Is there any lightsaber colour associated with neutrality?

Atnas

I intended to play a character that is sort of middleground. That is to say, a Jedi Knight Guardian (ingame) that will respond more to emotions and feelings, without going overly obsessive about it like Siths do.

This is mainly because I always felt the Jedis are a bit rigid and almost childish when it comes to emotions and stuff, while the Sith... well they are just evil and do bad things for the sake of doing bad things. I mean you can't even enter relationships and have family, because it all leads "to suffering"? Bah, why do anything, since it potentially can lead to suffering.

I always liked jolee bindo from kotor 1, and Kreia from kotor 2 really made me think about some of the choices I made that at first seemed obvious, but that I did not realize the possible outcomes of.

So, to symbolize this I thought I'd try and take a lightsaber colour fitting for it? I know it's a bit silly, but I do like building a character a bit to enhance my gameplay :) Altough I've always found blue quite stylish, I believe it's only for Light users... I think?

Edited by Atnas

Judging by the amount of purple lightsabers I've seen on the imperial fleet, I suspect everyone has a pocket mace windu to steal purple crystals from :p

Is there any special reason for Yellow/Orange, or is it because neutral characters usually had those colours?

Judging by the amount of purple lightsabers I've seen on the imperial fleet, I suspect everyone has a pocket mace windu to steal purple crystals from :p

Is there any special reason for Yellow/Orange, or is it because neutral characters usually had those colours?

They are colors that are not resticted based upon your LS/DS points(though the restirction is stupid in the first place)

It's more that they aren't iconic colors of either side.

When you think of Light aligned Jedi, greens and blues are the primary colors seen.

When you think of Dark aligned Jedi/Sith, red is the prominent color.

Orange-Freedon Nadd, Darth Maul(books/comics)

denotes pure evil, enjoying the power of the dark side and is loyal to it

Yellow-Lowbacca, Darth Roakill

denotes people who believe in greater understanding of the force outside jedi beliefs, but is aware of the dark sides dangers, allows jedi's to come close to the dark side---neutral

Purple-Mace Windu, Jaina Solo

both characters strayed close to the dark side(Jaina fell but got redeemed), means potential to go to the dark side is there

Blue-Anakin, Obi-Wan

means warrior or defender using the arts of a lightsaber. characters with this colour are good with wielding the saber and like to take action

Green-Yoda, Qui-gon, Luke(episode 6)

use the force to carry out battle. have much understanding of the force and are calm and intelligent

Red-Sidious, Dooku, Vader

obviously the dark side, synthesized crystals therefore they are not natural. shows how sith manipulate the force instead of letting the force guide them

Edited by Softshell

They are just colors, Jedi tend to avoid red since it's a color of passion etc and sith tend to use it because of the same reasons, and because natural crystals are supposed to be scarce in sith space and most synthesized crystals turn out red.

I'd say Blue or green

Orange-Freedon Nadd, Darth Maul(books/comics)

denotes pure evil, enjoying the power of the dark side and is loyal to it

Yellow-Lowbacca, Darth Roakill

denotes people who believe in greater understanding of the force outside jedi beliefs, but is aware of the dark sides dangers, allows jedi's to come close to the dark side---neutral

Purple-Mace Windu, Jaina Solo

both characters strayed close to the dark side(Jaina fell but got redeemed), means potential to go to the dark side is there

Blue-Anakin, Obi-Wan

means warrior or defender using the arts of a lightsaber. characters with this colour are good with wielding the saber and like to take action

Green-Yoda, Qui-gon, Luke(episode 6)

use the force to carry out battle. have much understanding of the force and are calm and intelligent

Red-Sidious, Dooku, Vader

obviously the dark side, synthesized crystals therefore they are not natural. shows how sith manipulate the force instead of letting the force guide them

Yeah...I don't agree with that at all. Orange, Purple, Silver, White, Yellow (suppose to be sentinel color) , Black, Cyan....Bronze and all of those....even REGULAR Red are neutral.

Green, Blue and CRIMSON are Jedi and Sith colors. Though there have been dark jedi that used blue and green so I say...White and Crimson should be the "only" light side dark side restricted colors.

There are no neutral colors, just like there are no inherently dark or light colors, there are just colors. The movies set the precedent of blue/green jedi (of all alignments) and red for sith (of all alignments). In game blue/green are light sided, red is dark, beyond that all the other colors are mechanically neutral. In lore no body cares who used what color, because at this point in time every color was common place.

If you are talking about neutrality like the in-game system, I'd say purple. It's a blend of red and blue.

According to the highest source of canon (Lucasfilm), Lightsaber colors are in no way associated with Alignment. It's completely the choice of the wielder.

So any color works for any alignment.

Indeed. The red lightsabre is simply the expression of the dark side in my opinion. Synthetic crystals as opposed to natural ones in a hue that speaks of passion. Red, hot fury. The Jedi don't use them because of the symbolism, not because it leads them to the dark side or can't touch them.

In game Yellow/Orange/Magenta/White (if it actually exists)

In lore there is no lore supporting color restrictions. Sith Saber tend to be red bc the crystals are synthetic since Jedi have strongholds on most planets where crystals are found naturally. However, as someone else noted Freedon Nadd and other Sith used different colors. Likewise red may be frowned upon by the Jedi Council for it's connection with the Sith it is not forbidden much like double-bladed lightsabers which is frowned upon bc it is viewed as a more efficient tool for killing rather than a weapon suitable for a peacekeeper.

Indeed. The red lightsabre is simply the expression of the dark side in my opinion. Synthetic crystals as opposed to natural ones in a hue that speaks of passion. Red, hot fury. The Jedi don't use them because of the symbolism, not because it leads them to the dark side or can't touch them.

While I can definitely see the direction you're coming from, I believe it's much simpler than that.

Originally, Luke and Vader's lightsabers were both blue. But because Lucas was influenced by Samurai flicks and Westerns, he thought the audience would enjoy the "white hat/black hat" visual technique from those movies.

In case you're not familar, because old Westerns (and Samurai) movies were black and white, it was sometimes difficult to tell who the bad guys and who the good guys were. So the "good guys" always wore white hats, and the "bad guys" wore black hats. But just because someone was a good guy didn't mean he was incapable of wearing a black hat.

Of course, once technicolor became available, this technique was no longer necessary. But it became a stylistic choice. It's no different with SW. While "most" bad guys use red lightsabers because of the visual technique, that doesn't mean ALL do. And it certainly doesn't mean that good guys can't.

The restriction is ridiculous and ineffective anyway. There are people who choose all light or all dark options just for their lightsaber color anyway... there's no reason to restrict the player's story choices just for color. There is literally no argument that supports color restrictions.

While I can definitely see the direction you're coming from, I believe it's much simpler than that.

Originally, Luke and Vader's lightsabers were both blue. But because Lucas was influenced by Samurai flicks and Westerns, he thought the audience would enjoy the "white hat/black hat" visual technique from those movies.

In case you're not familar, because old Westerns (and Samurai) movies were black and white, it was sometimes difficult to tell who the bad guys and who the good guys were. So the "good guys" always wore white hats, and the "bad guys" wore black hats. But just because someone was a good guy didn't mean he was incapable of wearing a black hat.

Of course, once technicolor became available, this technique was no longer necessary. But it became a stylistic choice. It's no different with SW. While "most" bad guys use red lightsabers because of the visual technique, that doesn't mean ALL do. And it certainly doesn't mean that good guys can't.

I do believe you're missing the point of the thread, sir. Your explanation, while true and valid, is not very useful in these kinds of discussions. See, while "because George Lucas made it that way" is technically the actual answer to this (and essentially every other) question about SW canon, it does nothing to satisfy to person who asked it.

For example: Why do Zabraks have facial tattoos?

a) Another of the traits that made Zabrak instantly recognizable were their facial tattoos, which were made up of thin lines received during their rite of passage. These could symbolize many things, including but not limited to family lineage, place of birth, or even a design that reflected their individual personalities.

b) George Lucas thought it looked cool for this villain in that one really bad movie.

Both are correct, but only one is any fun or helps the discussion along in any way :p

Edited by tehlawlrus

Yellow is in my opinion the most neutral of the colors. Makes sense too, as yellow is the third primary color besides red and blue. Orange you get when you apply some red to yellow, and green you get when you apply blue to yellow. It all makes sense to have this sliding scale of good/bad. :cool:

Good

Blue

green

yellow

orange

red

Bad

Now we can theorize what does this mean about the persons alignment who is using certain-colored lightsabre. White and magenta are bit special cases. Magenta you get by mixing blue and red. White you get is when you mix light of all colors (additive color mixing).

What I don't understand though is why same level orange crystals seem to always be better than red crystals in the game..

Edited by Karkais

I do believe you're missing the point of the thread, sir. Your explanation, while true and valid, is not very useful in these kinds of discussions. See, while "because George Lucas made it that way" is technically the actual answer to this (and essentially every other) question about SW canon, it does nothing to satisfy to person who asked it.

For example: Why do Zabraks have facial tattoos?

a) Another of the traits that made Zabrak instantly recognizable were their facial tattoos, which were made up of thin lines received during their rite of passage. These could symbolize many things, including but not limited to family lineage, place of birth, or even a design that reflected their individual personalities.

b) George Lucas thought it looked cool for this villain in that one really bad movie.

Both are correct, but only one is any fun or helps the discussion along in any way :p

The difference is that the Lore also explains perfectly that color has nothing to do with alignment (not just Lucasfilm saying so).

The EU lore is filled with Jedi and Sith using any color they wish. It's a well-known fact within EU that any Force-user can use any crystal they can get their hands on. Luke created his green crystal synthetically... meaning that any color is possible through synthetic crystal creation... and that synthetic crystal creation is not limited solely to dark side techniques.

While the "common" colors of Sith and Jedi are red, blue, and green (due to established explanations in lore), there is no restriction on them.

And it does help to understand that the color choice is completely arbitrary... The only reason purple even existed is because it's Sam Jackson's favorite color. :p

And this isnt a discussion about colour restrictions.

so simmer down.

(its a discussion about what colours are regarded as "neutral" just as some colours are regarded as "evil" or "good", even though there is no restriction in the lore.)

I thought the :p in my post would be a clue that I don't rage about stuff. I use bolding to emphasize important words... like it's normally used.

But in any case, my point is pertinent to the topic. There are no "neutrality" colors, because there are no "good" or "evil" colors.

In the immortal words of Lucasfilm: "They're lightsabers, not mood rings."

Edited by Sai-to

Light Side:

Blue, Green, Red, Crimson, Veridian, Cyan, Purple, Orange, Silver/White, Yellow.

Dark Side:

Blue, Green, Red, Crimson, Veridian, Cyan, Purple, Orange, Silver/White, Yellow.

"Grey:"