Non RPers in RP realms due to server queues

Shakoba

I wonder if this is happening, because of larger server queues in the non RP marked realms will we see an influx of people who have no interest in RP simply to avoid queues? :confused:

There is PvE and PvP servers where there are no quenues at all, but we have long quenues on RP servers.

It is a shame indeed, and it may be that huge amount of people with no interest in RP at all, but who just wants to hang around in a "nicer" community, that causes these quenues, or it is maybe just that many more people got interested in RP because of Biowares style - we wouldn't know.

If it is the very first option is rather disrespectful, as there seem to be a lot more RP'ers who are very interested in getting on the server.

But we gotta welcome people with open arms :)

It's a problem in every MMO with RP servers, the majority of the population will either have no desire to roleplay or no idea of what it is.

Get used to it, no company so far has favoured sticking up for the smaller RP community over the vast non-rp one and as such any/most reports of such detrimental behaviour go largely unpunished.

I doubt we're seeing that now. The RP servers filled up first because there were less of them. Why would someone go to an RP server if there was a less occupied non-RP server available to them?

That being said, I've yet to see any RP... but without chat bubbles I may simply be missing it.

I see RP everywhere. Then again, I'm not really dependent on chat bubbles! Only ever toggle 'em on in very crowded settings. I don't want to miss text emotes, which is where your good roleplayers really shine with subtle work, and they tend not to get picked up in bubbles.

On Lord Adraas I've seen RP every time I've gone into the Republic Fleet's central cantina. Randomly around the grid in different spots there have been groups talking. Usually at the entrances to flashpoints or cab stops. I'm getting guilt tripped on Coruscant by the occasional individual or group of RPers strolling casually along the main strip using "/" walk. (I'm sorry guys, I respect the hell out of you, but I got places to go and things to do!).

I know the main RP scene is Nar Shaddaa but I haven't even gotten there yet.

There are also IC RP channels on Lord Adraas where I assume RP is going on. They're faction affiliated though and my character is currently an independent so I don't listen in.

People are also itchy to get in game and aren't very observational. It's easy for a non RPer to choose a RP server, especially if it has a cool name.

RP server? Why the heck not? This is an RPG isn't it? Did we not come here to play an RPG. And RP is two of those three letters.

Easy to just say "Ah, this is the one I need to go to." when in reality they want a rp-pve. :)

Its going to happen and is completely unavoidable. It happens for many reasons. I believe many people join thinking it will be fun, but they are timid because they do not know exactly how to roleplay. I've heard of some people joining these servers because they seem to think it automatically means less/easier competition for raids and PvP type activities. In the end, it really can be irrelevant to the RP community on a server as long as the RP community stays active on a given server. As long as you have activity, you will attract the roleplayers. As you attract more roleplayers, those players who are not just seem to fade into background.

Two out of the three servers I rolled characters on were RP servers and had a heavy to full population well before the release date, and these were chock full of players who made it blatantly obvious they had no interest in roleplay. It's just one of those unfortunate things that you have to deal with on RP servers. Though, it's always fun to see players with names like Captcandypants spam general for a flashpoint or heroic group for thirty minutes and nobody answers. Edited by DarthBetraeus

Im with Darth_Slaine on this one. Ive had folks stop and engage me in character, and responded in kind, even if it is just a nod in passing or a hello. And it seems the ones doing so are the ones new to rp servers more often than not.

I've been rather bothered by absolute ANTI-roleplay players jumping on to Lord Adraas. They're openly opposed to roleplay, and disrespectful to those who don't share the same sentiment...

While, sure, General chat may not be the best place for it, especially while people are bound to have game mechanics questions and want to figure out how things work; it's really not cool to come on an RP server and talk down on those who're interested in full immersion.

I'm not even that gung-ho, myself. I'd just play along and very much enjoy the more laid back atmosphere. I Love Star Wars lore and the environment BioWare presents us. These people don't need to come on to an RP server and make immature remarks about its inhabitants...

Grow up, you know? :(

General chat is OOC in every MMO I've played. Say/spatial and several player created channels are IC though.

I haven't run into any griefers or anti-RP folks yet on Lord Adraas but there will eventually be at least a few. I've seen folks with dumb names. That's really as bad as I've seen so far. Of course that was prelaunch.

I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but if one is a RP noob and is interested in getting into it, what are the do's and don'ts? Obviously you should chat in character, but are you supposed to avoid the General chat? Are bubbles preferred? Is there an RP way to say "nice toon" and not sound like a creep?

What can you tell me that would help me avoid being one of the annoying people you are complaining about in this thread?

Thanks!

Trying to maintain a Roleplay environment on an RP server is a futile effort at best. Even Blizzard realized the futility of it on their own RP Servers after the first year. I think it's fair to say that if you play on an RP server, you should be fairly warned that you may experience actually serious RPers. But non-rpers should not be penalized. They just want to play the game and the RP server happens to be the one that they joined for whatever reason.

My fellow RPers, come down off your lofty thrones of self-worth and join your common man in just freakin enjoying the game.

Propecius: There's no way to avoid being complained about! I get complained about! "That OddjobXL's such a know-it-all..."

The very simplest explanation for how to get by (and avoid derailing this thread) is simply to talk like a character in /say.

If you want to talk as a player to another player, not as your character but as yourself, send a /tell <character name> and say hi! Telling someone they've got a cool character or nice name or whatever isn't at all weird or creepy. Just don't always expect a response. Some people are private. It's not them or you being rude it's just life. Keep on being nice though. Most of us appreciate it.

Don't avoid General chat. You'll need it for mechanical reasons (finding people for heroic instances) and also sometimes get useful tips as people chat. Just don't get into arguments there, don't be critical, and if people are being insufferably annoying for any reason...just turn it off for a while. You can always turn it back on later.

For more I'd suggest checking out http://www.swtor-rp.com. There are tons of articles and a very friendly forum full of currently bored people waiting in queues who'll love to help a new potential roleplayer out.

Edited by OddjobXL

Thanks, Oddjob. Very helpful.

As for what's nice about someone's toon, well, there are lots of choices to make in creating a character, even down to the character's name. Some of them are clever. Some are smexy. And some I just wish I had thought of myself.

I suppose it could be breaking the spirit of RP to acknowledge that there was intelligent design behind the creation of these avatars. That's why I asked.

I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but if one is a RP noob and is interested in getting into it, what are the do's and don'ts? Obviously you should chat in character, but are you supposed to avoid the General chat? Are bubbles preferred? Is there an RP way to say "nice toon" and not sound like a creep?

What can you tell me that would help me avoid being one of the annoying people you are complaining about in this thread?

Thanks!

The key is respect other players. But the fact that you took the effort to make this post I doubt that will be an issue with you. No matter what, people will find a reason to complain about your particular style. From lore nazis who lack the common courtesy to overlook small discrepancies or tactfully correct you, to elitest chodes who only interact with people of the same level; you're going to have folks that ruin RP on both sides of the fence. There's about a thousand different bits of advice anyone can give on RP but in all its a learning experience and it takes time, rush it and it becomes a chore. Create a concept for your character and roll with it. Change and adapt as necessary and have fun.

Role players are a niche group and you will always have many non-rpers on these servers.

Don't worry about it. The RP community takes care of itself so long as we focus on doing what we enjoy and resist the urge to fall into the same trap that wrecks other rp communities by acting like judgmental *****s.