Need = BoP || Greed = BoL

Deewe

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like the original idea. It still needs a fix to the legacy gear "workaround" to really be effective.

As mentioned in the OP an item and the associated mods of an item rooled with BoP would be bound to the character. Not even the alts would be able to wear it nor use the mods.

Might be seen as too restrictive but there's a need for constraints.

I like the idea, since one would then take need if one actually needs it and when you get something you only greeded on but that this character doesn't need you can send it to an alt. I cannot understand how one can not like that idea, but I doubt it would happen, since that would require work from BioWare that does not directly or indirectly increase their income.

I like the idea, since one would then take need if one actually needs it and when you get something you only greeded on but that this character doesn't need you can send it to an alt. I cannot understand how one can not like that idea, but I doubt it would happen, since that would require work from BioWare that does not directly or indirectly increase their income.

I'm afraid short minded producers might agree with you, although long term it would certainly make the game more successful.

QoL changes are of a great deal to player retention.

I'm saying let people decide for themselves what to roll. And when you go into a group with a bunch of people you don't know, don't expect to win anything. If the gear matters that much to you, find a guild.

The only loot change I would accept for pugs is only allowing people to roll need until they win 1 item, then all of their rolls become greed automatically (or pass).

I see where you go here but it won't solve the problem either.

What if a really needed item spawns after a player needed on one more for the look?

Forget any changes, forget MMO etiquette because people will always need on items they do not need regardless of the system you put into place. It is human nature to WANT and want and WANT and want. Give this nature they will roll need regardless of their actual need.

The only solution is human intervention, by setting master looter and having them inspect each person before allowing need on an item. But wait I know this so bring a junk gear item with sub part mods so there I just broke that system as well.

Point being there will always be loot who&&s who will need regardless of actual need. If you can not accept this then there is no MMO that is suitable for you. I remember the days of EQ and loot distribution and no matter the system there is ways to break or work around it. Even if you BOP peeps will still need to gear their companions and then still need just out of habit and turn the item in and sell it for credits.

Forget any changes, forget MMO etiquette because people will always need on items they do not need regardless of the system you put into place. It is human nature to WANT and want and WANT and want. Give this nature they will roll need regardless of their actual need.

The only solution is human intervention, by setting master looter and having them inspect each person before allowing need on an item. But wait I know this so bring a junk gear item with sub part mods so there I just broke that system as well.

Point being there will always be loot who&&s who will need regardless of actual need. If you can not accept this then there is no MMO that is suitable for you. I remember the days of EQ and loot distribution and no matter the system there is ways to break or work around it. Even if you BOP peeps will still need to gear their companions and then still need just out of habit and turn the item in and sell it for credits.

Well then let them need an item and be stuck with them, being not able to put them on anything else than the character they looted it with, not even companions not even removing mods not even being able to sell them either.

The worst solution is human intervention.

I saw so many guilds and virtual friendships ruined in the past with loot distribution. And human intervention does not work at all in PUGS.

The best solution is somehow the DDO system, chests handle one item per character.

Edited by Deewe

I KIND of wished they had the option like they do for LFR in WoW, where every player has only their own roll to beat to get loot.

Even if they don't get gear, maybe some credits or something instead would suffice.

Course the only problem I see with this system is that all the gear would only pertain to the character you are rolling on, unless they allow you to mail BoP items...

Short version: make items how it binds be determined on how it was rolled on.

Long version:

• Need = BoP that you can only use on your character
    • Can't use it on companions
    • Can't use it on alts
    • Can't remove mods or eventually can only move them to the same character.
    • Can't sell it

[*]Greed = BoL

An option is to make BoL, once used, stuck to the character and its alts it has been used on.

Long term, there could be in game systems to unbind gear to allow one transfer between alts.

What you think?

No thanks. Considering we can put BOP gear on companions this would mess up a lot of players.

What you should be asking for is a BOL Conversion kit. No need to mess with the current system and potentially cause breaking bugs.

I KIND of wished they had the option like they do for LFR in WoW, where every player has only their own roll to beat to get loot.

Even if they don't get gear, maybe some credits or something instead would suffice.

Course the only problem I see with this system is that all the gear would only pertain to the character you are rolling on, unless they allow you to mail BoP items...

And that's the point: the loot goes in priority to the character you are playing.

Now not only you can agree with the players you are grouped with to /pass on a specific item you are /Greed on.

Then all /Greed items are still tradeable between group members for a short time after being looted.

If the person has a dread master token head (186) and rolls need on an underworld head to give it to one of their other characters then there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm sorry there's PLENTY wrong with that. Its greed pure & simple.

I was in a Ops the other night where someone was doing that, he won a couple of pieces, while im running around in 156's.

There are words for people like that. Lootwhores, or more simply, scum.

I'm sorry there's PLENTY wrong with that. Its greed pure & simple.

I was in a Ops the other night where someone was doing that, he won a couple of pieces, while im running around in 156's.

There are words for people like that. Lootwhores, or more simply, scum.

I agree, sick and tired of lootwhores..but in respect all this does is turn me into one as well. I now roll need on everything cause if you can't beat them join them.

i'd rather be part of the problem than be the dude who sits out in the cold on principle. So here's to chronic need key.

Need should = BoP (or it should), Simply bound... anything extracted from the "needed" item, is also bound. Anything a bound item is placed in also becomes bound. No transfers, no mailing... simply bound to that character. Vendor sale = 0.

Greed should = Bind on Equip. Items can be sold/transferred/traded or given away to passerby's that you like.

To the question; would you rather I brought my X instead of my geared Y... Yes.

I think we just should get rid of Need altogether. Everybody plays, everybody rolls. Guilds can help each other gear up by passing if they want to, pugs are just random gear runs. Lower levels of gear should allow set bonuses armorings to be bought with comms separately at a relatively high cost in commendations.

Need should = BoP (or it should), Simply bound... anything extracted from the "needed" item, is also bound. Anything a bound item is placed in also becomes bound. No transfers, no mailing... simply bound to that character. Vendor sale = 0.

Greed should = Bind on Equip. Items can be sold/transferred/traded or given away to passerby's that you like.

To the question; would you rather I brought my X instead of my geared Y... Yes.

Not sure for the vendor sale but I can understand to make the need button a real Need though.

And well your answer is indeed hidden in the topic ;)

I think we just should get rid of Need altogether. Everybody plays, everybody rolls. Guilds can help each other gear up by passing if they want to, pugs are just random gear runs. Lower levels of gear should allow set bonuses armorings to be bought with comms separately at a relatively high cost in commendations.

Design wise there's an issue with that as it would allow more easily to totally gear a character without it ever needing to have any challenge in game. Be it for PvE or PvP game play.

In a way it would ruin people experience as making the leveling path way too easy.

• 2 months later...

Was thinking how too often people wait for other to see how they roll before eventually needing and how we have to browse through the chat tab to see who did what and who got what, then how the loot chat it too verbose.

So how about the following:

- When an item is looted the item icon is displayed next to the character group UI tagged with the type of roll

- You can display an optional loot frame with the following for each object

[item icon] [character name getting the item] [type of roll]

- Clicking on the type of roll will expand the rolls of every character on this object

[character name] [type of roll] [won/not]

- Clicking on the character name will expand all rolls he did on all objects

[item icon] [type of roll] [won/not]

- You can ask for a recast provided you rolled greed and someone else rolled need

Or for Group Finder content, they could simply move to a personal loot system.

Boss dies, system decides if you get loot, no more rolling against each other, no more drama.

Actually, I don't personally like this option. Mainly because, there are times I specifically pass on gear I don't have a use for, but see others in the group that could use it.

I'll need on gear that is an upgrade to the gear on the character I am currently playing (not alts/comps/guildies, etc). If I see everyone rolling greed on an item I could use for another character/comp, I will ask if there are any objections to me rolling need on it for another character/comp. If there are, I roll greed like everyone else. It really comes down to communication.

I would also be ok with someone coming into the group, and asking up front "Hey trying to gear my BH, does anyone mind if I need on +AIM gear?" If there were another player who was leveling that needed +Aim, I would support them if they asked that the first person not need off-spec. The BH in the group should have priority.

I like the system as it is, when used correctly. When used incorrectly, or when there are differences of opinion on what "Need" means... thats where problems begin.

They need to move away from the "Bind on ..." crap, this is no longer 2004...

Innovation is needed, not the same old classic MMO design, which has been failing for EVERY MMO, except WoW since WoW was released. WoW came out and was such a success all MMO's designers have stopped trying to create something "new" and are stuck in this we must create the next WoW killer by copying WoW, with minor almost non existent changes.

Hint, if Star Wars WoW can't be the next WoW killer then nothing will as long as they all try and be WoW clones...

...that's a lot of WoW's, and I hate WoW

Short version: make items how it binds be determined on how it was rolled on.

Long version:

• Need = BoP that you can only use on your character
    • Can't use it on companions
    • Can't use it on alts
    • Can't remove mods or eventually can only move them to the same character.
    • Can't sell it

[*]Greed = BoL

No thank you.

OMG quit weeping on this topic, the gear that drops in flash points is not "all that" anyway, in fact by weeping about it you are basically telling us you are a new player with terrible gear.

For everyone else this gear is useless except to fill slots on comps that will never even be played.

Actually, I don't personally like this option. Mainly because, there are times I specifically pass on gear I don't have a use for, but see others in the group that could use it.

I'll need on gear that is an upgrade to the gear on the character I am currently playing (not alts/comps/guildies, etc). If I see everyone rolling greed on an item I could use for another character/comp, I will ask if there are any objections to me rolling need on it for another character/comp. If there are, I roll greed like everyone else. It really comes down to communication.

I would also be ok with someone coming into the group, and asking up front "Hey trying to gear my BH, does anyone mind if I need on +AIM gear?" If there were another player who was leveling that needed +Aim, I would support them if they asked that the first person not need off-spec. The BH in the group should have priority.

I like the system as it is, when used correctly. When used incorrectly, or when there are differences of opinion on what "Need" means... thats where problems begin.

I personally think it is the least bad option.

The problem is that while I play very similar to the way you seem to play, not all do the same.

Some are scared to even ask if they can have something, much less press the Need button, even if they really need the item for their character.

Others feel they have a claim on anything that drops, and will always roll need, even just for vendor credits. Many are somewhere between the two extremes.

The only system that removes personal loot biases and potential drama between players is an impersonal system that randomly provides loot to players with no bias.

Such a system should be used only for GF and possibly just SM content, the type of content that is designed to be assessable to all and for which solo queuing tools exist to participate.

Normal HM / NiM progression content would still allow the ops leader / group / guild to decide on loot rules and loot systems which work for them.

Edited by DawnAskham

I personally think it is the least bad option.

The problem is that while I play very similar to the way you seem to play, not all do the same.

Some are scared to even ask if they can have something, much less press the Need button, even if they really need the item for their character.

Others feel they have a claim on anything that drops, and will always roll need, even just for vendor credits. Many are somewhere between the two extremes.

The only system that removes personal loot biases and potential drama between players is an impersonal system that randomly provides loot to players with no bias.

Such a system should be used only for GF and possibly just SM content, the type of content that is designed to be assessable to all and for which solo queuing tools exist to participate.

Normal HM / NiM progression content would still allow the ops leader / group / guild to decide on loot rules and loot systems which work for them.

Funny you mention that cause hitting need isn't natural for me :)

I like a lot the suggestion for randomly distributed loot but then what to do with BoP?

I agree that Need should be BoP but it should work on companions, too, because everything else that's BoP does and I don't want to change the definition.

Greed doesn't need to be BoL. That's what you're supposed to roll when you don't intend to use the item yourself.

Of course, that's not going to change the behavior of the anti-social dorks that just want to ruin your day by taking your item from you. They'll still smash Need even if it's BoP. They already do that with boss drops.

Edited by DarthTHC