. Ok, might not be a stand alone but Bane as a vital part, along with The Rule of Two, of the Who's, Why's and What's of both the PT, OT and Post OT continuation.

/

Edit; on another note; reading some post prior to this discussion. The letdown anyone would feel if both TFA and Rogue One didn't fall to one's liking must be hopeless, given the obvious contrast between the two movies. Still, Legend is out there, Fan written stories as well, but it would be interesting to know, how it should looked instead.!?

/

Edited by t-darko

A movie about Bane would require deep exploration of Dark Side and Sith philosophy and metaphysical aspects because they will have to explain why the Rule of Two was created and what was Bane's reasoning for creating it. What was wrong with the incarnation of Sith during Bane's time, etc...

Sort of like when Yoda and Obi-Wan first told us about the Force and its Light Side but much more elaborated.

That might be too much for a Disney movie to do, for obvious reasons, hence i don't have much hope about a proper Bane movie. Not to mention that 1 movie isn't gonna be enough. There will have to be a trilogy, the same way it was with the Bane books.

Edited by Kaedusz

A movie about Bane would require deep exploration of Dark Side and Sith philosophy and metaphysical aspects because they will have to explain why the Rule of Two was created and what was Bane's reasoning for creating it. What was wrong with the incarnation of Sith during Bane's time, etc...

No argument there . . .

Sort of like when Yoda and Obi-Wan first told us about the Force and it's Light Side but much more elaborated.

Indeed . . .

That might be too much for a Disney movie to do, for obvious reasons, hence i don't have much hope about a proper Bane movie. Not to mention that 1 movie isn't gonna be enough. There will have to be a trilogy, the same way it was with the Bane books.

To quote another thread; This got franchise milking potential, don't underestimate the will and mind of those who want to make a Buck load of credits;)

On a serious note; I dont think your not that far of in your reasoning, an elaboration of the Darkside is required in my mind, with the event in TFA, Snoke, Knights of Ren, Luke's self enforced exile, Vader how he is portrayed in both Rogue One and Rebels. I think Disney recognize the Fanbase of the Empire, the Dark sides potential as reasoned above, but foremost at the time of E8 an elaboration of the Dark side will be required.

But you got a point will it be a Bane movie/s? well that's the question?!

As far as I am aware, the Bane Trilogy does not conflict with the New Canon. Ruusan, Rakata Prime, etc are all Canon, and there are no Dark Side Force Ghosts (only Holocrons). The only thing I can think of that might be a problem are Orbalisks, and maybe some Sith Alchemy. I don't remember the whole trilogy.

Bane was created by Lucas. Lucas outlined the character for Karpyshyn, who wrote the books. Honestly, I think those books need to be made canon.

~ Eudoxia

As far as I am aware, the Bane Trilogy does not conflict with the New Canon. Ruusan, Rakata Prime, etc are all Canon, and there are no Dark Side Force Ghosts (only Holocrons). The only thing I can think of that might be a problem are Orbalisks, and maybe some Sith Alchemy. I don't remember the whole trilogy.

Bane was created by Lucas. Lucas outlined the character for Karpyshyn, who wrote the books. Honestly, I think those books need to be made canon.

~ Eudoxia

Force Ghosts aren't really that much of a problem anyway, we are going solely on Yoda's word that there are no such thing as dark side force ghosts. Dinsey and friends could easily change there mind on it

And the nightsisters we see in Rebels seem pretty force ghost-ish to me. They even have the same weakness as mnay dark side ghosts (that is, bound to a specific area or object)

Force Ghosts aren't really that much of a problem anyway, we are going solely on Yoda's word that there are no such thing as dark side force ghosts. Dinsey and friends could easily change there mind on it

And the nightsisters we see in Rebels seem pretty force ghost-ish to me. They even have the same weakness as mnay dark side ghosts (that is, bound to a specific area or object)

They've already stated that they won't be doing Dark Side force ghosts several time because that was part of Lucas' original vision.

~ Eudoxia

They've already stated that they won't be doing Dark Side force ghosts several time because that was part of Lucas' original vision.

~ Eudoxia

Considering how often GL himself changed his vision, I don't think that means much. If Disney decides they want t ogo down that road, they'll do it in a heartbeat.