Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

CourtneyWoods

I've got really mixed feelings about the changes.

1. I thought the problem with resolve was that I can get a 15 second stun, my resolve hits 100% (but I do not break out of stun) by the time the 15 second stun is over my CC immunity is not at ~40% and falling fast, giving me a good 5 seconds where no one can stun me.

2. Resolve was meant to solve the problem of stunlock which in PVP games I still face. I get hit with multiple stuns and when they finish more stuns still work on me.

Less range for stuns is good. I would have loved to see Scoundrel get a move that pushes others :| don't know how many times I face someone in Huttball on a ledge and I know that I'm going to be pushed off and there is nothing I can do about it.

I suppose I'll enjoy sprinting back from the pit as I watch the force sensitive force leap back up.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight. The sage/sorc's main way to create separation with melee is Force wave/Overload. The main time we used it was when running away from someone. This change makes us need to face the target. This means we have to stop running or hope that we can hunter jump/turn/cast/re-turn. Thanks BW, but no thanks. Give us back our 360 pushback. Yes the fact that it is now instant is great, but the fact that I won't be able to use it defensively is utterly incomprehensible. Why is the snare/root protection on Force speed only for healers? Seriously that is a basic ability that needs to be either baseline or, at worst, in the first 2 levels of the healer tree so dps sages can get it too. Its not like you let sages dps on the move anyway, so a bit more defense for a clothwearer who has no personal damage reduction cd would be appreciated.

Dark Resilience/Valiance: Now additionally increases the healing dealt by Unnatural Preservation/Force Mend by 15% per point.

Is this a new ability? I cant seem to find it. So a maximum of 30% more healing from that spell? What is that 30% of?

Pro tip: it helps to read the dev comments before opining about them. :)

Just before the dev quote you reference, they said "New Sorcerer/Sage ability, Unnatural Preservation/Force Mend: Heal yourself for a moderate amount. Only usable on yourself. Instant, costs no Force, 30-second cooldown. This ability is trainable at level 18."

Dark Resilience/Valiance are existing talents that modify Consumption/Noble Sacrifice--they are not new. The new ability is Unnatural Preservation/Force Mend. It's insta-cast and only works on you, so think of it like a medpack. And per your later comment, since it's instant it shouldn't mess with your healing rotation.

Force Speed now has a 20-second cooldown (down from 30) for all Consulars and Inquisitors.

This is the most useless ability in the game. Its like a button you can push to trigger people's predatory instincts to attack you. It might help if the levels were more complex but they are all open plains and people lol at you and hookshot you/stun you. If it was immune to stun for like 75% of its duration or something it might have some escape use. I see it possibly helping to get you out of the range of stuns now since they aren't so uber long anymore.

Sorry, but I have to disagree there. Force Speed is by far one of the most essential abilities in both PVP and PVE. The fact that it will now have a reduced cooldown AND drop movement-impairing effects for 100% of its durations (if talented for Fadeout/Egress) makes it even more useful in both.

@all -- I think this is why most Sorcs aren't complaining too much about the Overload conal change. Because in PVP who cares if you can knock back an enemy a few yards if they can just close the gap and stun you again? With the change to Force Speed, you'll be able to immediately escape snares/roots (no trinket required!) and insta-heal yourself with Unnatural Preservation. Can't wait to see this in action on the PTS!

Edited by ArcaneXtasy

I play both a sage and a sorcerer. You just really hurt the class by making overload/force wave have a 120 angle arc. That makes it useless as a defense when you are trying to get someone who is hitting you from behind. Furthermore you made our only quick stun a 10 meter range. Seriously? So now we have to run into the range of melee classes range attacks if we want to stun. We are a ranged class!!! We need to fight at range. All we asked for was a dps increase with some defensive abilities...and instead you gave us a nerf to our cc (which is all we have going for us) and the ability to run away easier. Running away is what we disliked about the class...we want to stay in the fight and make a difference with damage. So to sum it up...you took away our ability to root an area with our force wave (now only able to do it in a 120 meter arc), forced us to enter melee class range to be force choked, and made it so we can run away more often. Congratulations on not listening to us by not giving us any dps increase and reducing our cc. You have officially killed the class. Edited by NICKjnp
Spelling

I think you missed the part about us having a instant cast free force self heal. Also having to move is something healers should have to do anyhow. Also consider the fun to be had in huttball and the new wz for throwing people into FIRE!!!

Overall I like the direction the devs are going with this. Really one minor nerf, and some good buffs. We will have to see about resolve in game, however, to really judge it.

no i didnt. the self heal is a band-aid for their 1.2 mess ups, and this is them not being forward enoguh with their community and just fixing it by making sorcs/sages pree 1.2 with respect to consumption.

and i have been knocking people into fire and green gas since closed beta with overload... no idea why u think we awere not able to...

u must have missed that part of the game for the past year.

I don't understand what you mean sorcs can't heal I heal EC just fine on my sorc. explain plz . :)

I was being hyperbolic. I'm just listing all the classes they have nerfed without looking back all in the name of PvP QQ'ers that need to L2P.

i can heal echm just fine on my sorc too... that doesnt mean that what they did in 1.2 was a good change, and the fact they gave us another GCD to sure their mess up just illustrates the point.

sorcs are the only ones that MUST use their health to do their job (tanks to this vicariously i guess).. if the group messes us, and they lose life, that means we have to lose life in order to save them, which often times makes us more vunerable.

So let me get this straight. The sage/sorc's main way to create separation with melee is Force wave/Overload. The main time we used it was when running away from someone. This change makes us need to face the target. This means we have to stop running or hope that we can hunter jump/turn/cast/re-turn. Thanks BW, but no thanks. Give us back our 360 pushback. Yes the fact that it is now instant is great, but the fact that I won't be able to use it defensively is utterly incomprehensible. Why is the snare/root protection on Force speed only for healers? Seriously that is a basic ability that needs to be either baseline or, at worst, in the first 2 levels of the healer tree so dps sages can get it too. Its not like you let sages dps on the move anyway, so a bit more defense for a clothwearer who has no personal damage reduction cd would be appreciated.

i gotta agree with this. overload and force wave are fine the way that they are. the 360 is what makes it a defensive thing. everyone is pushed back.

So once again PVP interferes with PVE. Why must what makes pvpers happy almost always negatively impact pve players? Seriously BW separate PVP from PVE completely.

I solo content and overload was very useful for knocking enemys away when I become surrounded. And now it is a good 60% less effective because of PVP? Thanks a lot.

Oh AND you plan to nerf my stun? Are you trying to make PVE an unhappy experience, because that is exactly what you are doing.

Edited by OrmEmber

i gotta agree with this. overload and force wave are fine the way that they are. the 360 is what makes it a defensive thing. everyone is pushed back.

I agree... it's an "everyone get away from me" ability... Not an "Everyone on this side of me get away from me" ability....

Even more importantly, I used it to detect stealthers. Now that's been completely impaired.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, the other change I'd love to see is the Agent's Shield probe.

I'm regularly in battles where this gets 1 hitted away. I'm literally facing 1 enemy and they one shot me and disable the shield. Even that 1 shot still does damage. I thought this was a bug at first, and maybe it is. But can this be changed to a % decrease of incoming damage? Or put the value higher? Is this supposed to be based on my 1800 - 1900 cunning?

Having a talent that increases healing while this is up makes it a little useless. I put the shield up as I start to get attacked and in under a second its gone. No more increaesed healing. Otherwise I'm using it out of combat, and then it doesn't work as a shield anyway.

They just made Force Speed remove all stuns and snare and lowered the cooldown to 20s. Those are AWESOME buffs in exchange for the cone Overload.

it already did that with proper skill points allocation...

which leads me to reinforce that the change to overload is absolutely horrible, so it hit "unintended" targets that was a good thing not a bad thing by far :mad:

its a good thing i despise inquisitor pvp anyways would be pissed if they ended up doing this for cover pulse too would make snipers sooo squishy

We are getting a 30 meter interrupt and no range nerf to our CC. You should be offering a goat in sacrifice, not complaining.

And that helps me how when I'm surrounded by a mob of angry Rakghouls ?

Maybe everyone else should just learn not to run into a room and P/O everyone in it instead.

Yeah it sucks when I accidentally disturb a nearby baddy (or worse a nearby mob) but I should have been more careful with my attacks and not let it spread out, you know, use some tactics.

Too bad the article didn't start with l "We’re confident that these changes create a more predictable, readable, and ultimately enjoyable PvP experience." , I could have just stopped reading from there. For me that's a big N/A.

I will say this though "Austin Peckenpaugh", what an awesome name! Sounds like you should be a international man of something!

At least you can actually interrupt someone planting or capping at 30M by shooting your basic attack at them... how is my shadow supposed to accomplish this with NO attacks now at 30m?? And before anyone says "pull", not all shadows have this... and even so, it's a 45 sec cool down.

force potency bumps project to 30m. voila

Level 86 valor Pyro Merc here...

Not really sure if these are good changes or not. I gave up Thermal Det just to have the knockback on rocket punch so I can kite.

Do you have any plans to restructure kiting/melee range? Currently it heavily favors Jedi and engagement abilities.

---

Also, when can we expect you to have an active tweeter to bounce feedback off of users?

Edited by Jurgen-Ferik

Indeed there are 16 PVP planets in this game, with thousands voice acted stories to level in PVP with many PVP items that you can get as you easily level in PVP while you are eating your CHEESYBURGER, while there is only 1 PVE world, where everybody is PVPing anyway, and a couple of PVE warzones, where you poor PVEer carebears can level your few PVE equipment.

GO AND TAKE A NAP NAB!

when i said gameplay i meant the manner in which the game executes functions after attaempting to enable some ability. I did not mean the plot, storyline, sandbox, themepark etc.

sorry for the confusion.

The resolve change is terrible without a full resolve bar actually breaking the current CC. all this change means is I will spend longer controlled.

There needs to be a break on % damage received so I don't die in 1-2 stun durations.

I don't think dev's actually read the feedback... here's a test:

Devs, if you read the threads where you ask for discussion just say "yes we do" or something along those lines.

If you don't, I'm gonna shoot a jawa, steal his faulty protocol droids and kick the huttball, and ransom satele shan for 1billion credits. How would I get satele you ask? Use new stealth abilities to sneak up and put force shackles on her, then have vanguards stand at 4m ready to roll her face until you pay up.

So we make an abillity we have to use on the tank Kolto Missle , stun enemies for 3 seconds . With all the kiting involved I hope there is a boss immunity to this .

Where is our Kolto Missle and whatever the agent AOE equivelant is hits 8 targets instead of 4 like the sorcs does ?