A SWTOR vs GW2 Comparison

waterboytkd

here's the best comparison i can give.

swtor was a over hyped game that is on it's last legs.

gw2 is only still around due to b2p. if gw2 was a normal p2w mmo or a sub mmo it would have been on it's last legs years ago. both games are p2w. both games don't care about pvp and care more about small updates.

Wrong--if they hadn't killed CoH to fund GW2 hemorrhaging money, it would have died coming out of the gate.

That's what you mean to say.

Edited by Djiini

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, there we have the problem. You have played only hot join, which is a kind of test mode if you want to try something fast. The Reg Warzone here corresponds to the GW2 Unranked arena and Ranked here as there has the same name.

Ahh. Well, I will have to go back and try Unranked Arena then. :)

here's the best comparison i can give.

swtor was a over hyped game that is on it's last legs.

gw2 is only still around due to b2p. if gw2 was a normal p2w mmo or a sub mmo it would have been on it's last legs years ago. both games are p2w. both games don't care about pvp and care more about small updates.

GW2 cares about PvP, even now they still harbour ambitions of it becoming a fully fledged esport. They're dreaming of course and completely misguided as to pvp development but it means lots of resources are put into it.

ETA: 1 good thing I notice that swtor should adopt is in unranked once the teams have been matched you all get to choose which map you want out of 3 it then determines the map via weighted rng.

Edited by Morrolan

And that is a fault of EQ2? What do you suggest, they pay people to play with you?

Not at all! EQ2 has wonderful gameplay and content. I played it exclusively for years. I was only saying that it's really not an MMO anymore, just an 'O' :) That doesn't mean it can't be fun, just don't go there expecting to see anyone other than NPC's until endgame.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for necro :p

But... I had to try the GW2 because I found this thread on the internet. So yeah I have to say, I am pretty hooked up, for now... Maybe because it is something new to me, some new start. Feels fresh. I like the combat system, classes and the environment. And the fact that there is always a plenty of ppl around, not like in SWTOR. On the other hand the game sometimes feels almost "metrosexualish" :D

Still having SWTOR account though. Well just because friends play and (surprise) we sometimes love to roll in GSF. And it is Star Wars, although my love for SW was kind of shattered by latest IV episode (I mean VII episode of course).

Butt 2 - meanwhile everyone feels superexcited about the new content of KotFE I feel pretty bored about it. For me, it's like some kind of republic extension of story (yeah, maybe for Sith force users is nice too). The impression I get is that now we are the good guys no matter reps or imps (let's call us repsoims). So repsoims must save the galaxy blah blah... Story feels lame to me.

Bioware tries to keep me subbed by adding cca 10 min of story each month? LOL. And I am not talking about PvP which is one of my main interests...

Just my 5 cents.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for even worse necro , But if you think swtor's pvp is better than gw 2 then theres something wrong

Does swtor have literally servers of hundreds of players at once CONSTANTLY destroying others castles in world vs world like content? swtor is based more around pve than it is pvp at least when compared to guidwars 2 LOL

Sorry for even worse necro , But if you think swtor's pvp is better than gw 2 then theres something wrong

Does swtor have literally servers of hundreds of players at once CONSTANTLY destroying others castles in world vs world like content? swtor is based more around pve than it is pvp at least when compared to guidwars 2 LOL

Agreed, this thread is nearly as current as it was when it was started 3 years ago. Especially for pvp which has actually gotten worse when it comes to gearing,

I encourage people to have a read through the pvp part of the OPs post to see the differences in what GW2 does with pvp and why swtor would benefit greatly from a system like this.

Also note, that Gw2 is still more successful and going stronger than swtor ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

GW 2 Mount system is the best mount system ever made. Its simply sublime. I only have unlocked the first mount, the raptor which is animated beautifully. The run speed and the way it leaps a decent distance is wonderful. There are various mount types for various terrain traveling ( eg: manta ray that allows water surface riding) and once you receive the mount ( via quests) on your main doing the latest expack (where you obtain all the various mounts) it becomes available to use (at no extra cost) for all your characters.

Brief intro to mounts:

More detailed info:

GW 2 Mount system is the best mount system ever made. Its simply sublime. I only have unlocked the first mount, the raptor which is animated beautifully. The run speed and the way it leaps a decent distance is wonderful. There are various mount types for various terrain traveling ( eg: manta ray that allows water surface riding) and once you receive the mount ( via quests) on your main doing the latest expack (where you obtain all the various mounts) it becomes available to use (at no extra cost) for all your characters.

Brief intro to mounts:

More detailed info:

IKR, that raptor is awesome :D

What's actually funny is that most of the veteran WvW players claim the devs don't care at all for that game mode. It sounds a lot like what's being said for PvP over here. :p

Another thing is the often expressed feeling that bugs only get fixed when it's concerning the gem shop or the precious PvE. That also sounds familiar... :D

I don't play PvP there, only WvW, and that one's pretty unbalanced. There's classes that can down you in two gcds, out of stealth, no real time to counter. All you can hope for is luck. :p Not to mention that some unlinked servers are on their own and are getting stomped by linked servers because they can't produce the numbers to go against them.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy WvW and the game (not a huge fan of the story though), but GW2 has its own problems.

Congrats to whoever necro'ed this years old thread. Watch the view-spam now.

plus, SWTOR have quality storyline with nice voice acting. GW2,ESO,BDO,Wow have absolutely zero story and story without voice acting means nothing to me and to most people. Hiring 3 people for 200 NPCs is a bad joke also.

You just can't simply compare SWTOR to any other game, its doesn't work like that :sy_inventory:

I played GW2 long long ago but decide to leave (even if I pay no sub). I enjoy the PvP in the game especially WvWvW (large scale PvP which unfortunately and sadly is missing in SWTOR). The only SINGLE reason I decided to leave GW2 is that it required you to PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in the event of death in WvWvW. I cannot take this nonsense and decided that I will want to have no linkage to that individual in GW2 who decided that paying for GEAR REPAIR in PvP (large scale PvP) is a good idea.

SWTOR will always win GW2 in my own opinion because you don't have to pay for gear repair for PvP death. That in itself is enough for me to pay monthly sub for SWTOR against playing for free in GW2. I will pay for sub but I WILL NOT PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in GW2 WvWvW.

plus, SWTOR have quality storyline with nice voice acting. GW2,ESO,BDO,Wow have absolutely zero story and story without voice acting means nothing to me and to most people. Hiring 3 people for 200 NPCs is a bad joke also.

You just can't simply compare SWTOR to any other game, its doesn't work like that :sy_inventory:

In the past SWTOR, with dialogue choices, class quests, chapters, planetary story lines and side quests, and companions and love interests, had much better story content than GW2. However, for SWTOR they have stopped making all of that content. Keith has pretty much abandoned story content. When was the last time we had a chapter released? Or a planet with a planetary quest line? My character's li had a 2-minute return. Will that li ever be part of the story again?

Current GW2 story is better than current SWTOR story content and comes out much more frequently. GW2 has quarterly story releases that, while you can bring others along, are designed as solo content. It does this while having no monthly subscription fee. Along with the free quarterly releases, it has regularly released paid expansions that contain a lot of story content. They have also always been strong on open world causal group content (such as world bosses and meta events that are easy to join).

I played GW2 long long ago but decide to leave (even if I pay no sub). I enjoy the PvP in the game especially WvWvW (large scale PvP which unfortunately and sadly is missing in SWTOR). The only SINGLE reason I decided to leave GW2 is that it required you to PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in the event of death in WvWvW. I cannot take this nonsense and decided that I will want to have no linkage to that individual in GW2 who decided that paying for GEAR REPAIR in PvP (large scale PvP) is a good idea.

SWTOR will always win GW2 in my own opinion because you don't have to pay for gear repair for PvP death. That in itself is enough for me to pay monthly sub for SWTOR against playing for free in GW2. I will pay for sub but I WILL NOT PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in GW2 WvWvW.

Does GW2 still require you to pay for gear repair in pvp? They removed that requirement years ago in pve, and it might be the same for pvp?

Brief intro to mounts:

More detailed info:

Wait until you get the Griffon! :) I also love the shrine guardian jackal skin.

Edited by Ciarayn

In the past SWTOR, with dialogue choices, class quests, chapters, planetary story lines and side quests, and companions and love interests, had much better story content than GW2. However, for SWTOR they have stopped making all of that content. Keith has pretty much abandoned story content. When was the last time we had a chapter released? Or a planet with a planetary quest line? My character's li had a 2-minute return. Will that li ever be part of the story again?

Current GW2 story is better than current SWTOR story content and comes out much more frequently. GW2 has quarterly story releases that, while you can bring others along, are designed as solo content. It does this while having no monthly subscription fee. Along with the free quarterly releases, it has regularly released paid expansions that contain a lot of story content. They have also always been strong on open world causal group content (such as world bosses and meta events that are easy to join).

Does GW2 still require you to pay for gear repair in pvp? They removed that requirement years ago in pve, and it might be the same for pvp?

Wait until you get the Griffon! :) I also love the shrine guardian jackal skin.

All that happens because of EA, the greedy publisher. Don't blame to BioWare, developers have no any control on their own games nowadays, its the publishers pulls the triggers all the time, you just can't say "Keith abandoned story content" its rude.

Also, GW2 have no any story. "Living World" is not a story content, if you call that a story, then its safe to assume you don't know what story is, no offense by the way.

Edited by ShieldProtection

All that happens because of EA, the greedy publisher. Don't blame to BioWare, developers have no any control on their own games nowadays, its the publishers pulls the triggers all the time, you just can't say "Keith abandoned story content" its rude.

Also, GW2 have no any story. "Living World" is not a story content, if you call that a story, then its safe to assume you don't know what story is, no offense by the way.

You could describe Gw2 as nearly a sandbox MMO. But it still has story. When was the last time you played it? I’ll admit I only started last year, but there is definitely story in it.

Also, you can’t just blame EA, a lot of the decisions are made by the developers or head of the Bioware Studio. EA pull purse strings and push monetarisation addons for the game’s. They don’t really care about the nitty gritty content as long as it makes them money and fits their money making model.

James Ohlen (original lead on swtor) recently said this after he left Bioware

Interviewer : Conversely, do you have any regrets? Anything you wish you were able to push through while you were there?

James : With Star Wars: The Old Republic I wish that I pushed a little bit more toward making it kind of Knights of The Republic online rather than “Star Wars World of Warcraft.”

He goes on to explain how EA don’t control the creative decisions in the studio. You can read it all here if you are interested

https://www.gameinformer.com/interview/2018/07/23/james-ohlen-talks-about-leaving-bioware-the-state-of-anthem-and-his-future

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Lmao like 10 comments since I last checked

I haven't seen guildwars 2's cs support but if u read the "Lovely cs portal" I made you will see why swtor cs is bad

lol

I can take a guess which class most of our recent posters are in guildwars 2

Necromancers :3

(Or revenants possibly idk)

Meme meme meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also guildwars 2's storyline aint bad , Not as cinematic but the gameplay is extensive and on one map , You actually have to explore the map instead of just fly around in your magical planet jumper

Also

Max lvl , f2p , Decent gear , f2p (yet to have sigils but gw 2's f2p experience is by far better than swtor's f2p experience hell I had to buy a subscription to even enjoy this game!)

What's actually funny is that most of the veteran WvW players claim the devs don't care at all for that game mode. It sounds a lot like what's being said for PvP over here. :p

Another thing is the often expressed feeling that bugs only get fixed when it's concerning the gem shop or the precious PvE. That also sounds familiar... :D

LOL.. yep.. different MMO.. same memes and complaints. I guess the old saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is very applicable with the average MMO player. :)

PvP is better in some MMOs though.. regardless what the naysayers claim in any particular gaming forum. IMO, GW2 PvP is better than SWTOR PvP.. but that is not saying much. I think the reason PvP is even still a thing here at SWTOR is you have avid SW fans who want to channel their inner sith or jedi.

Edited by Andryah

I think the reason PvP is even still a thing here at SWTOR is you have avid SW fans who want to channel their inner sith or jedi.

That’s pretty much the only reason I’m still playing this game. If I could find another SW game that let me pvp as a Jedi or Sith or even a proper SW space sim, I would be gone so fast the door wouldn’t have time to hit me in back.

I find the GW2 community to be quite toxic nowadays. The balance has never been this bad and content is so repetitive there's no point trying out anything new.

At least SWTOR allows me to spend hours upon hours just going through the story content. That's enough for me.

I find the GW2 community to be quite toxic nowadays. The balance has never been this bad and content is so repetitive there's no point trying out anything new.

At least SWTOR allows me to spend hours upon hours just going through the story content. That's enough for me.

I actually think the swtor community is much more toxic than GW2, especially in pvp.

I actually think the swtor community is much more toxic than GW2, especially in pvp.

I thought the GW2 Community was okayish until the pitchforks came out when a story dev got into an argument with an influencer or something on her private twitter. Granted she seemingly overreacted and wasn't exactly polite, but the level of hatred that followed was... just wow. A lot of people felt personally insulted and reacted accordingly. I thought it was scary.

In game I feel it's not better or much worse than here. WvW frequently has people arguing in map and team chat and I occasionally get butthurt whispers from opponents. The boss blitz of the current festival also provokes a lot of complaining because somehow everyone else but one or two pros is doing it wrong. :D