Bioware, you suck with continuity

DrMcbeefington

Meanwhile, back outside Nerdville...

As you continue to pay $15 a month and probably spent over $100 on the game.

Also, thanks guys for pointing me to the wikipedia article of the Tomb of Naga Sadow! Because that's what I was arguing really.. Oh wait, I wasn't. The tomb was long established in the KOTOR games. It's the actual character. Btw, go ahead and explain this retcon when in their holovideos, the jedi master recording them also said Sadow died on Yavin IV. Ooops, lets chalk that up to "no one cares". I enjoy the captain save a hoe logic.:D

As you continue to pay $15 a month and probably spent over $100 on the game.

Also, thanks guys for pointing me to the wikipedia article of the Tomb of Naga Sadow! Because that's what I was arguing really.. Oh wait, I wasn't. The tomb was long established in the KOTOR games. It's the actual character. Btw, go ahead and explain this retcon when in their holovideos, the jedi master recording them also said Sadow died on Yavin IV. Ooops, lets chalk that up to "no one cares". I enjoy the captain save a hoe logic.:D

I'm still lost. So a thousand years later they assume it's Sadow in there. If the tomb was built for Sadow and Sadow didn't actually get buried there and a sith lord corpse turns up in sadow's tomb wouldn't they logically believe it was Sadow not having knowledge that he died on Yavin?

There is not a single piece of starwars literature where you truly get to know the guy. Frankly at the end of the day hes a cautionary tale for both sith and jedi.

Except for, y'know, Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith and Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire, wherein Naga Sadow is a major figure in both story arcs.

holy crap i did not realise that.

Retconning this and that is one thing but how could they not see the knock on effect it has to a HUGE amount of the EU.

If sadow died on korriban not yavin then his spirit (bound to his tomb) on yavin 4 would never have taught freedon nadd, if nadd never went dark side then the entire history of onderon is changed and the freedon nadd uprising never happened, ulic and exar kun were never pushed to the dark side and the sith wars never happened and so on and so on.

That is one hell of a horrendous oversight, who the crap is in charge of vetting this stuff?!

You can have a tomb in one place, and die another. And it's not like powerful Force beings are "tied" to their tombs.

Sadow's body could've been buried on Korriban, but his spirit stayed on Yavin. Or, as mentioned before, his body COULD be on Yavin. But as it's the "Tomb of Naga Sadow" and, without testing the body, anyone who opens up the tomb will logically conclude that it is the corpse of Naga Sadow.

You can have a tomb in one place, and die another. And it's not like powerful Force beings are "tied" to their tombs.

Sadow's body could've been buried on Korriban, but his spirit stayed on Yavin. Or, as mentioned before, his body COULD be on Yavin. But as it's the "Tomb of Naga Sadow" and, without testing the body, anyone who opens up the tomb will logically conclude that it is the corpse of Naga Sadow.

Exactly this. The tomb was likely meant more as a monument to Sadow rather than the actual resting place of his remains. Now, as to who the -body- is in the tomb, with a thousand years between, who can really say who that is.

Point being, it's not really an oversight, and there are plenty of ways of explaining it without screaming "retcon" or claiming Bioware doesn't know what they're doing.

I'd agree that there's no way to know if the body you're looting is Naga Sadow's, and it really doesn't matter. It's a set of ancient bones wearing sith armor, and the lightsaber you get is called the 'Ancient Lightsaber', not 'Naga Sadow's Lightsaber'. Could've belonged to anyone. When you're sent into the tomb, Baras doesn't say you're going to retrieve the blade of the legendary Naga Sadow, just that there's a very old lightsaber in the tomb, and you need to get it. Given the other innumerable horrors Sith Lords tended to stuff their tombs with, more than one corpse doesn't surprise me.

Also, didn't Naga Sadow already have a lightsaber? I remember finding 'Naga Sadow's Poison Lightsaber' in the Tomb of Naga Sadow back in KOTOR, so I don't think that's really a big issue.

Now, as to whether that's really Naga Sadow's corpse, that's a bit more arguable. It could be argued that it is, and that it isn't; there's plausible scenarios for both, without requiring a retcon.

1) It isn't, and is perhaps one of his subordinates or a rival that 'stole' his tomb, or Naga Sadow built his tomb out of a pre-existing one (which makes sense, considering there was a Rakatan Star Map in it. Which reminds me, where the heck -is- that thing? Since they're damn near indestructable, and regenerate from any damage).

2) It is, which means that somebody probably re-buried him there after his demise, which wouldn't seem so far-fetched. I mean, who's to say some Sith cultist or infiltrator (a-la Master Ovair) couldn't have re-buried the bones and body of Naga Sadow in his tomb. A gesture of honour, or somesuch.

There, that took me 5 minutes and I've already answered your dilemma in two easy solutions. Simple, huh?

Dear people.

Seriously, do some research?

During Sadow's reign the Sith constructed a tomb for him on Korriban. The tomb did house a Star Map left behind by the Infinite Empire, and Naga Sadow's Poison Blade. During the Great Hunt, Shaela Nuur died in this tomb while fighting two terentateks. This tomb was later used by the Sith Academy Master Uthar Wynn as a final test for Sith hopefuls to join the Sith Order, in which a student would have to retrieve a lightsaber from the farthest room in the tomb, where the Star Map was located. Here it was that Revan and Malak found the Star Map, and later Revan returned after his memory was wiped to again find the Star Map. After Revan retrieved the Star Map and the lightsaber, he killed Master Uthar Wynn as Wynn's treacherous apprentice, Yuthura Ban, looked on. Revan also defeated Ban in a duel immediately afterward, but spared her life and allowed her to return to the light. The tomb was also later visited by the Jedi Exile, though she could not enter it as its door was blocked.

So instead of chalking it up to laziness and continuity errors, these are the rationalizations that you guys come up with? There's a reason they don't do their homework, because a lot of people don't care. God forbid they actually get the storylines straight. Screaming "retcon!" is idiotic because that assumes they planned the retcon and had the blessing of related parties.

If you are THIS upset about SWTOR being canon, you should go read the Tales of the Jedi comic series (Where The Old Republic era got started), then go play KOTOR 1 and just think how they went from a society more similar to that of our ancient ancestors to futuristic for us in only 40 years (give or take). Stories get messed up and re-written. It is just a fact of life in this day and age. Does it suck, yes. Just have to look past it sometimes and accept the new canon.

Also, if you want to talk about companies not doing their homework, just look at how messed up WoW's lore is compared to previous lore. How does Blizzard mess up THEIR OWN canon so much with each WoW patch/expansion?

That is unacceptable! You should stop playing and uninstall the game. Take the hardcopies and burn it, spit on the ashes, take a picture of the ashes and spit on that. Burn the picture. Take the ashes of the game and the picture out to sea to scatter. Come back home and live a life of recluse, alone on the streets eating out of garbage cans, because your life has been destroyed because Bioware didn’t do their homework.

You know there's another more likely alternative everyone's overlooking. In antiquity it was common for an important individual to begin construction of his tomb within his lifetime. Thus it likely is Sadows tomb, he doesn't necessarily have to be buried there for it to be his. There's also the matter that the True Sith Empire seems to be dynastic with all the talk of birthright, so most likely the tomb is for a family but named for the progenitor who constructed. Thusly the lightsaber would belong to a distantly related Sadow farther down the line and probably buried in ritualistic garb.