Looking for a LGBT guild

Melawyn

Header says it all, have several characters and active ingame. Looking for a friendly, active, mature LGBT/LGBT friendly guild who likes to help, social. I like to roleplay some as well with my toons. Veteran of several mmorpg games, including swg and wow.

As the above poster said, we at Tranquility are, as far as we know, the only LGBT friendly guild pub side. We are a fairly large guild, lots of people, with a fair bit going on most nights! You can check out our website in my signature, or get ahold of any of us officers in game pub side: Charlz, BigBlockhead, Tehito, Gobien, Tyrien or Aridian.

We hope to hear from you!

I ask this with the utmost respect, I really just am hoping for some clarity not trying to start an argument.

Why does your sexual identity factor into how you play the game? Are you afraid that you'll share something from your personal life with your guildmates in another guild and they will ridicule you? The community here is great, and I would think any guild of mature adults is going to treat you like any other member - why is it imperative that you seek out a guild of people who share a minority sexual identity?

Just like-minded grouping up, I imagine. Not too terribly different from "mature only" guilds or even roleplay guilds.

At least that's how I figure it; they might have a different reason.

Edited by Synavix

It SHOULDN'T matter to people, but often it causes drama. If I'm talking on vent and just throw out "brb helping bf with groceries" or something like that, it can cause drama with...shall we say less accepting individuals. Going out on a limb, I'm gonna say that if someone is asking "why do you want an LGBT guild specifically"...they aren't American, lol. I'm Canadian, so I personally don't understand the persecution that is prevalent south of the border (I have many, MANY gay friends down there) so I fully understand the need/desire for them to want a "safe" place if you will. I'm not really wanting to go into a big long post so I'm trying to be brief, but I hope my points have made sense.

So yes, we're and LGBT friendly (not exclusive, we have lots of straight members too) guild. It's kinda cool to know we're possibly anyway the only one on JC.

All it takes is a brief glance at Gen chat or these very forums to see plenty of homophobic (not to mention racist, sexist, etc) slurs and related ********. I mean, I guess SWTOR's community is better than, say, 4chan or something, but it's still gamers on the Internet.

All it takes is a brief glance at Gen chat or these very forums to see plenty of homophobic (not to mention racist, sexist, etc) slurs and related ********. I mean, I guess SWTOR's community is better than, say, 4chan or something, but it's still gamers on the Internet.

^^^ This. I had to ignore a handful of people this past Sunday because they were being homophobic a-holes on General chat on Republic Taris.

I ask this with the utmost respect, I really just am hoping for some clarity not trying to start an argument.

Why does your sexual identity factor into how you play the game? Are you afraid that you'll share something from your personal life with your guildmates in another guild and they will ridicule you? The community here is great, and I would think any guild of mature adults is going to treat you like any other member - why is it imperative that you seek out a guild of people who share a minority sexual identity?

if you've ever sat in anybody's voice server or, slightly less often, gchat, you may have noticed that the terms "f.a.g." and "h.om.o." are bandied about as derogatory terms. I imagine that escaping such banter is one reason.

Edited by foxmob

Usually it doesn't matter to me. When I was in Wow, I was with a great group for several years. It was very hard to leave them, they were fun, helpful, social, respectful to a point (I say this because it bothered me if guildmembers were upset with me; they never talked with me about it but complained to other officers and I heard about it secondhand) and active with each other in the guild. I was an officer and had to stepdown/leave for personal reasons. Other guilds I was in since then, I had to ignore or bear with derogatory statements racially, etc made in guildchat. Even before I came out of the closet, I believed that even if you don't like someones behavior or lifestyle, you should treat people with respect because someone loves them, even if its just God right then. They are someones father, mother, brother, sister, child, etc. I believe that the derogatory words shoudl be kept to vent or private chat. But when someone steps up and says something, then it needs to be responded to with maturity and willingness to listen. HIgh chances are there are other people that its bothering, theyre just afraid of repercussions to say anything or don't want the drama or angry responses from people who don't like having to think of or consider their own "less than" behavior. I frequently turn off general chat because of the trollers and nasty talk. And let me point out right now, that the trivial and mocking use of the word "rape". I take it as a serious subject not to be treated with contempt or triviality. I am not the only one in this game that has had mothers, friends, siblings, etc raped or molested in the past. I know this is a pet peeve of mine but lets say it. So I look for a like minded guild that wil cut down on use of derogatory statements but also if Im innocently firting with someone's character or them...or just teasing...there will be less drama or issues. And seriously for you men and women out there, if I'm talking sweet and friendly to you in private im's....it DOES NOT MEAN i want to be your girlfriend or have cyber sex with you. So stop with all the questions straight off of how I look, what I"m wearing, am I cute and sexy, how old am I, what do I look like, what am I attracted to etc.? Most times, Im thinking ... go get yourself off with your own bf/gf or spouse and stop looking for cake!! I'm already thinking of leaving one guild because of a member getting too personal, too nosey and that was in the first week.

Oh and if in guildchat, you dont' know what members are actual adults or children. Would you want your children subjected to your racism, profanity, etc? Then wy subject other children? I have refrained from getting on any other vent channels since the first guild I was in, True Dignity True Respect, cussed me out and threatened me. He/She (who sounded like a child) was frustrated with his computer and I made a joke in guildchat (my mic wasn't working) about anger management, to use a hammer instead of a fist. Even after I apologized for HIS taking offense at something meant innocently and to laugh with, he/she kept on. And no one to my knowledge told him to stop or got on his case for his behavior and treatment of a new guildmember. I bet if it was a guildmember acting like that, they would have been consequences. Apparently IT was the guildmaster. Thats another reason that I get selective on which guild. I thank you for your question about "why and that you prefaced with all respect and not to cause..." I hope I've answered your question to the best I can.

I'm really confused here.

You're upset that other guilds will treat your differently/bad because you're gay but you are flirting with members in IM's? Presumably mostly men that you are flirting with and you wonder why they might say things about you? Did you ever think your "harmless" or "casual" flirting could of been offensive to people the same as you getting called derogatory terms is.

Edited by Aramyth

You're upset that other guilds will treat your differently/bad because you're gay but you are flirting with members in IM's? Presumably mostly men that you are flirting with and you wonder why they might say things about you? Did you ever think your "harmless" or "casual" flirting could of been offensive to people the same as you getting called derogatory terms is.

The way he talks sounds vaguely familiar had a similar issue in a guild not long ago he would stop ppl ripped into him and he cried foul.

You.... need to see some of the things I write in Gen chat, pubpvp chat, guild chat, PD chat, and whispers to Candy :p Maybe he just wants a decent environment to have fun in

You.... need to see some of the things I write in Gen chat, pubpvp chat, guild chat, PD chat, and whispers to Candy :p Maybe he just wants a decent environment to have fun in

Wanting a decent/good/fun environment to play in is completely valid. I just find it ironic that he would casually flirt with people in a non -LGBT guild and expect to get no flack for it. (Because if he is gay he is most likely flirting with the men in the guild and I imagine that some would find it awkward etc.)

As for what you say to Candy, well, lol, that's your business.

Edited by Aramyth

Playful flirting carries the possibility that the recipient might not realize it is just "playing". Said recipient might respond in kind with a generic question like one those already listed by the poster. Getting all huffy about it when the poster initiated the "flirt" is poor manners and shows that the poster didn't really think before posting. Problem with text is, sometimes it doesn't convey the nuances found when speaking. Adding the additional variables of one poster being gay and the other straight makes for an even bigger mess when chat can be totally misconstrued.

• 2 years later...
Ive been in guilds where if you talk abot your dates or girlfriend and you are same sex, you get negative comments made to you about your lifestyle or you get hit on by "men" who think they can change your mind and I'd rather not deal with that. Ive also been in guilds where even if you don't disclose anything personal like that, there are alot of negative and prejudicial and derogatory jokes and comments made about lgbt. so again..i.... enough said...so usually i turn the tables on theml.

Im so glad you bumped this thread. I was really dreading sifting through 2 years of JC forum pages in order to find it. ;)

Bonus points that it was OP. Responding so late... To themselves

>leslowpoke.png

Edited by FerkWork

Ive been in guilds where if you talk abot your dates or girlfriend and you are same sex, you get negative comments made to you about your lifestyle or you get hit on by "men" who think they can change your mind and I'd rather not deal with that.

Bby are you a necromage? Cuz you gave me a bad case of Rigormortis if you know what I mean. And cuz you necroed the **** out of this thread. gg

Edited by Mediocre-Nova