Colicoid War Game

This flash point needs some serious instructional prompt. My group entered this for the first time, expecting a PvE battle. Instead we open with 4 turrets. Well...that could be kind of cool. I'm all for something different.

We hop on, triggering the assault, and then promptly wipe because we have no idea how to shoot the damn things.

Given previous game play mechanics (i.e. PvE combat, space battles, etc.) we were trying to swivel with the mouse and shoot with the mouse buttons and/or space bar. Stupid us for assuming that Bioware would use established game play controls. Worse, using the mouse actually knocks you off the gun.

We wiped twice simply because we couldn't figure out the controls. A simple "Gun will auto fire. Swivel with movement keys" prompt before the battle started would have worked wonders.

Don't forget they also decided that for some reason you should take damage directly (instead of having like, a turret 'health' amount when you jump in) so dps players get wrecked by the ranged colicoids pretty quickly.

Why are there even 4 turrets if the winning strategy is for the healer to not even use one?

I'm sure glad this flashpoint doesn't have a hardmode version. The turret fights are not done well and there's no way in hell I would want to explain the puzzle portion to a pug groupie each time. At least the last bit was straight tank and spank, total relief to reach that far.

Time spent on this instance and reward for it were pretty out of whack. Was a rough ride, kind of a thrill to even beat it at all, which is worth something, but I certainly didn't want to repeat it ever.

Don't forget they also decided that for some reason you should take damage directly (instead of having like, a turret 'health' amount when you jump in) so dps players get wrecked by the ranged colicoids pretty quickly.

Why are there even 4 turrets if the winning strategy is for the healer to not even use one?

I'm sure glad this flashpoint doesn't have a hardmode version. The turret fights are not done well and there's no way in hell I would want to explain the puzzle portion to a pug groupie each time. At least the last bit was straight tank and spank, total relief to reach that far.

Time spent on this instance and reward for it were pretty out of whack. Was a rough ride, kind of a thrill to even beat it at all, which is worth something, but I certainly didn't want to repeat it ever.

Yeah - as the tank I was wondering how to protect our healer in that scenario. I ended up shooting my bugs and then desperately aimed at some of his to help, but this is a mess from the first encounter.

Practice makes perfect is one thing, but when it takes 1500-2000 gold each death to repair your eq, and the deaths are largely because of lack of tool tips and overall quest design, forget it. Dying because of poor team work is one thing. I can accept that. Dying because the developers don't tell you the custom controls for their mini game(s) is just badly done.

I like the idea of this flash point (heck - once I understood the controls, I was having a ton of fun), but the execution...boy. Sadly, we never did get past the first encounter. Half the group quit straight away out of frustration. I cringe to think what the rest is like.

Edited by Tylthul

Its better. Do it again, recommend it. For me it drops the best looking hat in the game. I'm going to get it for myself next time. (Mind you I love silly hats)

We got destroyed many times trying it, never cottoned on to the healer actually healing. When we did, it took a few tries and all was good. There are strategies for healing it too, I didn't catch on the first point but by the second turrent battle I had and it was much easier.

The puzzles are easy, if we can get it immediately without guides then a PUG could do it too. Some of the mechanics could DEFINITELY be fine tuned though and there are a few areas that really cause unnecessary frustration.

All I can say is persevere. Get that healer on top of that thing in the middle of the turrets have them figure out how to keep you guys healed, put your strongest people on either side of the turret that isn't manned and take the droids out first.

I agree there should be a basic instruction to start but I found this FP extremely fun as a healer.

The best way to do this is have all four members jump into a turret and then point INWARD. Shoot the mobs on the opposite side of your party member, the reason being is that they aggro on you and have to travel past your party member to get to you giving you a little bit extra time.

Always shoot the ranged ones first as the melee are slow and you have time to get to them.

The healer (me) starts shooting and then I left click to pop out of a turret to heal when needed and then pop back in to shoot more. The others just have to cover my area a little when I pop out to heal.

Using this method we one shot it and the puzzles that follow are fun!

We wiped twice simply because we couldn't figure out the controls. A simple "Gun will auto fire. Swivel with movement keys" prompt before the battle started would have worked wonders.

Please, please dont do this. Just use your mouse, keyboard turning is so awful. Hold down right click in the turret and just aim with your mouse.

Please, please dont do this. Just use your mouse, keyboard turning is so awful. Hold down right click in the turret and just aim with your mouse.

Thanks for the tip. When we clicked the mouse buttons, it just knocked us off the turret. Will trying just holding it down if I ever try this again.

Thanks for the tip. When we clicked the mouse buttons, it just knocked us off the turret. Will trying just holding it down if I ever try this again.

did you click RIGHT mouse button? bcs we also did it this way.

LEFT mb will knock you of the turret...

dont press anything else just RIGHT mb and aim with mouse... that is all

btw first turret fight is hard, second one is much easier

Some Tips for the Turret Fight:

1 -- Aim inward, protecting the player directly across from your turret. Everyone in the party should do this. This helps immensely, since you can clearly see where everything is coming out and what order you should kill them in.

2 -- The silver/white colored droids should be killed first. They're ranged and do a lot of damage if left alone long enough for them to start opening fire.

3 -- The rest of the mobs have to come into melee range. These need to be picked off in order of which is closest.

4 -- Swivel with the mouse. Much quicker to swing the turret around to help other players with their sides if necessary.

Using this tactic my groups have no issues.