What's with the rudeness?

Ifolad

Honestly? Bad parenting. And yes, I went there. When I was growing up, if I acted like a complete tool and didn't have a justifiable reason for it, I'd get my &%@ handed to me. I don't mean being blunt and telling people how it is without sugar coating things, I mean just being an overall tool.

These days most parents are afraid to touch their kids and the kids are smart enough to know what they can get away with. Add to that the growing social acceptance of this behavior and you get what we have today.

It is true. Your experiences shape who you are. My folks wouldn't put up with it and it ingrained it in me as well. And yes, I did get my butt handed to me an several occasions. :D

Oddly, I'm not that old... and I'm already starting to sound like my dad. Nevertheless, manners and a general sense of decorum are lacking these days. Yes... it is possible to have civil discourse on the internet. Sadly this forum is not the place.

Edited by Rafaman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you. You belittle, bully, push around, make fun, and generally act like a d'bag to the new players. I've been here since beta and it has gotten progressively worse. Since this game does have some younger people i am going to assume some of the replies and trolls in general are from punk teenagers who don't know any better for whatever reason as they think it's ok to be a jerk because it's the internet. The rest of you though should know better. Just remember what goes around comes around. Karma is a B. it. ch. Oddly enough I know some of you are adults who SHOULD know better than to behave like a scammy (NOT SCUMMY) 12 year old dennis the menace who takes enjoyment from getting a rise out of other people and or just being a outright jerk. Are you like this all the time or is this your defensive mechanism forged through years of crappy upbringing? In that case i understand why your behavior is such that it is you think it's the world's fault and you're entitled to be an ***.

To MOST of you good people thanks for the enjoyment and interaction you bring to the game as it is due to good people like you that make our game better. For the rest of you that this post is directed at please do the game a favor and grow up and act like a civilized person don't be so mean to the new players and make our great game die due to lack of population because a few bad apples chased them all off. Who knows, by being a nice and helpful person you may just make a few friends. That is all.

I guess you need to qualify if your talking about behavior on the board vs. in game behavior or some combination of both.

With the boards, I think its people just being sick of people grand standing, making overly dramatic posts etc. Or on the other side being mindless fanbois of Bioware etc.

In game I think its just basic Social Psychology at work. You've got anonymity. In some areas competition for limited resources (people complaining about kill stilling for Dailies as an example). And when added together that is just going to make it worse.

And contrary to a few posters, I think F2P has made it worse. (Not in a huge way, but a few notches worse). Because of F2p, I think we got a crop of younger players that have not been schooled in etiquette and netiquette.

Edited by Addaib
grammar, typos

Agreed! Anonymity makes people feel like they are invincible and be able to do what they want and not suffer consequences. But I hardly meet mean people in game and most people are friendly and helpful. I remember when the servers were really empty and before the mergers, everyone knew each other and were actually friendly since we all had to help out each other.

Once there were more people, I noticed things got a little out of control and people started trolling a lot. I have seen some people who were angry for some reason when I zoned in, not sure of the details, but whatever... Just ignore and move along.

I see this response used in every discussion on this topic; it doesn't answer the question fully - WHY would people jump on the opportunity to behave like complete jerks? If the answer is just "because they can" ... that is a very distressing commentary about people in general.

:(

Unfortunately, I think it *is* because they can. People are generally selfish, and enjoy profit at others' expense. And it gets more so the less they know you. So you might genuinely help your family or a close friend, but people in your neighborhood only when there are opportunities for social rewards (being seen, etc) and even less likely to help a complete stranger.

there are absolutely no repercussions to deter this behavior in many of the previous mmos these players came from. there is very little in this one too except for the group finder ignore feature and a non cross server lfd. these two can with time help. but for the most part it is up to us the players to police them ourselves.

the problem isn't anonymity as much as the lack of learning any manners. other mmos have in game features which gave you groups, raids and warfronts with people you will very likely never see again. this only propagates selfishness and a "who cares attitude since i wont see them again." in other mmos with out such lfd social features where you were forced to interact with others, inappropriate behavior was policed by simply not playing with them nor those in their guild. such worked very well when one cant get a group because of a poor reputation or a guild cant recruit because it is filled full of obnoxious members.

i have already seen players comment in general chat against such obnoxious remarks of others which is a start. when i see players posting here on the forums about not getting groups the first thing that comes to mind is "are you obnoxious in general chat or in how you play the game"? if so then players have put you on ignore and you are being punished. sadly these people are just too clueless about it and complain about not getting groups.

it is up to the players to punish offenders by simply not playing with them. sending them a tell or remark in general chat is step one. putting them on ignore afterwards is step two.

Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you.

All communities eventually turn elitist (SWTOR is pretty low on that scale, as the gear check is minimal for all but pvp). In addition, when content is generally boring or lacking, players quickly turn to chat for drama and fun.

Welcome to MMOs, I guess.

I don't find the community in game to be to to bad but the people who posts on these forums are dreadful. Entitled hormonal teenagers with no sense of patience.

Point proven huh?! Name calling, imo, is not only childish, but also dreadful. If your point can't be made without the added commentary, perhaps you shouldn't post it.

Point proven huh?! Name calling, imo, is not only childish, but also dreadful. If your point can't be made without the added commentary, perhaps you shouldn't post it.

The reason we see posts like the one you commented on TUXs, is that people are never the "villian" of their own stores. People have grown more narcissistic since the dawn of modernity. It's hard to recognize and accept our own faults. I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect, am prone to be reactionary at times, I know I have a long way to go. I attempt each day to improve and temper myself. I often fall down but, I get back up and try again. The progress is slow but, self mastery is worth it. When people can step back and take a long honest look at themselves and have the self realization that change is needed the light usually comes on and they to attempt to undertake the same journey but, not before. :cool:

Edited by Urael

I have come to find that is ussually the kids or adults that are the younger brother or sister to someone that teases them, they are the ones picked on at school, or the ones that do not get the adquate attention at home from parents, there the people at work that dont socially fit in. They can get a rise out of people with out the consequences of there actions, all people need attention, either good or bad and this is how they know they can do it. Either way, just ignoring them is the best way.

Note: These type of social behaviors / situations can also be some of the most helpful people, because they decided to be above it.

Really must disagree with those throwing all the the blame - or most of it - on F2P. The verbal diarrhea erupting from general chat (again most prevalent on Dromuund Kaas, as previously mentioned) was happening long before F2P. Maybe you weren't on the same hours I was (even though this often happens at prime time...), but the complete, utter garbage people get away with saying is ridiculous. There's a reason I don't even bother with FPs, OPs or hell, grouping period... I don't want to end up with the alt of some jerk I already have on ignore.

And yes, depressing as it is, when anonymity is on the table, people will often choose to be the worst example humanity has to offer. You can say "it's a game" all you want, but facts are facts - there are real people on the other side of that monitor, and if you act like that in-game... that just speaks volumes, and I sure as heck don't want to deal with you in real life.

P.S.

WTB account wide ignore, PSW!

EDIT : It's hardly fair to say it's the "kiddies" (20 and under) who are responsible, too. They add to it, but they aren't the core of the problem. I've encountered plenty of aged 30+ people in gaming over the years (yes, in SWTOR too) who make me ashamed to be of the same species. : P

Edited by Mirhd

Unfortunately this is the case with many online games now, you see it in FPS and MMOs, hec I even got an earlful from a player in ME3 Multiplayer when the game system is co-op. As some posts have stated I think dont think its due to F2P, this issue went on long before then, but it has added to the issue.

When people see a chance to diminish, bully or take advantage of another being...they take it, whether that be in real life or a game (Im not saying everyone does). This is more common with younger people but Ive seen adults do this as well. The lack of respect in this day and age is astounding. A reasoning for this may be because they themselfs feel insecure, which is the most common reasoning for bullying.

Just put them on your ignore list.

You people are completely sheltered. I don't understand how you can manage to keep alive from day to day if you throw a hissy fit if someone says a bad word. You are some tattle tales. I find the Barrens chat in DK occasionally funny. When it isn't, I don't look at it.

It's F2P. People have no investment and nothing at stake so you see ridiculous behavior at times. tbh, it's very mild in this game compared to some others I've played.

Funny, considering 90% of the bullies are not F2P players but subscribers with a God complex.

At least that's that case in my server, where people I've been seeing and unfortunately reading in general chat have taken it upon themselves to make F2P players' experience as lousy as possible.

You people are completely sheltered. I don't understand how you can manage to keep alive from day to day if you throw a hissy fit if someone says a bad word. You are some tattle tales. I find the Barrens chat in DK occasionally funny. When it isn't, I don't look at it.

Oh, brother.

I can't speak for the other posters, but I don't refer to simple "bad words", I'm talking about the complete disregard for any semblance of decency what-so-ever.

You mention barrens chat from WoW. I played since vanilla and virtually all my characters were horde (9 out of 10 slots were horde toons on nearly all the servers I played on, before I quit in Cata) so I was in the barrens quite a bit, questing or farming mats. I've seen the worst it had to offer, and on numerous occasions SWTOR has topped that. I can't repeat what was said here on the forums for hopefully obvious reasons, but the crap that often goes on is waaaay past a few Eff Yous and such... and this is from someone who has been known to cuss like a sailor when especially irritated with something, but only in close company.

So no, it's not a matter of people being too thin skinned or what have you, it's the community devolving into a mass of ******s. : P

TheNahash : I've seen plenty of that too, unfortunately. As others have mentioned, when people have the option of being a jerk with no consequences, they'll do so.

Edited by Mirhd

Generally, I am quite nice to people in game. As a level 50 on a dead server, I will help people fill that last spot for Colicoid. I'll take people through BT. I'll do all that jazz. But if someone does something stupid in a HM ops that causes a wipe, I will call them out on it. I'm looking at you lightning sorcs who think CC isn't needed and force storming 2 champions and 4 elites is legit. If they say "Yeah, soz", then cool, they admitted they messed up. If they try and defend themselves, then I will bully and belittle them.

I play Republic side on Jedi Covenant, and Empire side on The Ebon Hawk. I rarely notice any smart alec remarks or anything like that. I guess it depends on what faction and server you're playing on? I'm sure it's a lot worse on the PvP servers, which tend to attract the worst type of person I've found. No offfense to the more mature folk who play on PvP servers.

Even these forums are not nearly as bad as that OTHER game's forums.

Yes there are jerks in General chat but I have to be honest anytime I have asked a legitimate gameplay question in general if have received an honest and correct answer. Either in general or via whisper.

I haven't run into nearly the level of rudeness in this game as I have in others.

Even these forums are not nearly as bad as that OTHER game's forums.

Surprisingly I don't see rudeness in game much, although I play off hours except for raid nights, so my exposure is probably quite limited compared to most.

The drama from this 1.6 patch however, prompted me to go mmo shopping today, and after reading the first couple pages of a few other mmo general forums (STO, TSW, & WOW), it's evident that there is a level of anger present here that dwarfs anything I saw glancing at the other mmo forums.

I think alot of people are disappointed in the way this game has evolved and are taking it out on each other. Maybe the other games clean up the threads and posts better? I don't know. It is sad though.

It's basically a reflection of society. We usually don't hang out with people of different maturity from ourselves... unless you're playing pickup basketball or something.

Bottom line, if you have thin skin, spend your time with people similar to you in temperament. Or, be like me, ignore the douchebags.

Why are some of you so cruel to other people in this game? Not to me personally but I notice a lot of horrible behavior out of some of you. You belittle, bully, push around, make fun, and generally act like a d'bag to the new players. I've been here since beta and it has gotten progressively worse. Since this game does have some younger people i am going to assume some of the replies and trolls in general are from punk teenagers who don't know any better for whatever reason as they think it's ok to be a jerk because it's the internet. The rest of you though should know better. Just remember what goes around comes around. Karma is a B. it. ch. Oddly enough I know some of you are adults who SHOULD know better than to behave like a scammy (NOT SCUMMY) 12 year old dennis the menace who takes enjoyment from getting a rise out of other people and or just being a outright jerk. Are you like this all the time or is this your defensive mechanism forged through years of crappy upbringing? In that case i understand why your behavior is such that it is you think it's the world's fault and you're entitled to be an ***.

To MOST of you good people thanks for the enjoyment and interaction you bring to the game as it is due to good people like you that make our game better. For the rest of you that this post is directed at please do the game a favor and grow up and act like a civilized person don't be so mean to the new players and make our great game die due to lack of population because a few bad apples chased them all off. Who knows, by being a nice and helpful person you may just make a few friends. That is all.

Kids....and sometimes adults that never grew up. The reason they do it is because they can. Report them, then don't give it a second thought.

I was just thinking about this type of thing tonight when two people were going at it in General.

Definitely worse on the fleet than anywhere else, which is only natural.

I agree that the people who participate in the name calling and small minded vicious behavior are likely victims of poor social integration, through bullying, abuse, poor parenting, etc.

That being said, it's an interesting phenomena that these "conversations" happen only on the public channels. The conversation is almost 100% of the time only being participated by 2 people. It's really the chance to do this in public which seems to interest these types of people, to be seen as the most crude, the smartest, the most "bad-***".

So I would guess that these people are desperately seeking some form of approval, acknowledgment, attention, to try to fill the hole where their self-esteem should be. Acting out, like any child needing that warm feeling that comes from having people pay attention to them, good or bad.

It's a shame that they have to seek out this crappy form of self-worth in a forum that won't help them solve the underlying issues. A forum that brings them into contact with other people who are in similar straits and reinforces the idea that it will make them feel better to belittle others, use foul language, insult people, etc. Thus the problem grows without the interventions that the real world would bring into their life that would show them they have better options than bad behavior to gain approval and grow their self-esteem.

Edited by rpeplins

well people are rude, it wasnt so common back in january when i played before "break" which is sad, funny thing how a guy few days ago started throwing names at people cause they didnt notice ads to kill(nothing happend anyway) and then votekicked one person (thank to votes of himself and his "friend")... and funny thing is his guild was "just a game" lol

other time i was in group in FP... tank said brb, he wasnt there like 15sec... votekicked.

not to mention horrible general chat... i mean people are awful these days, though still better than any other game ive played in few years