GM/Dev Hosted Events in SWTOR?

Azzras

During the Guild Summit it was mentioned that there would be events in SWTOR, maybe something like Life Day (not exactly that, but you get my point).

When will we see our first in-game event?

Will this be in 1.2?

Thoughts?

We have a dedicated team within the larger development team that's working on in-game events. Our definition of 'events' are time-limited, game-wide events that hopefully many of you will get to see.

The team has been hard at work putting an event together that will... manifest after Game Update 1.2 reaches the live servers. The event will be quite widespread and should be hard to miss. :D

There are already plans for events in the future as well, but details on those will have to wait. We want there to be an element of surprise. :)

We have a dedicated team within the larger development team that's working on in-game events. Our definition of 'events' are time-limited, game-wide events that hopefully many of you will get to see.

The team has been hard at work putting an event together that will... manifest after Game Update 1.2 reaches the live servers. The event will be quite widespread and should be hard to miss. :D

There are already plans for events in the future as well, but details on those will have to wait. We want there to be an element of surprise. :)

I got two questions.

1. Are you going to announce like "Today we are having the [insert name here] event" or is it just going to happen.

2. Is it going to be more like a 1 day thing or more like a 1 week thing?

I can't wait. Hope it's good.

I find the notion of "time limited" in combination with "surprise" disturbing. For me it mostly implies the surprise when I find out after the event what I might have missed (for example crucial parts of the event's content, rewards etc.) and won't ever get back to do, see or acquire. I mean when it's all clear what a particular event comprises, what is there to do or see, what kind of items (also, if not most importantly, fluff items!), titles etc. are there to be had and how exactly to get them, at least you're able to decide what of the stuff you would like to get, what doesn't interest you at all, and what you would consider must-have for a particular character of yours, for example because it fits that character's theme better than all normally available alternatives.

I don't like the idea of stumbling into a one-time event, playing along, doing whatever there is to do, and then end up learning afterwards of the things I did not see or know of.

Example what I mean: In Rift there were event-specific mounts that would only drop during that even, from certain types of mobs which were partly tied to the event, partly would exist anyway, about which the only official info from the game's website was that there might be something rare.

Though it did not taake long for the community as a whole to find out what mount it was, it took some days to uncover where exactly it could be had and where not, and even to the end there was no clear consensus whether this or that specific mob type could drop them and should be farmed or whether they could not and you be avoided.

Additionally I don't like farming stuff for a random chance at any kind of reward when the reward will be up for a short time only. If there is a rare mount or pet to be had from a certain type of mob in a certain zone outside of an event, I can go out and know, eventually, with enough diligence and patience, I can get it. But if this is only up for two weeks, why should I bother spending two weeks for a 0.1% chance drop when it might be more likely that I would not get the drop at all in that time.

So, what I hereby humbly request is for you to consider not including any rare-drop rewards whatsoever, but to make sure that anything that can be achieved during an event, can be done so with certainty (for example through a quest). Please reward those who care about the stuff, those with diligence (but not just those with too much spare time on their hand, either!), not those with a lucky shot at the RNG.:)

I like surprises, but anticipation kills...lol.

You said these events will 'manifest' after 1.2 goes live.

I can't wait to see what the underlying meaning of that is.

:)

I hope that these events are not managed by GMs, or not many of us will be able to participate.

I rather like the events I've seen in another game, which are unique quests, monsters and loot surrounding a story that's only around for some-odd weeks. It even happens in phases, culminating in a period of awesomeness at the end. It's all scripted.

I mean, you add a new server for the weekend where you can transfer your character (so that you don't disturb the level 10-15 on this planet), you change the way the map works, and you have republic vs empire fight for the entire planet!

You have checkpoints for both parties and multiple areas where fights occur.

(ex: space battle where a party invade and try to take control of enemy ship

ex: fight at the senate

ex: empire try to clear a landing zone

etc etc

)

and your faction is being notified for every win and losses! and the fight evolve around those win/losses.

Something that could look like Ilum but better because more people will participate and it will be epic!