are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

Sadishist

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering why people pick dark side and not stay light side if both are equal in power. No reason?

Or just in this game they were equal for gameplay purposes?

Good question. ;)

From experience, I guess it comes down mainly to the race I choose, my perception concerning their overall background and the voice acting. My mood for the day when I start that character also helps as well but there are some exceptions for sure...

For instance, my sorcerer, unlike my assassin, was supposed to be LS in theory but after listening to the female voice acting, she being a rattataki, her look and so forth, I ended up going DS mostly. It just feels more natural to me overall.

Still, to each his own, though I'm not fan of the "dark for the sake of being dark" perspective or vice-versa.

Yoda said the darkside was not greater just quicker, but that might be an article of faith.

Personally I like to have a balance of lightside/darkside characters, it makes the overall experience a bit richer.

Faster, meaning most Sith are younger than equivalently ranked Jedi? The average Sith apprentice can beat the average Jedi padawan, and then they get equal down the road?

I don't get it, they just go dark side to shave a few years off their training, only to become equal to their light side counterparts later?

Edited by Sadishist

the reason the avrage sith apprentice could take down a padawan or avrage jedi even jedi masters for that matter is due to the fact

to become a sith apprentice you got to be better than avarage

you have to kill to get the job

Edited by legolegion

the reason the avrage sith apprentice could take down a padawan or avrage jedi for that matter is due to the fact

to become a sith apprentice you got to be better than avarage

you have to kill to get the job

This is totally right. However, early in a force-users development the dark side is much easier than keeping to the light. The Dark Side is permissive, and doesn't even really penalize you much for straying from time to time. One a force-user reaches their prime, that aspect of the darkside no longer makes progression any easier.

Essentially it seems that developing the discipline and focus of the light side makes it take longer to get all the basics down, as you're dividing your efforts, while the dark side actually makes getting up to speed easier. Once they've got all the basics down and their power has matured, honing their abilities any further is just as hard for both.

Any disparity in apparent power between advanced light and dark force-users is due to the fact that darksiders tend to die early if they aren't exceptionally strong, while lightsiders can live a long and healthy life even if they barely have any power at all. So their top people are about the same, but the Jedi have a lot of weaker members filling out the ranks as well that their Sith counterparts would have horribly murdered.

^ Lightsiders don't exactly live safe, they fight all the time, just not with each other.

No, *some* lightsiders do that, and those are usually the strong ones. A great many stick to the academies, temples, and other places where they can fill a peaceful role without ever ending up in the line of fire. For the Sith, even a researcher is going to have killed a few peers by the time they're well established.

But even if you disagree, the dark side force-users lead much *more* dangerous/violent lives than their light side counterparts.

No, *some* lightsiders do that, and those are usually the strong ones. A great many stick to the academies, temples, and other places where they can fill a peaceful role without ever ending up in the line of fire. For the Sith, even a researcher is going to have killed a few peers by the time they're well established.

But even if you disagree, the dark side force-users lead much *more* dangerous/violent lives than their light side counterparts.

But thing is why go through all that trouble/danger that comes with Dark Side when you can stay Light Side and get equal power? Just trim a few years from training?

But thing is why go through all that trouble/danger that comes with Dark Side when you can stay Light Side and get equal power? Just trim a few years from training?

Because it feels good.

Seriously, think about it like this: You just found out you have superpowers. You realize you have two, *maybe* three, choices. You can A) Enter a monastery, distance yourself from your friends and family, avoid any romantic relationships for the rest of your life, and try to cultivate a nebulously defined "inner peace" to safely develop your powers. Or B) follow your instincts and embrace your emotions to fuel and direct your powers without having to sacrifice anything. The only problem being that you are told that this will eventually lead you to become a horrible evil person.

Now think about it, if someone told you this how much would you *really* believe that you could become an evil monster just because you got some cool powers and refused to become a monk. Surely you would never do any of the crazy, horrible, monstrous things you've heard about a few psychos doing, that's not who you are right? So how dangerous could it really be to keep living your life like you always have, your feelings are what make you human after all, right?

Besides, no one said you had to run off and join the Sith. You can always C) just find your own way. Maybe let the Jedi teach you how to use your powers, but once you've got what you need they can't make you live like a monk, they'll just kick you out of the order. No big deal there, you don't really want to live that life anyway. It's not like you're going to suddenly start murdering or torturing people, you just want to go back to living a fulfilling and enjoyable life of your own.

That's why people take the easy road. Either right away, or once the constant discipline and self-restraint begins to become intolerable. While some people manage to stay "Grey", a lot end up taking the very tempting road all the way down, because it starts with small things and snowballs into bigger things before you catch yourself. You can see a number of dark-side force users who weren't nice people, but weren't looking to blow up random planets for no reason either.

You don't have to go full-on evil to become a powerful dark-side force user, but after a while it can be hard to remember why you aren't committing atrocities for kicks if you let yourself get carried away or end up under the influence of someone who enables you and pushes you to bigger and badder exploits.

There's a lot more I could say on this, but it's largely an expansion of the above.

I can tell you this though. If I became a force user, within a year I'd be fully aligned to the dark-side. Not by choice, but by simple nature. I can't let go, I can't detach from my feelings and instincts, and I will give into my passions. Simple as that.

Edited by AureusVidere

Well while you bring up an excellent thought, you are comparing Jedi with Dark Jedi, not Sith. Sith are not Dark Jedi. Dark Jedi become dark for selfish reasons. Sith actually believe in their cause. And becoming Sith only to have equal power as a Jedi doesn't make sense in Sith philosophy. Edited by Sadishist

They are equally powerful from star wars esoteric pov.

However due to the nature of the dark side and also the training regimes of dark siders its easier to find a powerful dark sider,than a powerful lightsiders.

Also dark side powers are more focused on expressing that power visibly so a very powerful sith sorcerer can overcome and defeat equal jedi master,just because jedi powers are focused in different direction.

Weak sith and darksiders in general can't survive the training to become full-fledged sith and die.So you don't see mediocre sith.

The most contributing factor is the force affinity of the given individual and also his conviction in the part of the force he uses.Not the dark side or the light side per se.

Also would like to point out that an exemplary Sith Lord have somewhat better knowledge of the force because they are not afraid of the light side ,they just choose not to use it or something like that.While jedi are too dogmatic to delve into all force mysteries because of fear of dark side corruption.

Conclusion:

It can be said that Sith delve deeper into force mysteries in general and get corrupted by it,while jedi stay save with clear conscience but restrict themselves to what they can achieve with the force.A conclusion that can be drawn is that any force user can be jedi,while only the strongest can be sith.This of course doens't mean that there aren't awesome powerful jedi,it just means that a big number of the jedi order would be too weak to become sith or survive a sith training.Also if the best of the jedi order somewhat became sith and started using all the force including the dark side to its full potency,they would become more powerful than they were while being jedi.But in the usual case that won't happen cus as said above strong conviction is needed.

Edited by Kaedusz

I believe that they are, yes. My main may be sith, but at heart she believes the potentium perspective.

That being said, I'm not sure one can trust Yoda. Is he going to say "yes!" to one of the last undetected force-sensitives in the empire, one of two "last hopes" remaining? Who is, above all else, the son of Anakin Skywalker? Yoda wasn't a fool. Surely Ben would have said that it depends on what Luke meant by "powerful". ;-)

Edited by Khalhazar

Problem is darkside has many lures, even in thought that your doing good can bring you down. Revan is a prime example, he fell thorugh trying to save people from the mandalorians.

Though i was stating earlyier is why you always find sith stronger than most jedi

not all jedi but most

The way I see it from the way it's been described is that the Dark Side offers quick, easy power, while the Light offers more total power eventually. If you were going to illustrate this in a game, it would be something like a level 12 sith would be much more powerful than a level 12 jedi, but a level 45 jedi would be more powerful than a level 45 sith, with them reaching power equity around level 40ish.

The problem, as noted before, is that a large number jedi are essentially powerful librarians, leading most sith to be able to more or less mow them down.

Because it feels good.

Seriously, think about it like this: You just found out you have superpowers. You realize you have two, *maybe* three, choices. You can A) Enter a monastery, distance yourself from your friends and family, avoid any romantic relationships for the rest of your life, and try to cultivate a nebulously defined "inner peace" to safely develop your powers. Or B) follow your instincts and embrace your emotions to fuel and direct your powers without having to sacrifice anything. The only problem being that you are told that this will eventually lead you to become a horrible evil person.

Now think about it, if someone told you this how much would you *really* believe that you could become an evil monster just because you got some cool powers and refused to become a monk. Surely you would never do any of the crazy, horrible, monstrous things you've heard about a few psychos doing, that's not who you are right? So how dangerous could it really be to keep living your life like you always have, your feelings are what make you human after all, right?

Besides, no one said you had to run off and join the Sith. You can always C) just find your own way. Maybe let the Jedi teach you how to use your powers, but once you've got what you need they can't make you live like a monk, they'll just kick you out of the order. No big deal there, you don't really want to live that life anyway. It's not like you're going to suddenly start murdering or torturing people, you just want to go back to living a fulfilling and enjoyable life of your own.

That's why people take the easy road. Either right away, or once the constant discipline and self-restraint begins to become intolerable. While some people manage to stay "Grey", a lot end up taking the very tempting road all the way down, because it starts with small things and snowballs into bigger things before you catch yourself. You can see a number of dark-side force users who weren't nice people, but weren't looking to blow up random planets for no reason either.

You don't have to go full-on evil to become a powerful dark-side force user, but after a while it can be hard to remember why you aren't committing atrocities for kicks if you let yourself get carried away or end up under the influence of someone who enables you and pushes you to bigger and badder exploits.

There's a lot more I could say on this, but it's largely an expansion of the above.

I can tell you this though. If I became a force user, within a year I'd be fully aligned to the dark-side. Not by choice, but by simple nature. I can't let go, I can't detach from my feelings and instincts, and I will give into my passions. Simple as that.

All hail the wise Force-councilor, for he knows all about the Force and its balances!!!

The way I see it from the way it's been described is that the Dark Side offers quick, easy power, while the Light offers more total power eventually. If you were going to illustrate this in a game, it would be something like a level 12 sith would be much more powerful than a level 12 jedi, but a level 45 jedi would be more powerful than a level 45 sith, with them reaching power equity around level 40ish.

This is nonsense man.Ofc Yoda is gonna say dark side is ''quicker ,more seductive'' ,he is a jedi,so it doesn't go more biased than that.

I have simple question for you. Name one jedi that eventually got more total power than a sith,simply because he was an adherent to the light side,and not because he was stronger in the force or something like that.

Why there isn't a single jedi that got ''eventualy'' more '' total power'' in all EU and movie history?Yoda was a thousand years old ,surely for that long he should have gathered more ''total power'' than the 60-70 or something year old Palpatine.

Edited by Kaedusz

Isn't one of the greatest weaknesses of the Dark Side the fact that they react on emotion which clouds vision? A great example of this is when Darth Malgus murdered his Twi'lek slave/lover Eleena Daru (the one who accompanied him into the Jedi Temple as seen in the opening movies for SWTOR) after the Sacking of Coruscant. Proclaiming that she, because he had feelings for her, was his greatest weakness? Coincidentally after she was spared by a Jedi.

I would argue that being able to control emotion would make you far more powerful than those who thrive on it.

I tend to go along in the moment, when something happens to my character that I don't like or that he/her doesn't seem to like, I tend to react more bluntly. Just like in real life, I guess. I don't really think about going Dark- or Light side, it just happens. The fact that my Sith Juggernaut is Dark and my Trooper Vanguard Light is.. by chance, haha.

Isn't one of the greatest weaknesses of the Dark Side the fact that they react on emotion which clouds vision? A great example of this is when Darth Malgus murdered his Twi'lek slave/lover Eleena Daru (the one who accompanied him into the Jedi Temple as seen in the opening movies for SWTOR) after the Sacking of Coruscant. Proclaiming that she, because he had feelings for her, was his greatest weakness? Coincidentally after she was spared by a Jedi.

I would argue that being able to control emotion would make you far more powerful than those who thrive on it.

I think here's one pivotal point on why the dark side of the Force feels -in my opinion- stronger than the light side: it's easy to get controlled by your emotions. It's true in real life, it's true in the Star Wars universe. And while darksiders would usually tell you that they have the power, what I see most of the times is that the power has them.

Even the Sith Emperor is controlled by emotions. In his case, fear of the death. All he does points towards achieving inmortality of his soul. And thousands of years later, Palpatine fell on the same, his fear of death. Compare that to Darth Bane; he was prepared to die at the hands of Darth Zannah, and in that maybe he was not as dark as he thought he was (well, he was still a mass murderer with the whole thought bomb at Ruusan).

No the reason the jedi control their emotion`s is explained in episode 1, when yoda interveiw`s anakin and say`s why he should not be trained as emointion`s lead to darkside. It has nothing to do with strength, how ever ever noticed how many jedi it takes to take down a sith or a dark jedi

Even the Sith Emperor is controlled by emotions. In his case, fear of the death. All he does points towards achieving inmortality of his soul. And thousands of years later, Palpatine fell on the same, his fear of death. Compare that to Darth Bane; he was prepared to die at the hands of Darth Zannah, and in that maybe he was not as dark as he thought he was (well, he was still a mass murderer with the whole thought bomb at Ruusan).

And the Jedi, in turn are also ruled by fear: a fear of their own emotions. They act out their rites, repeat their mantras, but in the end, they still spend their lives fearing. Sith fear the world around them. Jedi fear themselves. But ultimately, both sides are hypocrites who are controlled by their emotion.

Edited by JLazarillo

I dont think the dark side is stronger by any means. All i see is huge weakness that one can exploit. Arrogance, self confidence, leading to lack of perspective. In often the case when one folows exclusevly his emotions.

I think the light side of the force is stronger in the sense that gives you power without compromising who you realy are, it can take longer, but evidence sugests light always triunf over darkness. Always. It can take time, but wil always prevails. EU and G canon shows this. The will of the force as always the final word.

You cant fight city hall after all. :p

And the Jedi, in turn are also ruled by fear: a fear of their own emotions. They act out their rites, repeat their mantras, but in the end, they still spend their lives fearing. Sith fear the world around them. Jedi fear themselves. But ultimately, both sides are hypocrites who are controlled by their emotion.

The diference of the jedi is when they are one with the force, in full comunion with it, they dont have anything to fear.

If fact they teach you to not fear the dark side. Because you know where fear leads. They might be living in fear of falling, but its not what they teach and what they strive for, and i belive great many jedi faced his fears and were able to live past that fear.

while the sith is the oposite they embrace it. And live for it because it can give them power.

Edited by Spartanik