My character seems to understand alot of alien languages :)

vtravi

Does it bother anyone that your toon can understand all these alien languages. I would much prefer these aliens speak English (basic) with a accent, it would seem much more realistic cause that is the main language used in the universe. Also I find it really distracting when trying to read the text having this gibberish sound in my ear. But that is just me i guess

Does it bother anyone that your toon can understand all these alien languages. I would much prefer these aliens speak English (basic) with a accent, it would seem much more realistic cause that is the main language used in the universe. Also I find it really distracting when trying to read the text having this gibberish sound in my ear. But that is just me i guess

Universal Translator. The Exile had one in KOTOR II. Revan on the other hand understood many many languages without use of a translator. And since your character is the elite of the elite, it's not really much of a surprise that he/she can understand more than one language.

Note: Your character does not have to speak those languages, as most aliens understand basic (and can even speak it though they don't think they need to.)

So for me, no it's not a problem.

I think the reason that they speak gibberish is more because of George Lucas, and bioware wanted to not to funk up the lore.

It would be much better because the gibberish gets old very fast. I can't wait to have another companion to use than that lizard dude who keeps making pointless observations in his ear-grating gibberish all the damn time.

It would be much better because the gibberish gets old very fast. I can't wait to have another companion to use than that lizard dude who keeps making pointless observations in his ear-grating gibberish all the damn time.

For what it's worth, that "lizard dude" is the best starting companion players - Republic player

at least - can get, in my opinion.

Qyzen for president!

"Is your death that's coming." :D

But it was pretty well summed up in earlier posts.

It's Star Wars, says it on the box. In Star Wars, aliens speak alien because they can - and you can understand them because your player character actually cared to learn their language. :p

It's Star Wars, says it on the box. In Star Wars, aliens speak alien because they can - and you can understand them because your player character actually cared to learn their language. :p

It would still be star wars is everyone (ie not just a subset of the alien races) spoke english. The simple fact that anyone in there speaks the exact same english as we speak today on earth requires some suspension of disbelief anyway.

People focus way too much on minute details about this franchise. I don't think star wars is defined by having aliens emitting random sounds.

Edited by Zlodo

I think the reason that they speak gibberish is more because of George Lucas, and bioware wanted to not to funk up the lore.

that and economic considerations. think of it, they can use some generic canned alien speach, have the character reply with a stock phrase (I've heard my Sith warrior respond with the same phrase to a quest giver once or twice) and they basicly keep the full voice over approuch without haveing to record new stuff, I've LONG been predicting that future new content is going to include a fair bit of "alien gibberish" as a time/cost saver

• 1 year later...

Real life: If a person speaks to you in another language that you understand, you speak in that language.

Star Wars: If a person speaks to you in another language that you understand, you respond in the language you usually use, and if they don't understand it, THEN you speak in their language. And people use translators or bother with learning languages.

I am going to go with Cash, cheaper to have text and gibberish than actual dialog. I quite like it but some times its silly like when an alien who can clearly uunderstand basic still speaks in an alien language and your character who can clearly understand the alien language speaks back in basic. In the end a universal translator is the only thing that makes sence.

my characters them because he traveled in a TARDIS and the Doctor and once you do that it translates all languages for you:P

my characters them because he traveled in a TARDIS and the Doctor and once you do that it translates all languages for you:P

Time travel is impossible in Star Wars, plus the Tardis has to be within telepathic range for that to work, no free translations after the Doctor leaves.

The translation of languages has no ingame explanation, a character can be speaking Twi'lek then ask what are Twi'leks, even if they have spoken to Twi'leks before (or they are a Twi'lek), also they can understand any language, so it's not learning, and it works even after you get hit with alsorts of radiation, so it's not tech. So far as I know, nobody has been able to rule out the Babel Fish (fish in your ear), but I doubt it's that either.

smuggler - knows many lingua francas to trade

trooper - is taught many languages as part of guerilla training

consular - walking library 'nuff said

knight - goes to same academy as consular

agent - is trained to be able to infiltrate so must know languages

BH - know languages to be able to find information to find targets

inquisitor - knowledge is power

warrior - ehhh:rak_02:, before sith academy you went to a boarding school on nal hutta that teaches many languages :p

Time travel is impossible in Star Wars, plus the Tardis has to be within telepathic range for that to work, no free translations after the Doctor leaves.

The translation of languages has no ingame explanation, a character can be speaking Twi'lek then ask what are Twi'leks, even if they have spoken to Twi'leks before (or they are a Twi'lek), also they can understand any language, so it's not learning, and it works even after you get hit with alsorts of radiation, so it's not tech. So far as I know, nobody has been able to rule out the Babel Fish (fish in your ear), but I doubt it's that either.

lol i was just jokeing

For what it's worth, that "lizard dude" is the best starting companion players - Republic player

at least - can get, in my opinion.

Qyzen for president!

"Is your death that's coming." :D

But it was pretty well summed up in earlier posts.

Qyzen and Khem Val would be best friends.

"All fall to Mistress Death."

smuggler - knows many lingua francas to trade

trooper - is taught many languages as part of guerilla training

consular - walking library 'nuff said

knight - goes to same academy as consular

agent - is trained to be able to infiltrate so must know languages

BH - know languages to be able to find information to find targets

inquisitor - knowledge is power

warrior - ehhh:rak_02:, before sith academy you went to a boarding school on nal hutta that teaches many languages :p

a character can be speaking Twi'lek then ask what are Twi'leks, even if they have spoken to Twi'leks before (or they are a Twi'lek), also they can understand any language, so it's not learning,.

I know i'm quoting myself, but I already ruled this out, yes they might have picked up a few languages in training, the in game conversations make a joke of this as an explanation. However, I do like the boarding school twist for the warrior.

Please do not joke about Doctor Who, it is a serious documentary (Joke). If you want to make fun out of something, plaese take the Michael out of politicians, that's what we British do.

i was only joking about time travel in the star wars universe aka the TARDIS