Collector's Edition Unboxing woes (Or The Story of the Broken Authenticator)

Fizyx

Several months ago I pre-ordered the SW:TOR CE. I was very excited about this game, and after playing for the last 2-3 days, I remain excited. Somehow Amazon managed to get me my CE today instead of 4 days from now. I'm not sure how they did this, or if it was allowed, but I've opened the box, put my codes in, and I'm not complaining about getting it early. The rub came at the first step I've listed. When I opened my CE box, something seemed amiss:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg337/scaled.php?server=337&filename=img1698i.jpg&res=medium

Perhaps this was intentional, an effect to illustrate the creeping insidiousness of the Sith and their dark ways. I held out hope that the little authenticator could overcome. However, closer examination worried me:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg846/scaled.php?server=846&filename=img1701a.jpg&res=medium

The corruption appeared to be more extensive than I had thought. But, like a true Jedi, I had faith in the little authenticator, that it would do the right thing for the Republic (of me).

Sadly, my faith was misplaced. The little authenticator had succumbed to the temptations of the Dark Side, and was beyond my reach:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg859/scaled.php?server=859&filename=img1702t.jpg&res=medium

On a more serious note, this is completely unacceptable. None of the other contents of the box were damaged, and the packaging was completely free of any blemishes. This implies that the product was damaged during packaging, and Amazon and UPS were in no way to blame. The lack of care is, quite frankly, both disheartening and disappointing. Considering both the amount that was being charged for the CE, and the types of fans that purchase CEs in the first place (Yes, I know, we're quite insane), one would think that all possible care would be put into making sure that something like this didn't happen.

EDIT: There were some very informative posts from people who have more experience with these devices than I do, and I feel better knowing that there is a very good chance that the device was actually broken in transit due to changing temperature and pressure conditions. Also, the forum rep response was greatly appreciated. I haven't heard back from C.S. yet, but so far I am much less disappointed than I was when I posted this :)

Edited by Fizyx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should really just send you a new one... they're selling the things for 4 bucks + shipping, so it's not like it's an expensive item for them to replace. Sure would be a pain to have to send the whole CE back to Amazon because of a cheap $4 keychain...

They should really just send you a new one... they're selling the things for 4 bucks + shipping, so it's not like it's an expensive item for them to replace. Sure would be a pain to have to send the whole CE back to Amazon because of a cheap $4 keychain...

I agree completely, which is why I wont do it. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a situation where I sell the CE off piecemeal to recover some money, and avoid all Bioware games in the future. We shall see...

Several months ago I pre-ordered the SW:TOR CE. I was very excited about this game, and after playing for the last 2-3 days, I remain excited. Somehow Amazon managed to get me my CE today instead of 4 days from now. I'm not sure how they did this, or if it was allowed, but I've opened the box, put my codes in, and I'm not complaining about getting it early. The rub came at the first step I've listed. When I opened my CE box, something seemed amiss:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg337/scaled.php?server=337&filename=img1698i.jpg&res=medium

Perhaps this was intentional, an effect to illustrate the creeping insidiousness of the Sith and their dark ways. I held out hope that the little authenticator could overcome. However, closer examination worried me:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg846/scaled.php?server=846&filename=img1701a.jpg&res=medium

The corruption appeared to be more extensive than I had thought. But, like a true Jedi, I had faith in the little authenticator, that it would do the right thing for the Republic (of me).

Sadly, my faith was misplaced. The little authenticator had succumbed to the temptations of the Dark Side, and was beyond my reach:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg859/scaled.php?server=859&filename=img1702t.jpg&res=medium

On a more serious note, this is completely unacceptable. None of the other contents of the box were damaged, and the packaging was completely free of any blemishes. This implies that the product was damaged during packaging, and Amazon and UPS were in no way to blame. The lack of care is, quite frankly, both disheartening and disappointing. Considering both the amount that was being charged for the CE, and the types of fans that purchase CEs in the first place (Yes, I know, we're quite insane), one would think that all possible care would be put into making sure that something like this didn't happen.

Random thought, but something I've seen in the past. Those little authenticators sometimes have issues when going through areas of extreme cold/heat and/or altitudes. I know this from experience and having authenticators for years. I work in the silicone valley and had one die while in flight. Had another die when I went to Reno over the pass. It was 80+ degrees in the valleys, but near freezing over the pass. I guess the temps killed the authenticator because I left it in the trunk.

Not saying that you getting a damaged one is acceptable, but simply some food for thought.

Random thought, but something I've seen in the past. Those little authenticators sometimes have issues when going through areas of extreme cold/heat and/or altitudes. I know this from experience and having authenticators for years. I work in the silicone valley and had one die while in flight. Had another die when I went to Reno over the pass. It was 80+ degrees in the valleys, but near freezing over the pass. I guess the temps killed the authenticator because I left it in the trunk.

Not saying that you getting a damaged one is acceptable, but simply some food for thought.

It's a valid thought, but unfortunately I don't believe that to be the case. I don't think that pressure and temperature changes that it would have seen could cause the display to actually crack. I'm not sure if it's apparent in the pictures, but there are several very fine cracks through the display itself, and it looks exactly like someone or something pressed on the screen too hard. I actually think it must have happened during manufacture, since the front plate is fine, and only the display itself seems to be effected.

I deal with these authenticators in a professional capacity, and they are notorious for failures. I replace more orders than I fill.

The one that came with my CE works perfectly, but I went ahead and bought another at $4 in case this one fails...

I know, it's extra money to spend, but this is a security device we're talking about here. Better to have an extra and not need it, than need it but not have it and wait for RMA service.

BTW - My box came beat up, but my status, etc are in great shape. Wish I could find out how to get a box replacement...

It's a valid thought, but unfortunately I don't believe that to be the case. I don't think that pressure and temperature changes that it would have seen could cause the display to actually crack. I'm not sure if it's apparent in the pictures, but there are several very fine cracks through the display itself, and it looks exactly like someone or something pressed on the screen too hard. I actually think it must have happened during manufacture, since the front plate is fine, and only the display itself seems to be effected.

Pressure changes, extreme shock, and extreme changes in temperature will indeed cause gunky display...

Those little authenticators sometimes have issues when going through areas of extreme cold/heat and/or altitudes.
That's what I was thinking too.

Bah, now I see the info about the crack, well I guess it may have been something else.

Hope mine is intact when it arrives /fingers crossed.

Good luck getting a replacement.

Edited by Jnight

Pressure changes, extreme shock, and extreme changes in temperature will indeed cause gunky display...

To the point of actually putting cracks all the way through them? I don't deal with these displays a lot (and probably nowhere near as much as you do, obviously), but I've NEVER seen one that has broken like this without someone push so hard on it that the face cracks. I mean more than atmospheric conditions pressure changes. I did know these things were fragile... but that fragile? :\

*Edit: Someone beat me to freight climate damage.

I don't want to say that it MUST be packaging damage, but I don't know. The cracking on the screen (not just the screen being dead) make me believe that it is. It could be otherwise, I am willing to admit.

My CE came dropped with massive box damage.

Only reason I didn't send it back was cause I wouldn't get a replacement in time for the 20th.

Nice though having a damaged statue, damaged box and book.........

Take pictures and contact Bioware but do it soon they can replace the damaged items

To the point of actually putting cracks all the way through them? I don't deal with these displays a lot (and probably nowhere near as much as you do, obviously), but I've NEVER seen one that has broken like this without someone push so hard on it that the face cracks. I mean more than atmospheric conditions pressure changes. I did know these things were fragile... but that fragile? :\

Absolutely they are that fragile.

The ones I deal with are a *little* better constructed than these, with the main difference being the raised plastic bump that not only covers the LCD screen, but magnifies the number for easier reading.

I -WISH- I could post a photo of the tokens I deal with, but I'd rather not as they are considered "sensitive" information, but trust me, they are fragile.

Line up your RMA for the broken one, and order another as a backup.

I'd have to agree with you on this one. I would think they'd take good care to package these.

Absolutely they are that fragile.

The ones I deal with are a *little* better constructed than these, with the main difference being the raised plastic bump that not only covers the LCD screen, but magnifies the number for easier reading.

I -WISH- I could post a photo of the tokens I deal with, but I'd rather not as they are considered "sensitive" information, but trust me, they are fragile.

Line up your RMA for the broken one, and order another as a backup.

I did not know that. I have 3 WoW authenticators, and I've never had a problem with any of them (beyond stupid things that I do to them, obviously), so I thought they were a little more quality than that. Oh well, live and learn.

I know the little authenticator *should* last a while, but when the battery eventually runs out, can it be replaced? I don't see an obvious way to change the cell or open the fob to get to the battery?

I believe at that point you must simply replace the authenticator. My first WoW authenticator has lasted for almost 3 and a half years now with no issues, and like I said above, I believe they are basically the same thing, just re-branded.