Any Actual females not female characters play this game?

Jesterhexes

I'm a female. I'm really surprised that female gamers still feel the need to hide their gender because of bias. I thought we were beyond that. Although, I do remember back in the day when a lot guilds wouldn't accept female players at all, and there was a lot of gender discrimination. Maye because I actively seek out players and guilds who don't support this type of atmosphere I don't see it.

Ladies, keep playing. And while I agree that a person's gender should have no influence on how they're treated in game, I know that real life isn't fair, you still have to pick those you associate with.

Side note: I've seen the female players who take advantage of the fact that they are female in game and it makes the rest of us look bad. But there are just as many d-bag guys in game doing the same thing.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a guy that plays female characters, I wanted to reply to this thread because I wanted to at least try to shine some light on this "it's weird for a man to play a woman" business. I know it won't help in the broad sense, gender bias will always exist, and people will always put undo attention on it, but hopefully I can illuminate the issue for at least some people.

First of all, I'd like to clarify one thing: Playing as a female does NOT in ANY way mean I want to be a female. I am thoroughly confident in and satisfied with my gender. It is ignorant to assume that just because I play a female in game, that I want to be a female in real life. Playing a Twi'lek in Star Wars or a Tauren in WoW doesn't mean I want to be an alien or cow in real life. All of these things are merely interesting aspects of a role to play, or even more likely, merely aesthetic choices.

I'd like to go on to clarify the issue of men playing women being perceived as piggish. This perception is not without merit. Look back in this thread. Already, people have replied with the standard "I made a female because I'd rather stare at a female ***." To a lot of women, this comes off very piggish. I can already hear the thoughts of "Oh my god, is sex all men ever think about?"

Let me be frank, this attitude accounts for a lot of men playing as women. It's a desire to control and dress up a sexy looking female avatar however they like. But very often, that's not all there is to it. This excuse may sound piggish to you, but many men throw it out there as the first excuse because it's the only one that other men will accept. If you say something like "I just find women more interesting than men," most of the time, the type of person who would question you on it in the first place will reply with "LOL you freak you wanna be a girl."

So, lets be honest and clear: A big reason why many men create female characters is the same reason Lara Croft is popular. These characters are sexy. But lets not judge all these men just because of that. It's not fair. First of all, it's perfectly valid to enjoy physical attractiveness. Certainly it can be taken to far, and it is shallow if it's all you care about, but it's a perfectly valid aspect of creating a character. Aesthetics will always weigh in. If you make a character of the gender you aren't attracted to, looking "cool" will likely be your criteria. It follows that creating a character of the gender you are attracted to, "attractive" will be a criteria.

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to state personally, and I'm sure others feel this way too, that the sexual aspect of it is actually a fairly small aspect of the choice to roll a female character. For me, it mostly boils down to the idea that female characters are more interesting. Maybe that comes from the fact that as a man, masculine characteristics have little mystery to me. It's more interesting and engaging for me to play a female character.

Further, with a female character I feel more comfortable playing with the full range of masculine and feminine character qualities. I can play a strong female character who can be either no nonsense tough or coy and flirty as the situation demands. I find it harder to do this with male characters, and I acknowledge that is biased, but that's how it is for me.

Beyond personality choices, I also just like the female form more for aesthetic but not necessarily sexual reasons. For example, I tend to create characters that are lithe and agile, and I think the female form fits this archetype better. Especially in other games where the male models are bulky and huge. Fortunately TOR gives us options for smaller men as well, but the male form still doesn't pull off petite as well, aesthetically, in my opinion.

Lastly, I'd like to address the issue of people calling men who play characters who are female "weird" of "freaks" based on the idea that they want to be female. Who are you to judge them even if that is how they feel? I'm not transgender, nor do I know any TG people personally, but I find it sad how closed many people's minds are. What are these people hurting you? So what if they do identify as the opposite gender? Gender roles and expectations in our society have very little to do with a person's actual sex and very much to do with decades of ingrained expectations. Who are you to judge someone just because they identify as the opposite gender? It's no different than someone calling you a loser because you enjoy nerdy things like MMOs. You don't have to like or agree with everyone, but to call someone names because of their personality is rude, intolerant, and wrong.

The OP has caused me to start a project.

http://www.jeweldaab.com/post/15889444381/gaming-genders

Hehe, I think that's a fun idea, and I might try doing the same. I don't really feel the need to correct a random person calling me "dude" or "he" when we run ONE instance together, but in stuff like Guilds, etc, I usually like to know people a bit deeper, and knowing whether to call them he or she is usually nice :p It just sucks that some girls feel they have to hide it, it really shouldn't be that way.

<--- also female, and I don't hide the fact in game that I am, but I also don't bring it up or correct people if I am referred to as male - just doesn't seem any point really!

Anyone in game that knows I am female has usually learnt the fact because my husband and I have been in a group together and something has been said just generally chatting that might mention it.

I am fortunately that I have never really had any bother from anyone, and I ambig enough to put it down to a just few minority idiots when I have :D

I will say that when I started gaming 10 years ago with my husband it was kinda weird watching him as a female character (anything you want to tell me honey?) ! ... but then I realised that quite often the male toons look like ****! 10 years on and I am use to it and he hasn't started wearing my dresses or heels at home so I guess its safe :D

Women who play games tend not to reveal the fact that they are female unless they're in a guild that they feel they can trust. I've been surprised more than once playing with someone for months or even years before I hear them on vent or find out they're a female.

And the reason for it is very simple and obvious. I wouldn't reveal my gender in a million years in an MMO if I were female. Too many basement-dwelling mouthbreathers.

I'm not a girl gamer. I'm a gamer who happens to be female. and as such, I don't make any grand announcements of my gender, if it comes up, it comes up. but otherwise, i just play the game and chat to people I enjoy chatting with.

there are plenty of women playing this game. they just play it without specifically seeking out particular gender players to interact with.

also adding my voice to "weird to chose an avatar of gender opposite to yours"

there are variety of reasons why people may chose to play a particular avatar, both gender and appearance. I'd say all of them are valid. for me in particular, there are some differences in content that you get as a male vs female character, so I'm covering all my bases, while simultaneously trying out different specializations and alignments.

Loads of us around.

I'll probably get flamed for saying it like this.. but the 'REAL' girl-gamers don't tend to make themselves known... I mean the one's that actually play games because they like games and not male attention.

My game play and how good I can play has always been judged on what I have between my legs. But I've played in alot of top guilds in the past in many games and mainly that's because I let them see me play and shizzle before I made my gender known.

^ I agree with this. I usually play with real life friends so it doesn't matter, they already know I'm a girl. But when I group with other players I don't introduce myself as female. I mean, who cares?

Although it MAY become apparent when I get uber excited over a really pretty new piece of gear.

Also, I don't care if guys play female toons. They're paying for the game, they can create what they want.

Loads of us around.

I'll probably get flamed for saying it like this.. but the 'REAL' girl-gamers don't tend to make themselves known... I mean the one's that actually play games because they like games and not male attention.

My game play and how good I can play has always been judged on what I have between my legs. But I've played in alot of top guilds in the past in many games and mainly that's because I let them see me play and shizzle before I made my gender known.

Not only female players get judged on their gaming capabilities. I for one, am a male, BUT, I'm a brazilian player. You wouldn't KNOW how much ppl underestimate my gameplay( and my english 2).

I have to do the same thing... not ever reveal that I'm brazilian or I might be prejudiced in-game for it.

Now... Imagine if I was a brazilian female and revealed it? Geez, It would be a pain...

I figured out a long time ago that there are actually three genders; male, female, and "other." Every one of you is "other" to me, as in I don't give a rat's a** what you have between your legs. The only thing I care about is how good a player you are and, if you're a friend or in my guild, what you and I can do to help each other play the game.

Why does anyone care what gender any other player is?

And yes, to the OP; I apologize to you (and the rest of your gender) that there are so many of us out there who care that much.

Edited by Meluna
rude

I'm a male but when I made my first character I picked female. The only reason I had was because whenever I make a new character I decide the kind of person they will be and the reasons they have for acting the way they do. Back story picks the gender of my character nothing else.

I've been a gamer in a male-dominated subculture since long before MMORPGs even came around (think back in the 80's when pen-and-paper RPGs were the thing). I'm used to how people can be when they find out I'm a gamer and female.

I play male characters in regular pen-and-paper games and I often play male characters in MMORPGS because they're usually based off characters I have in my pen-and-paper games. Besides, at the risk of sounding piggish myself...if I have to stare at a butt on a screen for hours...I'd rather it be a male's. ;) Not saying I don't have female toons..I do. My primary PC is female.

But, just for the record...female gamers like looking at pretty/handsome avatars, too. We can be kinda piggish at time as well (though we aren't lucky enough to have a slave guy outfit to throw a male avatar into...yet). ;)

LOL!

Unfortunately i didnt have the time to read all the pages of this topic however im sorry that you feel alone on your server, im a guy but if anything i welcome female gamers, it makes a change, they are hard to find also due the fact from my experience female gamers like to keep to them selves when they should feel welcomed to join in on any conversations and etc.

Sorry i cant be more help to you.

~ Shade

I think they announced on the VGAs that 40% of online gamers are women. I'd say that WoW and it's casual gamer attitude is responsible for a lot of new generation female gamers. So, they are no longer rare and few and far between. If you haven't had any in your guilds then you are just unlucky (or lucky depending on who you are asking), or they don't run around screaming "I'M A FEMALE" and you probably just haven't noticed.

I play male and female toons. I never bother correcting people when they call me "dude" or "man" or "brah". I figure I don't care if they are male or female, why would they care if I am? I don't get any inherent bonuses in game for being one or the other. It's not like a +2 bonus for charisma/diplomacy because I may or may not have *****, so I don't have to shove them into people's faces to make sure they know they are there.

I guess, in a way, telling someone my gender goes along with telling them what I do for a living or maybe where I'm from. All of that comes with trust and getting to know them a bit better as you go along, usually in a guild or if you happen to make a friend you run into repeatedly in game. I mean, if you're just someone I quested with once, why would I think you care about me other than whether or not I got the accomplished the goals we set out for?

Also, this whole male gamers are mouth breathers attitude is kinda crappy. I feel bad for you guys. All these women walk around acting like you just can't control yourselves around them and therefore, they have to hide themselves away so you won't harrass them. I have never had a bad experience with male gamers, not in the going on 10 years that I have been playing MMOs.

Gender is a non-factor in game. I don't understand why people still have to make it out like it means something. Just do your research and play well and it doesn't matter what you look like or sound like or what kind of toon you play, yo.

Edited by Wraine