An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Mind Trick

Aurbere

"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."- Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

We continue our look at Force powers with the Jedi Mind Trick. Our study will focus on the masterful abilities in this area of Jedi Master Yarael Poof. Master Poof discusses Mind Trick in the Asli Krimsan Holocron...

Imagine you are on a mission that requires you to discreetly infiltrate a secured building. Despite your efforts at stealth, you are sighted by an armed guard. Ah, an oppurtunity for affect mind! But with so many oppurtunities to choose from, what is a Jedi to do?

Before you answer, consider this: While the guard may prove to be an obstacle, he is also a living being. He may not be menacing by nature, merely an employee or servant. He may have a family, others who care about him. had you met him under different circumstances, you might have discovered him to be a friend and ally.

What to do then? Make him see you as a small, unthreatening creature? Make him go to sleep, or forget he saw you at all? Hypnotically suggest that you have leapt away from where you are standing, and encourage the guard to chase the apparition you have created? Project a frightening image that will cause him to flee?

All these things could very well work, young Jedi, but have you considered the consequences? What if the guard enjoys shooting at small, unthreatening creatures? What if his species is physically incapable of sleep? What if he forgets he saw you, but the fact that he unwittingly allowed you to pass will cost him his job or his life? What physical trauma will he suffer if he chases your apparition into a solid wall of rock? What if you strike such fear in hum that he dies on the spot, or forgets the nature of gravity as he tries to escape over the edge of the nearest cliff?

I need not lecture that you are responsible for your decision and actions. However, I will reming you that any course will leave a wake, and that even the smallest ripple can cause death. I also will remind you that you have yet to resolve that problem with the guard.

Makes you wish you had been more stealthy, yes?*

Jedi Master Poof was a master of the mind trick ability and master illusionist. He was capable of using the Force to make himself invisible to his fellow Jedi. He could determine the natures and fears of an opponent and could create mass illusions that could be perceived by entire armies. His abilities created quick ends to battles.

The Jedi Mind Trick utilizes several abilities to affect the minds of others. A combination of receptive empathy, projected empathy and hypnosis allow a Jedi to hold the minds of others in their hands. Whether to block their senses, implant false memories or even completely wipe their memories.

The mind is a fragile thing and can be easily damaged, no matter how careful you are in your manipulations. One must be ever aware of the consequences of using affect mind. But there are certain species that are naturally immune to mind trick. Hutts and Toydarians are among them.

There are ways to resist affect mind. Jedi and Sith can create a wall of the Force to prevent mind-influencing abilities. Non-Force users have more difficulty, but there are ways to protect oneself. This usually involves special training, like the training Atton Rand received from Darth Revan's Sith Empire. But even training can't stop an extremely persistent user of Mind Trick. Eventually, a powerful Jedi can break the wall projected by others.

The use of mind trick is common practice for most Jedi, and new generations of Jedi are taught to use mind trick as part of their basic training in the Force.

*With the options given, what would you have done?

I hope you all enjoyed our look at the Jedi Mind Trick. Next we look at Telekinesis and Count Dooku's mastery of it.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

Very interesting, I would make him forget I saw him - yes it could cost him his life but I'm already infiltrating the building anyway and with plans of getting past him, so that outcome would not change.

Kreia also seems pretty proficient in the mind trick, e.g. when she fooled Mical into thinking she wasn't even on the ship and when she probed into Atton's mind, despite it being shielded. Guess it shows mind tricks don't only work on the weak minded, and is battle meditation of form of mind trick?

Very interesting, I would make him forget I saw him - yes it could cost him his life but I'm already infiltrating the building anyway and with plans of getting past him, so that outcome would not change.

Kreia also seems pretty proficient in the mind trick, e.g. when she fooled Mical into thinking she wasn't even on the ship and when she probed into Atton's mind, despite it being shielded. Guess it shows mind tricks don't only work on the weak minded, and is battle meditation of form of mind trick?

I think I would make him forget he saw me as well. It would probably be the best route to take, imo.

Kreia is naturally deceptive and manipulative. She is also persistent with affect mind, willing to risk damage to the victim to get in their head. A very proficient user of mind trick can break through the mental defenses of an opponent and get at the information they seek.

As for Battle Meditation. It seems to have similarities to affect mind. Mind Trick and affect mind are similar, but Battle Meditation leans closer to affect mind. It influences the minds of allies and enemies, boosting morale for allies, and diminishing it for enemies. It's more of an affect mind on a grand scale.

• 1 month later...
You pose an intriguing question. I would probably take a chance on his ability to sleep. Most species do sleep, so chances are good that he would pass out then and there. Had he been shooting at me, though, I definitely would have sabered him to death.

Interesting. While you could take him out with your Lightsaber, there are other ways to incapacitate a guard. But then again, the alarm would have been raised at that time. That would force more direct action. You would still be able to incapacitate the guard without killing him if necessary.