Having other toons as companions

Saito_Hiraga

They would also have to solve the issue with items Bound to your toon. Typically, bound items can be shared with your companion. If your companion is one of your other toon, bound items shouldn't be sharable.

I came up with a solution to that in a version of this subject that I had written up.

The alt companion would have have access to their own inventory window. Any items equipped to that character would only be able to be put there if bound to that character, while items bound to the character being played would not be able to be stored there. No transfers of non-legacy bound items would be able to occur.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the legacy companion was just a generic companion that can do everything, similar to Treek. For gearing, the comp is geared as any other is, with separate gear with one exception: the customization slot. The customization slot would be a drop down of all your alts. Select an alt and your comp appears as your alt, in their gear appearance-wise but with the stats you put on the generic companion.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Aerikaya

I wholeheartedly agree! I have an entire family tree of characters that have never met each other-- and how epic would that be, not only for our personal gameplay, but to introduce them to our friends and even into RP...

I omnomnom this!

SIGNED!

I came up with a solution to that in a version of this subject that I had written up.

The alt companion would have have access to their own inventory window. Any items equipped to that character would only be able to be put there if bound to that character, while items bound to the character being played would not be able to be stored there. No transfers of non-legacy bound items would be able to occur.

Thats a good idea. An easier solution I was thinking of, in case the developers find that hard to implement could be to simply lock the customization options for your alts when they are used as companions. and in case you want to change their gear you just have to log into the character and change them from their respective character menu.

I so very much support this. I mean, in the Legacy family tree we are given options to set relationships for our toons both on a romantic level and blood level. Why has my Inquisitor never gone into battle with his lover? Why has his son never gone into battle with his brother?

It's a fresh idea and should be done. I'd be willing to even pay for this option on the Cartel Market.

I would especially love it if our toons gain XP while working as a companion. Though if that's asking too much, I'd settle for no XP gain.

I was thinking of something very similar to these ideas myself. This is what I was thinking:

If our alts cannot interact in the game storyline itself then perhaps we could have an interactive character select screen.

The select screen would be kind of like a large, fully furnished waiting room in which all the characters in your legacy would be in one room together.

They would appear to be talking to each other, using hand, head, body motions as though they were having indistinct or quiet conversations.

The could have their name plates over their heads for easier identifications or not at all. You can select your alt from this waiting room and then the alt that he / she / they were speaking with, would wave good bye. The selected alt would disappear, and the screen would black out as your game would load.

Other options in this waiting room (Let's call it the "Legacy Lounge.") you toggle choices to have your companions standing around you and interacting. I do not know if it would be possible for companions from one alt to converse with the companion(s) of another.

You could also toggle on or off an option for your alts to simply stand lifeless, shoulder to shoulder so that you can admire the similarities and differences in looks of your alts. It would be like displaying your action figures (guys) or your porcelain dolls (ladies) in a display case. You could still select your character to play in game.

My overall hope is for a closed instance that will activate during story play in which the class characters represented by the alts in your legacy will cross paths. There would be an exchange of dialogue provided by the voice actors who return to reprise their voice roles for this instance.

I think that the idea of having an alt as a companion is a great idea too. My alts are all siblings or half-siblings. My Sith Warrior / Marauder is the father of all my alts. He had multiple wives. He had 1-2 children with each wife, not represented in my family tree. I have 16 alts. 2 of each class. 1 of each advanced class. Showing their mothers would simply be too many alts and in 2 years, I've only completed 5 alts.

At the very least allow them to interact and ultimately allow alts to be companions, as others have suggested.

Edited by Darth_Krushya
more info, grammar,spelling

healing sorcs and sages would be completely OP as comps

the only way i see this working is if they just made an item u put into your comp's custom slot that made it look like an alt, which i would be totally happy with

But that way you may have your whole character's voice, fighting style and weapons messed.

For example:

Imagine you equip that customization to your Ashara to make her look like your big male macho looking trooper named "Insert the victim's name here". Can you even imagine him talking like a girl and wielding two sabers?

Or imagine your T7 equiped with that to make him look like your Zabrak sith assasin, Can you even imagine him using a gun (or invisible gun) now? and not to mention the droid noise thingy xD

Those are some reasons why this idea may not work as a customization.

So its better if we are just able to summon our alts as companions :)

I'd imagine they'd have to make a simplified ability set for each advanced class, to be used when a character is acting as a Companion-alt. So instead of having three action bars worth of abilities to choose from for your Sniper Companion-alt, you'd get a smaller set similar to what Zenith or Risha has, complete with the little Companion ability bar just like you'd have with any other Companion.

Gear however could be tricky, as they'd either have to either:

a) Figure out how to make gear scale to the level of the character using the Companion-alt. No level 20 characters running around with a Companion-alt in level 55 purples, y'know.

b) Make it so a character has a completely different set of gear when being used as a Companion-alt; that is, you gear them like any other Companion. Want to use your Trooper as a Companion-alt for your Consular and your Smuggler? Both the Consular and the Smuggler will have to get a gear set for the Trooper to use.

Personally, I think the second option is less convenient but is a better idea. IMHO having a Companion-alt get to use whatever gear they have equipped already would be too much of an advantage over normal Companions. Because if you used a decently geared endgame character as a Companion-alt, you could have a well-geared Companion from level 1-55 without ever having to spend the time and resources to actually gear one (well, except when you needed a certain default Companion for a class quest, but cheap greens usually will do). And given that your Companion's gear can be just as important as your own, that's a pretty big deal.

Though not being able to access your character's outfit when they were being used as a Companion-alt could be disappointing (especially if they had a rare or class specific "signature piece"), it would be a small price to pay in my eyes.

(why yes, I am on break and have too much time on my hands today, why do you ask? :p)

Edited by Gwena

I'd imagine they'd have to make a simplified ability set for each advanced class, to be used when a character is acting as a Companion-alt. So instead of having three action bars worth of abilities to choose from for your Sniper Companion-alt, you'd get a smaller set similar to what Zenith or Risha has, complete with the little Companion ability bar just like you'd have with any other Companion.

Gear however could be tricky, as they'd either have to either:

a) Figure out how to make gear scale to the level of the character using the Companion-alt. No level 20 characters running around with a Companion-alt in level 55 purples, y'know.

b) Make it so a character has a completely different set of gear when being used as a Companion-alt; that is, you gear them like any other Companion. Want to use your Trooper as a Companion-alt for your Consular and your Smuggler? Both the Consular and the Smuggler will have to get a gear set for the Trooper to use.

Personally, I think the second option is less convenient but is a better idea. IMHO having a Companion-alt get to use whatever gear they have equipped already would be too much of an advantage over normal Companions. Because if you used a decently geared endgame character as a Companion-alt, you could have a well-geared Companion from level 1-55 without ever having to spend the time and resources to actually gear one (well, except when you needed a certain default Companion for a class quest, but cheap greens usually will do). And given that your Companion's gear can be just as important as your own, that's a pretty big deal.

Though not being able to access your character's outfit when they were being used as a Companion-alt could be disappointing (especially if they had a rare or class specific "signature piece"), it would be a small price to pay in my eyes.

(why yes, I am on break and have too much time on my hands today, why do you ask? :p)

I suppose we can solve that if we are able to choose or companion's skills from the companion abilities tab on the abilities menu, by dragging them to the companion quick bar.

If you are unable to summon an alt as companion until you reach the lvl cap or at least until you end the class story yourself and with them, that might not be a problem.

Having a companion alt once you finished all that wont give you any big advantage and there may also be people who wants to use their normal companions to gain affection with them or simply because they dont have a summonable alt with the combat role they need.

Also. Companion Alts may stay as guest companions being unable to gain affection on conversations and being deployed on crew tasks, that way people will be forced to still depend on their normal companions for those tasks.

And obviously you wont get any conversations with them, maybe just some random phrases when you right click on them like other companions that say things like: "lets go!", "need anything?", "lets move", "how can I help?", "what is it?".

If they can make them vary according to the companion's class and alignment that would be cool.

And since they'll need a space on your ship you must be only able to import one companion alt at a time and get a pannel on your ship or at the companion's menu to switch him with another alt when you want to see another face around, because it would be insane if you can import all your alts at the same time, imagine if you have reached the server's character cap and you get to have all of them inside your damn ship...

Great idea!!!

There will sure be some issues, but if an untrained Jedi can blow up a Death Star with a proton torpedo, I'm sure Bioware can implement this.

Btw I'd love to see this possible only when you've finished your class story for both the host and the guest character for these reasons:

1. It'd get awfully complicated when it would be possible before that.
  2. It'd be a nice crown upon your career, and a big bonus for an otherwise finished char.

I think Level Cap for both the host character (the one that you're logged into) and the guest character (the one you summon as a guest companion) will be a better requirement than Finished Class Story because it will ensure both chars are the same level and have completer their talent trees. Otherwise it would either be unfair to summon a lvl 55 companion while being lvl 51 host, or a rather complicated (and never entirely satisfying) rescaling of abilities. (This will involve some complications if a next expansion will raise the level cap, but nothing unsolvable.)

In addition, it somehow feels proper to require the guest companion eith residing (meaning the location he/she was when you last played him/her) in his/her ship, or on the Fleet flagship (or the equivalent of that).

BTW a spin-off idea that I am now contemplating, is to be able to duel one of your other chars, with both the host and the guest bringing their active companion. Setting (phased) could be Lady of Pain's arena (Tatooine, BH storyline).

Edited by Orlogg

I support the idea of having own legacy characters as companions, too.

There could be an "Legacy Ship", on which they all are. However, this might bring a few problems with the individual class companions.

The class companiuons could be on the ship as well, but then please only 1 per class, because 2 x Kira doesn't look very well. :p

Then, there could be some kind of selection : "Which Jedi Knight companion do you want to have on your Legacy Ship ? Pick one."

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

There could be an "Legacy Ship", on which they all are.

Nice idea!! Or, a space station.

However, this might bring a few problems with the individual class companions.

The class companiuons could be on the ship as well, but then please only 1 per class, because 2 x Kira doesn't look very well. :p

Then, there could be some kind of selection : "Which Jedi Knight companion do you want to have on your Legacy Ship ? Pick one."

I hadn't throught of people having multiple versions of companions... It might indeed get a bit silly in that case :)

Edited by Orlogg