Monitor keeps spasming, graphics card problem?

Burcol

Hi.

A few months ago, I started having a problem while running TOR. My computer monitor would keep ‘splitting’ and cover the screen with black horizontal lines, like this:

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Zurcol/media/IMG_0242_zps6da4bb7b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Zurcol/media/IMG_0241_zps06b6faf1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Zurcol/media/IMG_0240_zpse8fa8e63.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/Zurcol/media/IMG_0230_zps947eda79.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3#/user/Zurcol/media/IMG_0513_zpsd69467e0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3&_suid=137151209182308991996386447408

I can fix this by restarting my computer. But when it happens, it makes TOR unplayable, as you can probably imagine.

I originally thought this was an overheating issue. So after changing the position of my computer, giving it an extremely thorough cleaning out and installing an additional 120mm case fan, I tried TOR again. I played for a few hours on my Sith Warrior just doing dailies on Corellia and Illum. It ran perfectly. This issue didn’t happen once. I didn’t play the day later due to being busy. The next day I start a Bounty Hunter. The intro scene didn’t even finish and the issue came back. I checked my computer temperature and it was only 41 degrees, thus ruling out an overheating issue.

So, could this be an issue with my graphics card and having to replace it or buy a new one? My friend built my computer after I brought the parts, which is the following:

Sapphire HD 6950 "Dual Fan Edition" 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (ST500DM002) HDD

Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX)

Intel Core i5-2300 2.80GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor

OCZ ZS Series 550W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Asus P8H61-M Intel H61 Chipset (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Xigmatek Asgard Midi Tower Case – Black

And the additional 120mm case fan I recently added: Scythe - Case Fan - 120 mm - 110 CFM - 1900 RPM - KAZE-JYUNI - SY1225SL12SH

What do you guys think? Is it an issue with my graphics card, which will need to be replaced? Also, I use the Catalyst Control Center. If anyone else uses it, could it be something as simple as changing the settings on that?

You are only using the one monitor, right?

Is your video card set for single display only?

Another thing to do is try hooking your PC up to another monitor, rule out whether it is a monitor or PC problem.

If it still happens on another monitor (if you don't have another monitor, you must know someone who does have one, it will not hurt their monitor for the purposes of this test), then we know it is a PC problem.

The next step would be to uninstall the graphic drivers, then remove your video card, then activate the motherboard's integrated graphics (which it should do automatically, once you remove the card). Then, run your game (albeit at lower settings, probably), and see if the problem reoccurs.

If it doesn't, its a problem with your video card. If it does happen again using motherboard integrated graphics, then its a problem with your motherboard.

I hope that helps.

had this problem yesterday fro some reason swtor when you run it for the first time in a while it will force whatever resolution and refresh rate on the monitor that it sees as the highest. Im not sure how I got it to stop but I tried using a secondary screen then if it finally works and the resolution is supported you set swtor to windowed and then you change your res to whatever you want and that might fix it. you could also instead of using another monitor if you dont have one available you can set the program in compatibility mode and do the same which I noted above and that should work too.:)

having looked again at your specs and aforementioned problem your graphics card may be dying are you crossfiring cards or overclocking at all I've run into this problem with the 6900 series to 7850 series cards

I believe in the K.I.S.S method. Check to make sure your fan is running on the graphics card, if it's not, there's your problem. I realize you said you've ruled out overheating on the computer, but you didn't say anything about the graphics card itself. Check that first. I'm speaking from personal experience, currently I have a fan blowing cool air up onto my vid card to keep it from overheating. Edited by DarthDrachonus