$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

PoliteAssasin

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

I fully expect people to do so. In fact I know I will myself.

This is the price of vanity in a game. I'm vain and I have disposable income.

Believe me, a lot of the people that are upset about this will be purchasing the items themselves... and no one will know but Bioware and them. Anonymity allows them to be able to continue the crusade without being publicly compromised on their position.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

Who gives a damn if freemium players have to pay $10-$15 bucks for armor sets and color crystals. Serves them right for not subbing.

Subscribers won't have to pay anything to get those items. They can easily save up their monthly stipends and get anything they want for free.

Who gives a damn if freemium players have to pay $10-$15 bucks for armor sets and color crystals. Serves them right for not subbing.

Subscribers won't have to pay anything to get those items. They can easily save up their monthly stipends and get anything they want for free.

Yeah, but saving up is gonna take a very long while. :( And nobody said that CC items will not be seasonal! This is always an option. Before you save up for what you want it might be gone. That's how they might want to players to quickly buy CCs instead of saving up.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Yes. Especially with the subscriber grant, the cost doesn't amount to much for something a lot of people value, the appearance of their characters. A full armor set will be ~ $7, if you purchase one on a given month. A chest piece is covered with the subscriber grant.

I don't plan to spend much in the shop, but a set of armor every now and again is a nice option to have, especially if player feedback has a significant effect on what is available. I'm surprised there aren't more sets available for launch - I expected at least a few dozen.

The only potential problem I have with the cartel shop is if real content for the game becomes an afterthought, and the legacy system, even with more additions, and current 1-50 game as-is will basically be the real meat and potatoes of what SWTOR is. If they are going for a model of revolving door players, who eventually get bored at endgame and leave, then that will be unfortunate. On the other hand, if this funds more planets and expanded class stories, great.

Either way, there probably was no other choice to keep the game financially viable.

Edited by arunav

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced.

If these products do not sell as desired, I'm sure BW will reduce the cost. So if you don't like the price, wait and see if you are right.

Yeah, but saving up is gonna take a very long while. :( And nobody said that CC items will not be seasonal! This is always an option. Before you save up for what you want it might be gone. That's how they might want to players to quickly buy CCs instead of saving up.

The "gotta-have-it-now's" can always supplement their points by purchasing extra. That's the consequence of getting everything as soon as possible. As to seasonal items, I highly doubt we'll see much seasonal items. As a person that has accounts in several MMO's that use the same F2P business model, the only seasonal items I've seen are based on holiday events, none of which are currently in this game. And when holiday events are added there has always been advance notice/advertising given by the companies to entice new and lapsed customors to return to the game for the event. That's plenty of time to decide if one wants to save up their stipend or buy some extra points.

And if BW runs this new cash shop in a similar fashion to the other MMO cash shops then there will be sales run frequently where people who are patient can buy those items they wanted at a discount.

Of course when the sales occur some of the "gotta-have-it-now's" will jump on the forums to complain how it isn't fair that they paid full price because they were impatient and had to buy everything as soon as it was put on the market.

Too bad the armor sets aren't anything new. Otherwise it might be worth the extra money. I'll just go pay someone to craft then look-a-likes and mode them out. It'd be cheaper in the long run. Most MMORPG's that do cash shops and sell armor sets there, sell unique armor sets. Not rehashed crap that everyone's seen.

I also play EA's Sims 3. I buy Sims 3 store sets frequently. They are expensive. But they add a lot of variety and extra functionality to my game. I love them. My husband says, "It's the most expensive free game ever!"

Then I remind him how much books cost, which is my other serious recreation. Paperback and Kindle. Then the DLC and add ons for my games doesn't look so expensive after all. :p

I am a subscriber to TOR and I intend to continue even after it goes F2P, but I am sure I will find many things I will buy in the Cartel Market because they add to the fun of the game. I don't understand the vitriol and hostility about micro-transactions and the people that buy premium items for vanity, fun, and convenience.

Considering that these are on a Per Character basis, I will have to agree. The prices should be reduced, a lot.

STO and CO charge 5-8 dollars for a new set of uniforms or costume parts, but those usually include more than just one outfit and they are for ALL Characters on the Account. This is Per Character and at twice the cost. Anybody who says they'll gladly pay that will probably also gladly pay 6 dollars extra at BestBuy for the same BlueRay they can get at Target. Personally, I prefer not to be gouged.

:cool:

The only potential problem I have with the cartel shop is if real content for the game becomes an afterthought, and the legacy system, even with more additions, and current 1-50 game as-is will basically be the real meat and potatoes of what SWTOR is. If they are going for a model of revolving door players, who eventually get bored at endgame and leave, then that will be unfortunate. On the other hand, if this funds more planets and expanded class stories, great.

I'm shocked people still believe this. We've been told about a major content expansion, new PVP warzone, and a revamped Ilum hitting within the next 3 months or so. Just choosing to ignore this because they are supplementing their revenue with the cartel shop seems like a knee jerk reaction.

The reason it's taking significant resources right now is because they had to build the functionality of the cartel shop from the ground up. Now that the frame work is in place adding items is simple. A re-textured speeder, a re-coloring of an existing armor model, that doesn't take much to implement going forward. Anything new created for the store is paid for many times over by the revenue it brings in.

The dev team is active and will remain so as long as they hit their revenue goals. Creating new content to sustain the business is a given.

The deeper fear for you should be this. If this game can't survive with the 2nd largest subscriber base prior to F2P then the whole industry is in trouble. It's been a trend for a while now. Open an MMO, steal players from other games, bleed them out short term, and scatter the MMO players over a larger number of games reducing revenue for any specific one.

We are already saw what happened at Turbine when they lost about half lost their players when SWTOR opened, they haven't recovered from it and the downsizing is happening now. If SWTOR dies, the future of the MMO industry does too because funding for these type of games will dry up. Elder Scrolls will be the last big AAA game before Titan. If they both fail... get used to indie releases in the MMO space.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

After seeing the prices of some of the pay to play games on the iPad and the "extras" in free to plays, I'm not surprised at all. It's 5-10 dollars for 1 decoration in Smurf Village that I play with my son. When I cruise through other people's villages, some have clearly spent $100s just to decorate. :eek:

the prices are fine since you get a whole set of modable armor some unique looks like 1 of the robes cause it's only sold on the republic side vis versa only thing i would like them to do is make the items Bind on Legacy. For all those ppl saying they are to high they should just lower the price by like 10-15% ONLY IF YOU ARE A SUB just to make those ppl happy but i'm fine with how it is right now

My advice here is

Don't rush out and buy stuff just because it is in the shop

Wait for deals or for the prices to drop.

Each cash shop runs a little different and before you use one learn how this company uses its cash shop. It might very well be that all new item in the shop are marked up and next month a bunch of cool new items show up and the old items are reduced in price.

The only thing I'm upset about, is that there's not 300+ orange sets of armor for sale...

Patience, young padawan...

But yeah I know what you mean, too many reskinned versions of armor on there and not as much unique stuff as I'd hoped. But I have a feeling they'll be rolling a lot more out at a rapid pace. From my cash shop experience, putting new stuff in the shop gives them an excuse to write about it and link to the shop, so it doesn't just seem like generic promotion. "Check out the shop to see what new stuff we added" sounds less obnoxious than "Check out our shop!"

Also, I think some of that seems kinda high too, but I can understand why.

Because: Many people coming into this will have a lot of CC to spend. If everyone buys the same "exclusive" items, they'll seem less desirable ingame. How cool is it to have a rare/uncommon crystal if everyone else has one?

Edited by Stenrik

I HATE when they do crap like this "limited/seasonal item" business. "Get it now because it'll never, ever come back, so you gotta pay NOW or never!" They really know how to play to those who like to collect stuff. I really help Bioware holds off on that one. Edited by Stenrik

This is the price of vanity in a game. I'm vain and I have disposable income.

Tim wins the thread. :D

Believe me, a lot of the people that are upset about this will be purchasing the items themselves... and no one will know but Bioware and them. Anonymity allows them to be able to continue the crusade without being publicly compromised on their position.

Yep yep.